Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Panamera - best selling car of it's class in Germany ?

November 2011 statistics - Germany:

Panamera  -  393 cars

Mercedes S class  -  366 cars

BMW 7 series  -  294 cars

Audi A8/S8  -  311 cars

Bentley Continental  -  15 cars

Mercedes CLS  -  532 cars

Jaguar XJ  -  29 cars

Keep in mind that the new generation Mercedes CLS just came out and I suppose many dealer cars appear in this statistics. If you take this into consideration, the Panamera is indeed the best selling car in it's segment.  I'm also surprised about the BMW 7 series, pretty weak, especially since BMW offers tons of attractive lease and financing offers. Most sold Panamera model is, apparently, the...Diesel.

The Panamera sold even better before November. Impressive for a car which many people thought it would not sell at all, especially not in Germany.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Re: Panamera - best selling car of it's class in Germany ?

The most sold "luxury car" in the 1st quarter 2012 in Switzerland... Porsche Panamera with 88 cars.

http://www.20min.ch/finance/news/story/25891328

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

CLS is in a different (significantly lower) price bracket to Panamera.

sfo:

I don't know...a fully optioned CLS 63 AMG is over 150 k EUR.  Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

November 2011 statistics - Germany:

Panamera  -  393 cars

Mercedes S class  -  366 cars

BMW 7 series  -  294 cars

Audi A8/S8  -  311 cars

Bentley Continental  -  15 cars

Mercedes CLS  -  532 cars

Jaguar XJ  -  29 cars

Keep in mind that the new generation Mercedes CLS just came out and I suppose many dealer cars appear in this statistics. If you take this into consideration, the Panamera is indeed the best selling car in it's segment.  I'm also surprised about the BMW 7 series, pretty weak, especially since BMW offers tons of attractive lease and financing offers. Most sold Panamera model is, apparently, the...Diesel.

The Panamera sold even better before November. Impressive for a car which many people thought it would not sell at all, especially not in Germany.

Ha there you have it! - can you remember two years ago? You didn´t want to believe  that the Panamera would be successful in Germany.

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

I have to admit I was wrong. frown  I really didn't like the exterior and I still don't like it too much but since everybody else seems to love this car, especially females yes, I kind of bit the bullet and went for it.

I still don't understand why someone would buy a Panamera Diesel but the Turbo/Turbo S and especially the bargain GTS, are very fine cars, indeed.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    sfo:

I don't know...a fully optioned CLS 63 AMG is over 150 k EUR.  Smiley

but a base CLS (£47k) is in a much lower price bracket than a base Panamera (£61k) .. at least in the UK.

True but the target customer audience should be the same... 

I actually like the new CLS a lot but I'm afraid that the too stylish exterior could be a burden in a couple of years. Look at the previous CLS, I can't really look at it anymore.

--

RC:

Look at the previous CLS, I can't really look at it anymore.

the original CLS is a thing of beauty, especially mine:

sfo:
    RC:

Look at the previous CLS, I can't really look at it anymore.

the original CLS is a thing of beauty, especially mine:

I am not a fan of CLS - the new one looks nice but only the front. The old I don´t like it. 

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

The orig CLS is a classic and for these days I would have to put the Audi S7 at the top of this pack of choices.

racerx:

The orig CLS is a classic and for these days I would have to put the Audi S7 at the top of this pack of choices.

You should see how many unsold CLS my local Mercedes dealer has sitting on his parking lot.  Smiley

It was an interesting concept and the new one looks very nice but like I said before, I'm afraid the too stylish look will be a curse in a couple of years.

--

I love the original CLS.. the design is different yet very Mercedes. I think it will age well and become a cool classic MB.

So for the figures, congrats to Porsche for pulling it off! Also, I was surprised that the A8?S8 scored so high. I remember always being way off target compared to 7er and S-class. Guessing they also increased sales of it with the newer model.

Atzporsche:

I love the original CLS.. the design is different yet very Mercedes. I think it will age well and become a cool classic MB.

RC, both ATZ and I like the original CLS, not generation 2.0 and I guess those are the versions sitting on dealer lots. The original will be thought of just like this someday and I see a lot of the design influences from the original CLS on the newest E class and others. It was really something new when it first came out.

1334949908702merc.jpg

racerx:
    Atzporsche:

RC, both ATZ and I like the original CLS, not generation 2.0 and I guess those are the versions sitting on dealer lots. The original will be thought of just like this someday and I see a lot of the design influences from the original CLS on the newest E class and others. It was really something new when it first came out.

1334949908702merc.jpg

You  have here an MB 220 SE , no one CLS will be so classy. Also both are total different classes. This one could be a MB SL but not a CLS.

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

I disagree with your point, the CLS said class to me, it's unique style at the time gave it something special and exclusive, very different but not outrageous.

11b6915.jpg

(and don't get me wrong here, we are talking MB not Porsche, none of these come close to a 928, but this a different discussion)

see how the CLS curve and agressiveness has influenced the line-up, mainly focus on the upper curve from rear trunk to front light and the side body line also.

2005 CLS

merc p.jpg

2012 E class

merc po.jpg

2005 e class

merc po1.jpg

I'm sorry but I can't look at the CLS anymore. My wife is in a similar position, she loved the CLS when it came out but she hates it now. The new CLS is even more stylish and very up-to-date, looking great but what about in five years or so? Only time will tell. The 220SE is a different story, completely different story. I'm not a fan of old-timers but I like it. One of the ugliest Mercedes is actually the 2012 E-class Coupe in my opinion. I prefer the new C-class Coupe.

The SLS also has kind of a timeless silhouette, this is a car you can look at in 20 years and say: Wow, what a beauty.

--

different strokes for different folks   --   I can't stand the SLS only Merc uglier would be the melted nose project aka mercedes mclaren.Smiley

racerx:

11b6915.jpg

That side shot is very beautiful. I am convinced this car will become some sort of yet unknown celebrated modern classic. Apart from the fact that is was a bold move my Mercedes, it is also the start of a entire new era or niche of sedans. Look how the markets responded. VW had to quickly puke out a Passat CC. Audi introduced their A7 etc.. BMW responded with the 5erGT/3erGT, although they go in a slightly different direction.

The first CLS is unique and nice looking from front to back, and seeing it on the Autobahn, it's just special IMO.

Mercedes is on route to introduce the next niche product, the shooting brake, and we will see how successful it is in following the CLS footsteps.. I suspect not as successful but time will tell.

But then again the SLS leaves me a bit cold. The rear is unfinished, the front too simple. And i think we can all agree that just slapping gull-wing doors on a modern sports-car isn't enough to make it special or unique. It was a nice hint to the 300SL, but has little in common with it. If it were the fasteset production car or something crazy like this, it would be great. However, if one needs to order the Black Series AMG to get more rarity, it devalues the base SLS a little in my opinion.

Te house behind is great smiley

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

ALDO:

Te house behind is great smiley

Smiley Smiley

--

Agreed, also noticed that kiss

I thought it was an office angry

Spyderidol:

I love this design, I don't know how it is called but there are tons of similar houses in the Miami area. My wife loves them too, they kind of look simple but modern. Actually I think this architecture style is pretty old but I'm not sure. How about our architecture experts here? Smiley

--

I don't particularly dislike the design, I would just not choose it for my home. Unfortunately I am too much of a traditionalist and a romantic. To me this design is very clean and clinical which , to me, is great for a professional environment, but I prefer a "warmer" less clinical design for a home. I can appreciate its beauty. It just  doesn't "speak" to my heart.

RC:
    Spyderidol:

I love this design, I don't know how it is called but there are tons of similar houses in the Miami area. My wife loves them too, they kind of look simple but modern. Actually I think this architecture style is pretty old but I'm not sure. How about our architecture experts here? Smiley

All the modern architecture have their roots in 2nd, 3rd, 4th decade of last century, so it's sometimes very difficult to determine exact date of particular design. Judging by the window treatment, this could very well be something from late 30' as it's corresponding well with what the Bauhaus school of art was propagating at that time along with it's director, Walter Gropius. But who knows - maybe it was concealed only 10 yrs ago... Smiley

Isn't this a typical design from the Miami area? I think from sometimes in the 1930s but I don't remember how it is called. There is a pretty famous first house in this design in Miami. No, not art-deco.  Or maybe? yes

--

Here is a copy of Art-deco from Lisbon. During the Portuguese colonial rule in Angola and Mozambique, a large number of buildings were erected especially in the capital cities of Luanda and Maputo (then called Laurenco Marques). This I like!

RC:

Isn't this a typical design from the Miami area? I think from sometimes in the 1930s but I don't remember how it is called. There is a pretty famous first house in this design in Miami. No, not art-deco.  Or maybe? yes

You are thinking of art deco in connection with Miami and particularly the Miami Beach shorefront hotels, but that office building is not art deco style. I think that style would have been called contemporary (in the UK, for instance) back in the 1960s or 70s, when it was .... um.... contemporary. 

It looks deserted and the front yard needs weeding. 

--

fritz

RC:

The famous Miami district is indeed Art deco and features a lot of vivid colors, rounded edges and ornamental details. The above building would fall under the category of Modern Architecture which had its origins in Western Europe in the 1920ies. Strongest contribution must´ve come from the Bauhaus in Weimar and Dessau. It features a very clear geometrical pattern and even a vertical symmetry which even traces down to the details such as lamps and trees. As one can see, not a single circular element appears on the entire building.

Contemporary architecture, as Fritz mentions it, refers to contemporary creations (which this building might fall under due to its date of construction) which have gone in a slightly different direction in those recent decades.

Regarding the attractiveness of the CLS, Mercedes has in recent years clearly followed seasonal trends in car design. The first CLS features a very organic appearance which can be seen both in the surface treatment as well as graphical details. The GLK or current E-class for example feature very geometrical elements which will look equally outdated in a few years. The interesting thing though is that this strategy has been replaced on the new A-class or current CLS by a very organic and graphical language which in itself can become visually tiring in the medium term. So it is just an intended course of time that these cars will look outdated to the viewer sooner or later. Fortunately, after some time has passed by, these epoch-specific references are seen in a very different (objective) perspective. 

On top of that, the first CLS was a breakthrough for Mercedes as it was the departure from the previous elderly and representative design language towards a far more emotional and athletic theme. It featured a design that could have perfectly suited a Jaguar sports limousine.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691210 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410275 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256291 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65767 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858908 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775245 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM