Crown

Forum - Thread

black paint already with swirl mark scratches

My brand new black 991 already has swirl mark scraches mostly on the hood but other places too.  Any recommendation as to how to get rid of them?  Also, how do you keep this black beauty beautiful?? :)

Also, I usually have it covered, does the cover contribute to scratches? :-/

Re: black paint already with swirl mark scratches

BeauCarreraS:

Also, I usually have it covered, does the cover contribute to scratches? :-/

Unfortunately yes, if the surface of the car is dusty and you pull the cover over it, then minor scratches will appear.

--

Thanks, that's good to know for the future.  But as of yet, I haven't covered it in dusty shape.

Black paint is fun, after the recall service on my 991, the dealer washed it and left a huge amount of swirl marks and scratches.  They ended up getting it detailed after I made a big stink.  Made the point it didn't look like that after I washed it.  Just be careful when washing / waxing the car.  If the wax dries too much it can basically turn into grit, so imagine what happens when you wipe it off.  I also wouldn't let the dealer wash it if you are sensitive to swirl marks (like I am).

Wouldn't try to remove dust with any type of duster, it can leave light scratches that'll show up with flat black paint.  Nothing permanent but annoying.

Right now I'm pretty ticked at Porsche's clear coat quality.  Had two bird droppings (normal white color, not full of berries or anything obviously more acidic than normal) burn into my clear coat within an hour.  I was not pleased, the detailer wasn't sure he could get them out.  Thankfully he was able to after some work.  I realize it's a new car and the clear isn't fully cured and new materials are more susceptible to environmental factors, but an hour?  Never had that problem with any vehicle before, including my 997.2; my neighbor is a manager for a Toyota plant paint shop, he was quite surprised.  PCNA is pretty much useless as they say there is no issue.  How they determined that without seeing the car or doing any analysis on the clear is beyond me.  Have work experience in materials development of similar materials in much more severe environments and would love to talk to the engineer who signed off on the clear coat spec.

Rant over, sorry for the hi-jack.

"Rant over"  funny!!! :)

I appreciate the confirmation.  Still disappointed that it has these scratches noticeable more at night in my garage.  I live too far from any dealer to try and have them do anything.

Well I wouldn't have the dealer do anything other than pay for a detailing.  May be worth asking around to see if any good detailers are near you?  

Also get them to throw in some clear side markers!  Our cars are very similar black w/ black wheels, but I swapped out the side markers and I think it looks a little nicer.
    Some pics of mine are in the "Goodbye 997.2, Hello 991" thread.

Thanks, I'll look and see if there is anyone around who can detail it nicely, but I may have to end up doing it myself.  Any product recommendations?

Oh, I liked the clear side markers, I will order those--forget the dealer for anything :-/ (unfortunately).

Nice pictures of your 991, nice wheels.  One thing I did that I think looks much classier is that I had the Porsche and Carrera S decals (both) removed from the back.  :)  And the windows I had tinted which I think looks really sharp.

I always make sure to tell the dealer not to wash the car when I have it serviced. 

They usually do a horrible job. What's worse is seeing the cars on their lot being washed by the outfit to whom they outsource the job: two guys in a van with a power washer...

Try Zaino.  Great system, but labor intensive.  Well worth it IMHOblush

--
    997S Cab. Arctic Silver/Black Top '03 Chrome Silver 350 Z

thanks a lot, yeah i think i will just wash it myself.  how do you wash and dry yours KMM?

i'll look into Zaino woody77.  labor intensive is fine, i enjoy spending the time with her :)

Never let anyone wash you car!  When I wash it I use spot free rinse and then drive it until it is air dry.  Don't ever use car covers.  MOST Importantly - if you have a black car like mine - DON'T LOOK for scratches or swirls, you will always find them - fixing them obessively is the worst thing you can do .  You will run out of paint!  Just sit back, enjoy the car and know that you have done your best not to touch it.  Every five years have some guy detail it and bring the paint back.  It will be worth it.

Drive the CAR!

Drive the CAR :)))  ok...  of course i want to...

thanks for the advise and something i can definitely deal with.  ok i'll let them be.  can you tell me how you wash it exactly what brands you use, what cloths, etc.?  thanks.  and what about the wheels and tires?  

I have a pile of very soft washcloths I use only for washing the car (around 15 to 20 of them).  I use each one on a small area of the car, and never rinse and reuse one of them over the course of the wash; only reuse them after they have gone through a washing machine.  This way, I minimize picking up dirt and moving it around.  It actually makes the washing process flow pretty quickly too.

I also do a final rinse with softened, filtered water, blow some of the body channels out with compressed air, and air dry.

Honestly though, I'm not that picky with regard to water spots, I just want to minimize scratches as much as reasonable.

glass cleaners ok with paper towels on windows???  good idea about the wash cloths.

this video showing a $5000 dollar carwash is amusing!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LSle_WgexQ

I've never had problems with glass cleaner.  I apply to the towel directly (I use old, torn up undershirts) to avoid overspray onto the paint.  Again though, I'm no expert, concourse, detailer!

One thing: from your pic (avatar) you seem to be in an area that may have airborne dust/sand/dirt.  For me, I'd refrain from driving the car to air dry it, and would clean it after a drive rather than before; letting the car air dry while sitting in the garage.  You may find that you end up with more water spots that way, but keeping it clean to avoid scratches may be more important than keeping it clean to look perfect - at least to me anyway.

I think Leawood is right on the money above too: don't look too closely, too often.  You may just stress yourself out, and end up over maintaining the paint until its gone!

that pic was taken in colorado, but that's not where i am!  but yes i am in a dusty, hot air dessert climate!  so yeah better let it air dry in the garage.  thanks for the tips :)

do you have any ideas about the wheels, they are powder coated black, should they also be cleaned with delicate care as the car paint?

I have my P car detailed every year by a local Zymol man, who has won many awards for his detailing. The wax does add a protective layer that helps minimise these annoying tiny scratches.  In between waxes and every couple of months I apply Zymol Field Glaze which refreshes the wax. This regime really does work. A professional detailer can do so much more than an amateur like myself - and it takes my man a full day to do it properly. Rinse, wash, rinse, dry, clay, pre wax cleanser then finally wax and polish. Clean and polish the wheels and treat the tyres. Then feed and treat the leather - again this should be done at least once a year.

Only had our pre owned 997 a few weeks, the paintwork does not look like it has received professional attention in it's life so far so I am looking forward to it giving it that better than new car shine. Might take some photos whilst it's being done and post here.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

thanks a lot for the tips and yes send pictures, even of it right now!  :)

DC - how much does your detailer charge for this service... if you don't mind me asking? 

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

I use this twice a year:

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g12718-nxt-generationreg-tech-waxreg-20/

I can highly recommend this wax, even if you have small swirls they disappear! Very easy to apply and since I use that I don't see any swirls at all on my paint anymore. My car is 3 1/2 years old and the paint looks better than new! It takes max 30 minutes to apply - using the meguiars wax machine for applying and take off (apply with a foam and taking off with a fear). Try it - you wont be disappointed!

John H:

DC - how much does your detailer charge for this service... if you don't mind me asking? 

£250. That's his price for doing the work at our home - which is only 10 miles from him. Quite a few customers leave their car with him, have a day on the south coast and pick the car up when the job is done.

http://www.johnswax.co.uk/acatalog/Zymol_Detailer.html

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

hi davew,

what kind of compressed air do you use?  

you were right about not driving it in a dusty climate--i just tried to air dry it by driving it outside for 2 miles and came back with dust spots and filthy filthy wheels after i just washed everything!  

Hey "Beauty"!

My compressed air is really pretty low tech.  Just a simple air compressor, an air hose, and a spray nozzle.  Not really powerful enough to spray off the entire car (I could, but it would take forever), but I do spray out seams and edges that can hold water and let it drip our later, causing streaks:  around mirrors, panel seams, window edges, and door jams, etc.  I do sometimes try to drive some of the water off the hood, roof, and rear cover, but even that's pretty slow going.  I need a full wax again soon, which will help the water roll off a bit, which is probably better.

The main rinse I do with regular water (from a hose or very light pressure washer), and a follow-up rinse of filtered water from my kitchen.  I used to just pour the filtered water from a gallon jug, but I just bought a small pump sprayer to try as an experiment (haven't done it yet).  I let the filtered water just air dry, and it doesn't seem to spot at all.

Honestly though I don't put a lot of emphasis on a perfectly clean car (more power to you for doing what you love though), because I live in a rural area where it gets a little dirty every time I drive (which is only for pleasure, but pretty often).   I totally understand your driving limitations though.  And I share you concern about scratches.

One more thing that I find helps a bit:  I wash the car either in the garage, in the shade, or in the cool morning, so that the exterior is cool, and I'm not racing to keep rinsing it before the soapy water (or even the hose water) dries on the car.  My dark blue car, like your black, gets crazy hot in the direct sun.

Thanks for all the tips about the areas where you use the air compressor, the filtered water, and washing the car inside and/or early morning.

BeauCarreraS:

hi davew,

what kind of compressed air do you use?  

you were right about not driving it in a dusty climate--i just tried to air dry it by driving it outside for 2 miles and came back with dust spots and filthy filthy wheels after i just washed everything!  

Hey, a pilot friend of mine who is also a car nut indecision and lives out in the desert recommended to me the use of a leaf blower. The results are really mind blowing ...   No more hard water spots from areas where water usually keeps dripping out or has accumulated! You can blow out all the gaps, the wheels, and so on ...

Click here to buy.

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

Leave blowers are dangerous. If there are any particles in the air or on the car, the high pressure airflow is just going to shoot them right at the paint and scratch it :(

Whoopsy:

Leave blowers are dangerous. If there are any particles in the air or on the car, the high pressure airflow is just going to shoot them right at the paint and scratch it :(

That's a good point.  Also, I think (could be way off here, but I think) the design of some leaf blowers includes the combustion exhaust in the blown air stream, so you may be blowing exhaust gases onto your paint, which (I think) would be degrading to the finish.  I would definitely check that out before I used one for that purpose...

My compressor does filter the air on its way into the tank, so I don't think I am shooting airborne particles at the car, at least not directly.  Good point to think about though.

Obviously, you have to be very, very careful with a pressure sprayer as well.  Mine is very low power (electric) and I use it in a very wide, weak setting.

Thanks for all the comments here.  I appreciate additional thoughts on this stuff as well!  Especially when it comes to making the process quicker, easier, and better for the car!

As davew said it perfectly:  

Thanks for all the comments here.  I appreciate additional thoughts on this stuff as well!  Especially when it comes to making the process quicker, easier, and better for the car!

Whoopsy:

I don't mean the kind of leaf blower that you see people using on the sidewalk, pushing dirt from one place to another... and I had the same concerns as you when it was first recommended to meSmiley

The blower I recommended is electric, quiet, lightweight and blows clean air. True, if there are any particles that get sucked in through the back, or if you blow into a water puddle and get sand or something blown at the car, it will cause damage. But if used carefully it works just like compressed air, I think it isn't any more dangerous than driving fast in clean air, on a clean road with nothing flying at you.Smiley  It's definitely worth a try, I was amazed at the results myself and can only suggest trying it to find out. Smiley

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

Pilot:

...I think it isn't any more dangerous than driving fast in clean air...

That's a pretty good point!  I hadn't thought of it that way.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM