Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: NEW - Aston Martin AM 310 Vanquish

The front spoiler/apron damages the design. Perhaps if they had part of it painted?

Anyway, they must do something about it before they start deliveries.

--

"Form follows function"

This car looks probably much better in the flesh as on pics.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I love the car but the cockpit (Tacho) looks like on the old one. Not enough display technology there, this is not like a 2012 car should be equipped!

Catfiish like front end, seats upholstered with dead extra terrestials,not enough go, dated IP,wacko-tacho...

And they want a lot of money for it!heart

Lars997:
    I love the car but the cockpit (Tacho) looks like on the old one. Not enough display technology there, this is not like a 2012 car should be equipped!

I could not agree more.
    Like it or not, cockpit areas are now technology showcases. Command modules is what they should be called now.
    The Lexus LFA completely changed the game with the way the entire dash changes depending on which mode the car is in.

When you are driving you want a few pieces of relevant info, -- speed, rpm's, and maybe temp + oil pressure. The best way to get that info is a HUD second best is the clearest, least distracting display possible. The old analog display on my car does a great job. I know Corvettes and Camaro's have had HUD's, don't know about other cars.

These arcade style guages must be for buyers in congested area's that get bored sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.  

racerx:

When you are driving you want a few pieces of relevant info, -- speed, rpm's, and maybe temp + oil pressure. The best way to get that info is a HUD second best is the clearest, least distracting display possible. The old analog display on my car does a great job. I know Corvettes and Camaro's have had HUD's, don't know about other cars.

These arcade style guages must be for buyers in congested area's that get bored sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.  

Ah, and therein lies the crux. They're not made for [you] Racer X, it's more a factor of appealing to the next generation of buyers who grew up on video games and electronic displays that feed every data metric available and kids whose eyes and brains have been trained, again through years of video games, to take in an absorb all this information. 

Take a look at any of the modern combat shooter games. The amount of things going on screen and in the small game map, player status, and data feed areas is something that only a fighter pilot experiences or someone working in a command and control HQ.

I believe the first manufacturer to cross over into this new era of data-informational displays was Nissan with the last generation GT-R.

BTW - BMW also offers a HUD on a few of their models.

Ferrari first offered this kind of info on the Enzo ten years ago, so it's nothing really new.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Heist:

Ah, and therein lies the crux. They're not made for [you] Racer X, it's more a factor of appealing to the next generation of buyers who grew up on video games and electronic displays that feed every data metric available and kids whose eyes and brains have been trained, again through years of video games, to take in an absorb all this information.

It's funny you say that, I removed a line from my above response before posting about the age demographic of a Vanquish buyer. So I would agree with you on that.

Also the reason why I sometimes have to shut my eyes watching some tv shows and video's when they constantly change the camera angle or pic. So annoying.Smiley

REALZEUS:

Ferrari first offered this kind of info on the Enzo ten years ago, so it's nothing really new.

Actually it was already there on the F 50 albeit with fewer performance indicators.

--

911 Club Coupe, 72' 911 Targa 2.4 S, 12' Audi S4 Avant

m4ever:
    REALZEUS:

Actually it was already there on the F 50 albeit with fewer performance indicators.

True! Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

The R-34 was released 3-4 years before the Enzo.

This model year,

Not the new ugly thing (R-35).

See previous post. wink

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

The one on the F50 kinda reminds of 16-bit graphics from the 90's angry

The one that really ticked my box was on the new Cayenne/991

The 991 is pretty cool - you have the old school and you find all you need for the new school department. 

Same with Ferrari - it is spot on!

palenimbus:

At least porsche innovates technically, the Aston is using the same old platform and engine

and what did Porsche, Jaguar etc. all the last years? Porsche developed for the 996 the first brand new engined and modified this engine until the end of the 997 MK1. So what is the problem? The VH structure has the best rigidity. Smiley

KF:
    palenimbus:

At least porsche innovates technically, the Aston is using the same old platform and engine

and what did Porsche, Jaguar etc. all the last years? Porsche developed for the 996 the first brand new engined and modified this engine until the end of the 997 MK1. So what is the problem? The VH structure has the best rigidity. Smiley

Smiley 29

I did after all start this argument and was wondering if someone would agree with me. It seems its fine for Porsche to do it all these years and nobody bats an eyelid (except Jeremy Clarkson).

But when another company tries it, you get! "Why would anybody want to buy this" and "have they run out of ideas",

So using that logic! Why would anybody want to buy a 997 if they already have a 996? Didn't stop many a 996 owner trading up though did it. 

I think some people should give Aston Martin a break, they’re a small car manufacturer that actually makes a profit. Which is no easy task, just ask Lotus. 

They have to cut their cloth accordingly and can't afford to develop a new platform for every model. So what's wrong with updating the current one, especially since the VH platform is actually quite a good one!

If you don't like the looks of it fine, buy a Maserati instead. But saying no one will buy it because it uses the old platform and doesn't look much different from its predecessor is a bit rich. It's a heavily updated platform and looks significantly different to the DBS, more so than the 996 vs 997.

KF:

and what did Porsche, Jaguar etc. all the last years? Porsche developed for the 996 the first brand new engined and modified this engine until the end of the 997 MK1. So what is the problem? The VH structure has the best rigidity. 

The "problem" is not the platform but the execution of this particular model. This car looks and feels as yet another variant of the very same car. DB9, Virage, DBS and now the AM310 are essentially all the same car but with different details, engine output and name. I guess you know better than anyone that they do feel different but if it boils down there are basically just two cars that are very interesting, the DB9 and DBS. The Virage should, to me, be the worthy successor of the DB9 and not an additional model. I cannot yet see the point of the AM 310 judging by these pictures but maybe this will be different once seen in person.

Porsche, since the 996, has launched yet another engine generation yet an entirely new chassis for the 981 and 991 series. 

jaffamonkey:

I did after all start this argument and was wondering if someone would agree with me. It seems its fine for Porsche to do it all these years and nobody bats an eyelid (except Jeremy Clarkson).

Porsche develops cars that are more or less entirely new which should look similar to the predecessor, AM puts out cars that are technically very similar yet look different. Guess that´s a rather opposing strategy.

Ferdie:
    jaffamonkey:

Porsche develops cars that are more or less entirely new which should look similar to the predecessor, AM puts out cars that are technically very similar yet look different. Guess that´s a rather opposing strategy.

The 991 represents the third all new platform in nearly 50 years of 911 development. The first platform of which Porsche managed to stretch out for 35 years. Only offering an "entirely" new model in 1998 with the 996.

I'm not complaining about it, it's good business sense. But I don't see why Aston Martin should be flamed for doing the same thing.

I'll admit there seems to be little point to the DB9 in the range and I assume it's going to be dropped soon. But the Vantage, Virage, Rapide and Vanquish are significantly different cars at different price points. 

Ferdie:
    The "problem" is not the platform but the execution of this particular model. This car looks and feels as yet another variant of the very same car. DB9, Virage, DBS and now the AM310 are essentially all the same car but with different details, engine output and name. I guess you know better than anyone that they do feel different but if it boils down there are basically just two cars that are very interesting, the DB9 and DBS. The Virage should, to me, be the worthy successor of the DB9 and not an additional model. I cannot yet see the point of the AM 310 judging by these pictures but maybe this will be different once seen in person.

The Vanquish replaces DBS. Those who have seen the new Vanquish in the flesh are pretty blown away with its looks... I havnt seen one yet, but now a lot more pics are out on the Aston forums I have to say my initial reservations have subsided and I think it looks great too.

I am told by a very good source that the Virage will be discontinued very soon, as will the DB9.  The virage will then be trimmed down a little in spec and relaunched as the new DB9.  A Virage pack will be available for the new DB9 to take it back up to the current virage spec.

You have missed one very important "significant" model out - the V12 Vantage (the GT3 of the Aston range) which is the pick of the crop from a drivers perspective!  I am a little biased on this point having just bought my 2nd V12V about 3 weeks ago!  I'll post up another thread so as not to de-rail this one too much.

Adam2S:

You have missed one very important "significant" model out - the V12 Vantage (the GT3 of the Aston range) which is the pick of the crop from a drivers perspective!  I am a little biased on this point having just bought my 2nd V12V about 3 weeks ago!  I'll post up another thread so as not to de-rail this one too much.

The Vanquish replaces DBS. Those who have seen the new Vanquish in the flesh are pretty blown away with its looks... I havnt seen one yet, but now a lot more pics are out on the Aston forums I have to say my initial reservations have subsided and I think it looks great too.

I am told by a very good source that the Virage will be discontinued very soon, as will the DB9.  The virage will then be trimmed down a little in spec and relaunched as the new DB9.  A Virage pack will be available for the new DB9 to take it back up to the current virage spec.

I completely left out the Vantage model as that is a separate model in my eyes. Congratulations to your acquisition, I can totally understand your fascination for that car.

Smiley

jaffamonkey:
    Ferdie:

The 991 represents the third all new platform in nearly 50 years of 911 development. The first platform of which Porsche managed to stretch out for 35 years. Only offering an "entirely" new model in 1998 with the 996.

I see where you are coming from and those are certainly valid points. There is one more thing I´d like to add though since I was primarily referring to Porsche´s strategy since the Wiedeking era. Wiedeking introduced different life cycles and model strategies and obviously found a much bigger customer base for those water-cooled models. Before that, Porsche built cars on a much smaller scale and tried to save money by introducing updates on a far longer timespan. Those cars back then looked comparatively conservative and weren´t changed that significantly. As I said above, AM changes the cosmetics rather frequently yet the

<deleted>

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776091 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441087 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262443 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260619 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84991 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880118 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815146 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM