Crown

Forum - Thread

Oil change--when to do the 1st oil change & what kind of oil?

Hi all,

Anyone know when the first oil change should be performed on a new 991 and I don't live near a Porsche dealer, so it's better I provide the oil and filter, do I need anything else?  Any recommendations on brands and favorites?

I guess I could call a Porsche dealer service dept. and ask their recommendation!  Anyone have a Porsche service favorite in the US I could call?

The closest dealers to me are BMW, Audi and Mercedes, which do you think would be a better choice to do the oil change and other services when needed?

Re: Oil change--when to do the 1st oil change & what kind of oil?

Did you read the manual? smiley

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

Isn't there a Mobil 1 sticker on your car that states that Porsche recommends that brand?

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

BeauCarreraS:

Hi all,

Anyone know when the first oil change should be performed on a new 991 and I don't live near a Porsche dealer, so it's better I provide the oil and filter, do I need anything else?  Any recommendations on brands and favorites?

The closest dealers to me are BMW, Audi and Mercedes, which do you think would be a better choice to do the oil change and other services when needed?

Hi BeauCarreraS Smiley

As an engineer, albeit not automotive, let me reassure you that if you stay with the manufacturer's recommendations you won't go wrong. I assume the 991 is the same as other Porsches with servicing every two years or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first? Smiley If you are doing a lot of short or infrequent journeys you may want to talk to your supplying dealer service dept about having the oil changed yearly and going with their advice.

Personally I wouldn't take our Porsche, let alone a brand new one to anywhere other than a Porsche dealer, failure to keep a proper documented Official Porsche service history will cripple your car's value and possibly reliability and warranty. Also a Porsche dealer will have all the proper equipment and tools, the proper Porsche computerised diagnostic equipment, latest up to date technical briefs to ensure your car receives the proper attention that it deserves. However inconvenient I can only strongly recommend that you go back to your Porsche dealer. IMO, it's absolutely essential. Don't forget that the first, two year service also coincides with a brake fluid change as brake fluid is "hydroscopic" (absorbs moisture) hence the two year change interval which must not be exceeded under any circumstances.  Do you really want a non-Porsche dealer to tamper with the car's brakes? Smiley The Porsche dealer will also give the car a "health check" at every service which can only be done using specific diagnostic equipment, and all Porsche dealer service technicians have to undergo an intensive training course.  I'd even get them to change non-service history related stuff like tyres as it can be a killer (quite literally) if an independent tyre supplier talks you into fitting non "N" rated Porsche recommended tyres or fails to fit them properly.

Some here may not agree with this strict "Porsche only" regime - on their head be it! Smiley

Even my humble Toyota Clockwork Rat goes to the Toyota dealer for it's servicing even though there is an independent garage round the corner which "could" service it.

I would recommend you purchase 5 litres of Mobil 1 to keep in your garage as a brand new engine will use a little more oil until components such as piston rings etc bed in properly. It will certainly require topping up long before the first service is due, and you don't want to be caught out.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

There should be a booklet provided with the car, separate from the car's handbook,  which lays down service intervals and what should be done and when. Smiley

--

BeauCarreraS:

Hi all,

I guess I could call a Porsche dealer service dept. and ask their recommendation!  Anyone have a Porsche service favorite in the US I could call?

I don't know how things work in the US but in Germany, you have to use a certified Porsche dealer and/or service point for any kind of maintenance or repair, otherwise your warranty is...toast. May be the same in the US, so be careful.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

In the US, you cannot be forced to use a dealer in order to keep your factory warranty. The manufacturer's warranty is in full force as long as you can document that you followed the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, regardless of who did the work. Now, if something goes wrong, you will have a much easier time if you have a complete maintenance record in Porsche's system; then there are the gray areas...

Even I - the cheapskate of this board, would go to a dealer with a new car that is under warranty for oil changes.

You know how I feel about after warranty repairs and N1 rated tires, lol...

I'm on 5000kms in 5 months an the oil gauge hasn't moved yet: I'm getting worried that it's broken..!

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Budster:

I'm on 5000kms in 5 months an the oil gauge hasn't moved yet: I'm getting worried that it's broken..!

Some cars use more oil, some use less. You're one of the lucky ones. Don't complain. Smiley

--

fritz

Budster:

Your lucky Budster, my GTS needed its first litre at 5000km.

fritz:
    Budster:

Some cars use more oil, some use less. You're one of the lucky ones. Don't complain. Smiley

Yip, I'm pretty pleased about it.  But can I be pleased simply that I'm going to be spending less on oil, or does it also suggest that's it's a good'un in terms of overall life expectancy, power, or anything else..?

do motors that burn oil mean they are in any small way inferior, or just that they like oil?

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

bluelines:  :)

easy_rider911:  yes thank you.

dreamcar:  thanks for all the advise all the time.  i'm not as strict as you, but i will take your recommendations for this car for sure :)  Great idea to have extra oil on-hand.

RC & KMM:  the few times i appreciate the US for trying to be fair... :o  but what would we do without Germany and their wonderful creations? :)

I appreciate everyone's input.

I saw this I thought it was funny on another site:  

I have gotten all kinds of responses on how to break in my new targa 4s. From drive like a bat out of hell to 2000 miles under 4k rpm. 
    I have read while reviewing these responses that you should change oil at 3000 miles, other comments say let the oil get old it is better for the engine. My salesperson says 18,000. My guess is that nobody has done any studies to show in routine driving what is best for the car and that everyones strong feelings are just their variety of old wife tales. I still would like to know what you think for a new car with mainly commuter driving, no racing. Thanks
    drjay2
    PS My first attending in my internship some 45 years ago-told us that most people who have no complaints probably never need a physical until they die. Then they no need one. I would say that everyone should get a chest x-ray every year (yes I am a radiologist) and that way I can afford my next porsche.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/78370-how-often-do-you-change-oil.html

and these pictures and comments kinda scared me!!!

"...This is what you need to do to change the oil and filter , Air Filter on a 991.

Now, I do really like the look of the new car but is it me or is this a genuinely stupid design? whats a dealer going to charge 500 bucks to change the oil?
    Maybe the bumper is "quick release".... nah...."

PHOTOS HERE:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/679162-991-oil-change-this-will-make-you-appreciate-your-996-a.html

is there a button where i can turn this picture around?  in my photo it is not on it's side only here.photo (59).JPG

There's something a bit strange about you Beau.!! yes

For one - why would you be so concerned, at this early stage, about changing the oil on a brand new 991?  

Methinks you may be wasting our time for reasons best known to yourself!!  If I'm doing you a mis-service.. then I apologise, but you'll have to first convince me that this is the case ...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Having worked on these cars for many years I can say with confidence that the tail light and bumper removal are not only a piece of cake but after that access is MUCH better and bigger jobs will be simpler from there - like spark plugs, alternators, belts, etc.  It looks a little scary and makes you shy away (certainly will not take it to Jiffy lube or even the BMW dealer) BUT for DIY later it will make life easy!!  Thank you Porsche.  Just treat the body panels with care when removing.  I would love to see the fastening system for the lights and bumper.  Any pictures of the actual fasteners used?

"I have gotten all kinds of responses on how to break in my new targa 4s. From drive like a bat out of hell to 2000 miles under 4k rpm. "

I think that the little book called an owner's manual recommends keeping it below 4,200 rpm for the first 2,000 miles. However, I won't pretend that I agree with everything they say; for instance, I would get the first oil change earlier than recommended and follow the recommended intervals after.

surely changing oil more frequently can do no harm, and possibly good.

oil is lubricant which deteriorates. as such, changing it more often means improved protection for the engine

KMM:

In the US, you cannot be forced to use a dealer in order to keep your factory warranty. The manufacturer's warranty is in full force as long as you can document that you followed the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, regardless of who did the work. Now, if something goes wrong, you will have a much easier time if you have a complete maintenance record in Porsche's system; then there are the gray areas...

What about so called goodwill repairs after the warranty runs out? I know for a fact that Porsche won't grant any kind of goodwill repair if the car wasn't serviced at an approved and certified Porsche dealer.

Meaning: If you keep the car longer than two years or so, good luck.

I know of cases when Porsche paid 75% or even 50% of the repairs on cars older than three or four years. Just saying...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (May 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

John H:

For one - why would you be so concerned, at this early stage, about changing the oil on a brand new 991?  

Methinks you may be wasting our time for reasons best known to yourself!!  If I'm doing you a mis-service.. then I apologise, but you'll have to first convince me that this is the case ...

Be gentle. I know it can be a problem when a dealer is far far away. This is why I never bought an exotic car, the last time I bought a car from a dealer at a dealership aprox. 70 km away from my home, it was a pain in the a.. . Never again. Local or...nothing.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (May 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC - Perhaps Porsche covers these 'goodwill' repairs BECAUSE we in the US get a 4 year 50K miles warranty!  Not to mention we pay a lot less for the cars and service in the first place.

What you call goodwill we call minimum.  Even so Porsche USA has covered repairs after the warranty in some cases.  I can gurantee you the major decider is the type of failure and if you are likely to keep owning Porsches in the future NOT did you have the car serviced at the dealer.  Americans are very leary (rightly so) of car makers that force you to use their service at inflated prices.

John H:

Isn't a first service of great importance, as the oil used for running the engine in has different characteristics and might contain some debris etc?

Leawood911:

RC - Perhaps Porsche covers these 'goodwill' repairs BECAUSE we in the US get a 4 year 50K miles warranty!  Not to mention we pay a lot less for the cars and service in the first place.

What you call goodwill we call minimum.  Even so Porsche USA has covered repairs after the warranty in some cases.  I can gurantee you the major decider is the type of failure and if you are likely to keep owning Porsches in the future NOT did you have the car serviced at the dealer.  Americans are very leary (rightly so) of car makers that force you to use their service at inflated prices.

So let me see: Any other non-Porsche dealer has diagnostic equipment to be able to service and/or repair Porsche cars? You also want to tell me that Porsche doesn't care if non-authorized dealers service the car and mess up things? Like the one dealer who messed up the entire wiring in a 911, causing a 20k USD damage and the owner blaming Porsche for that? Smiley How can customers get factory upgrades and fixes if the dealer servicing the car doesn't have that information? Are you aware of the complexity of modern sports cars?

I get it...people pay 100k for a car but want to save 100 bucks on service. Really makes sense to me. Smiley

--

sfo, probably you're right!  i think next opportunity which needs to be for the recalls (unfortunately)  i'll just ask for an oil change anyway whether it's time or not !  :)

Fuel line which was mentioned in a post already and PDK control unit:

The PDK control unit can sometimes be misdiagnosed on the affected vehicles due to a software error if the engine is switched off in selector-lever positions “P” or “D” and is then re-started again in selector-lever position “N”.

As a result, fault code “P1772 – Gear valve 2 stuck on pressure” is stored in the fault memory of the PDK control unit and the PDK transmission switches to the reduced driving program until the ignition is switched off and on again.

Action Required:

Re-program the PDK control unit using a modified data record.

Porker:
    Isn't a first service of great importance, as the oil used for running the engine in has different characteristics and might contain some debris etc?

Frank - that certainly was the case before 'fully synthetic' came along.  There's really no risk of debris, shavings etc with these engines using Mobil 1. 

I won't be changing mine until my first service at 20,000 miles or two years... as recommended in the manual..Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

RC:
    Leawood911:

So let me see: Any other non-Porsche dealer has diagnostic equipment to be able to service and/or repair Porsche cars? You also want to tell me that Porsche doesn't care if non-authorized dealers service the car and mess up things? Like the one dealer who messed up the entire wiring in a 911, causing a 20k USD damage and the owner blaming Porsche for that? Smiley How can customers get factory upgrades and fixes if the dealer servicing the car doesn't have that information? Are you aware of the complexity of modern sports cars?

I get it...people pay 100k for a car but want to save 100 bucks on service. Really makes sense to me. Smiley

Okay RC - not certain where all that came from since my main point was that we have DOUBLE the warranty which obviously means you would go to the dealer for repair.  Hence your 'goodwill' repairs after just a two year warranty are not such a big deal - kind of embarrasing to have stuff break after two years and I can see they would not want the bad press.  It may also just be a brilliant ploy to keep people loyal - nothing wrong with that.  I am all for keeping customers happy and spending money blindly, just not me as the blind customer.

Yes, my independent service shop has all the latestest Porsche Diagnostics - by law in America this has to be made available.  The guys that work there used to work for the dealers.  They charge almost the same shop rate but do better work!  They have been around for decades supporting out of warranty Porsches.  We have one dealer in town and his 'performance' has made these guys not just rich but more knowledgeable in many cases.  It is called competition and it works really well.  Without them our dealer would have to close, end of story.  For a long time my dealer offered $60 oil changes with loaner car included as a result. (don't know what happened to that special) -

Thanks to Excellent Porsche engineering and the diagnostic tools, manuals and well documented repair procedures it certainly is possible that ANYONE, not just a dealer who overcharges to mount tires, can repair a Porsche.  Yes, I do know about the complexity of modern sports cars.  Do you want to test my knowledge?  Your premise that there is savings and risk does not hold up.  It is a better service and a better value.  Spending more money has never guaranteed results.  Regardless of how much I spend on a car I am going to go to the best shop.  Sadly that has never been the dealer in this town.  I am certain Germany is different and also your perspective is clear to everyone on this forum, as is mine.  I dare say there are more trying to save money like me on this forum than looking for advice on how to dial the Dealers number.  One of the greatest things about this forum is it allows more people to enjoy Porsche ownership by learning from others.  This increases the value of all of our cars as more people seek them if they understand they are not expensive to own. 

While I can afford to buy a 100K Porsche I get full enjoyment having spent half that for my 997s which I have driven the wheels off for the last 6 years with a giant grin!  My cost of ownership is a couple hundred dollars a month (repairs, gas, insurance, taxes, tires) not thousands so I am going the smart route (given my spending habits) by finding value and keeping my car running very well.  Say what you want, my car is running like a bat out of hell and I get the exact same amount of enjoyment out of it that any other 997S owner gets (not to mention my new coiloversSmiley). 

Don't worry about questioning my judgement though I suspect you do see the practical side of my argument - I have lots of gas money left to make my 20 hour drives at the end of the day!  I also maintain three other new cars, two motorcycles and a speed boat at the lakehouse.  I don't have all my chips in the 997 by any means.  It is just a frigging car, I act and live like it does not matter there is a Porsche badge on it.  I enjoy the way it drives.  It annoys me that it can be expensive.  I avoid that part, some think it is a badge of honor to pay big bills. Think of me as the guy who scores the touchdown and then walks away without spiking the football because I have done it so many times. It is just a Porsche, made to be driven - enjoy it and spend money where it matters.  Buy a friend a beer with the savings - Smiley  

Bottom line - It is just a car - and a very well built one that is simple to work on.  Give Porsche some credit and don't frighten owners into just using dealers.  Let them decide, that is what local Porsche clubs are for - find the good repair shops and keep them honest.  When people use local shops (and dare I say NON N-rated tires since you brought it up, not) it creates competition and lower prices for all Porsche owners.  Perhaps it is because of this freedom of choice that car ownership is so much more inexpensive here in the Midwest and in the  US in general.

Prost Smiley

PS RC - how would your relationship with the dealer be impacted if anyone could work on your car during the warranty period?  Can you really justify the argument that competition would be bad somehow?  ANSWER - see how it works in the US, we have the four year warranty.  I rest my case Smiley

@Leawood911

I'll stay with the Porsche Only discipline, thanks. Call it peace of mind.

--

Dreamcar,  as you have mentioned previously that you have multiple dealerships available to you; wouldn't that mean that you also have free market competition between them as opposed to living in a one horse town (or one dealership town)?

As an engineer do you agree with John H that " There's really no risk of debris, shavings etc with these engines using Mobil 1. "  I always thought that debris, shavings etc came from the engine being broken in and not from the oil itself. Are today's engines so finely machined that none of that applies anymore?

I am merely advocating on the side of getting one "extra" oil change early in the life of the vehicle especially if the vehicle has to go back to the dealer for warranty work anyway. They will probably throw it in as a very low or no cost service.

Gladstone:

Dreamcar,  as you have mentioned previously that you have multiple dealerships available to you; wouldn't that mean that you also have free market competition between them as opposed to living in a one horse town (or one dealership town)?

I do indeed have a "Dutch auction" between  two of the three Porsche dealers I could use although the dealer that sold us our 997 has already bribed me with the promise of a day's loan of a 991! Done deal then  Smiley The third dealer is the one who sold us our Cayman and I wouldn't go there at any price, on principle. Smiley

As an engineer do you agree with John H that " There's really no risk of debris, shavings etc with these engines using Mobil 1. "  I always thought that debris, shavings etc came from the engine being broken in and not from the oil itself. Are today's engines so finely machined that none of that applies anymore?

I would say there is no risk whatsoever. All components should be thoroughly and srupulously cleaned prior to assembly any way - if debris appears in the oil when in service then a lot more than a premature oil change will be required!  That is the purpose of the oil filter anyway, to capture any particles before the oil pump circulates the oil to the vital parts.

I am merely advocating on the side of getting one "extra" oil change early in the life of the vehicle especially if the vehicle has to go back to the dealer for warranty work anyway. They will probably throw it in as a very low or no cost service.

I'm sure if it was really necessary Porsche would specify the oil change in their schedules. Personally I would only advocatre this if the car has particularly arduous service i.e. a lot of very short runs so that the engine does not reach the optimum running temperature which would cause additional impurities to be suspended in the oil. I'd go with the dealer service department recommendations on this.

As I've said earlier, I am a marine engineer not automotive - but the theory is the same when it comes to infernal combustion engines.  Maybe someone like Fritz can provide a more authoritive answer here.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764805 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436815 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261180 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258081 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82707 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877140 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809292 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM