Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Could do with some help...Please!!

Hi guys im hoping to get some help. Me and my girlfriend resently (3 weeks ago) bought the new BMW 3 series (328i). Neither of us as really that impressed or enjoying the car. Ive been a Long time porsche fan, my dad had a 997 C4S. We are thinking of handing the car back and actually buying a Porsche. What i could do with some help is, what actually to buy lol. Do we buy a 911 997 mk1 a cayman mk2/boxster... basically my head is spinning and we arent 100% what we should put our money into after the disaster of the BMW!! any help would be amazing Smiley

Re: Could do with some help...Please!!

Welcome to the Porsche addiction. indecision

I'm sorry to hear that (about the 328i), honestly. Unfortunately I think that you just burned a lot of money in the process.

Speaking of Porsche and which one to get: I suppose money is an issue, so yes, the 997 Mk1 would be just fine to provide that typical Porsche feeling. Get a Carrera S though. If you want a Cayman or Boxster, same thing, the "S" model all the way for the ultimate Porsche feeling. All three cars are really nice to drive, all three provide that Porsche feeling you are looking for. For traveling, the 997 may be the better choice (luggage room) but if you travel light, the Cayman and the Boxster can be a lot of fun too.

Good luck with your decision. kiss

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

A 997 mk1 is around the same money as a cayman/boxster mk2. Is there a Huge difference in drive between these, ie the 997 mk1 and say a cayman mk2 (both being an S). Also you think the 2S would be better over the 4S?

Al I can suggest is you go to your nearest friendly Porsche dealer and try a used 997, Boxster and Cayman and see which you prefer. There are strong supporters for both the mid and rear engined cars, driving them yourself is the best way to find what is right for you. We've had both types and could put up a strong argument for either.

Once you've done that then keep scanning the used car website for the right car. For peace of mind if you can afford it buy from an official Porsche dealer, you get the back up of a genuine Porsche warranty to protect you from any unpleasant surprises.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

jamesdamanuk1:

Hi guys im hoping to get some help. Me and my girlfriend resently (3 weeks ago) bought the new BMW 3 series (328i). Neither of us as really that impressed or enjoying the car. Ive been a Long time porsche fan, my dad had a 997 C4S. We are thinking of handing the car back and actually buying a Porsche. What i could do with some help is, what actually to buy lol. Do we buy a 911 997 mk1 a cayman mk2/boxster... basically my head is spinning and we arent 100% what we should put our money into after the disaster of the BMW!! any help would be amazing Smiley

Especially when considering your experience with the BMW, you really need to do an adequately long test-drive with some Porsches before you make your decision. Asking other people's opinions on the net will not help you because we all have different tastes, expectations and prejudices. 

You are unlikely to find private sellers who'll allow you to test drive their cars enough to make a real judgement, which means that you would have to go to a dealer. Not usually the cheapest way to buy an used car in terms of up-front cost but, considering the potential risk of otherwise making another inappropriate choice and the fact that an official dealer would supply you with a thoroughly inspected car and a warranty, it might be the better deal overall. 

--

fritz

jamesdamanuk1:

A 997 mk1 is around the same money as a cayman/boxster mk2. Is there a Huge difference in drive between these, ie the 997 mk1 and say a cayman mk2 (both being an S). Also you think the 2S would be better over the 4S?

Stupid question: If you haven't driven these cars before, how can you judge the 328i? Smiley

Testdrive all of them at your local Porsche dealer and I'm pretty sure you're going to know which one to go for.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Agree with the advice being given.

Test drive a 997, Boxster, Cayman. Decide if you want mid-engine or rear-engined. Decide on RWD or AWD ( I prefer RWD). Decide whether the space/legroom in the Boxster or Cayman are enough. Do you really want a convertible? If so, Boxster or 911 Cab?

NB: if getting a 997.1 or Boxster Mk1, make sure it is about 2006/2007 onwards so that you get the re-designed RMS. It will mean you have much lower (or even zero) chance of the dreaded RMS problem.

Your choices really depend on your budget and how old a car you need to consider to fit your budget.

Don't worry about getting a 4 year old car instead of a 3 year old car. Its condition and how well it's been looked after are more relevant. Plus these cars are built to last many years and many miles. They are built to be driven every day and not garaged delicately.

Decide whether to sell back to BMW then buy/lease from the OPC or whether to part-exchange BMW for the Porsche.

Definitely get a used car from a dealer. The premium you pay gets you a 2 year warranty should anything go faulty. Plus the dealer will check over 100 aspects of the car before providing that warranty so it's a thorough check and gives peace of mind.

Also, you seem a bit panicky and running in lots of directions feeling confused.

First step, take a deep breath. Relax. Try the cars on test drives and then think clearly which car you prefer. Then figure out how to fit it within your budget.

But overall, don't panic. Stay calm. You can easily un-do your mistake. It just comes down to how much it may cost to un-do it.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

thanks for the help guys :) also what is the RMS problem your refering to, not heard of this before?

It's a rubber seal in the engine that, if it fails, can cause engine oil to leak ... eventually, the engine can be starved of sufficient oil and this can cause damage, sometimes expensive damage.

Sorry for the non-technical explanation ... there are other guys here who can explain it more technically :)

The best solution is just to make sure you get a car that is post 2006 model year.

If I recall correctly, the RMS on the 997 and Boxster was re-designed using a design from the Cayenne which drastically reduced this risk.

Having said that, only a small % of cars were affected anyway. But, it's the kind of engine repair which (although rare) can be very expensive to fix if not caught in time.

Also, the small risk was even smaller on the 997 than it was on the 996 before it. So it's important to keep these things in perspective.

There's tons of stuff on the internet about this. Plenty of people posting details of their experiences. Do read it but don't be prepared to believe everything you read on the internet.

Remember, you will hear more from the guys with problems than the guys whose ownership experience has been troublefree. Why would they post? They are too busy enjoying their cars :)

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

My problem at the minute seems to be finding somewhere to actually demo a car, doesnt seem to be easy

No, just contact a variety of Porsche dealers. There are hundreds of used Porsches for sale at the moment through the official Porsche network.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

jamesdamanuk1:

My problem at the minute seems to be finding somewhere to actually demo a car, doesnt seem to be easy

Smiley

The advice above was to approach dealer, meaning an OPC (Official Porsche Centre). You should be able to find the OPCs nearest you on the net. Try www.porsche.com and go to the UK home page to look further. Alternatively, you could mention here where you are based and someone  with local knowledge might be able to advise you which OPC to approach. 

--

fritz

The Porsche used car locator states that there are currently 34 991s, 255 997s and 139 987s available to buy through the UK Porsche dealership network.

http://www.porsche.com/uk/approvedused/usedcarlocator/allmodels/

Why would it be difficult to test drive them?

A demo car would only be for a new car purchase ... i.e. 981 or 991 .... or if the dealership still has 987 or 997 demo cars for models that have not yet been launched in the 981 and 991 model ranges ...

--

997.1 C2S

easy_rider911:

The Porsche used car locator states that there are currently 34 991s, 255 997s and 139 987s available to buy through the UK Porsche dealership network.

http://www.porsche.com/uk/approvedused/usedcarlocator/allmodels/

Why would it be difficult to test drive them?

A demo car would only be for a new car purchase ... i.e. 981 or 991 .... or if the dealership still has 987 or 997 demo cars for models that have not yet been launched in the 981 and 991 model ranges ...

Geography maybe, if a desired car is in the north east of the country and the prospective client in the south west. 

A dealer might be able to help out though with a test drive in a late-model 987 if, for example, the customer is seriously interested in another earlier, and therefore cheaper, 987 which might be standing around in some other part of the country. The cheaper car would then need to be trucked to the customer's location if he expressed serious interest. Smiley

--

fritz

Sure, agreed. Geography is important for a specific car ...

But, at this stage, he merely needs to try out the different models to see which one fits his needs best. So he should be able to approach the nearest dealer ... so I agree with your final paragraph :)

--

997.1 C2S

Second everything that has been said above. What aspects are you not satisfied with on the 3-series? That answer might decide which Porsche model would be suitable for you.

If you consider getting any 987 or 997 model I´d source it from an OPC and continue the used-car warranty during the time of ownership. Certainly not cheap but possibly more relaxing... 

Hey guys a little update for this morning. Managed to test drive a boxster s with pdk for 24 hours. Unbelievable machine :D it's basically everything the BMW isn't and a hole lot more as well. We are going to look at a black one today and hopefully try and sort some kind of deal out :p. I'll try and post some pictures as soon as I can

Pleased to hear you managed an extended drive, and hopefully you've found the right car. As we know to our own cost it's hugely expensive when you get it wrong, ( we cocked up by buying the wrong Porsche), so if I were you I'd try both a Cayman and a 997, although for the same money you would get an older car with a 997, not that it matters as long as the car has been properly looked after and maintained. If you ar on a fairly tight budget 997s are more expensive to run and insurance costs are significantly higher than Boxster / Cayman. But many say that the 997 are the "real" Porsche expperience, but I don't agree with that as they are all great drivers cars.

Our own findings having owned them all : Boxster is great plus the open top experience, Cayman has the same mid engined precision, only a bit more so due to the more rigid coupe body, ride much firmer than the equivalent Boxster though. 997 faster than Boxster / Cayman, at least in a straight line, better rear end traction getting off the line in a hurry, and more room inside, not only because of the two kids only rear seats, but, and this might be critical if you are tall with long legs, more room behind the wheel.

If you do go touring it's amazing how much stuff you can pack Ian Boxster with front and rear boots, compared with other sports cars that only have a tiny rear boot. I wouldn't want to attempt a touring holiday in a BMW Z or a Mercedes SLK both of which are greatly inferior to drive than a Boxster. You can store even more in a 997 with the rear seat backs folded.

--

Hey guys another update again. We fell in love with the boxster But, we went back to the BMW dealer we bought the car from and did some number crunching to get out of the car we had already got. To get out of our car an put a deposit on the boxster was going to cast £6.500! That breaks down to a £1000 on the Porsche and £5,500 on the BMW. The guys and BMW then said they would scratch off the £5,500 if we stayed with them. 5 hours later and a great amount of thinking deliberating we bought a special edition M3 in Dakar yellow :p. Its not quite a Porsche but the M3 is a hell of a car! We get it next week so I'll stick some pictures up :). 

Did you drive that car prior to purchase?

I was thinking the same thing ...

What was so wrong with the 328 that was 'fixed' by the M3? Exhaust/engine sound?

--

997.1 C2S

The 328i is a 2.0 twin turbo and I really didn't like the power delivery, it was all or nothing! Yes we had a good drive in the m3 and it's much sportier, much nicer sounding and muh more responsive. Plus after thinking about it having the rear seats might not be such a bad thing. I think we will keep this for awhile save and get a 911 next, the m3 is hardly a bad car and who can complain at having a 4.0 V8 in there life :p. 

Is the M3 still in production? When is the new one coming out?

--

"Form follows function"

Yeh it is the new one is around 2 years away, we got a used m3 as its already taken a hit in the price, 2009 so not to old. The next one is going to be around a 3.0 to 3.5 twin turbo so a very different engine all together. Plus that V8 roar is rather lovely :p

http://mobile.sytner.co.uk/content/used-cars/details.aspx?id=7328256&car=0%2CBMW%2CM3%2CCOUPE%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C1337%2C0%2C0...

This is the actual car, I realise the colour will decide opinion but at least it's different :D

I can certainly see the appeal, that's an awful lot of performance car for the money, with an incredible engine only BMW could make. I quite like the individual colour as well.

Here's hoping you will be happy with the M3 kiss

--

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

I meant devide opinion lol silly iPhone. Yeh I liked the colour more then I thought, if someone had said would you buy a yellow m3 I'd have laughed and said no. But weirdly it's strangely appealing, plus im a total sucker for anything special edition haha

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690554 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409807 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256048 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235284 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858479 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774754 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM