Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche cancels test drives scheduled for german carmags

German carmag Autobild Sportscars claims in the Editorial of their latest issue that Porsche has cancelled already scheduled test drives meaning they would not provide press cars for comparison car tests anymore. "Inofficial" reason: Porsche is not happy with some of the recent test reports in german carmagsSmiley  Very poor  reaction from Porsche, suggested it is true what AB Sportscars claims in the Editorial. I am sure there will be some kind of reply from Porsche anytime soon.

Maybe they were unhappy with a comparo in AMS mag - 991S put on third place behind MB SL and 6series BMW or even more with the comparo in the recent Autobild issue concluding that the 981S provides more "Porscheness" than the 991cab Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Re: Porsche cancels test drives scheduled for german carmags

Or the Ferrari tech crew hasn't arrived to finish "updating" the press cars angry smiley

Wow, talk about taking away your toys.angry

Porsche-Jeck:

German carmag Autobild Sportscars claims in the Editorial of their latest issue that Porsche has cancelled already scheduled test drives meaning they would not provide press cars for comparison car tests anymore. "Inofficial" reason: Porsche is not happy with some of the recent test reports in german carmagsSmiley  Very poor  reaction from Porsche, suggested it is true what AB Sportscars claims in the Editorial. I am sure there will be some kind of reply from Porsche anytime soon.

Maybe they were unhappy with a comparo in AMS mag - 991S put on third place behind MB SL and 6series BMW or even more with the comparo in the recent Autobild issue concluding that the 981S provides more "Porscheness" than the 991cab Smiley

I like AutoBILD Sports Cars but it is still a...BILD (Germany's most infamous "boulevard" publication).

Why would a Sports Car magazine put the testing emphasis on comfort and fuel consumption? Just asking?

Also comparing a Boxster with a 911 is just plain stupid. Simple reason: The 911 has two seats in the rear and not without a reason. Straight line performance is also much better, so what's the point to compare both? Look here, the cheaper Porsche is the better one? For who? For the reviewer who drives home in a VW Golf? Smiley

AutoBILD Sports Cars also fails to mention what press cars (models?) haven't been delivered. If we are talking about the Panamera Turbo Powerkit, the Panamera Turbo S or the Cayenne Turbo Powerkit, I have a pretty good guess why. It has nothing to do with Porsche being unhappy with test results. Smiley

AutoBILD Sports Cars, like Sport Auto, have always been attacked by readers that they are too Porsche biased. Maybe this is one of those typical BILD-like approaches to prove to readers that AutoBILD Sports Cars is not Porsche biased. Smiley I'm sorry but I don't trust these guys, these are the kind of journalists who would do everything for a good story. Do you remember how BILD kind of "destroyed" former german president Wulff? Nothing more to add.

Also: Have you read the Panamera Turbo vs. Turbo S comparison in AutoBILD sports cars? Absolutely ridiculous conclusion of the reviewer (apparently he wanted to make a point and he did).

So relax...there may be something else behind this, something AutoBILD Sports Cars "forgot" to mention or they simply just don't know.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (at Porsche right now), BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Christian, never try to defend the indefensible. The reality is the Porsche of late is focused on the non sport car segment. They are making a lot of money in the segment. Their sport cars need refreshing. 

FWIW, the Boxster S is a lot more fun to drive than the TT Cab. I would think the difference between the new Boxster S and 991 Cab would be even greater. It is a shame that the Boxster has been pigeoned holed as a chick car and does not have the gravitas of other super sport cars. Until they power it correctly and possibly make a tad larger it will never get the recognition it deserves from the public at large.

Hopefully, Porsche will "refresh" its sport car line up with a 458 competitor.

--

Porsche-Jeck:

I’ve read it, but don’t take it too seriously. They should have said WHICH Porsche they havn’t received, that would give us more insight into the background.Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

nberry:

Christian, never try to defend the indefensible. The reality is the Porsche of late is focused on the non sport car segment. They are making a lot of money in the segment. Their sport cars need refreshing. 

FWIW, the Boxster S is a lot more fun to drive than the TT Cab. I would think the difference between the new Boxster S and 991 Cab would be even greater. It is a shame that the Boxster has been pigeoned holed as a chick car and does not have the gravitas of other super sport cars. Until they power it correctly and possibly make a tad larger it will never get the recognition it deserves from the public at large.

Hopefully, Porsche will "refresh" its sport car line up with a 458 competitor.

Nick, forgive me if I do not agree with you. If you claim that the Boxster S is more fun to drive than the TT Cab, then you surely didn't know how to drive the TT Cab. Smiley The Boxster is an entry Porsche and while I understand the enthusiasm for this car, we shouldn't blow it out of proportions.

The 997 Turbo S is a 458 competitor, like it or not. Performance is very similar and in the hands of an amateur, the 997 Turbo S will always be faster than the 458. Again...I am talking about drivers like you and me and not Walter Röhrl.

I will also prove to some people what a Panamera Turbo S can do. As soon as I get my car, I will attend some meetings and I bet with you that some people will have the surprise of their life. I'm not talking straight line only... Smiley

Porsche has a very competitive range of models right now, I miss only a car between the 997 Turbo S and the GT2 RS and a Panamera Coupe. If you can't see that, maybe you always drove the wrong Porsche model. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (at Porsche right now), BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

Nick, forgive me if I do not agree with you. If you claim that the Boxster S is more fun to drive than the TT Cab, then you surely didn't know how to drive the TT Cab. Smiley

The Boxster S is more fun than the 911 TT at low(er) speeds when the 911 is painfully underutilized and feels empty. Thus the Boxster is the better drive for someone who is not confident to drive very fast or is very conscious of speed limits and other hazards, which is an attitude we should not dismiss.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos

The Boxster S is more fun than the 911 TT at low(er) speeds when the 911 is painfully underutilized and feels empty. Thus the Boxster it is the better drive for someone who is not confident to drive very fast or is very conscious of speed limits and other hazards, which is an attitude we should not dismiss.

Well said, reginos Smiley Exactly the reason why I don't drive the GT3 on public roads anymore - the fun begins where the driving license is at risk Smiley Not so with the BoxsterS which feels alive also at legal speed Smiley

@ RC: I don't trust ANY car mag - they are all like an extended arm of the carmakers' marketing departments. Cars for free, invitations to 5 star hotels in the Mediterranean, journalist "discounts" etc. In any other industry the Chief Compliance Officer would ask for a serious interview Smiley

I only trust my own butt-meter - worked pretty well in the past.

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

The TT is AWD. Yes it has tremendous power and acceleration but it does not have the nimbleness of the Boxster. In comparison the TT is numb. Give the Boxster S another 50hp and it will embarrass the 911 model range except for the hardcore 911 track cars. The Boxster is so stable through the twists and turns it could accommodate much more speed if it had the capability. Coming out of the turns it just doesn't have enough power. 

Regarding magazine reviews, I find it curious that when Porsche reviews are positive which they often are, the reviews are considered objective and accurate. But when they are critical, they are not to be believed because of bias.angry

--

Well comparing a 991S to a MB SL and 6er is kind of flawed to begin with mail

Is it mostly because of the new electronic steering or overall the reviews have been negative ?

--
    Happy Driving

Ron (Houston):

Is it mostly because of the new electronic steering or overall the reviews have been negative ?

Ron, the reviews actually were not negative at all and there was no specific criticism regarding the E-steering.

AMS compares stuff like trunk sizes and similar parameters not really relevant in the sportscar department, hence the 991 ended up in third place.  If  they would have assessed driving dynamics only the 991 still would habe been the winner Smiley The Autobild article comparing 981S and 991 cab makes a more valuable point IMHO stating that the 991 at cruising speed without using all the driving dynamic options feels a bit synthetic, whereas the BoxsterS provides sportscar feeling also at lower speeds.

--

Chris Harris had some interesting views regarding the 981 versus the 991 in his video review of the 981. I have driven neither, but if I were to chose between the two only based on his feedback it would clearly be the 981. Harris monkey knows how to drive these cars like no one else and he is usually brutally honest in his reviews.

Having owned and tracked a Boxster for years I can only say that the car is spectacular. It does lack power compared to the 911, but it does offer great qualities when it comes to handling and feeling. The turn in is simply outstanding. Quick and razorsharp.

With no doubt the most fun car I ever owned, even compared to my previous Cargraphic stage II 997 Turbo. To be fair the Boxster does need some (minor) tweaks with the suspension and engine to get there. Or get a Spyder which has the necessary upgrades from the factory.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

reginos:
    RC:

Nick, forgive me if I do not agree with you. If you claim that the Boxster S is more fun to drive than the TT Cab, then you surely didn't know how to drive the TT Cab. Smiley

The Boxster S is more fun than the 911 TT at low(er) speeds when the 911 is painfully underutilized and feels empty. Thus the Boxster is the better drive for someone who is not confident to drive very fast or is very conscious of speed limits and other hazards, which is an attitude we should not dismiss.

Perhaps, with respect, RC overlooks that he lives in the only country in the world with derestricted Autobahns. Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Reginos, I totally agree. Smiley Having had three 987's and now owning a 997, here in speed limited and heavily trafficked Blighty I have to say the 987 is a lot more entertaining. Don't get me wrong, the 997 is a magnificent car but it doesn't even wake up at our 70 mph limit or much below 100mph where here if caught you are facing a 3 month ban. It doesn't have the kart like precision on the twisties that the mid engined Porsches have either. The 981 would be a step change improvement again, I'm sure. We'll find out on 30th July when we've been invited to an all day drive the full Porsche range event at the Silverstone driver experience centre. I suspect we will come away yearning for a 981S. Only the cost to change would stand in our way.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

I read the verdict of the AB Sports Cars comparison Pana Turbo/Turbo S and have to say I find this verdict logical in itself. Of course the Pana Turbo S is the better car, but the price difference for this is steep. Yes, the better is the enemy of the good, but I think it's fair to say if someone thinks the good offers the better cost-perfomance-ratio.

And of course you can compare a Boxster to a 911 convertible. You're joking when you talk about the rear seats as an important criteria, aren't you? Talking about the rear seats is as important as talking of fuel consumption and ride comfort, to stay with the theme. The Boxster S definitely is a strong competitor to the (standard) 911 convertible. And the 981 versus the 991 is even more so. And if you gave the Boxster S just a handful more horses, the 911 Carrera cabriolet would have a really hard time. Smiley

And BTW, I can't tell you how glad I am that this infamous "president" Wulff resigned, I find it to be an achievement of the Springer Press that he finally (but much too late) did the only right thing. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

dreamcar:
    reginos:
    RC:

Perhaps, with respect, RC overlooks that he lives in the only country in the world with derestricted Autobahns. Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Reginos, I totally agree. Smiley Having had three 987's and now owning a 997, here in speed limited and heavily trafficked Blighty I have to say the 987 is a lot more entertaining. Don't get me wrong, the 997 is a magnificent car but it doesn't even wake up at our 70 mph limit or much below 100mph where here if caught you are facing a 3 month ban. It doesn't have the kart like precision on the twisties that the mid engined Porsches have either. The 981 would be a step change improvement again, I'm sure. We'll find out on 30th July when we've been invited to an all day drive the full Porsche range event at the Silverstone driver experience centre. I suspect we will come away yearning for a 981S. Only the cost to change would stand in our way.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

I have a 987.2S PDK and had only one chance to drive a 997 Turbo PDK 40min (fast on back roads). I know the 911 as the driver from the 996 only. 

The turbo is a lot faster, incredibly fast. Still, if I want to keep my license, the Boxster makes more fun for me. I'm not Vettel or Alonso, but I had the subjective feeling that the turbo has to be driven on public roads too fast for those roads. The fun begins earlier with the Boxster. And it is still very easy to lose your license with the Boxster. I like the steering of the Boxster generally more than the 911 (986/987 and 987/turbo), traction is of course much better in the 911.

Well, I care more about being fast rather than feeling fast.  broken heart

I don't know what you guys do but I never fear for my driver's license (I never lost it and don't even have points, not a single one), simply because I adapt speed and I am on the "lookout". If I spot radar traps, I can spot a kid running over the street too, this is my principle. I always adapt speed, I would never go 100 kph in the city, like others do. I watch my surroundings very carefully, even my rear (video patrol cars or motorcycles) and it worked quite well for me over the past 28 years or so. Smiley

Speaking of if the Boxster had more power: Well, do you guys know the story of the ifs and whens

Yes, I was serious when I was speaking about the rear seats in the 997 Cab, they are important. Not so much for rear passengers but for rear luggage. I had the pleasure to make a couple of vacations in the 911 when I didn't have kids yet and the Boxster would have been a huge problem for me. Or could somebody actually tell me how to fit two large Samsonite luggage pieces in a Boxster? 

If some of you are overwhelmed with the power of the 997 Turbo, this isn't my problem. yes

Last but not least, I wonder why Porsche never went through with the idea of a professional Boxster racing series? 

@Rossi: Regarding the Panamera Turbo vs. Turbo S comparison, you really think that a 0-200 kph performance difference of one second and a 0-300 kph difference of almost 8 seconds isn't worth aprox. 10k EUR for a car which costs somewhere between 180 and 200k EUR? Wow. Smiley

I like the Boxster but please don't make something out of it which it isn't. Porsche may be to blame for that, I agree to some point but I still prefer the rear engine design over the mid engine design, I'm kind of nostalgic...and I've seen quite a lot of Boxster drivers making a nice pirouette at lower speeds (40-60 kph range) with their mid engined cars but of course not less 911 drivers who tend to forget that the rear has some weight and when it starts moving... Smiley

--

@RC: We all know you are the fastest, but I beg you to read my posts properly, okay? I didn't say anything about a power or perfomance difference not being worth the money. But I said I find the AB Sportscars verdict logical in itself. If someone is satisfied with the power and performance the Panamera Turbo offers, as was writtten in the verdict, I have no problem with that. It's the same as going for a standard Turbo/Carrera/Boxster instead of the corresponding S-model. Should I blame someone who is happy and satisfied with a Carrera, because he didn't order a Carrera S? And if someone doesn't need the technical options like PDCC, PTV and Sport Chrono or doesn't want a Sports Exhaust, the price difference is 28k Euro and if you take these very options into account, the price difference is still around 18k Euro, not really a bargain if you ask me.

Regarding the power of the Boxster S, I would prefer a Boxster S over a Carrera Cabriolet any time and talking about luggage space and going on holiday in a midengined car, buy yourself a 355/360/430/458/Gallardo/R8 and plan a trip, then we talk again. Smiley

--

I'm with Itse, Rossi, neberry and Dreamcar... in fact is it just RC that differs..?

I have the 997 GTS, but if I think about it, in the last 6 months since I've had it - the most frustrating thing is the complete inabilty to use it's power.  I found it far easier to push my Audi S4 to the point that it seemed it was trying, but the same daily/weekly/monthly driving pattern hasn't provided the 997 GTS with the opportunity to stretch it's legs at all.

Yes, it gives me more of a smile that I'm in the real deal, but am I really driving it anywhere close to it's capability on public roads..?  Nope.  I can completely understand the Boxster point as I've driven a couple of them: you can get a feel of what it is capable of every time you drive it...  And driving fast on a motorway is hardly what driving a Porsche is really all about.  Maybe vmax is part of it for some people (like RC), but you can drive pretty fast (and relatively safely) on a highway in most premium-end cars these days.  Maybe it's because, as RC suggests, I'm overwhelmed by the power of my car (and hey, it's not even a turbo!).  I don't think so though, like any of us, it's likely we are more spirited than is good for us, and have, in an entry level Boxster, more than enough power to kill ourselves - and others - if we used (all of) it inappropriately.

RC, like in a recent couple of posts on the Panamera thread, I am in awe of your eyesight and reaction times: sadly I'm clearly not in your league.  They must make speed traps strangely visible in Germany, because you simply wouldn't beat them here in South Africa travelling at robust speeds.  Maybe our traffic cops are better?  Nope, that can't be the case, trust me!  Also, it's all well and good going fast on the autobahn, but on other roads such as the twisties, a Boxster S is surely fast enough to be dangerous: twisties, but they nature, have other drivers (and cyclists) coming in the opposite direction.  Surely there aren't sufficient private, closed off twistie roads..?

I've never heard of anyone buying a 997 cab instead of a 981 for luggage space.  I can imagine the 2 seats being a consideration for quick trips with the kids (and as RC has stated - it's far from perfect), but as a consideration for luggage?  I'd rather recognise that the 997 just isn't a tourer and look at something else that can accomodate more than a weekend's luggage.  As you say, don't make [the 997 cab] something it isn't!

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Well, I don’t care about being fast, I am no race driver. Even when I occasionally visit the N’ring I don’t have a problem when other cars a faster. And it doesn’t matter if I reach my destination 5min later. And I don’t care about feeling fast, I care about enjoying my ride, there are more factors than speed.

Adapting your speed is what every intelligent driver should do. There are several opportunities when the maximum legal speed is much too fast and often you don’t risk anything if you drive faster then allowed. I think I follow the same strategy as you do, similar results (500.000miles with no accident or points). But your skills are probably much higher.

Fast long distance Autobahn driving isn’t a strength of the Boxster. That is one of the reasons why I think about replacing the Boxster with a Panamera 4S. I don’t want to afford both cars. But I am afraid that I will miss the feeling using the Boxster on a sunny warm day on b-roads. And until now my wife and I never had problems with the luggage. Yes, you can’t use Samsonite luggage, but we like sailing and are used to transport our luggage in more flexible bags.

And talking about a more powerful Boxster. Yes, I would probably buy this model. But Porsche doesn’t offer this option. So there is no need to discuss if the Boxster could handle more power.

Professional Boxster racing series: From a technical point of view it shouldn’t be a problem (think about the different series with small hatchbacks). But from the marketing point of view it is plain stupid because you would cannibalize the icon 911.

Short: yes I believe that the 911 is the better car. But I can’t use this advantage. The way I use my car the Boxster makes more fun for me (and I never liked roof/back design of the old 911 cabs (964-997), the 991cab is much more beautiful – personal taste).

Rossi:

@RC: We all know you are the fastest, but I beg you to read my posts properly, okay? I didn't say anything about a power or perfomance difference not being worth the money. But I said I find the AB Sportscars verdict logical in itself. If someone is satisfied with the power and performance the Panamera Turbo offers, as was writtten in the verdict, I have no problem with that. It's the same as going for a standard Turbo/Carrera/Boxster instead of the corresponding S-model. Should I blame someone who is happy and satisfied with a Carrera, because he didn't order a Carrera S? And if someone doesn't need the technical options like PDCC, PTV and Sport Chrono or doesn't want a Sports Exhaust, the price difference is 28k Euro and if you take these very options into account, the price difference is still around 18k Euro, not really a bargain if you ask me.

Regarding the power of the Boxster S, I would prefer a Boxster S over a Carrera Cabriolet any time and talking about luggage space and going on holiday in a midengined car, buy yourself a 355/360/430/458/Gallardo/R8 and plan a trip, then we talk again. Smiley

I'm not the fastest but I want to be the fastest. Smiley

The verdict of the AutoBILD comparison between the Panamera Turbo and Turbo S was actually a different one, in the end, the reviewer couldn't justify the additional cost for the power gain. So there is nothing logic about it, especially since we are talking about a 1x k EUR difference on a 180-200k EUR car. Smiley Whoever wants the maximum performance, chooses all the performance options or...the Turbo S. So we are still at a 1x k EUR difference. Smiley

Considering the 0-300 kph performance difference of almost 8 seconds, I think that even 20k EUR would be justified. Especially if you live in a country with the Autobahn. Smiley We could discuss the general cost of a Panamera Turbo, which in my opinion is way too high but thats a different story.

I would never prefer the Boxster over a Carrera Cab and since you mention going on holiday in a sports car (I don't care about mid engined or whatever concept), I never bought a 355/360/430/458/Gallardo/R8, didn't I? Smiley

Stupid question: So why did you get a 997 Turbo S and not a Boxster S? Smiley Smiley

Smiley

--

Itsme:

Well, I don’t care about being fast, I am no race driver. Even when I occasionally visit the N’ring I don’t have a problem when other cars a faster. And it doesn’t matter if I reach my destination 5min later. And I don’t care about feeling fast, I care about enjoying my ride, there are more factors than speed.

Being fast is part of the sports car experience. If you don't care about being fast, you could drive a Skoda Fabia and drive on the Nordschleife in it but I guess you drive something else. Smiley

So while some of you claim that you don't care about being fast, you care, you just aren't maybe. This is maybe the reason why you think you don't care but in the end, we all are competitive in our own way and we want to be fast. Even if we don't. Smiley

Oh...I don't drive fast because I care about how fast I get from point A to B. It is just my driving rhythm, I am fast and I adapt to traffic and other circumstances.

There are some rare situations when I drive relatively slow because I am tired (after work for example) or I am thinking about stuff and I need to be focused but at the same time safe (driving) but usually, I drive as fast as possible, not because I need to be fast but because I want to, it is fun.

Smiley

--

RC:

Stupid question: So why did you get a 997 Turbo S and not a Boxster S? Smiley Smiley

Smiley

Very, very stupid question indeed. But I'll forgive you. Smiley

--

Budster:

RC, like in a recent couple of posts on the Panamera thread, I am in awe of your eyesight and reaction times: sadly I'm clearly not in your league.  They must make speed traps strangely visible in Germany, because you simply wouldn't beat them here in South Africa travelling at robust speeds.  Maybe our traffic cops are better?  Nope, that can't be the case, trust me!  Also, it's all well and good going fast on the autobahn, but on other roads such as the twisties, a Boxster S is surely fast enough to be dangerous: twisties, but they nature, have other drivers (and cyclists) coming in the opposite direction.  Surely there aren't sufficient private, closed off twistie roads..?

I'm not sure about South Africa but they never caught me...Italy, Switzerland(tight ass police here), France...I just see them in time. Maybe you should ask your ophthalmologist about the advantage of a 175% vision sharpness. Smiley I even see laser traps in time and they are usually a mile away. Smiley Like I said, I adapt to traffic and circumstances. Regarding country roads with twists and turns, I am aware of the danger from other motorists, especially motorcycles (apparently some bikers don't really know how to drive a clean curve...) but like I said, I adapt and it works.

I've never heard of anyone buying a 997 cab instead of a 981 for luggage space.  I can imagine the 2 seats being a consideration for quick trips with the kids (and as RC has stated - it's far from perfect), but as a consideration for luggage?  I'd rather recognise that the 997 just isn't a tourer and look at something else that can accomodate more than a weekend's luggage.  As you say, don't make [the 997 cab] something it isn't!

For me, choosing a 911 was always about the kids and/or luggage too. Always. The Boxster is just too small and my wife had a Boxster S for almost three years. Nice fun car but not powerful enough.

I would have never ordered a Panamera Turbo S without having a family. What for? The GT2 RS would have been more interesting or just the RS 4.0. If Porsche would offer a Panamera Turbo S with 800 hp, I would take it. Especially since the Panamera is a pretty heavy car.

If you want a fun car btw., get a C63 AMG Coupe. It is much more fun than any Boxster I ever drove, it is affordable, it has an amazing engine/exhaust sound and still enough room to go on a short vacation with the family.

I am sorry but the Boxster doesn't give me anything. It is however a very good sports car, no doubt about it.

--

RC:
    I would never prefer the Boxster over a Carrera Cab and since you mention going on holiday in a sports car (I don't care about mid engined or whatever concept), I never bought a 355/360/430/458/Gallardo/R8, didn't I? Smiley

Once again, you didn't read properly. I would not take a Boxster over a Carrera Cabriolet, but I was talking about a Boxster S versus the standard Carrera Cabriolet. That makes a difference. Smiley

--

I drove a F458 Italia for almost two days in Paris...I would still prefer a 997 GT2 RS...or even the Turbo S for that matter.  I'm just not a Ferrari type of guy, I can't help it. My son wants a Bugatti Veyron Supersports anyway. 

The 355 is not fast enough for me, even the 360 is at "my" personal performance limit (in a bad way) but I would gladly get a Lamborghini Aventador if I could afford it...and if my wife wouldn't divorce me if I get one. angry

indecision

Even compared to the 991 Carrera Cab, I would still not get a Boxster S. I got you pretty right. 

--

RC:

I'm not sure about South Africa but they never caught me...Italy, Switzerland(tight ass police here), France...I just see them in time. Maybe you should ask your ophthalmologist about the advantage of a 175% vision sharpness. Smiley I even see laser traps in time and they are usually a mile away. Smiley Like I said, I adapt to traffic and circumstances. Regarding country roads with twists and turns, I am aware of the danger from other motorists, especially motorcycles (apparently some bikers don't really know how to drive a clean curve...) but like I said, I adapt and it works.

Wow RC, I thought you were referring to serious misdemeanours (points).  Are you saying that you've never been caught in a speed trap? 

Don't the cops hide in bushes, or just over the brow of a hill in your country..?  Do they stand up on the side of the road waiving their arms around, giving you a chance to reduce your speed to the legal limit before they push the laser button? 

Have you never even been caught by a fixed camera in an unfamiliar town where the speed limit is 60km/hr when you're doing say, 72? 

...or approaching a village when the limit changes from 60 to 40 and you're too busy eating your apple strudel?  Our equivalent sugary things are called "koeksisters" and are responsible for thousands of rands of fines on my holiday route.

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Back to topic... indecision  ...is it assured that PAG's press embargo is due to AutoBild's 911-Boxster comparison? I would rather assume that they are very unhappy about the Horst v Saurma's assumption in the previous issue of Sportauto that Porsche press cars are tuned/overpowered AND engine's motronic can identify if it's a test stand check (and then reduce the power to standard so it can't be detected that it's actually a tweaked rocket engine).

Budster:
    RC:

Wow RC, I thought you were referring to serious misdemeanours (points).  Are you saying that you've never been caught in a speed trap? 

Don't the cops hide in bushes, or just over the brow of a hill in your country..?  Do they stand up on the side of the road waiving their arms around, giving you a chance to reduce your speed to the legal limit before they push the laser button? 

Have you never even been caught by a fixed camera in an unfamiliar town where the speed limit is 60km/hr when you're doing say, 72? 

...or approaching a village when the limit changes from 60 to 40 and you're too busy eating your apple strudel?  Our equivalent sugary things are called "koeksisters" and are responsible for thousands of rands of fines on my holiday route.

The only time I've been caught was by a video patrol car a couple of years ago. I didn't pay attention to my rear too much at that time but now I do. Smiley

The most dangerous trap for me is the video trap: A camera permanently films the entire traffic and an automated program using a specific algorithm calculates the speed of each car filmed. This can be effectively used only with slow traffic, so whenever I see a van or a car with tinted rear windows, I slow down. Radar traps work similar or they are using light sensors but I usually spot them in time.

Laser traps are a little bit trickier but since they need a camera, usually on some sort of tripod,  I spot them too.

In Italy, there was a police man standing with his laser gun behind a white Fiat Uno. I spotted the car in time but it was a pretty close encounter because he stopped the car driving in front of me.

In Switzerland, I had two video cars encounters but I was lucky. In Austria, things are quite simple, they usually use those stationary radar traps on the right but there was also a laser trap once but I moved my car very fast to the right lane, so he lost the fix and then I slowed down. I know that (with the lost fix) because he stopped me anyway but I talked my way out of a ticket because I was nice and admitted(!) that I was "a little bit too fast". Smiley Austrian police can "estimate" the speed, they don't necessarily need proof.

Oh...and I was caught once in the US(Florida) because I simply didn't know that they have a front radar in their police cars (over 25 years ago).

Maybe I was lucky too but since I drive A LOT and always pretty fast, I rather think that my vision sharpness is to blame and the fact that I'm always alert. Only when I drive with the family, I usually drive slower but only when I talk to them. I can't talk and at the same time pay a lot of attention.

Radar traps in Europe are usually not really hidden but some are a little bit camouflaged.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764444 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436577 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261080 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257995 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82661 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876949 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809032 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM