Crown

Forum - Thread

Car basically in my living room--how often should a new 991 be driven?

I dont have too many opportunities during the week to drive this beauty, but I'm trying to make a point of driving it at least once a week for about 30 minutes, any recommendations?

Re: Car basically in my living room--how often should a new 991 be driven?

To have fun.

:)  yes, i was having fun in my once totaled but now rebuilt 01 boxster yesterday in the blistering heat with no air and somewhat crappy music, so yes, i know how to have fun :)) thx

Beau - what is your question? :)

How often you should drive you own car?

--
    2012 Cayenne TT (on order for june 2012), 997.1 Targa 4s, 2009 Q5 3.2

Send it over to my place, and I'd be happy to drive it for you - no charge.

Unless you have an exceptionally large living room, I would imagine it will be difficult to put real miles on it.  I recommend you drive it outside.

In answer to your question though, I think that 30 minutes a week will be enough to keep it alive and well.

Yes, in general how often should a new car like the 991 be driven.  It's my own car yes.  :)  

because i have heard that you shouldnt let it sit for too long.  or that weekend driving is not enough for these cars.  for example, my 01 boxster (before it was totaled--and even now) just seems to drive better when we drive it everyday, if it sits for a few days it shows problems.

hahahah funny :)  i was considering just using it as a piece of art in my living room.  :)  but for now, i want to keep it mechanically in good shape so i was wondering how often and for how long it should be driven as to cause no problems...

i just saw that you said 30 minutes is enough.  thanks :)

BeauCarreraS:

i just saw that you said 30 minutes is enough.  thanks :)

I'd be inclined to say that 30 mins a week would be too marginal. Modern cars' electronics are sensitive to battery voltage and tend to throw a hissy fit it gets low. A 30 min drive would barely replace the energy you'd use to start the car and then maybe restart it to look at the scenery or after closing / opening a manual garage door.
    A couple of weeks of that and you're likely to find the car not wanting to start at all one day and, if the 991 electronics are not a lot more stable than those of its predecessors, the low voltage may also result in warning lights lighting up on the dash. 
    However much time you manage to devote to your car, one long trip will be better than several short ones for the battery. Better still, connect it up to a trickle charger to keep the battery in good shape. 

--

fritz

Thanks Fritz, I will take it for an out-of-town trip every couple of months for like 2 or 3 days and would the short ones like lets say one per week for an hour sound ok?

I will look into the trickle charger--have any favorite brands and suggestions on where to buy that?

BeauCarreraS:

I will look into the trickle charger--have any favorite brands and suggestions on where to buy that?

I have a Swedish C-TEK, which appears to do the job. Many others also swear by it.

This would appear to be the USA version (110V instead of 230V mains voltage) of the one I have: 

http://www.amazon.com/Ctek-Battery-Charger-Multi-56-158/dp/B000FQBWCY/ref=pd_sim_auto_1

--

fritz

thanks so much you're very kind.

We are not guaranteed another day on this earth, so drive it any chance you get and be thankful you have the opportunity to drive something incredible!!  Enjoy it and enjoy it often.blushwink

--
    997S Cab. Arctic Silver/Black Top '03 Chrome Silver 350 Z

yes, i'm very thankfull, i love this car so much it is incredible that i have it...  :)

I'd say as much as you can as often as you can. 

Keeping it mechanically in good shape is ultimately going to be down to how much care you put into in and about your regular maintenance of the car, not the fact that you use it less to preserve it. 

thanks Enmanuel, i will do my best to take great care of it and i'll try to drive it as much as possible.  :)

Well what's  your daily? I'd say drive it EVERY day!! A 911 has always meant to be driven. I does well in all conditions and climates and it's comfortable and safe to do so. Unless you carry 200kg of tools to work each day, i do not see why you couldn't drive it all week.

On the flip side you can store it easily for years with the right stuff. Trickle charger, new gasoline, a hoist to avoid flat spots on the tires etc etc.. But really, this isn't some rare classic! You could display it as art almost where you see it, but i really bet you that that will not give much satisfaction after a while. I would want to drive it everytime i see it for example and end up using it daily.

Also, think of F1 drivers like Mark Webber. He's so busy with the race season, i bet he only drives his GT2 RS a couple of times a year..

Atzporsche:

Also, think of F1 drivers like Mark Webber. He's so busy with the race season, i bet he only drives his GT2 RS a couple of times a year..

there's a 2 year old GT2 RS on sale at OPC Bristol, it's 2 owner, and has done 600 miles!

See, someone's garage queen. I am confident that car is 100% mechanically sound. So storing or not driving them isn't the issue.

I doubt Mark Webber sold his though.. he would rather sell his left nut angry smiley

I apologize for these remarks, but seriously, its a Porsche 911!!!! Drive it whenever you feel like it! It's not like we're talking about preserving some $200 million Ferrari. 

If you don't feel like driving it, fine, let it sit, it's a 911 nothing will happen, these are the most reliable cars on Earth. If you're in the mood to drive it, go ahead and have fun, after all it is a Porsche.

100% agree with Carrara - why buying a 911 if you don't drive it ? they are ment to be driven - hard indecision

I can understand that limited available time, and dedication to particular activities can constrain your opportunity to put regular miles on a particular vehicle.  I've been there myself...

Putting a trickle charger on it, and driving it enough to at least keep the gas fresh (30 minutes a week would probably suffice, especially if you don't generally keep the tank full, however, filling it partially and letting it sit for weeks on end will surely worsen the condition); and making sure that the engine gets fully up to temperature when you drive (I'm assuming that the 30 minutes are all at once; not multiple, very short hops on different days) probably keeps your car from any negative impact due to non-use. 

Other than this, if the main reason for your concern is longevity, I don't think you have anything to worry about.  If your real concern is resale, I'm sure you're neither hurting nor protecting your money in this approach.  The first year of a present-day 911 will probably experience measurable depreciation regardless of the miles you rack up.  We all know that they improve these babies a little each year, and that they make a heck of a lot of them anymore...

I imagine that you have already considered the depreciation you are likely to experience on your 991, and have compared that to the number of miles you are likely to put on it while it is in your ownership.  I recommend that you not divide the later into the former and think about it; or much less banter it about among others, who's potentially simple, academic opinions of your judgement matter to you!

I also suspect that you own the car because you value it strongly on some reasonable, though emotional level(s) so I wouldn't criticize your purchase or usage in any way; but I do agree with others here that, whatever your reasons for not driving the car, you needn't feel that you are either shooting yourself in the foot, nor are you likely protecting any sort of investment here.

I salute you as you enjoy the ownership of a fabulous work of engineering, art, and technology.  Rock on!

thanks everyone for your responses, i guess the best thing is to try and drive it as much as possible, which i will try and do soon.  wonderful rest of the week.

something is wrong if you have to try :)  I drive a 911 for 5 years... every day, sun/rain/snow/ice by myself with kids... don't see why you have to force yourself to do it, I thought people buy cars to drive rather than post on the forum about them and then try to drive them

--
    2012 Cayenne TT (on order for june 2012), 997.1 Targa 4s, 2009 Q5 3.2

BlackSparrow : Let BeauCarreraS enjoy his car as he wants. To each his own. He says he can't drive it more , or chooses not to use as a DD, that's fine too.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I don't see this as all that strange.

It may sound kind of weird to some on here, but I experience some social settings where driving an affluent marque can actually carry a negative connotation, even in a business setting.  Some of my peers and clients see it as flashy, and begin to question my income and billing rate, driven by some amount of jealousy or other false impression. 

I don't preoccupy myself with other people's opinions within my self security, but when sentiment affects business, utility comes into play.

Sometimes a Porsche denotes success and attracts more business, sometimes it shows excess and shocks people.  It all depends on the audience.  You wouldn't wear a tuxedo to the grocery store would you?

My time is also somewhat generally spoke for, so periodic pleasure drives are only occasional for me as well.  Add to that the ownership of multiple cars, and you have a recipe for intentional use of the car in order to keep miles on it. 

But for me, owning a car I love helps make the most of the limited opportunities!

thank you Gnil :)  really blacksparrow, I have my reasons...  thanks for your posts :)  btw, i'm a girl and so is my carrera ;)

DAVE, you said it perfectly, THANKS.  :)

Gnil:

BlackSparrow : Let BeauCarreraS enjoy his car as he wants. To each his own. He says he can't drive it more , or chooses not to use as a DD, that's fine too.

Exactly well said Smiley

wink to girls driving a 911 ! I love it - here in CH a lot of ladies drive their 911's with pride and joy ! Enjoy it to the max ! cool

BeauCarreraS:

I dont have too many opportunities during the week to drive this beauty, but I'm trying to make a point of driving it at least once a week for about 30 minutes, any recommendations?

One of my holiday dreams is to drive from one coast to the other in the USA in a great car exploring the real America - fancy lending me your 991? Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

I don't believe this - almost 30 posts on a new 991 thread and not one photo...heart

C'mon Beau... show us what you got...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM