Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL : Porsche Boxster 981

Not sure if anyone has seen this but link has Walter Rohrl driving a Boxster 2.7 PDK without PSE on a Monte Carlo Rally stage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsXdVO1KU1g

Jonathanbr:

Well after everyones' bullying i've just asked the dealer if its still possible to add PASM, will wait and see - originally had ordered the full leather instead, now it looks like I'm blowing the whole budget thing as I'm not dropping the leather

Sadly that's what happens when speccing a Porsche - we've had three new Porsches and exceeded the budget twice - the one time we didn't  (that was the Cayman debacle) and that cost us many times more than  it would have to spec the car right in the first place. Smiley

I agree stay with the full leather - the ambience over plastic to me is well worth having, with all that lovely stitching detail.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

Thanks Dreamcar

I've just signed a third amended PO for my car now including the PASM - suggests to me I have added it on to my build, so will find out if it delays things.

I finally managed to chat with a friend with a 997 about PASM and he strongly suggested I go for it especially with the quality of the road to my home which he knows, just hope it doesn't create an un-natural experience which is why I had been holding out for so long with the standard system.

Jonathanbr:

Thanks Dreamcar

I've just signed a third amended PO for my car now including the PASM - suggests to me I have added it on to my build, so will find out if it delays things.

I finally managed to chat with a friend with a 997 about PASM and he strongly suggested I go for it especially with the quality of the road to my home which he knows, just hope it doesn't create an un-natural experience which is why I had been holding out for so long with the standard system.

Congratulations, wise decision! Smiley Let your dealer work for his profit margin! Smiley The best advice I can give is to ensure you specify everything you want that can't be retrofitted. The remaining wish list items you can always add later albeit at an enhanced cost.

You will be more than happy with PASM I'm sure, it does not create an unnatural experience. The poorly maintained UK roads, particularly the interesting twisty ones where a Boxster excels will be so much more enjoyable with the improved ride comfort. There are no drawbacks. Non PASM is fine in France or Germany where every road surface is perfect, not here.

Collecting our PASM equipped 997 last Saturday reminded us just how good it is - and how misguided we were not to order it on our last car.

--

Thanks Dreamcar

Saw the pictures of your collection in another thread and the car looks great, Aqua is a great colour  but then I'm biased

Adding the PASM which was one of the options I had discussed with SWMBO made me start wondering whether adding more and more specification to the 981S was sensible and shouldn't  I look at a nice sensible low mileage 997 for less money.

There are some cracking 997's now available at new Boxster money - even the GTS models. The downside is you'd be very very lucky to get one specced exactly as you wanted it - we'd have happily traded £700 worth of ventilated seats £300 of 6CD changer, £300 of voice control, £300 multifunction steering wheel and £150 steering wheel heating (the latter two now sacrificied by retro fitting the sport design wheel) for £900 comfort seats and £450 TPMS. But such is life. It could easily upset me looking what we paid for the Cayman S (£58k) to get it so badly wrong when I now see what 997's are going for - the one we have purchased from Swindon was under £50k with four brand new tyres, new brake pads and 2 1/2 years Porsche warranty!

But as easy_rider said in his kind post on my thread, just got to now put it behind us and move on.

As a thought to save you money on your car, you can opt for just 2 years warranty and Porsche Assist and save £900. That would nearly pay for PASM! Smiley

--

Intersting idea about the warranty although having sold SWMBO on the idea that buying a brand new built to specification car would ensure i kept it longer than usual. I'm sure tha come 2014 looking for a 2 year warranty with recovery etc from Porsche will be close to £2K!

I am getting better about keeping cars longer, maybe its an age thing. They need to be highly specified to be keepers - £26,500 Mini Cooper S daily driver is a prime example - but 4 1/2 years later I see no reason to change it, it is covered by the Mini TLC servicing package and extended warranty whch I will renew for another 3 years peace of mind for £275 in August

Jonathanbr:

Intersting idea about the warranty although having sold SWMBO on the idea that buying a brand new built to specification car would ensure i kept it longer than usual. I'm sure tha come 2014 looking for a 2 year warranty with recovery etc from Porsche will be close to £2K!

I am getting better about keeping cars longer, maybe its an age thing. They need to be highly specified to be keepers - £26,500 Mini Cooper S daily driver is a prime example - but 4 1/2 years later I see no reason to change it, it is covered by the Mini TLC servicing package and extended warranty whch I will renew for another 3 years peace of mind for £275 in August

The best way to keep a car longer is learn from our mistake, take your time, give the spec choice a great deal of thought, and then hopefully you'll get it right.

If you want to make your car really special then opt for the factory collection. There is nothing like driving your own car out of the factory gates at Stuttgart to make it feel REALLY special. That's what we did with our beloved Boxster. Even now I look wistfully at the framed photograph that Porsche presented with the both of us and the car in the handover suite.

Our 06 blue Boxster S we kept for four years - and we even now wish that we'd kept it. My wife actually cried when we left the car behind in the garage for the last time.....Smiley

--

The factory collection used to be free now it costs a fortune?

boytronic:

Here's some interesting color combos - I like the brown one! :D

http://www.autocentrum.pl/raporty-z-jazd/porsche-boxster-spojrzenie-z-olimpu/zdjecia/1/

Me too! I'm having a real dilemma choosing the colour for my new car & the spec has to be finalised this week - very difficult having not seen the cars in the flesh. I noticed that Porsche released quite a few photo's of a brown Boxster with Espresso interior & a brown hood. Does anyone know for sure what colour those brown cars are - they could be either Mahogany metallic or Cognac metallic & I don't want to order the wrong one!

What's the opinion as to resale values for a metallic brown car with full Espresso interior? I wouldn't normally even think of brown but the new Boxster seems to suit it!

Amphiprion:

What's the opinion as to resale values for a metallic brown car with full Espresso interior? I wouldn't normally even think of brown but the new Boxster seems to suit it!

I would not worry about resale value when ordering a new car. Get exactly the car that you want and enjoy it Smiley

Otherwise you risk spending your whole ownership regretting that you did not get what you wanted. No one knows which colors will be more attractive than others in the future, so no point speculating. Even so I doubt the resell value is affected. There will always be people who want a car the way you spec'ed it.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

bluelines:
    Amphiprion:

I would not worry about resale value when ordering a new car. Get exactly the car that you want and enjoy it Smiley

Otherwise you risk spending your whole ownership regretting that you did not get what you wanted. No one knows which colors will be more attractive than others in the future, so no point speculating. Even so I doubt the resell value is affected. There will always be people who want a car the way you spec'ed it.

+1 Smiley Otherwise you might as well buy used.

--

Amphiprion:

that's too much brown .. Espresso interior is lovely, and would go well with silver or, if it was me, white.

I have to agree with SFO on this one - the Expresso is lovely but I would pair it with silver or white, would also like to see it with Dark Blue Metallic but wouldn't order taht combination without first seeing it

Thanks for the positive thoughts about factory collection - unfortunately I just can't fit in the time away from work - too many other work and family commitments this summer to do the trip justice, and I was told I wouldn't be able to collect until 4 weeks later than a regular dealer collection

bluelines:
    Amphiprion:

Thanks everyone for all the advice regarding resale & colours etc. I guess that's what I wanted to hear - having not seen a car yet  I just didn't want to order something that turned out to be very unpopular. But I think you're right - you should just go for what you really like! I just need to find a good interior colour now & I'll be ready to put my spec in. It's a shame that sports exhaust is not available yet!

Amphiprion:
     I'll be ready to put my spec in. It's a shame that sports exhaust is not available yet!

...I believe it's available from June / July. If I was you, for the sake of coupla of months I'd wait. An option well worth having particular on an open top car where you get the full surround sound effect!.

Welcome to Rennteam BTW. Smiley

--

Jonathanbr:

Thanks for the positive thoughts about factory collection - unfortunately I just can't fit in the time away from work - too many other work and family commitments this summer to do the trip justice, and I was told I wouldn't be able to collect until 4 weeks later than a regular dealer collection

Did they say why it added 4 weeks to the delivery? That sounds like 6-7 weeks after being built !!

Hi Chinstts

no reason given - maybe something to do with the fact that I have the first customer build at my dealer and the collection for the 981 isn't quite in place yet? if i could have collected in the first half of May I would have gone for this option but i just couldn't fit it in once it went into June

Will these cars be built in Zuffenhausen or at the Karmann (VW) factory? Might the delay be related to that, e.g., transporting the car from where it was built to the delivery center? I doubt that would add weeks to the process however. It's probably just a matter of allocations. Many years ago (1983), when there was a long waiting list at most US dealers for the then just introduced 944, I was able to bypass the wait by opting for factory delivery. I don't know if such old history is relevant today.

dreamcar:
    Amphiprion:
     I'll be ready to put my spec in. It's a shame that sports exhaust is not available yet!

...I believe it's available from June / July. If I was you, for the sake of coupla of months I'd wait. An option well worth having particular on an open top car where you get the full surround sound effect!.

Welcome to Rennteam BTW. Smiley

Thanks Dreamcar, it looks like a great forum. I'll check out the exhaust situation but my build slot is May & I was keen not to delay & miss the summer. Not so bad if it's only a  few weeeks though!

Have you seen this?

http://youtu.be/8guRa1YrAWw

Hi ASCHAN

thanks for finding that one for us - Catchpole certainly likes the manual Boxster S - looks like the same car they had in the magazine - not sure if it looks like a £60K car with the specification though?

I can see an expensive retro fitting of PSE next spring to my car coming up!

ASCHAN:

Have you seen this?

Does anybody knows where this review was filmed? Where is this road?

--

ASCHAN:

Have you seen this?

Thanks for posting. An amazing car and a great test - one thig's for sure in this car - sports exhaust is a must have! Smiley

--

South of France out of St Tropez, some of the road is on the Col de Vence I think

So, what do you all think to the colour combo of the test car?Smiley

Jonathanbr:

South of France out of St Tropez, some of the road is on the Col de Vence I think

wink

--

ASCHAN:

So, what do you all think to the colour combo of the test car?Smiley

Guards red with black? It's OK, safe traditional Porsche colours but wouldn't be my first choice.

--

I considered Guards Red with black leather with the standard 19" Alloys - friend has a 997.1 in GR with black which looks great - what I am not sure about is the black wheels - i think it makes it look too heavy, also I couldn't bring myslef to pay another £801 to have the wheels painted black.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776836 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441572 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262702 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260846 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85124 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5520 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880567 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815723 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM