Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: My Panamera Turbo S is almost ready

fritz:
    RC:

OK, OK...tomorrow. You guys behave like small children...now you know how my son felt when our car didn't arrive. indecision

You brought all this on yourself, RC. You need to learn how to better manage children's expectations. 
    Your son's and others'.    Smiley

--

fritz

SmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

--
    2012 Cayenne TT (on order for june 2012), 997.1 Targa 4s, 2009 Q5 3.2

I WAKE UP AND NO PICS??? (How's that for childish?) smiley

No seriously, I have to apply online for grad school this morning, and I might as well check RT kiss

RC enjoy the car this weekend!

Seriously OT for a minute, are you applying for your M.Arch Atz?

Regardless, good luck! Smiley

No posts from RC today..... he must be driving his car blush

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

RC:

Guys, you don't really expect Porsche to give me a real test mule? 

Let me put it this way: It won't be something slower than my ordered Turbo S.

Is that a good idea? You're going to get used to more power than your car will have when you ultimately get it.

Perhaps it's a marketing trick, to get you to trade up...

JesseBank:

Seriously OT for a minute, are you applying for your M.Arch Atz?

Regardless, good luck! Smiley

Hey Jesse, actually i've changed course a little. Applying for a MSc in Resource Efficiency in Architecture and Planning. It's a new branch promoting sustainable architecture and urban development in different geographical and cultural settings. While its main emphasis lies on technology for the provision of sustainable urban and building services, the degree investigates the socio-economic context in which these services are provided and managed.

It is exactly up my ally and fits nicely to my BA. It's a new degree so i'm risking a bit more but hoping it will pay off in the job markets over say a traditional M.Arch. But I'm deeply concerned about urban life and I feel that this degree holds more value in terms of what I want to accomplish Smiley

Here you go, kids... 

pk2.jpg

pk3.jpg

pk1.jpg

pk4.jpg

As you can see...a very special exterior color, very similar to the Diamond White Met. of my C63 AMG. It kind of has a silver shimmer, very nice color.

I've forgotten how good the Panamera is...some driving details tomorrow (I have to work, so I have to go to sleep).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (at Porsche right now), BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

WHAT? YOU DRINK ORANGINA?? :)

On a serious note - I assumed that it would be black... Is this the Panamera you specced just with a different engine and sticker? or it's a whole other car?  HP & TORQUE?

--
    2012 Cayenne TT (on order for june 2012), 997.1 Targa 4s, 2009 Q5 3.2

Not to be a downer but I don't think white is the best color for the panamera, it looks huge. Black all the way imo.

OT: Nice pair of Tag Heuers, I have a similar pair but in red indecision

BlackSparrow:

WHAT? YOU DRINK ORANGINA?? :)

On a serious note - I assumed that it would be black... Is this the Panamera you specced just with a different engine and sticker? or it's a whole other car?  HP & TORQUE?

The car is a factory test car...not my car. Smiley I can keep it until my car is ready, hopefully in about two to three weeks.

Car is fast as hell...Smiley

Sorry...more tomorrow...I am tired.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (at Porsche right now), BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

is that espresso leather interior?

sfo:

no marsalarot

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

993Targa:
    sfo:

no marsalarot

I thought marsalsrot was german for espresso .. 

sfo:
    993Targa:
    sfo:

no marsalarot

I thought marsalsrot was german for espresso .. 

No they are different. They look similar, but espresso is browner, less reddish. Both are available on the Panamera, but Espresso is more expensive. For the Cayenne only Espresso is available.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Many congrats on your new interim car. Panamera Turbo/kit/S or whatever is always the best way to go. I deeply regret that I can't "afford"  it to drive due to the public perception, particularly I can't stand it for my daily business.
     White with Marsala isn't my preferred combo though. Nevertheless I hope y'll have fun. kiss

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Good for you, RC.  Porsche must respect you, providing this super machine to you until your car arrives.  A Panamera Turbo PK as a free loaner.  My dealer rents A4s as loaners...

Wonderbar:

Good for you, RC.  Porsche must respect you, providing this super machine to you until your car arrives.  A Panamera Turbo PK as a free loaner.  My dealer rents A4s as loaners...

My dealer would have stuck me with an AVIS rented BMW 1 series Diesel with 116 hp or so... Smiley

It is interesting: My dealer has a Panamera Turbo, a Panamera GTS, several other Panamera V8, two 991 Carrera Cabs, two or even three 991 Carrera Coupes, several Boxsters...and the last holiday weekend, when I actually would have needed a car...all of them were gone. For a whole weekend? As loaners? My guess is: Some of the employees had a good time. Smiley

Porsche, the company, certainly respects me as a customer and loyal Porsche fan (Rennteam) but I think this spirit should be present at dealers too, not only at higher Porsche hierarchy levels. Just saying... Smiley

Don't get me wrong (I know that some Porsche dealers worldwide are members and maybe reading this): It is tough for many dealers, lots of pressure and cost involved (CI) and their "conditions" for getting cars from Porsche haven't improved, on the contrary but customers, especially Porsche customers, can be loyal for years to come, so maybe they should try to find a solution to make everybody happy. At least they could provide some "cool" loaners...

I also don't think that a couple of Boxsters with base options and PDK would cost them a fortune, especially since they could move these cars pretty easily as attractive used cars after a year or two.

--

Love the car, RC. Enjoy it as it tides you over until your Turbo S arrives.

I've seen the Carrara white metallic in person before and it really is a beautiful color; Porsche launched an exclusive Panamera 4S called the Middle East Edition early last year in the same rare color with a red leather and carbon fiber interior. Stunning cars, limited to just 66 vehicles split between Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman and the United Arab Emirates. They're all sold out now, of course.

rulesdontapply

RC:
    Wonderbar:

My dealer would have stuck me with an AVIS rented BMW 1 series Diesel with 116 hp or so... Smiley

It is interesting: My dealer has a Panamera Turbo, a Panamera GTS, several other Panamera V8, two 991 Carrera Cabs, two or even three 991 Carrera Coupes, several Boxsters...and the last holiday weekend, when I actually would have needed a car...all of them were gone. For a whole weekend? As loaners? My guess is: Some of the employees had a good time. Smiley

Porsche, the company, certainly respects me as a customer and loyal Porsche fan (Rennteam) but I think this spirit should be present at dealers too, not only at higher Porsche hierarchy levels. Just saying... Smiley

Don't get me wrong (I know that some Porsche dealers worldwide are members and maybe reading this): It is tough for many dealers, lots of pressure and cost involved (CI) and their "conditions" for getting cars from Porsche haven't improved, on the contrary but customers, especially Porsche customers, can be loyal for years to come, so maybe they should try to find a solution to make everybody happy. At least they could provide some "cool" loaners...

I also don't think that a couple of Boxsters with base options and PDK would cost them a fortune, especially since they could move these cars pretty easily as attractive used cars after a year or two.

This is so true. But I seem to remember that Mercedes always offered a model up from your car in the shop as a loaner.. it was to get you to  jump over. Worked twice on my dad. He drove a E320CDI and was loaned the E500, he had to have it Smiley Great tactic.

OK, guys...here are some further thoughts about the car I got and the Panamera Turbo generally:

I almost forgot how great the Panamera is.

Yes, the car looks huge (honestly...huge) but once you sit inside behind the steering wheel and the car is moving, you actually have the feeling of driving a much smaller car. I imagined driving a 911 with a Panamera body and while this may sound weird to you, this is the feeling I had while I was driving the Panamera Turbo. 

The steering is pretty light but direct, maybe a little bit too light and direct. Let me explain: At a speed of around 300 kph on the speedo, even a tiny bit of steering correction can end in a catastrophe. I was driving on the Autobahn and the curve was pretty wide but there were these separating stone blocks in the middle of the Autobahn on my very left and at some point, the asphalt was slightly uneven, so I got a very subtle "kick" into the steering, causing a very very small moving of the steering wheel to the left but I almost hit the stone blocks in the middle. I am used to this kind of fast driving, so I'm alert all the time, so I corrected by instinct but for an inexperienced driver, this could have been the end of it. I wonder why the steering moves that light at such high speeds too, it wouldn't be necessary. This reminds me of real race cars but I'm not sure it is a proper setup for such a huge car.

Overall, the handling is just spectacular. The car doesn't understeer at all and I easily took a 100° curve at around 100 kph with a slight sliding of the rear. The car was in Sport Plus mode and while Sport Plus in the 997 seems to be pretty close to turning PSM off completely, I never got the feeling in the Panamera Turbo that Sport Plus can be a challenge. The car was easily controllable, even at the limit but of course the AWD may have had something to do with it. Speaking of AWD: I can now say with certainty that any non-professional driver wouldn't stand a chance in a RWD car of a similar size, like the M5 for example, against this beast. The AWD setup is very very dynamic, it allows a RWD car-like behavior at the limit...without actually really sliding too much. I really threw the car into curves and it felt like my C63 AMG Coupe, at times even better since I never encountered any traction problems. Nothing.

So I'm looking forward to any possible RWD vs. AWD encounter in the future but I get the feeling that some people don't really know what they are getting into. Before choosing the new M5, I would definitely have a test drive in a Panamera Turbo at least. My loaner has all the handling goodies installed and the car is just amazing. For the first time since my 997 Turbo has gone, I have been reminded again of my former fun car. 

To make it short: Handling is unbelievable for such a huge car and I highly recommend to anyone doubting the Panamera, to take a ride in the Turbo for a day or so. Your world will change upside down.

Second thing I noticed was the lack of a decent engine or exhaust sound. The car is quiet, even with the sport exhaust turned on. On the other hand, the exhaust sound is quite noticeable...outside of the car. I suddenly realized that this car has the noise insulating glass. So if you love to listen to the engine/exhaust sound while driving, do not get the noise insulating glass. My daughter claims that she loves the car because it is so quiet in the rear but the lack of sound also takes away some of the fun. Of course I am a little bit spoiled by the C63 AMG Coupe fantastic sounding V8 engine. So the noise insulating glass is certainly an option you don't want, unless you want a quiet car.

Also a little bit disappointing: The BOSE system. Yes, it sounds OK but no, it doesn't sound like a system should sound on such an expensive car. My loaner is worth almost 200k EUR. So Burmester is a must in the Panamera, I heard it on my first Panamera Turbo and I still can remember the fantastic sound.

Third thing I noticed were...the fantastic PCCB brakes. I know that the Turbo brake is already good enough but especially on such a heavy car, PCCB is a must in my opinion. I can pinpoint my braking point very precisely and the only moment you can actually feel the weight of the car is when you fully accelerate and immediately brake afterwards. This is when the PCCB really is better than the standard brake, unless of course you are Arnold Schwarzenegger and love to train your leg muscles. I did some pretty hard braking yesterday but the PCCB doesn't really seem to care, no fading, nothing. I drove the same private road in my C63 AMG Coupe a couple of times and the brake was really almost gone and I'm not kidding. A lot of fading and a much longer pedal way or to describe it with my son's words: The brake doesn't work anymore.  (don't worry, it still worked but even he felt that the brake was rubbing strongly...). This road isn't too long, about 1 km but it has lots of curves. Thanks to the lack of any trees or bushes, I can easily overlook this road. Unfortunately there are sometimes pedestrians with their dogs but apparently they don't understand the word private (road follows to the production facility of a factory). It is my favorite "test ground" but I can't go too fast, the curves are tricky, it is almost 30 km away from my home and when it rains, there is mud all over it (and it takes forever until the road cleans up, which makes it even trickier in curves).

Is there something I don't like? Well...yes:

Fuel consumption is beyond good and evil, especially when driving at speeds over 300 kph.

The PDK shifting program in Chrono Sport Plus mode isn't really my thing, upshifts just happen too late.

There is also a turbo lag present, not so much in Sport Plus mode but even in Sport mode and especially in "normal" mode. I wish the throttle response would be slightly better in Sport mode and I wish the turbo lag would be less obvious but this isn't something I can't deal with. The huge power and torque are highly manageable by the AWD system, so there is a plus side to that.

I also wish the steering wheel would be a little bit thicker. I couldn't order the Carbon with the thicker steering wheel option, which is kind of lame.

Overall, I am very happy that I have ordered a Panamera Turbo S, especially since I doubted my decision a couple of times in the past.

--

rulesdontapply:

Love the car, RC. Enjoy it as it tides you over until your Turbo S arrives.

I've seen the Carrara white metallic in person before and it really is a beautiful color; Porsche launched an exclusive Panamera 4S called the Middle East Edition early last year in the same rare color with a red leather and carbon fiber interior. Stunning cars, limited to just 66 vehicles split between Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman and the United Arab Emirates. They're all sold out now, of course.

rulesdontapply

The Carrera White Metallic looks very good in bright sunlight, I am not surprised that they used it for a special Middle East model. It has a silver shimmer, very nice but maybe a little bit too obvious for Europe.

The Marsala Red interior is looking quite good, a nice color for a black car and I feel sorry I didn't order it on my car. My wife likes it a lot too but now it is too late. My dealer told me that this is a more reddish tone but in reality, it is a dark brown with a very tiny reddish tone to it, hardly noticeable. Very subtle and nice, I wish I would have gone for.

--

RC:

Overall, the handling is just spectacular. The car doesn't understeer at all and I easily took a 100° curve at around 100 kph with a slight sliding of the rear. The car was in Sport Plus mode and while Sport Plus in the 997 seems to be pretty close to turning PSM off completely, I never got the feeling in the Panamera Turbo that Sport Plus can be a challenge. The car was easily controllable, even at the limit but of course the AWD may have had something to do with it. Speaking of AWD: I can now say with certainty that any non-professional driver wouldn't stand a chance in a RWD car of a similar size, like the M5 for example, against this beast. The AWD setup is very very dynamic, it allows a RWD car-like behavior at the limit...without actually really sliding too much. I really threw the car into curves and it felt like my C63 AMG Coupe, at times even better since I never encountered any traction problems. Nothing.

Many congrats on the excellent loaner car Smiley SmileySmileySmiley

Your report is a very interesting read indeed Smiley As you write, I also think that the handling setup of the Panamera is THE factor differentiating the Panamera from all its front/front-mid engined competitors. The perceived weight balance is closer to a 911 than to any sports limousine I know. Even when you drive bends at lower speeds you can immediately feel how neutral the car turns into the bend where in other front-engined performance cars (including smaller ones like M3, C63 etc. - which the Panamera can outperform in terms of handling!?!?!) you get a heavy, sedate feeling. The Panamera is a fun car to drive - enjoy it to the fullest Smiley Smiley

RC:
    The Marsala Red interior is looking quite good, a nice color for a black car and I feel sorry I didn't order it on my car. My wife likes it a lot too but now it is too late.

why not ask Porsche if they will fit the Marsala interior? they can only say no at worst. it's not as if they are on time or anything ...

I don't understand how Porsche was able to achieve this fantastic handling. You really sit in this huge car and think to yourself: Something is wrong, the huge size speaks one language but the feeling a different one. I really have the feeling sitting in a lighter and much sportier car, only when it comes to braking, I actually feel the weight, especially after a sudden change from acceleration to deceleration.

Now I understand why the Panamera is that expensive...or at least this would be the only explanation. I drove the new M5 too and while it handles quite nicely, the RWD gave me really a hard time at some point. Same goes to the C63 AMG Coupe by the way but I really started to get a good feeling for this car, especially in Sport Handling mode. Turning ESP off completely on the street is dangerous...a little bit of sand, like it happened recently and the rear slides way too far... Sport Handling mode is great, still a little bit challenging for beginners but a really good setup...for a Benz. 

I'm pretty sure you would love the Panamera Turbo S... wink

--

That is a terrific review.

For someone whose daily life is spent thinking and speaking in German, has a wife, children, a business to run with customers, employees and vendors needing attention, a internet forum to deal with, investments to watch, a trouble prone Porsche dealer and having had to get into close communication with the Porsche Factory about the lateness of a new car delivery etc... You have had a very busy time! How you find time to do it all is amazing. Impressive really.

To take time out to write up such a excellent review in English so soon with all of that you have going on is appreciated.kiss

Has your happy neightbor seen the White Beast yet? smiley

RC, thank you for your professional review Smiley

I enjoyed your M5 and C63 comparisons.

I drove extensively a RWD Panamera S last year on roads that even a 911 is challenged and the handling was superb and nimble for even a lighter car.

Another endorsement of Porsche handling is that the dealership salesman with whom I test drove the 991, told me that he takes prospective Cayenne customers on that certain route and all of them having tried the X5 and ML are just amazed.

--

"Form follows function"

sfo:
    RC:
    The Marsala Red interior is looking quite good, a nice color for a black car and I feel sorry I didn't order it on my car. My wife likes it a lot too but now it is too late.

why not ask Porsche if they will fit the Marsala interior? they can only say no at worst. it's not as if they are on time or anything ...

The car is already built, they are just waiting to exchange two parts. Smiley Black is fine too, I just wish I had listened to a friend to go to Exclusive department in Zuffenhausen to check out all available color options and combos.

--

JimFlat6:

That is a terrific review.

For someone whose daily life is spent thinking and speaking in German, has a wife, children, a business to run with customers, employees and vendors needing attention, a internet forum to deal with, investments to watch, a trouble prone Porsche dealer and having had to get into close communication with the Porsche Factory about the lateness of a new car delivery etc... You have had a very busy time! How you find time to do it all is amazing. Impressive really.

To take time out to write up such a excellent review in English so soon with all of that you have going on is appreciated.kiss

Has your happy neightbor seen the White Beast yet? smiley

Smiley Smiley

No, my neighbor is on vacation. Maybe it is better this way... Smiley

Unfortunately my kids had some friends over yesterday (we still have a school vacation over here) and my wife promised that I would drive them home, she forgot that I left my C63 at the dealer till the evening.

So I had to drive home the kids in this car and some of the parents saw me in it too...not really something I wanted. We are usually very careful how we "expose" ourselves with friends and/or parents of our kids' friends, so it wasn't really OK yesterday. One of the kids even insisted to walk home, which kind of made me feel bad. Apparently she felt intimidated by the huge car, her mother drives a VW Lupo. Smiley On the other hand, one of the boys asked me if I could drive around a little bit, he apparently enjoyed the ride. Smiley

These are actually the only moments I feel bad about such a car but I guess I knew that before... Smiley

--

reginos:

RC, thank you for your professional review Smiley

I enjoyed your M5 and C63 comparisons.

I drove extensively a RWD Panamera S last year on roads that even a 911 is challenged and the handling was superb and nimble for even a lighter car.

Another endorsement of Porsche handling is that the dealership salesman with whom I test drove the 991, told me that he takes prospective Cayenne customers on that certain route and all of them having tried the X5 and ML are just amazed.

Don't get me wrong, the new M5 is really impressive, especially considering the price tag compared to even the Panamera Turbo but the handling of the Panamera is just out of this world. I would definitely order it with all the driving enhancing options like PASM, Chrono Sport Plus, etc. because I suppose this stuff improves the handling feel a lot.

Oh...for those who think the M5 could easily follow: On roads with lots of curves and bends, the M5 doesn't stand a change. I can fully stay on the throttle while going through the bends, if you do it in the M5...bye bye road. Smiley Also when accelerating out of a curve, there are no traction issues, nothing. So I can brake super hard before the curve, slightly go through it and FULLY accelerate slightly before the curve ends, the car doesn't even sweat a little bit. Do that in a M5...impossible. I actually wonder why the Panamera has been that bad in the WET Supertest because on dry pavement, this car sticks to the asphalt like glue. I even could live with the PZero my loaner has on it. Smiley

--

P Zero are temperature sensitive so this perhaps explains it. The warmer the better for the Pirelli. But when it becomes really hot they just wear out quickly.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765207 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437148 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261364 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258171 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82737 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877422 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809649 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM