Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2012 German F1 Grand Prix at Hockenheim

After the race at Silverstone, it really seems to me that this title contest will soon become a straight fight between Alonso, Webber and Vettel.

McLaren appears to have been left behind in performance and they do not appear to know how to find their way back.

Lotus has yet to win a race even though Grosjean and Raikkonen have been scoring some useful points.

Button seems lost in a car that has no front end grip.

I think Webber did the right thing opting to stay at RBR for 2013. RBR didn't have the fastest car at the start of the season but they have rapidly turned things around. By comparison, McLaren has lost its early advantage completely.

Only Ferrari (in the hands of Alonso) has maintained a consistent challenge, even when their car was not the fastest on a particular weekend.

Looking forward to Hockenheim :)

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: 2012 German F1 Grand Prix at Hockenheim

Hockenheim will put immense pressure on Vettel. He needs to outperform Mark, get ahead in the points and fight for championship. On top is the German media, which wants him to succeed really badly.. it will be very interesting to see what he does this upcoming race.

And yep, the track will again not really favor the McLaren so we all expect RBR vs. Ferralonso.. But perhaps Lotus will take a win kiss

Ferrari's Horse Whisperer mocks the rumours about Massa leaving or staying at Ferrari, stating that Ferrari is in no hurry to decide

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/07/horse-whisperer-says-ferrari-in-no-hurry-to-decide-on-massa/

McLaren pit stops now corrected and fastest in the pit lane

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/07/mclaren-pit-stops-back-on-track/

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Pre-race strategy report

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/07/how-the-f1-teams-will-approach-the-german-grand-prix-at-hockenheim/

--

997.1 C2S

Marussia says their car was not at fault in De Villota's tragic accident ... effectively implying it was sadly her own fault

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/07/marussia-report-car-not-at-fault-in-di-villota-testing-accident/

--

997.1 C2S

How was her physical condition then, her medical check? Maybe she suffered a stroke or something.. I imagine she didn't just slam the accelerator, though perhaps it doesn't take much in an F1 car. (no idea) Or perhaps she just dropped the clutch too fast into gear.. Let's just hope she fully recovers. Having lost an eye is bad enough.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/07/sebastian-vettel-cools-ferrari-talk-as-germany-feels-the-pinch-on-f1/

--

997.1 C2S

Nothing against Alonso or Ferrari, but did anyone else notice the announcers during practice repeatedly mentioned that Vettel has never won a GP in the month of July?

With the record the announcers have for making comments which will be overturned during the race, pretty much forces me to predict Vettel for the win tomorrow.   (If you don't like it, don't blame me; blame the announcers. If you do like it, you're welcome).  

If its a wet race then Alonso will have a chance, but f its a dry race (most probably), its going to easy picking for Vettel with his RBR.

And Webber is to far behind and will probably loose to much time on the first stint of the race trying to climb up the ranks while the leaders escape.

--

Gladstone:

Nothing against Alonso or Ferrari, but did anyone else notice the announcers during practice repeatedly mentioned that Vettel has never won a GP in the month of July?

With the record the announcers have for making comments which will be overturned during the race, pretty much forces me to predict Vettel for the win tomorrow.   (If you don't like it, don't blame me; blame the announcers. If you do like it, you're welcome).  

The German media is putting immense pressure on Vettel.. for that alone I hope he shows the world he's matured and takes a solid win Smiley

Atzporsche:

The German media is putting immense pressure on Vettel.. for that alone I hope he shows the world he's matured and takes a solid win Smiley

Not only did he not win, but he will get a penalty for overtaking from outside the track, something that clearly contradicts regulations and he knows it, inspite the lame excuses he has made up afterwards and not man-'ing up to it. RBR already barely escaped penalty this weekend for the altered engine mapping thanks to the rule being a bit ambiguous (it will likely be changed after this weekend now because of this) but the spirit of the rule is clear and their intent was cheating it. They got away on a technicality...

Flawless drive by Alonso, he was like a swiss watch every lap, I would have never guessed he would be able to win on a dry race today. And puts more distance between his inmediate rivals due to his consistency. While Massa scores 12th Smiley

GREAT to see Button is back again!

I don't feel bad to Hamilton's puncture, after what he did he deserved it, what was he thinking overtaking Vettel towards the end of the race? that is a huge no-no, he was lapped withoout any chance of scoring a point on the race and he got mixed up with the leaders of the race? the kid has proven time and time again he has no scrupuls or morals inside the track...

--

Carlos from Spain

I don't feel bad to Hamilton's puncture, after what he did he deserved it, what was he thinking overtaking Vettel towards the end of the race? that is a huge no-no, he was lapped withoout any chance of scoring a point on the race and he got mixed up with the leaders of the race? the kid has proven time and time again he has no scrupuls or morals inside the track...

Hamilton's overtaking was within the rules but very stupid and against racing fair play. Typical Hamilton immaturity.

This incident damaged Vettel's attack on Alonso, not so much from the time lost point of view but it spoilt Vettel's psychology and made him full of nerves. IMO a two times Champion shouldn't allow himself to be so distracted.

I say Grande Alonso. Great control race against faster rival cars. He was never much in front of the others but he managed to maintain his advantage until the flag. This counts more for his quality than a runaway win.

Moreover, now that Ferrari is back in the running, F1 is more interesting.

--

"Form follows function"

As regards the Vettel overtaking of Button, this is what they have to say:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101415

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

As regards the Vettel overtaking of Button, this is what they have to say:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101415

Very lame from Vettel not to man up even in the evidence of the video, the video is undesputable, he went on the outside using a more open curve exit and thus passing Button who followed the proper track line. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awehPqX3iP0

--

Vettel's penalty is 20 seconds, drops to fifth place 

http://en.espnf1.com/germany/motorsport/story/84946.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

It was so obvious he should of giving back the position to Button inmediately and then try to overtake again, with Button's tire problems he would of had no problem, and he would of been rightfully 2nd, at the worst 3rd... typical Vettel under pressure.

--

Masterclass from Alonso, superb return from Button ...

Vettel went all 4 wheels off the track in order to continue and complete the overtaking manoeuvre with full acceleration off the track to get clear of Button. It was clear cut. Vettel said he was leaving room for Button since he didn't know where Button was ... but they weren't even close ... Vettel should have backed out of the manoeuvre when he ran out of road.

The reality is that Vettel did max acceleration off the track since he got better traction that way rather than trying to accelerate on the blue/white kerb. He knew this which is why he stayed off the track. The explanation was a lame lie. Also, in the podium interview with Niki Lauda, he said Button had not complained to him about the overtaking manoeuvre but Button was clearly heard questioning the manoeuvre with Vettel in the pre-podium room. People may look up to Vettel but I don't think he is the honest sportsman that people think he is.

Hamilton was unlucky to get a puncture from the debris of Massa's front wing. It's not right to say he deserved bad luck.

Regarding him unlapping himself, this is allowed by the rules but he cost Vettel some time. It was IMO questionable sportsmanship from Hamilton but RBR were cheating anyway with their engine mapping. Everyone knows what the rule is but they exploited the wording to claim something was permitted that shouldn't be permitted according to the clear spirit of the rule. Anyway, the FIA has said the engine mapping is illegal but has allowed it because of the way the rule is currently drafted so RBR's actions will be short lived. The rule is being redrafted before Hungary to clearly outlaw the engine mapping that RBR has got.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

"I didn't know were Button was"... "I went on the blue slippery paint"... what a lying brat:

--

Ferrari is back at last and there is a good chance "we" take both titles! Hurrah! 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Carlos from Spain:

"I didn't know were Button was"... "I went on the blue slippery paint"... what a lying brat:

Exactly! My understanding of the rules, as per the new interpretation of "passing", was that so long as the front wing of the trailing car is in front of the rear tire - the car behind is now legally considered to be beside the car ahead and the driver of the car ahead while not necessarily required to give right of way, must make room for the car behind (i.e. it can shut the door in a turn but it cannot barge it off the track.)

What Button did was clear. Vettel was beside him at the start, turn-in, and through the entire turn. At the exit of the turn, although Button had a tight inside line he widened his arc and pushed Vettlel off into the run-off area.

Clearly my expectations regarding the 'curse of the announcers' were not met. My expectations were actually wildly exceeded! There won't be any tears falling upon my red F1 t-shirt today. blush

Vettel's move was breathtaking, but back in the day if it had been Shumi there would have been a penalty. I just got back in to see that Vettel is actually getting a penalty for it.  Following in the masters foot steps or tire treads, these things are to be expected.

He could so easily have dropped back and made it happen on the next lap, but brazen is as brazen does???? (Forrest Gump reference for those that don't get it)

Vettel's odds of landing a Ferrari contract some day may have just increased.yes

REALZEUS:

Ferrari is back at last and there is a good chance "we" take both titles! Hurrah! 

Alonso is driving masterfully in a car that is not the fastest. He deserves the title from what we've seen so far. But it's not over yet.

This season the championship will be decided mostly by driving ability and team work rather than car supremacy as it had been the case for many years in the past.

But for the Constructors title a team normally needs 2 cars to gather points. Is Massa still in F1?

--

"Form follows function"

Bueller?   Massa?  Bueller? Massa?

Alonso was awesome, I felt at two times he was taking it easy on the tires, letting Vettel and, later, Button close the gap while they pushed the hell out of their car and tires.  Once the gap got down below 1 second in both cases and the other cars had 10 to 15 laps on their tires, you could see Alonso turn it up another notch and get the gap back to two seconds.  It was absolutely masterful. I wish I understood Italian for those radio communications!  I am not a Ferrari supporter in F1 but I love watching Alonso.

More on Vettel's penalty

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18947482

Andrew Benson's blog on Alonso's win

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2012/07/cool_canny_alonso_looks_diffic.html

Re RBR's engine mapping

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/07/the-red-bull-renault-engine-map-controversy/

--

997.1 C2S

IMO Vettel moved prematurely ... Button said afterwards that his tyres were finished due to chasing down Alonso ... so Vettel could have overtaken him anytime in the next few corners ... instead he did it illegally and it cost him several places in the final result.

--

997.1 C2S

Gary Anderson's view http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18952176

--

997.1 C2S

I couldn´t watch the race so I might´ve missed out on the explanation but in which way does Vettel´s pass differ from Hamilton´s a few races ago? They both had to avoid contact with a competitor while the area beyond the white line was paved and as soon as you pass someone I assume you gained an advantage.

Apart from that, stunning result especially for Alonso and Button. Very curious how the next few races will turn out... devil

Ferdie:

I couldn´t watch the race so I might´ve missed out on the explanation but in which way does Vettel´s pass differ from Hamilton´s a few races ago? They both had to avoid contact with a competitor while the area beyond the white line was paved and as soon as you pass someone I assume you gained an advantage.

Apart from that, stunning result especially for Alonso and Button. Very curious how the next few races will turn out... devil

Exactly, this is just one of those FIA BS we all are so pissed for.  Smiley

Without DNFs in Malaysia, Valencia and this stupid mistake SV would've been clearly in front of everyone and the season ahead would've been much different.Smiley

Ferdie:

The four tires need to be outside the track for it to be illegal, was Hamilton passing with all fours outside the white lline?

--

Yes, he was... What I just don´t understand is how someone going around on the outside can gain such an advantage that it gives him the edge over the competitor.

I also remember that in the past a lot of people used this strip of run-off area to avoid a collision. Not sure but I believe it was Schumacher who once damaged his rear tire because he went over the kerbs with too much speed while returning back onto the defined track area just the way Vettel did.

yes

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764044 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436333 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260968 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257900 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82602 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876708 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808720 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM