Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

981 S - AMS performance comparo : Z4 35is, SLK 350, TT RS Roadster

Test in latest AMS issue:

Hockenheim Kleiner Kurs laptime/ 0-100km/h / 100 - 0 

Boxster S 1:13.8min / 4.8sec / 32.9m 
    Z4 35is 1:17.6 min / 5.0sec / 36.2m 
    SLK350 1:19.7 min / 6.1sec / 37.1m 
    TT RS Roadster 1:15.5 min / 4.4sec / 37.1m 

BTW 997.2 S PDK (on Sport-tires !!) did 1:13.4 according to Sportauto Supertest

Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Re: 981 S - AMS performance comparo : Z4 35is, SLK 350, TT RS Roadster

What gearboxes were on all the cars? 0-60 for TTRS looks very slow if it was Stronic. Road and Track got 3.6, but from the coupe to 60.

Porsche-Jeck:

Test in latest AMS issue:

Hockenheim Kleiner Kurs laptime/ 0-100km/h / 100 - 0 

Boxster S 1:13.8min / 4.8sec / 32.9m 
    Z4 35is 1:17.6 min / 5.0sec / 36.2m 
    SLK350 1:19.7 min / 6.1sec / 37.1m 
    TT RS Roadster 1:15.5 min / 4.4sec / 37.1m 

BTW 997.2 S PDK (on Sport-tires !!) did 1:13.4 according to Sportauto Supertest

Smiley

You are reading AMS after all...Smiley

991CS did 1:10,4min with normal P Zero tires-Sport Auto Supertest.

KresoF1:
    You are reading AMS after all...Smiley

Haha, you got me Smiley Only pages pages 48-53 Smiley

And yes, performance advantage of the 991S over the predeccessor is also very impressive. Still quite an achievement for the new BoxsterS being basically on par with the 997.2 S Coupé - a car with 70 horses more...

The bad brake performance of the other cars is quite scary - they basically need a car length more than the BoxsterS to come to a full halt from 100 km/h Smiley

@chinstts: none of the cars with manual gearbox.

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

KresoF1:

Meaning: The 981 is a fine car, no doubt about it but not even close to the performance of the 991 CS. Smiley

3 seconds in Hockenheim Kleiner Kurs is a huge difference.

Btw: Even my 1800 kg C63 AMG Coupe PP did Hockenheim faster than the Boxster S. Smiley Just saying...since everybody seems to be bragging about the fantastic mid engined concept (which in fact it is, compared to the closer competition like the review in Sport Auto has proven).

Oh...Boxster S...0-200 kph in 18.6 seconds according to the latest Sport Auto Supertest.

Sport Auto tested the C63 AMG PP at 13.6 seconds from 0-200 kph...this is 5(!) seconds faster.

Just saying... Smiley

I paid 76k EUR for a C63 AMG Coupe PP fully loaded, 4 months old and 300 km on the speedo. A brand-new Boxster S with similar options would have been 90k EUR. Ouch.

Don't get me wrong: In it's category, the Boxster S is a fantastic offer, a little bit price though but it is in no way a real competitor for the 991 or other "upper league" cars, sorry to say that.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (at Porsche right now), BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Chinstts:

What gearboxes were on all the cars? 0-60 for TTRS looks very slow if it was Stronic. Road and Track got 3.6, but from the coupe to 60.

I heard that Audi changed the software to avoid damages to the drivetrain, thus resulting in slightly slower 0-100 kph acceleration times. Not sure if this is correct though, maybe Kreso knows more about it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (at Porsche right now), BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

I paid 76k EUR for a C63 AMG Coupe PP fully loaded, 4 months old and 300 km on the speedo. A brand-new Boxster S with similar options would have been 90k EUR. Ouch.

... but it is in no way a real competitor for the 991 or other "upper league" cars, sorry to say that.

In an other thread you stated that it doesn't make sense to compare a BoxsterS with a Carrera Cab but now you compare a BoxsterS with a AMG Coupé ?

As for "competition": when it comes to cars I know only two kind of competitions: one kind of competition takes place at the track and the other one takes place in the marketplace - the latter one obviously the reason why carmags (and potential buyers) compare a Boxster with other two seated cabs and not with an AMG sedan or a GT-R.

--

please, no more Boxster vs 997 vs 991 arguments.... and 981 vs C63?!?!  

whats next.   981S vs GTR? angry  (about the same price here in OZ)

sorry.. just saying..

--

BMW 1 M + C63. 

Chrisitan,

Yes, 3s on Klein Kurs Hockenheim is a huge difference. BTW, 981 Boxster S Nordschleife time according to today's Sport Auto Supertest is 8:04min... That is not that brilliant time after all since test car was equiped with all drive dynamics options.

IF someone wants faster small mid engine sportscar from Porsche then wait for new Cayman S(or Cayman TurboSmiley) is mandetory.

Regarding TT RS + your info is correct. To add current TT platform is clearly showing its age.

derder:

please, no more Boxster vs 997 vs 991 arguments.... and 981 vs C63?!?!  

whats next.   981S vs GTR? angry  (about the same price here in OZ)

sorry.. just saying..

I didn't start them... Smiley

--

Porsche-Jeck:
    RC:

... but it is in no way a real competitor for the 991 or other "upper league" cars, sorry to say that.

In an other thread you stated that it doesn't make sense to compare a BoxsterS with a Carrera Cab but now you compare a BoxsterS with a AMG Coupé ?

I didn't start making something out of the Boxster which it clearly isn't... Smiley

--

KresoF1:

Chrisitan,

Yes, 3s on Klein Kurs Hockenheim is a huge difference. BTW, 981 Boxster S Nordschleife time according to today's Sport Auto Supertest is 8:04min... That is not that brilliant time after all since test car was equiped with all drive dynamics options.

IF someone wants faster small mid engine sportscar from Porsche then wait for new Cayman S(or Cayman TurboSmiley) is mandetory.

Regarding TT RS + your info is correct. To add current TT platform is clearly showing its age.

Smiley

Btw, just to make it clear: If I had to decide getting a smaller fun car with two seats and in the 80k price range, I would definitely choose the new Boxster S.

--

sand8dune:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/spy-photos/caught-testing-2012-mercedes-benz-slk-63-amg/gallery

I rather suspect this is an old camo photo of the current SLK 55 AMG? Smiley The article doesn't seem to have a date.

As far as I heard, AMG won't use the current V8 6.2 l engine in the SLK (and any other completely new model for that matter) and the bi-turbo version doesn't fit.

Only car which could still get the N/A 6.2 l AMG V8 engine is the rumored C63 Cabriolet...if it comes. I rather suspect though that it won't show up with the current C-class generation.

--

Porsche-Jeck:

The bad brake performance of the other cars is quite scary - they basically need a car length more than the BoxsterS to come to a full halt from 100 km/h

Guess it´s more the Porsche having better brakes than the others having bad ones. Smiley

RC:

So let me get this straight, you compare the dealer price for a used four-seater coupe with the list price of a brand new convertible? Sounds reasonable... Smiley

In all seriousness though, I get your point. The Boxster certainly is no cheap offer but on the other hand it offers more than some people are looking for in a car. Interestingly even Chris Harris and some others state that and that´s coming from a guy owning an RS 4.0. I guess though that his idea of a proper sportscar is a different one than your´s which is perfectly fine. I just do not see how you personally could be happy with a Boxster. On the other hand I am surprised you could settle for anything less than a Turbo so I was a little surprised that you were going for the GTS convertible. I just don´t think that car ticket all necessary boxes for you.

And to add one more comment which affects all those PDK vs. manual or Boxster vs. 911 debates, for many of us here the essence of driving a car is the interaction with the machine. For you it is the numerical and objective speed of it. Therefore we will never agree in these things as the applicable choices are vastly different.

wink

The Boxster is an excellent car on its own but  most potential buyers fall in two categories:

1. Those you want a real performance car for  whom the Boxster although fast around bends it is overall not super quick.
    2. Those who want a nice summer roadster for whom the Boxster is either too expensive compared to BMW and Mercedes and/or unnecessarily focused on road manners. I believe a girl would be happier in a Z4 due to its easier driving than in a Boxster.

It is a superb product from Porsche but commercially it falls between two extremes. Neither very fast nor cheap and cheerful.

--

"Form follows function"

honestly guys, doesnt matter wat people think, the boxster (and the cayenne) saved Porsche.

--

BMW 1 M + C63. 

reginos:

The Boxster is an excellent car on its own but  most potential buyers fall in two categories:

1. Those you want a real performance car for  whom the Boxster although fast around bends it is overall not super quick.
    2. Those who want a nice summer roadster for whom the Boxster is either too expensive compared to BMW and Mercedes and/or unnecessarily focused on road manners. I believe a girl would be happier in a Z4 due to its easier driving than in a Boxster.

Reginos you missed the most important category Smiley

3. Those who want the best handling two seater cab with everyday usability Smiley

--

Porsche-Jeck:
    reginos:

3. Those who want the best handling two seater cab with everyday usability Smiley

+1 Smiley You beat me to it. I wanted to write exactly the same.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

Porsche-Jeck:
    reginos:

Sure I agree and this is the reason I wrote most potential buyers. I have a lot of respect for the Boxster as I owned one for 9 years and I still drive a 987.1 quite often. However, as a commercial statement it is squeezed between the girlie roadsters and the serious performers.

--

"Form follows function"

Ferdie:

And to add one more comment which affects all those PDK vs. manual or Boxster vs. 911 debates, for many of us here the essence of driving a car is the interaction with the machine. For you it is the numerical and objective speed of it. Therefore we will never agree in these things as the applicable choices are vastly different.

wink

Well said.  It's about time someone made this obvious, but crucial, point.  Smiley

RC:

Oh...Boxster S...0-200 kph in 18.6 seconds according to the latest Sport Auto Supertest.

BTW very strange that the car tested by AMS performed significantly better in acceleration  0-200 (17.9 sec) and astonishingly also in the brake test  though the Sportauto car was equipped with PCCB while  the AMS car was equipped with the standard brakes.  

Can't wait for my own "test" - using the butt-meter is so much more fun than magazine number crunching Smiley

--

Ferdie:

So let me get this straight, you compare the dealer price for a used four-seater coupe with the list price of a brand new convertible? Sounds reasonable... Smiley

Try to get 30% rebate on a slightly used new Boxster S...with 300 km on the speedo. Not going to happen. Smiley

I compared both because the C63 has a new price tag of 109k EUR but lost a lot of value immediately, thus permitting me to drive this fantastic car for "little" money.

Now take a Boxster S with a new car price tag of 95k EUR and try to get it for 76k EUR or less. I guess you need to wait a year and at least 10000 km on the speedo for that to happen. 

AND...I even don't get the same good performance of the C63 (which is faster than the 991 Carrera S on the straight line).

I just wanted to make a certain point but apparently I was the only one who understood it. Smiley

--

Mate,

I certainly understood the message but cannot relate to it. 

The C63 is a hell of a car, one of my favorite cars. I can totally relate to your excitement. The offer you got was awesome as well, guess one couldn´t go wrong with it. Nonetheless, the list price shows that these two cars are very similar in price, the C63 even being more expensive. Mercedes´ pricing structure is the mysterious part in this debate. 

On the value of new versus used debate on value for money terms it's a no brainer for sure. Which is better value a new  315 bhp Boxster S equipped as we would like it for £65,000 or our used 997S but pretty much as good as new with 385bhp, nearly £20k's worth of extras (albeit not specced exactly as we would ideally choose) for nearly £30,000 less than the new Boxster would cost - and with nearly the same length Porsche warranty! 

But that doesn't stop the 981 Boxster S being a fantastic car, the best in it's class by a long way and definitely SWMBO's preferred choice over any 911 

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

The C63 is indeed a great car, neighbour has an Estate and I nearly bought one a few years ago, just felt the ride on 19" was too firm for where we live.

At the moment you can also get into one as a business user for £560 a month which is tremendous value, with the MB £7K discount that they are currently offering

DC, just a well-intentioned suggestion, you need IMvHO to play about with the weight distribution of your 911 a bit more before making your final judgement. It's addictive to be able to play around with the laws of physics and there's more scope for that in a 62:38 weight distribution car :)

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

DC, just a well-intentioned suggestion, you need IMvHO to play about with the weight distribution of your 911 a bit more before making your final judgement. It's addictive to be able to play around with the laws of physics and there's more scope for that in a 62:38 weight distribution car :)

Smiley

I enjoyed the comment of a reader in a car magazine recently. He was fascinated of how some people were drifting in a 911 during a show event. He also owned one and he never got his to go even slightly sideways...and he tried. Smiley Well...if I read stuff like this, I have to wonder if this is the right car for this person. I went sideways many many times in all my 911, incl. the recently returned (lease ended) Carrera GTS Cab and I can't say that I always planned on doing that. Smiley So yes, it is easy but of course you need to turn PSM completely off or at least be in Sport Plus mode.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689536 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409215 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255732 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234985 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857957 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774019 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM