Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Mercedes A25 AMG

vw-scirocco.jpg

The backside looks very similar. Even the same street which is used by Mercedes and other manufactures for their product shots.

As a daily driver I would prefer the 4-door version. In most European parking areas the big doors of the 2-door version are a pain in the a*se.

Sorry but I can't see any similarities. yes

image-63.png.jpeg

P1040320.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

me neither.....totally different lines

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

MercedesA25_AMG_3-1.jpg

maybe I am wrong, but this looks similar to a VW Scirocco  for me. But probably every brain has another association at the moment when it recognizes somethin new.

Doesn't matter, in any case completely different than the old A-class. I like it, but I don't know maybe Mercedes lost their unique selling proposition

Atzporsche:

I've always been a Mercedes guy. Their 80s design and unbeaten reliability and tankness are brilliant. The w123 series is on my bucket list.

Despite driving yet another BMW for the time, I know i will run a Benz daily and the Porsche for fun. E500 + 911 sounds great smiley (Keeping dreaming)

Mercedes is coming back as of lately, i like where they are going. Now they announced that the next E-class will go back to the 80s robustness roots, i am more than excited for what they will show us with that! The GLK has been really tempting for me and now the new A is very cool also. C coupe is cool, new B is very hip also. Keep it up MB!

So, the next E Class will be ungainly, gothic, blunt, dumb-witted and slow like a W123 and W124? Thanks, but no thanks! I would have a sleek and sporty 5 Series or an even sleeker XF any day of the week. Smiley  

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

intouch1:

mercedes are clearly onto something that audi and bmw are somehow missing....

Like what? I cannot see it

As to the A class, what is all the fuss about? It's the Mercedes version of the premium hatchback, it's expected to try to achieve what the other brands have been doing for some years now and some buyers will prefer it to the Audi and BMW versions and vice versa. But I don't expect it to overshadow the others. Each brand has its buyers and some move between brands in a two or three way pattern.

As to the engineering at M-B, I had so bad experiences with a 2002 ML320 that I doubt the brand's perceived quality. The only other car that was so bad was an Alfa Romeo many years ago. My Smart ForTwo, another M-B vehicle, is also not the best product around in terms of reliability and build quality. I checked out the new VW Up! which is not more expensive than the Smart and I was impressed by how well built it is.

--

"Form follows function"

Itsme:

MercedesA25_AMG_3-1.jpg

maybe I am wrong, but this looks similar to a VW Scirocco  for me. But probably every brain has another association at the moment when it recognizes somethin new.

Doesn't matter, in any case completely different than the old A-class. I like it, but I don't know maybe Mercedes lost their unique selling proposition

It has more resemblance with the new Opel Astra than with the Scirocco in my opinion. Smiley

What are you expecting? The new A class is supposed to be the hatchback class in the Mercedes product line and most hatchbacks look the same in a way or another, just the front lights and back lights are slightly different. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

REALZEUS:
    Atzporsche:

I've always been a Mercedes guy. Their 80s design and unbeaten reliability and tankness are brilliant. The w123 series is on my bucket list.

Despite driving yet another BMW for the time, I know i will run a Benz daily and the Porsche for fun. E500 + 911 sounds great smiley (Keeping dreaming)

Mercedes is coming back as of lately, i like where they are going. Now they announced that the next E-class will go back to the 80s robustness roots, i am more than excited for what they will show us with that! The GLK has been really tempting for me and now the new A is very cool also. C coupe is cool, new B is very hip also. Keep it up MB!

So, the next E Class will be ungainly, gothic, blunt, dumb-witted and slow like a W123 and W124? Thanks, but no thanks! I would have a sleek and sporty 5 Series or an even sleeker XF any day of the week. Smiley  

Mind you, the current E class drives very well (but not better) compared to the BMW 5, which wasn't the case in the recent past. Ask any taxi driver!

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    REALZEUS:
    Atzporsche:

Mind you, the current E class drives very well (but not better) compared to the BMW 5, which wasn't the case in the recent past. Ask any taxi driver!

I know that. The same stands true for the current C Class compared to the 3 Series. Okay, driving-wise the Beemers are still superior, but the Mercs are respectable in their own right nowadays. That's why I like them much more than I liked them 20 years ago. Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

If MB goes AWD on their AMGs-I am in!! C63 will be my first stop :)

A class is interesting but it looks way to small.

--
    2012 Cayenne TT (on order for june 2012), 997.1 Targa 4s, 2009 Q5 3.2

I have more information on the new A class:

Official start is Sept. 15th in Germany, pre-orders in Germany can be made starting June 2012.

Most powerful model will be the A250 with 211 hp.

A45 AMG is due 2013 but pre-orders could start mid September or latest end of 2012.

Yes, A45 AMG, not A25 AMG. Smiley

Current power figure is 340 hp, turbo charged 4-cyl. engine and AWD is very likely. Price tag will be around 50k EUR (currently 48k EUR incl. VAT for the base car are apparently spoken for but this could change...).

Mercedes wants to make this car a success, it will be very competitive vs. the 1M and the Audi RS3.

--

"45" is again based on nothing? Like with most model designations lately? Little bit sad it's a 4-cyl engine, but it's the child of its time after all I guess?

Whatever will be on the inside in my eyes this profile is not good looking at all. Especially, the new boxy nose of recent Mercedes on the A class it simply looks ugly. It makes even the BMW 1 series look pretty.

1333032732898Mercedes-Benz-28312121036189661200x795.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

It makes even the BMW 1 series look pretty.

--

"Form follows function"

True... and that's a feat in itself! Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

ouch, that profile shot makes it look like two seperate cars glued together....

back to evoque then it seems. anyway, if it's going to be released that late the only option for me will be the evoque.

waiting for info from dealer....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

hmmm..4 cyl.
    Not my taste. I would have prefered the V6 engine.

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

reginos:

Whatever will be on the inside in my eyes this profile is not good looking at all. Especially, the new boxy nose of recent Mercedes on the A class it simply looks ugly. It makes even the BMW 1 series look pretty.

1333032732898Mercedes-Benz-28312121036189661200x795.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

Absolutely agree, reginos. In this pic the car just looks plain awful. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Conny997:

hmmm..4 cyl.
    Not my taste. I would have prefered the V6 engine.

Mercedes wants to offer the A45 AMG at a very competitive price with more options as standard than the competition. 

The engine gets a "AMG typical exhaust tone" but I'm not quite sure how they want to achieve that with a 4-cyl. engine.

--

Lars997:

The A25 is for sure the better car. I was driving the Evoque while our Range Rover Sport was on Service and I was deeply disappointed! The Mercedes Build is for sure a level higher and the the A25 seems to turn out as an amazing looking car (even so this concept shot looks better as catalog pictures above. But maybe a 2-door is the better choice look wise for such a tiny car?).

Hi Lars, are you happy with your RRS reliability? My RR Vogue has been giving the usual problems but I love the damn "boat" Smiley luxurious interior, lots of space and confortable like no other, it makes a perfect pair with my 911, and it has been much more reliable than all the others RR I had on the passed, anyway it still far away from the German reliability standards. And the Evoque, why didn´t you like it? I like the look of it, it´s diferent from any other car in the market design wise, the crocodile front and the weird rear makes it original.

As to the A25, after the first few months on the market it will be just another boring Mercedes, the kind of "Kia" / "Hyundai" rear look doesn´t help either.

J.Seven

German reliability? That sounds a bit funny to be honesty...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

German reliability? That sounds a bit funny to be honesty...

Aren't you confusing Italian with German? Smiley The worst experience in my life were my various italian cars. No Ferrari among them but maybe one of our moderators can tell you how embarrassed he felt when his brandnew Ferrari didn't start up anymore at a parking lot. I could continue...

From all my cars in the past couple of years, of which all were German, none had any serious issues.

Smiley

--

Same here. I owned in 35 years a lot of cars, german cars only .
    In that time I never had a serious problem.

My personal quality ranking:

1. BMW
    2. Porsche
    3. Mercedes

Especially my current X5M is the best example of nearly flawless quality. I am very surprised that the 555 hp bi-turbo V8 is the that perfect in this department, with  an minimal oil consumption only. There are no problems with the body quality and even with the electronics as well. The quality of the Porsches is very high too, but not entirely flawless.

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

I have now 76000km faultles km's with my first Mercedes I ever bought - basically with anycar (BMW or Audi) I had minor little things (mostly electronic gremlins), however, not a single light or hick-up on the Merc. I am impressed...

I've never been real Merc fan - but now since I tried one as a daily car it won't be my last !

From personal experience, I have found that the most reliable cars are the Japanese, however stereotypical that may sound. I have had a lot of issues with German cars. That said, I don't like to categorise product quality based on the country of origin alone.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

From personal experience, I have found that the most reliable cars are the Japanese, however stereotypical that may sound. I have had a lot of issues with German cars. That said, I don't like to categorise product quality based on the country of origin alone.

Two Fiat and four Lancia...all of them had issues and all of them had serious issues.

All my friends had Fiat Uno or Ritmo by that time, these cars were pretty popular and all of them were crap.

I really think that Ferrari and especially Lamborghini made a leap forward regarding quality but I still think they could do better. Japanese cars are good as long as you don't torture them and the quality degrades after a couple of years. So far, german luxury (sports)cars have been extremely reliable in my opinion, I know many people who actually own these cars and even some Ferrari owners agree. Smiley

--

RC:
    REALZEUS:

Two Fiat and four Lancia...all of them had issues and all of them had serious issues.

All my friends had Fiat Uno or Ritmo by that time, these cars were pretty popular and all of them were crap.

I really think that Ferrari and especially Lamborghini made a leap forward regarding quality but I still think they could do better. Japanese cars are good as long as you don't torture them and the quality degrades after a couple of years. So far, german luxury (sports)cars have been extremely reliable in my opinion, I know many people who actually own these cars and even some Ferrari owners agree. Smiley

I slightly disagree. DR is probably one of the most tortuous environments a car could ever encounter, bad roads, less than great standard of fuel, unforgiving weather, and as an added bonus unforgiving traffic with bad drivers and no laws. And over here you see 20 and 30 year old Japanese cars being driven around all day as public transport with only minor issues. I agree that under "normal" conditions European cars will remain better cars for longer periods of time, but under harsh conditions Japanese cars present way less issues. I attribute it to simpler mechanics dealing better with the conditions, modern European cars have more things that could and do go wrong. Most people here buy Japanese because its been proven time and time again that they endure the bashing better. If you go to any MB, Audi, or BMW dealership you'll see tons of cars going in every day to fix things that wouldn't go wrong in a Toyota or a Honda. Not to mention that in our market fixing a similar issue between European and Japanese would cost you more than 3 times as much. I can't give you an exact reason why, but it's just the way it is. 

Japanese cars are generally simpler in their construction and engineering, especially electronics that often go wrong in European cars.. Moreover, the materials used for the interior are more hard wearing at the expense of elegant appearance. If I wanted a workhorse, I would definitely get Japanese. I had two Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero for hard work and they were excellent. If I wanted a safe car with up to date engineering and good road manners I would buy German, recognizing the higher costs and some incidents of unreliability. Having said, that one of worst cars I owned for reliability was a Mercedes ML 320 of 2002. I would never buy Italian or French for any purpose, unless I could afford a Lamborghini

The same applies to motorcycles BTW.

--

"Form follows function"

J.Seven:

Hi Lars, are you happy with your RRS reliability? My RR Vogue has been giving the usual problems but I love the damn "boat" Smiley luxurious interior, lots of space and confortable like no other!

I love the car. No problems so far, no rattle or any other annoying noise. The soft full leather feels like in a Bentley and by far better as in my 7 (with Nappa option). So I agree - its the boat luxurious, which for sure is even a bit higher in your RR than in our RRS. By the way - I love the ride better than in the 7, much more comfortable. Just - the Bimmer is certainly a bit faster. Anyhow - the RRS never felt slow. Again - I love the car!

reginos:

Japanese cars are generally simpler in their construction and engineering, especially electronics that often go wrong in European cars.. Moreover, the materials used for the interior are more hard wearing at the expense of elegant appearance. If I wanted a workhorse, I would definitely get Japanese. I had two Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero for hard work and they were excellent. If I wanted a safe car with up to date engineering and good road manners I would buy German, recognizing the higher costs and some incidents of unreliability. Having said, that one of worst cars I owned for reliability was a Mercedes ML 320 of 2002. I would never buy Italian or French for any purpose, unless I could afford a Lamborghini

The same applies to motorcycles BTW.

Now, is a Golf more complex than a Mazda 3, or a  BMW 7 Hybrid than a Lexus LS600? I don't think so. The Japanese rely on their elaborate manufacturing techniques and excruciating attention to detail that sometimes elude Europeans. When a car runs for 200.000 miles without a breakdown, then I call it reliable. I estimate that 7 out of 10 such cars are Japanese. Smiley

PS: By the way, I would easily be an Alfa Giulietta over a 1 Series and a Fiat 500 over a VW Up. Let's not even go to supercars, it's unfair for non-Italian makers. Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

VW Golf is a strong and reliable car. We've had 2 for a long time each and they are both still running after they changed hands several times. Actually, previous versions of the Golf are some of the few older cars in their category that you still see around. No Toyota or Mazda of a comparable era are still running and definitely no Italian or French hatchbacks last so long. See how many magazines even in the UK are dedicated exclusively to ownership of older VW (not the air-cooled Beetle) and you can deduce that they last.

In many cities around the world (not in the UK) Mercedes diesel is the archetypical taxi. Most taxi drivers have had numerous generations of the medium M-B saloon (W123, W124, E class), they have covered millions of miles and are still coming back. A very big endorsement. However, my ML320 was a complete lemon. The exception that reinforces the rule Smiley

This doesn't mean that I don't respect Japanese cars as much, for what they can offer and at what cost.

I haven't tried Italian cars in recent years because we had some very bad experiences in the past with Alfa, Lancia and FIAT and I wouldn't like to risk further disappointment. Besides the fact that none of the newer models appeals to me to a great extent.

I've become a big fan of VW Group products and I don't think I need to look beyond. Even my "Italian supercar" dreams can be covered there indecision

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690388 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409692 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255933 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235179 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65637 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4654 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858355 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774612 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM