Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Collected my GTS today

reginos:
    Budster:

Yup, I'm also still loving my new GTS, but probably behind the curve in that as my first 911 (and first Porsche) I'm still getting used to everything about the car.  Everything.  After a holiday break, I'm only at 2000km after 6 weeks...

I must admit, I'm battling with the PDK still.  You all refer to "instant", but it's only "instant" in terms of power - it's not instant in terms of reaction, i.e. there's what I'm finding is an annoying half-second (?) pause after clicking the paddle before the change happens. 

Now, I'm sure that it took a little longer to clutch in, change gear and clutch out, but in the manual process, you were engaged in the thoroughly engaged in the process throughout, so you didn't feel like there was any delay, even though there was obviously a delay in the power.  (And as opposed perhaps to the extreme example of an old diesel motor where you had to pause in neutral before engaging the new gear.)

I'm finding it similar to the turbo lag in my old Audi RS2, and I'm definitely not used to it yet, even in manual with the sports button on. 

I'm also finding that the power goes from almost sluggish to warp-speed, again like my old RS2, whereas in my manual S4 the power came on very smoothly.  (If that sounds like a contradiction, remember the Audi RS2 Avant was turbo-sluggish in the extreme, even though once it got going it accelerated to 60 kms/hr faster than Villeneuve's F1 car of the same year...).

Do my observations make any sense to anyone?

Some comments:

1. Your car is hardly run-in at 2000km. Expect a big jump in power at around 10.000km and again at 30.000km.

2. There might be some delay in gear change in Normal mode but in Sport and especially Sport +, changes are instant, whether up or down. Definitely, infinitely faster than any leg and hand would be able to change.

3. I've had a chance to drive a manual 997.2 S (a rare specification these days) and compared to the PDK car it felt very much slower in acceleration and "heavier" in perception (although lighter on the scales). With PDK the  power transmission is so smooth and uninterrupted  that it gives the impression that there is hardly any friction between the engine and wheels. It makes the car feel very nimble and effortless and compared to the manual car it feels at least 100HP more. I find PDK a wonderful innovation. It is in its first generation on the 997.2 and by definition there is a scope for further development and refinement.

4. I appreciate that there is a kind of pleasure in manual gear changes, double clutching, blipping the throttle etc. But for me from now on manual is only for my motorcycles. Not on a car anymore. I hope we get the 991 GT3 with PDK very soon.

I agree with Reginos... 

If you're getting that sort of delay, especially in the Sport modes, then a trip to the OPC should be on your agenda - it's not normal.!

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Many congrats John wink

Can't believe it's been a year already

Wishing you thousands more miles and smiles blush

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Budster:

I must admit, I'm battling with the PDK still. 

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

I battled for about 50'000 km before I realy got used to it Smiley It was a long process of a mix of love and hate. One day for, one day against.

Now I am happy , expect for the ' throttle bleeping' when doing a reverse Smiley and on the odd occasion.

In normal mode it is not instant, but on sport or sport + , it is .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

In normal mode it is not instant, but on sport or sport + , it is .

I accept that (contrary to my first post) that in sport and sport plus it is instant changing up, but even in those modes, there's a delay changing up, don't you think..?  And it's changing up when you want it instant to avoid the revs shooting  up further than you planned (which can make you look like a bit of a twerp in everyday traffic).

BTW (in a statement that almost deserves it's own thread): just what is normal about the normal button..?  Shouldn't it be called the abnormal button, or, to be a serious for a moment, the economy button..?

Let's face it, no-one in their right mind would tune the PDK like that and call it normal, when they're tuning a sportscar's transmission.  If it's about how low they can state the fuel efficiency / CO2, then call it what it is - an economy setting, and don't make it the default setting...  I know this an old chestnut, but not sure if anyone's thought of it this way before...?

--

Budster:
    Gnil:

I accept that (contrary to my first post) that in sport and sport plus it is instant changing up, but even in those modes, there's a delay changing up, don't you think..?  And it's changing up when you want it instant to avoid the revs shooting  up further than you planned (which can make you look like a bit of a twerp in everyday traffic).

BTW (in a statement that almost deserves it's own thread): just what is normal about the normal button..?  Shouldn't it be called the abnormal button, or, to be a serious for a moment, the economy button..?

Yes, normal mode should be called economy, or limo mode, but that would not look good on a 911Smiley Sport = normal !

In order to have the changes instant, even on sport mode, you need to be pushing on the throttle. If you hold back, or are just very smooth on it, the transmission adapts to the driving and does indeed, make the change smoother ( as the box ' knows' there is no need to be ' as fast as possible' as you are not using the engine fully ) in order not to have a brutal gear change when it does not seem to need one. 

You will find out that you can ' play' with the gear box, using your throttle + the paddles .

I only have a real problem with the PDK when I am in a roundabout for example and I have to do a quick accelerating maneuver .Then the PDK shifts down, is slow, just does not what is right  Smiley   I would work if I would be in sport or sport + manual, but usually in town I am not .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

I only have a real problem with the PDK when I am in a roundabout for example and I have to do a quick accelerating maneuver .Then the PDK shifts down, is slow, just does not what is right  Smiley   I would work if I would be in sport or sport + manual, but usually in town I am not .

Why you don't  shift the stick into Manual to hold the gear you wish?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Gnil:

Because in these situations I am in automatic , as I am in heavy traffic in town. And once and a while a suddenly have to do a fast maneuver. I do not want to have to put in manual each time I get near a roundabout ( slow ones ) in town, just in case.....

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    reginos:
    Gnil:

Because in these situations I am in automatic , as I am in heavy traffic in town. And once and a while a suddenly have to do a fast maneuver. I do not want to have to put in manual each time I get near a roundabout ( slow ones ) in town, just in case.....

I see yes

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Gnil:
    reginos:
    Gnil:

I see yes

Just brake a bit harder as you approach the roundabout or pull and hold the left paddle - either will put you in the right gear for the speed you are doing... even in auto mode..Smiley

--

I'll try the '' hold the left paddle'' trick .... that seems the most appropriate for that situation. Thanks kiss

So , after 65'000 km driving the PDK I still learn more about how to use it to it's fullest potential  ( is this called envolvment ? ) 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Hi John,

I am glad you are still loving your GTS!  Ditto here!!  I just passed 9,000 miles and my "one year anniversary" is next week.  I had the 10,000 mile service with first oil change done last week because it was a convenient time for me to take the car to my dealership (about 80 mi from my home).

I have been meaning to post a few photos from the Rennsport Reuunion "History of The 911" display, where I was honored to have my GTS was selected by Porsche as a "unique example of the historic 911".

Rennsport was an experience of a lifetime! ...and I'll never forget it.  I had a blast seein all the historic cars and races, chatting with many of the famous Porsche race drivers and getting lots of autographs too! 

I also got a LOT of compliments at Rennsport on my GTS...and "our black chip guards" were all the rage!  I can't believe how much attention the car got just because of that "retro" look.  kiss

Many people at Rennsport also commented on our "wise decision and the good value" there was in buying the GTS, rather than waiting for the 991.  There were several 991's at Rennsport but the excitement over it just wasn't there!  My dealer's Servic Manager has driven the 991's and says it it awsome and TOTALLY different from the 997, however, he agreed that the GTS is STILL a big winner...and the dealerships ar still getting requests for the GTS, even though they are gone now!  ...at least until the next GTS generation?? 

Next up for my GTS, I am going with all black side view mirrors (black film over the existing mirrors) ...as soon as I have time to take the car in for that installation.  I have decided it will really compliment the chip guards and black top.

Cheers to you John!  ...,and to all the GTS guys out there.  It's an awesome car to drive!!  ...and since my experience at Rennsport Reunion I have become even happier with my decision to own one!

Here are a few shots I took at Rennsport and at the "History of The 911" display.      wink

DSC00905 (2).JPGDSC00920 (2).JPGDSC00901 (2).JPGDSC00830 (2).JPGDSC00832 (2).JPGDSC00839 (2).JPGDSC00850 (2).JPGDSC00867 (2).JPGDSC00977 (2).JPG917, 910.JPG

RS Spyder on track.JPG

Hi Doug - your GTs looks awesome and what an honour!

Please tell us more about the black film option - where do you source this? 

--

@doug1950, thanks for those Rennsport Reunion pics - must have been an amazing experience.  Good to hear that you're still loving your GTS - what a car!

I recently had a pair of white mirrors (on another car, not my GTS) wrapped in black vinyl, but ended up pulling the wrap off within a week, as the edges were curling up and looking terrible.  It may just have been an inferior product, but it obviously couldn't handle the summer heat here.  Good luck with your film and let us know how it works.

i'm about 99% resolved to fit some black stoneguards - every time I look at another white GTS with them, I'm more convinced that it's the right thing to do.  Also planning another very exciting little modification to my car, but more about that if and when it pans out...  Smiley

Hi Doug,

Great to hear from you and many thanks for the excellent coverage and pics of the Rennsport Reunion..Smiley

I, too, will be interested to know about the mirrors with black film as I've still not made up my mind which way to go with them.  They're definitely going to have black featured, but still not sure where or what with?

Congrats on your first anniversary next week - just where does the time go??? Smiley

--

Budster:

Hi Doug - your GTs looks awesome and what an honour!

Please tell us more about the black film option - where do you source this? 

Thanks Budster.   

The Service Manager at my Porsche dealership recommended a place for getting the black film installed on the mirrors.  He says this shop does custom graphics with this film on race cars...Porsches too.   He swears I will be happy and that the shop will do excellent workmanship with the film installation.  I don't know when I am going to find the time to do it.  The shop is 60 miles away and I have to leave the car there for a day....but I will keep you posted when I finally get around to having it done.  Smiley

I was admiring my GTS the other day (as one does), when I suddenly realised that something was wrong.  Let me explain.  One of the things I really like about the GTS design in Carrara White is the black-on-white theme which is evident in many of the exterior features of the car (front and rear spoilers, side sills, etc) - and which have been enhanced on a number of our cars by the addition of black stone guards.  I've also carried this through to the interior with the centre console and dash strips in white (offsetting the black and grey of the leather/alcantara interior trim).

So, what was the problem?  It suddenly struck me that the standard silver/chrome headlight surrounds just didn't tie in with this theme - which started me thinking about changing the headlight surrounds to black (as seen on the 997 Sport Classic and Speedster models).  In addition to unifying the black-on-white theme, this also adds a nice retro touch (I think it was the 1974 911 Turbo RSR which first featured black headlight surrounds).

Having resolved to investigate this option, I started doing an internet search to see what was available.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find this option in either the Porsche Exclusive or Tequipment online catalogues.  I did eventually find a "Speedster Black Headlight Kit" on the Suncoast Parts website - described as "replacing the standard headlight housings with outer clear/chrome trim with the headlight assemblies found on the Sport Classic and Speedster".  The catch?  A price of $3,590 (reduced from the MSRP of $4,970).  By the time shipping and customs duites were added to this, I'd be looking at a total bill of closer to $6,000 - just not realistic.

I did find an alternative though.  Via 6speedonline.com, I came across a product offered by KI Studios, described as "Porsche 997 vinyl headlight trim".  "These vinyl headlight rings are designed to cover the factory silver headlight surround in order for you to black them out...".   Price?  The grand total of $65.  Pictures and testimonials from 6speedonline users suggest that the product looks good and is easy to fit (and, of course, easy to remove if one doesn't like the end result).

I'm seriously tempted to try this option.  The first picture below is of the Suncoast/Porsche product, while the second and third show the KI Studios product.

Suncoast.jpg

1337078698076KIstudios1.jpg

KIstudios2.jpg

This process also started me thinking about something which was discussed on this thread a few months ago, namely the option of going for side-view mirrors either in full black or with just the lower section in black.  @simz had specced this on his white GTS Cab (see first pic below), while both John H and doug1950 were planning to go with either the full- or half-black options.  Strangely, when I first looked at the second and third pictures below (which Ferdie had kindly photoshopped), the black mirrors didn't appeal to me, but I now find them extremely tempting.

I'm curious about whether anyone has actually followed through on this and, if so, what the results were.  What do you guys think of the black headlight surrounds and the black mirrors?  Smiley

slimz.jpg

FullBlack.jpg

HalfBlack.jpg

I'd seriously give it a try, I've always loved the black surrounds on the Sport Classic, if you can get anywhere near that same result for that small outlay, it seems worthwhile to me!

PureBlue:

I started doing an internet search to see what was available.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find this option in either the Porsche Exclusive or Tequipment online catalogues.

That´s actually not surprising. Porsche officially reserves the black headlight surround for the SportClassic and Speedster versions. Guess the only way to obtain them might by having a good relationship to your dealer and / or the according VIN of the above two models to receive replacement parts. Smiley

Here is an less-than-ideal closeup of the SportClassic headlight on the IAA three years ago:

sportclassic.jpg

BTW... won't help for 997, but black headlights are an upcoming option for 991:

XEX Bi-Xenon-Headlights black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS), order intake begins with 11/2012 production

zzboba:

XEX Bi-Xenon-Headlights black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS), order intake begins with 11/2012 production

be interesting to see what it looks like

PDLS already darkens the 'bowl' in which the lights sit, but the rim (i.e. the bit that joins the clear cover to the 'bowl') remains the same colour/trim as the non PDLS lights.

Full black mirrors are nice and would fit the white/black theme and contrast on the GTS kiss

I got black (carbon) mirrors on the Boxster which fits the black wheels and black (carbon) air intakes nicely. Now she is also sporting the black Porsche lettering from the Spyder, but not in the photo.

boxster.jpg

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

Porker:

I'd seriously give it a try, I've always loved the black surrounds on the Sport Classic, if you can get anywhere near that same result for that small outlay, it seems worthwhile to me!

+1

A beaten 911 with a black eye: BIG NO for me (I perceive the surrounding trim as part of the headlight so I am OK with the silver&glass combo). Black side mirrors: yes. Just my 2 cents.
    --

There is no try. Just do.

Mirrors: yes, definitely!

Headlights: for $65, just give it a try. You like it, you keep it. You don't like it, you remove it. Easy.

I would love to have the black surrounded lights.

The 65$ option seems to be much more black then the real thing, as it is not  slightly ' see through' black plastic .

But for that price, give it a try . Not much to loose

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Good comments, thanks guys.  I guess for that sort of outlay, one can't go wrong with the headlight surrounds.  As Pierre said, buy it, fit it, if it doesn't work - ditch it.  As for the mirrors, I'll have to get a price on those from Porsche - I have a feeling it ain't gonna be cheap! 

By the way, what's happened to all our GTS owners here - John, Doug, Simz, Kashmir, Gilmour, Budster, etc?  Would be good to hear how much you're enjoying your GTSs and what you've done with (or to) your cars recently.  Personally, I can say that I'm enjoying this car more every day and that I haven't been tempted for a second to replace it with a 991.  Smiley

Hi Pureblue - I'm loving mine more and more as I become more proficient and comfortable with it (as a new 911 driver). Just too busy to post much right now.  I haven't even taken a decent photo of the car yet (although the speed cameras have 3 so far...)

I will find time to do so soon - and will also give you a call about a Sunday drive....

--

Speeding fines are an occupational hazard when you drive a 911 - I could fill a couple of walls with my collection!  If you have an iPhone or iPad, check out an app called iSpeedCam - pretty good for fixed cameras and it's saved me a bit of money.

Looking forward to that Sunday drive.  I do at least one long drive into the countryside on most weekends.  Also, if you're keen on trying a track day, I can let you know when the Porsche Club schedules the next one at Killarney.  We had a day of gymkhana/autocross last month and there should be a full-course track day coming up before the end of June.  Smiley

Ferdie:
    PureBlue:

I started doing an internet search to see what was available.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find this option in either the Porsche Exclusive or Tequipment online catalogues.

That´s actually not surprising. Porsche officially reserves the black headlight surround for the SportClassic and Speedster versions. Guess the only way to obtain them might by having a good relationship to your dealer and / or the according VIN of the above two models to receive replacement parts.  

@Ferdie, I wonder if I could ask you to photoshop the black headlight surrounds onto the two pictures you originally created to show the black and semi-black mirrors on a white GTS (i.e. the last two pictures in my original post above)?  It would help a lot in appreciating the overall effect of going all-black, i.e. mirrors plus headlights.  Thanks.

Of course you can, shouldn´t take too long...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409636 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255918 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235163 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65630 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4654 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858328 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774569 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM