Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Aston Martin one-77

PinKchampagnE:
    racerx:

The best car available today.

Way too soon to make that kind of statement IMO. Figures are only half of the story.

Here are some more figures I did last night to get a feel for the car's performance possibilities;

LB's per HP
    4.4 177

5.03 CGT

5.94  997 turbo s

LB's per TQ
    6.89  cgt

5.89  177

6.1   997 turbo S

You are right figures are LESS than half the story. You will seldom find me arguing in these SILLY magazine threads about what car is a tenth of a second quicker than some other car around some track (unless I am standing up for an American product). Pointless discussions.

The story is looks, sound, luxury, quality, and numbers AS they all relate to design and engineering. If you have read this entire thread and examined the pictures you should have already come to the conclusion that this car is in a league by itself. 

It's practically all CF. The engine bay is a work of art. The suspension makes the Zonda look like a cheap kit car. The pearl white and black versions are stunning. The sound on the test track in France was better than the 599GTO. The top speed is ridiculous.

And I think most of you don't understand how wild this will look in real life. The roof line is 4 inches lower than my car which is low to begin with. This car makes a statement more than any other and yet still looks classy as can be and not some Batman movie reject. Ultimate luxury and ultimate N/A power.

FYI     - linked photo's

To put it in perspective for most here - the 997 roof line is 5 inches taller than that ^^

Interesting view of the int ceiling (I am not a fan of white for the interior of this car)

tough to be more "bespoke" than this

Tim:

Even though I think it's the most beautiful car money can buy right now, I just don't think that its looks quite match its price tag. For that kind of money I would expect something outrageous.  I think it's a shame that AM wasted this design on such a one-off. 

Just imagine if the regular DB9 looked like this? Would be perfect. 

I agree with you on half of that. I don't think a big price tag has to be outrageous, AM have done a gorgeous classy car. otoh I do believe that its an incredibly high pricetag for a design that is almost certain to be carried over to the DB line, it won't be exactly the same but elements will cross over.

It's an Aston - let's pretend for a minute that you (anyone) are married to the most beautiful woman on the planet, do you want her walking around dressed like Carmen Miranda or Jackie O?

As long as they don't approach the performance numbers or specs for 10 or more years (like the Carrera GT)  it should be ok. Its' size will set it apart forever, this will be a tough car for most people to get in and out of, certainly not something that would be in a mainstream product.

there was a rapide on the new episode of NCIS- LA.

I would order one in black with black lightweight sport rims, tint the windows and shadowline all the chrome window surrounds. Then I would hunt Ferrari's etc.

Actually one think you've said is stuck in my mind... "this is how a modern 928 would want to be" I think that's pretty awesome. At the time Porsche certainly pulled it off. Very modern car with GT stuff, yet still the fastest production car. If in today's interpretation a 928 would likely look very much like the one-77. Why is Porsche not making it. I can see it. Make a new halo supercar - the 918. Build a cool mid-engined 962 to slot in between the 911 GT2 and 918. Build a Panamera coupe with tech stuff from the 918 and call it 928. Make it go really fast and luxurious and take that GT sense away from the 911 Turbo without losing the sheer performance. The 911 due to layout should go back to more rawness and leave all the GT stuff for a Panamera coupe with front engine and more cabin space... just wishing here.

Aston Martin just called this one a sold-out.  I don't think the sell-out of 77 units was as easy as Aston first thought.

I'm a fan of Dr. Ulrich Bez and the GT coupe cars in general, but I guess economics is different from what I would like it to be.  

As much as I love 928, Porsche got burned big time in this sector before.  With your reasoning, new Porsche 928 is a possibility with development and parts shared with other models.  I do believe they are considering 928 but with the new platform, which is still years away.

I used to have 928 posters on my bedroom wall. indecision

kiss It made me get the baby brother - the 944 as my first car. Ya new 928 will sadly only be a Panamera Gen 2 coupe.

The 928 is still the most beautiful GT car there is, timeless, no bad angles, will handle whatever the driver puts it thru while driving in the most comfortable interior there is.

best 2a.jpg

best 3.JPG

@ Jean - Porsche made money on the 928 line, but most importantly the 928 project transformed Porsche from a little family operation into a true industrial top line car manufacturer. All thanks to Ernst Fuhrmann and Ferry.

Are you saying you will not trade your 928 to a One-77?  indecision Just joking.  

I think Dr. Bez has been making just one car all his life.  Perfecting his idea of an ideal GT car one after another, which all began with a 928.  His latest and greatest reincarnation in the form of One-77.

OMG just look at it!! The blue one is stunning. What rims are those? Look like some Techno twists twins.

Atzporsche:

OMG just look at it!! The blue one is stunning. What rims are those? Look like some Techno twists twins.

imo that looks horrible. A generation-clash. Smiley

Jean:

I think Dr. Bez has been making just one car all his life.  Perfecting his idea of an ideal GT car one after another, which all began with a 928.  His latest and greatest reincarnation in the form of One-77.

Well, he didn't have much to do with the 928, so maybe it all began for him with the Daewoo LeMans during his years in Korea. Smiley

Actually, the BMW Z1 will probably have been the first car that he really influenced.

--

fritz

Ha, I remember that one.  

90's Daewoo LeMans, what a great name, but a car that did not deserve it.  The execution was pretty bad, given the developing nation's engineering challenge.

I always thought Dr. Bez was deeply Porsche man at heart.  Didn't know that he was not involved in 928.

Jean:

Are you saying you will not trade your 928 to a One-77?  indecision Just joking.  

Are you joking because you know I wouldn't or because I would be nuts to refuse that. I wouldn't switch but thats because the 928 was the car I wanted in my prime car wanting years. Also every time I have been around Aston's they fail to match the 928, biggest occurrence was when I sat in a Vanquish for the first time. They just don't measure up especially at night when you turn on the 928 headlights, rare magic. The V12V is nice though. 

Bez did work on the 928 in the very early 90's but the 928 was created/designed from 70-77 so he was influenced by it not the other way around. But I agree with you.

ATZ- those are a fairly new design I believe and that might be the name.

Jean:

Ha, I remember that one.  

90's Daewoo LeMans, what a great name, but a car that did not deserve it.  The execution was pretty bad, given the developing nation's engineering challenge.

I always thought Dr. Bez was deeply Porsche man at heart.  Didn't know that he was not involved in 928.

In view of your location I  thought that Bez might be a hero of yours because he spent some time at Daewoo in the mid-1990's.

He was a proponent of the model which should have replaced the 928 when he was responsible for Porsche's R&D centre for a couple of years, but that development got canned and he left the company. The 928 eventually died of old age.  

--

fritz

racerx:
    Jean:

Are you joking because you know I wouldn't or because I would be nuts to refuse that. I wouldn't switch but thats because the 928 was the car I wanted in my prime car wanting years. Also every time I have been around Aston's they fail to match the 928, biggest occurrence was when I sat in a Vanquish for the first time. They just don't measure up especially at night when you turn on the 928 headlights, rare magic. The V12V is nice though. 

Bez did work on the 928 in the very early 90's but the 928 was created/designed from 70-77 so he was influenced by it not the other way around. But I agree with you.

ATZ- those are a fairly new design I believe and that might be the name.

Of course I was joking but upon hearing your response, I understand that 928 is something more than just a car to you.  It's a lifelong companion!

I did not like the Vanquish either.  It felt like I was attached at the end of a huge engine when driving one.  Instead of me driving the car, I was being dragged around by a V12.frown

fritz:

In view of your location I  thought that Bez might be a hero of yours because he spent some time at Daewoo in the mid-1990's.

Daewoo does not exist anymore.  Smiley

I think they still do - they are just called Chevrolet nowadays indecision

BjoernB:

I think they still do - they are just called Chevrolet nowadays indecision

That's right. After helping to ruin the Pontiac name in the USA in the 1980s by importing and selling Daewoos there as the Pontiac LeMans, GM is now doing the same for the Chevrolet name in Europe by selling the products of that factory here as Chevrolets.  Smiley

--

fritz

Jean:
    fritz:

Daewoo does not exist anymore.  Smiley

The car brand name no longer exists, but the production facility still does under GM ownership.

--

fritz

Not only the car brand name but the entire Daewoo conglomerate fell flat on its founder's face over a decade ago due to bankruptcy. 

Jean:

Not only the car brand name but the entire Daewoo conglomerate fell flat on its founder's face over a decade ago due to bankruptcy. 

What actually happened to Chairman Kim when they caught up with him. Did he spend some time in a boutique hotel as a guest of the Korean government?

--

fritz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Woo-jung

He fled from Korean prosecutors hiding at one of the luxury condo in the South of France for years.  I know this is true, because during the time, I think at around year 2000, I bumped into him at the Monte Carlo Golf club once.  

After the regime change, he probably cut a deal under the table with the new government and came back to Korea to face his conviction.  He spent a year in jail and has been pardoned by the former Korean President who ultimately committed a suicide when his own secret slush fund was discovered.  

Daewoo used to own Hilton Seoul and reportedly his family was staying at the Penthouse, until the hotel got sold to the new owner and when the new management requested for the unpaid bills, got kicked out.  

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776736 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441521 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262683 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260821 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85097 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5500 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880529 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815663 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM