Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2012 European F1 Grand Prix at Valencia

7 races, 7 different winners. Lots of thrilling races. I've been enjoying the 2012 F1 season immensely so far. I hope the action and drama goes right down to the wire.

Valencia comes next. Not the most exciting circuit though unfortunately. I wonder how much longer there will be a race there. Let's see.

Less than 2 weeks to go. Can't wait :)

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: 2012 European F1 Grand Prix at Valencia

Interesting article on possible driver moves at the end of the 2012 season

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/05/hamilton-and-schumacher-the-key-to-2013-f1-driver-market/

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Interesting but i really don't see Lewis fitting in at Mercedes or Ferrari... It's therefore hard to image that he will move anywhere next season. The rumor jumped after some criticism from him in Monaco, but i think the media read into it too much.. it was simple frustration and very natural coming from him in a way.

More interesting is if Schumi will continue, I had hoped he would build Mercedes up with his knowledge, and he may be doing his best, but it isn't going anywhere fast enough.. I fear that I'm growing impatient wanting Mercedes to succeed and so must also a few other people, namely at Mercedes HQ. Schumi is the greatest driver ever, he built Ferrari up to be the most successful era for them, but it just isn't cutting it at Benz. When Nico constantly outperforms him, I wonder what other drivers could do in his seat...

I think it's a bit early for discussing next season as I do expect most top teams to remain the same.. We do however have a lot of move possibilities in the back and mid pack of the field, with quite a few rookies etc. But i think till the end of July, it's still very much open as we have no clue who will become Champion or which Constructor for that matter. Until then it's a focus from race to race for most all involved in F1 right now. We still have a Lotus and Sauber to take a win this season!!

Oh and Valencia is so boring, i'm glad i'll be gone on my road trip to Venice during this GP.

easy_rider911:

Valencia comes next. Not the most exciting circuit though unfortunately. I wonder how much longer there will be a race there. Let's see.

This Grand Prix is an aberration and should not exist !  It gives actually a very bad image of F1 as the circuit would better fit horse racing. They just need to change the tarmac for nice grass . I can't understand why it still exist. Must be enough $ involved for F1 Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

It must be all about money cause it sure ain't for the spectacle, its the most boring GP of the year heart

--

I agree

There will be race in 2014, 2016 and 2018,  alternating with Barcelona (2013, 2015, 2017, 2019)

Interesting article from James Allen on Jenson Button's recent problems

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/06/whats-happened-to-jenson-buttons-form/

And Sauber says their 2012 car is the best one they have made

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/06/sauber-this-is-the-best-f1-car-weve-ever-produced/

Well, it's certainly the most successful car they have made ... thanks to Sergio Perez's driving.

Kamui Kobayashi has not had the same kind of results in the same car. Sauber will really miss Perez when he eventually leaves them in 2013 or 2014 to go to a better team.

--

997.1 C2S

Pre-race strategy briefing from James Allen

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/06/lotus-and-sauber-to-spring-a-surprise-in-valencia/

--

997.1 C2S

easy_rider911:

Interesting article from James Allen on Jenson Button's recent problems

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/06/whats-happened-to-jenson-buttons-form/

And Sauber says their 2012 car is the best one they have made

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/06/sauber-this-is-the-best-f1-car-weve-ever-produced/

Well, it's certainly the most successful car they have made ... thanks to Sergio Perez's driving.

Kamui Kobayashi has not had the same kind of results in the same car. Sauber will really miss Perez when he eventually leaves them in 2013 or 2014 to go to a better team.

It's a shame about JB, he's one of my favorite drivers and I'm hoping McL can figure out the issues and set the car up to fit his style, IMO he's one of the cleanest and most meticulous drivers in F1, always pushing the car to its limits but maintaining a smooth and precise driving style. 

If Perez gets put into a Ferrari or another of the more competitive cars he is going to fly on the track. I'm hoping to see him in red for next season, he might even give Alonso a run for his #1 spot if Alonso underestimates him. 

Somehow Perez gets good results by going easy on his tyres and doing one less pit stop than most other drivers.

This is fine in the midfield but, at the top end, being on the right tyre at the right time is crucial for both qualification and each stint of the race.

I wonder whether Perez's strategy fits with what is required at the sharp end of the grid.

--

997.1 C2S

Ferrari's Nikolas Tombazis on the car's improvement heading into Valencia

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/06/ferrari-designer-tombazis-pleased-with-big-improvement/

--

997.1 C2S

Some interesting profiles of some of the greatest F1 drivers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18492552

--

997.1 C2S

Interesting stuff - Vettel has a pre-contract to join Ferrari in 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18524133

Vettel's pre-contract with Ferrari and also his current contract with RBR both have 2-way performance related conditions. No surprises there.

The other interesting aspect is that Alonso must obviously be willing to accept Vettel joining Ferrari but not Hamilton. (Otherwise Alonso would have vetoed it).

IMO there will be the same antagonism between Alonso and Vettel as Vettel has had with Webber and which Alonso has had with Hamilton in the past at McLaren.

But Alonso is a very smart guy. His different stances (to Vettel and Hamilton) IMO have nothing to do with the antagonism there would be. He can live with that since he is a strong and self-confident character who doesn't mind getting embroiled in politics.

IMO the difference is because he thinks Hamilton is as fast as (or possibly faster than) him whereas he thinks Vettel isn't. So, no matter what politics might arise, he thinks he will come out on top on the track.

Clearly, Alonso credits Vettel's achievements more to the superior RBR car in 2010 and 2011 rather than to Vettel himself taking the car to a level beyond what was expected of it.

My own view FWIW is that Vettel squeezed the maximum out of the RBR car in 2011. He was virtually error free. That level of consistency indicates a driver is truly focussed on the task at hand. This does not mean however that Vettel outperformed the car, just that he made the absolute most of it, which itself is no small achievement and showed that Vettel was at the top of his game in 2011.

Alonso, however, has outperformed the awful Ferrari car in 2011 and so far in 2012. The Ferrari seems to be a much better car now than it was earlier in the 2012 season so let's see if Alonso really can take things up a few notches.

All this leaves Hamilton at McLaren, where he sometimes has the most competitive car but often does not. Is that going to be enough to satisfy a driver of his natural speed? He is clearly hungry for more titles. I wonder where he will go to achieve that aim?

I personally do not think he will go to Mercedes. OK, Rosberg won one race. IMO that is not enough to justify Hamilton leaving to replace Schumi (whenever he retires). RBR will need to fill Vettel's place. Would Hamilton go there? Maybe. I think a lot depends on how competitive RBR remains in 2013 before Vettel leaves.

But why would Hamilton want to join RBR if Vettel choses to leave? Vettel would only leave RBR if he thought the team would be less competitive than Ferrari. So what is the point for Hamilton to leave McLaren for RBR if Vettel thinks they are weakening? The only scenario would be if Hamilton fears McLaren are weakening even more than RBR IMO.

It will be facinating to see what moves these drivers make in the months ahead (and to try to deconstruct the kind of thought processes behind them).

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

100% agree wink

also agree 100%

--

Alonso is now saying that he would be happy for Hamilton to be his future team mate so this contradicts the information given to the BBC. IMO Alonso is simply trying to downplay the previous statement. I wouldn't take it literally.

IMO Alonso is a team leader who can galvanise the efforts of hundreds of people back at the factory behind him. He can develop a car. He is a political person who can handle pressure. Hamilton does not have these skills and may never acquire them. Hamilton IMO is just that little bit quicker than Alonso on track.

One other key difference IMHO is this. Alonso is mentally tough and will relentlessly extract 100% from the car for lap after lap doing effectively dozens of back to back qualification laps if he has to. Hamilton may have more pace over a single lap but I don't see him as being someone who can be relied upon dependably to do 30 qualification laps in a row in the way one could expect this from Alonso.

He also says he would be happy for Massa to continue as well. Yeah right. Massa doesn't contribute much to the Constructor's Championship nor to the development of the car. He is ballast holding the team back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18542058

--

997.1 C2S

Friday Practice text commentary

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18532910

http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/482

--

997.1 C2S

easy_rider911:

Alonso is now saying that he would be happy for Hamilton to be his future team mate so this contradicts the information given to the BBC. IMO Alonso is simply trying to downplay the previous statement. I wouldn't take it literally.

Right, there is no way Alonso will allow Hamilton in Ferrari, hell will freeze over first. He is just being politically correct. He will not repeat that mistake again, it cost him not only the two years in McLaren in which he had no chances of winning the title with the problems he had at McLaren & Hamilton, but also the other years waiting in Renault for an opening in a top team to be able to challange for the tittle, and thats a lot of wated years in F1 which are limited. If Alonso would of gone to Ferrari instead of moving to McLaren back then, who knows how many titles he would have now... Hamilton and Alonso may be more mauture now but they just don't mix. That said I don't see Vettel and Alonso mixing well either... and its not Ferrari's strategy to put two alpha males in their two cars, but rather an alpha and a "esquire"...

--

Practice laptimes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/9713553.stm

--

997.1 C2S

Qualification lap times

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/9713552.stm

--

997.1 C2S

I think the pattern of a different winner for each race will be broken tomorrow. I don't think anything will stop Vettel.

Shocked that Webber DRS failed.

LCdM looked distraught when both Alonso and Massa failed to reach Q3.

--

997.1 C2S

Pastor Maldonado is the biggest plonker alive !! If I were Lewis, I will knock him out Smiley

What a race. Sad to see that Vettel and Grosjean had to quit the race prematurely but I don´t think many people would´ve predicted that outcome. Haven´t seen Alonso that emotional or Schumacher that relaxed before.

EPIC, abosolutely EPIC! Alonso is in a class of his own... starting 11th, not having the best car  as we could see in Qualy and in a track like Valencia making pass after pass, on the inside on the outside whatever, managing the tires, the pit stops, holding its persuers, etc... and actually winnining the race???... EPIC.

No wonder he was so emotional today, not only being at a home GP, but also after such a race he did. He will remember this one all his life. What a lesson he gave today.

Also I'm so glad for Webber, coming from 19th and scoring a 4th place, and now he is 2nd in the championship! so glad for him...

Too bad for Vettel but that's the races (Hamilton was leading the championship and look what happene to him), but I can't feel too sad for Vettel since he had a car today that was on a different league, it wasn't even fair that he could race with such a difference vs the other cars. This is the bad news of the day, it seems like RBR's new aerodinamic package gave RBR the advantage of previous season. We will have to see the next races what happens, but if so this means the end of this year's exiting competition between drivers and uncertainty, and instead we will see a "car" win the championship again with pole to the finish line race after race surprise

Schumacher on podium.. only took him over two years and 4 DNF in front of him to do it 

Sad to see Button having so many problems with the car  surprise

--

GRANDE GRANDE GRANDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOR ME ONE OF THE BEST F1 RACES I HAVE EVER SEEN !!!!! 

FERNANDO ALONSO IS JUST EPIC !!!!!!  WHAT A RACE !!!!!!! 

GRANDEEE     FERNANDOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--

Carlos we just just described everything in ONE word: EPIC !!!!

kiss

--

Italo:

Pastor Maldonado is the biggest plonker alive !! If I were Lewis, I will knock him out Smiley

Why? Even looking at the incident in favor of Hamilton he did nothing to avoid the crash. Rather the opposite, he deliberately provoked the collision as he didn´t leave any room. I can´t say that was clever driving.

Smiley

Ferdie:
    Italo:

Why? Even looking at the incident in favor of Hamilton he did nothing to avoid the crash. Rather the opposite, he deliberately provoked the collision as he didn´t leave any room. I can´t say that was clever driving.

Smiley

+1

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

what room should he have left, he had the racing line...Maldonado is a moron ! He did the same to Lewis last year and did it intentionally again today. what a disgrace Smiley

Ferdie:
    Italo:

Smiley

right, also Hamilton had no chances of holding off Maldonado's passing attempts who's pace was much much faster, it was a matter of one lap at the most, Hamilton made a desperate and useless attempt typical of him risking everthing, and collided yet once again with another driver... not very clever in deed, instead of coming in third for good points for the championship he riks all points for something that was inevitable. BTW is there anyone in the grid Hamilton hasen't collided yet with? Smiley Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689891 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409410 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255819 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235060 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65577 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858159 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774259 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM