Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Goodbye Cayman, Hello Carrera

Deal done, we finally got rid of our Cayman S PDK that had caused us so much disappointment since we acquired it 18 months ago. After a year of looking for the right car we finally found a used Carrera S PDK at Porsche Centre Swindon, in that time Carrera PDK models have come down in price sufficiently to be within reach.  We were offered well over book price for the Cayman which meant a cost to change figure that we thought would be unjustifiable came within our reach - just. Having travelled the 90 miles to see and try the car two weeks ago and agreed the deal, the time in between was down to the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA) transferring our personal registration plate to the "new" car.

I must say we were very impressed with everyone we met and Porsche Centre Swindon, part of the Dick Lovett group, helpful, polite knowledgeable and enthusiastic. On our initial dealings we can thoroughly recommend them, the complete opposite to Porsche Centre Bournemouth and the soon to open Porsche Centre Portsmouth. We will never darken there doors again.

Swindon had a good selection of the new 991 there for us to drool over, including a superb white with red leather 991 S PDK, just about ideally specced for us, including PSE, TPMS etc the only slight blemish was the rear of the adaptive sports seats could really have been painted in exterior colour, the standard grey looked "unfinished" somehow. We'd have bought the car if that detail had been correct as it is a stock car...    .....we wish Smiley They did promise us a 991 loaner for the day when our car is due for it's service, however Smiley

Here's a selection of photos of the car in the showroom, ready to take away

carrera-1.jpg

carrera-2.jpgCarrera-3.jpg

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

Re: Goodbye Cayman, Hello Carrera

So the 90 mile drive home, what are our impressions compared with the Cayman? Much more muted engine note from inside, almost disappointingly so, with PSE "on" at cruising revs just a background note. Road noise seems more pronounced, though. Much happier with the sport design paddle wheel now fitted compared with the multi-function wheel which the car was originally fitted with to us neither felt or looked as good. We've traded the questionable advantages functionality of the fiddly knobs and the heated rim for the much more sports car like paddles.

Ride comfort is like comparing chalk with cheese, PASM wonderfully smooths out irregularities in the road surface and although firm over potholes etc there is none of the shuddering and harsh jolts that the non PASM Cayman gave over even minor road roughness. Some one told us that the non PASM Cayman ride is the hardest in Porsche's lineup this side of a GT3 RS - and I can quite believe it. It was a valid comparison as both cars have the standard seat, (we would much have preferred the comfort seat but for some reason these seem to be much more common in the 997 Cabrio) Smiley

Performance is a lot more effortless,  squeeze on the loud pedal sends the car surging forward much more eagerly even than the quick Cayman. PDK, obviously very similar although we didn't notice the abrupt shunt when approaching a stop then suddenly accelerating into a gap in the traffic we used to get whilst the electronics sorted out which gear to engage then slam it home. Did give it the beans once, joining a motorway above 4,000 rpm the engine becomes more vocal and the PSE really starts to sound the business. Smiley Our 70mph speed limit is almost to slow for 7th gear, need to doing around 10mph faster than that or 7th to feel right although I don't think that excuse would satisfy the Old Bill if we got pulled Smiley - although 80mph is widely treated as acceptable on motorways.

At least you can actually see the engine ( a bit) in the 997 unlike the Cayman. Mental note - it looks all too easy to drip oil onto (and into) the alternator when topping up - must remember to cover it beforehand! Smiley

We spent most of the year searching for Cayman S with PDK, full leather and PASM, but these appear to be as scarce as hens teeth. Just as well, as it happens because we think we will be a lot happier with a 997 (did I really state that)?! Smiley having had two Boxsters and the Cayman we do believe we could actually be converted to the rear engine idea! Smiley You can certainly appreciate the years of painstaking and meticulous development that's gone into these cars.

Some photos of the car at her new home...

Carrera 1.jpgCarrera 2.jpgCarrera 3.jpgCarrera 4.jpgCarrera 5.jpgCarrera 6.jpgCarrera 7.jpgCarrera 8.jpgCarrera 9.jpgCarrera 10.jpgCarrera 11.jpg

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black -  Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

She's a looker! Congrats!

I haven't really followed your history with the Cayman, could you summarize what -apart from the apparently stiff ride- bothered you so much in comparison to the Boxster?

Porker:

She's a looker! Congrats!

I haven't really followed your history with the Cayman, could you summarize what -apart from the apparently stiff ride- bothered you so much in comparison to the Boxster?

Thank you Porker Smiley

What made us sell our lovely cobalt blue 987S Boxster which was absolutely perfect we will never know. We both clearly lost our brain cells the day we made that decision. Smiley

Well it's more SWMBO suffering than myself to be honest, although even for me the ride is not particularly comfortable. What really annoyed us is that having had two Boxsters, both from the same dealer, both with PASM on 19" wheels, the second cobalt blue one had the electric comfort seats as well, which not only provide lumbar support but additionally, and crucially a seat base tilt adjustment. We trusted the salesman when he told us that the Cayman's ride on 18" wheels, without PASM would be at least as comfortable as the Boxsters. Not even close. When we went for our included driver experience day at Silverstone the expert Porsche driving consultants couldn't believe the advice we were given.

Not having either PASM, or the comfort seats was an absolute disaster. We would have been OK without one or the other - but not both, lack of PASM being the worst mistake. SWMBO now has hip and tendon pains that she never suffered with pre-Cayman; has had Cortizone injections, (painful) and acupuncture to try and relieve the pain, only with limited success.  When we went back to the dealer to complain we were initially fobbed off; when we persisted I was invited to visit the dealership to a meeting with the dealer principal; he offered as a token improvement in the cost to change, even having admitted we were given bad advice he expected us to fund the whole loss in order to put things right, i.e order another Cayman with PASM and comfort seats. In fact a year later and another 6,000 miles on the clock, the money offered by Swindon to change for the used Carrera S we now have was only £2k less.

The car itself is a superb driver's car, make no mistake, and the performance on offer is more than adequate, we found the cabin more than roomy enough for us, although taller drivers with longer legs would have struggled.

In summary an extremely expensive mistake, which has cost us dearly and more than in just monetary terms

--

1333297870019clapping_hands.gif

Good to hear that you've got that saga behind you and wish you and SWMBO many happy miles with your new car.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:

Good to hear that you've got that saga behind you and wish you and SWMBO many happy miles with your new car.  Smiley

Thank you Fritz Smiley

--

Congrats! Beautiful 911 and color! Really like Aqua kiss

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

Many congrats on a beautiful car. Great that the PASM setup in the C2S is pleaing for both you and your wife! The spec looks great!

Enjoy the new ride in good health kiss

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

Looks gorgeous DC ... your car has found a lovely new home :)

I'm glad your ordeal in the wrong Cayman has come to an end ... now, just take a deep breath and put that nightmare behind you ... time to look forward and forget any regrets ... hopefully, you will fully enjoy the car and the increased comfort from the suspension ... I hope your wife makes a full and speedy recovery ... 

Wishing you both all the very best :)

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Really glad it's all worked out for both of you ...eventually!!

Bournemouth OPC sounds like one to avoid (or was it just the one salesman).  Was he the same guy that sold you your beloved Boxster??  Either way, a well-worded letter to Reading would probably be in order!  They may be able to arrange a free first service at an OPC of your choice (i.e. probably Swindon) - Worth a try....

Justifiable complaints have always worked in my favour when I've made them..wink

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

DC, your new car looks fantastic. Enjoy it with your wife.

It has all the required extras too. You will love the ventilated seats in the coming months, as I know that South England can become hot in the summer.

--

"Form follows function"

Such a beautiful 911, many congrats DC.

997 will be one of the great 911 and this colour makes it really special. Wishing you and your wife many happy miles with it.  wink

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Many congrats, DC and here is to many happy miles for you and SWMBO Smiley  I am very happy for you that you picked tne right baby this time - and a very beautiful one, looks great in Aqua  SmileySmileySmiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Congrats DC! seems like it worked out perfect! enjoy it! wink

--

I think I hear the Jeffersons warming up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYcqToQzzGY

Thanks for the photos, beautiful car, great colour combination, enjoy!!wink

Fantastic color for the 997 - congrats !

Congrats, DC..

Very nice looking P..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Fantastic color !  You will enjoy it so much 

Thank you one and all for all your kind comments, very much appreciated.  Smiley Smiley We do hope that this car is the answer to our problems, first impressions are very positive.

As easy_rider said, we just want to put the bad Cayman experience behind us now - at least it's no longer with us reminding us of the error of our ways - and on the up side - we're now the proud owners of a 997! Smiley

--

John H:

Really glad it's all worked out for both of you ...eventually!!

Bournemouth OPC sounds like one to avoid (or was it just the one salesman).  Was he the same guy that sold you your beloved Boxster??  Either way, a well-worded letter to Reading would probably be in order!  They may be able to arrange a free first service at an OPC of your choice (i.e. probably Swindon) - Worth a try....

Justifiable complaints have always worked in my favour when I've made them..wink

Thanks John, to be honest too much water has gone under the bridge now to resurrect the matter. I just want to try and forget the whole sorry episode.

The same salesman sold us the Cayman as sold us our much loved and missed Boxster S - which is why we trusted him and makes it even more unforgiveable knowing what made the perfect car for us. He is either incompetent with hardly any product knowledge or deliberately misled us to get a sale.

The Dealer Principal showed the same uncaring arrogance. The unsaid sentiments were : "We gave you bad advice and miss sold you a car? We know we did and admit it. You've lost a ton of money? Your wife has suffered a great deal of pain and discomfort as a result? Tough. We've got your money please go away and don't bother us with your problems. We are part of the huge Inchcape Group, you mean nothing to us, even though we've sold you three cars, goodwill doesn't show on a balance sheet so it is irrelevant". Smiley

It's a great shame that Porsche doesn't vet the dealerships they appoint with greater care. The likes of Porsche Centre Bournemouth / Portsmouth (same Inchcape, sharing the same management) do the brand a great disservice. If the Cayman had been our first Porsche experience it would definitely have been our last, however good the car was in isolation.

If my whingeing here denies them one customer, or someone high up in Porsche reads this thread and investigates then I'd be more than happy.

--

Congrats DC on the great car! You will love it, except for it not being a cab?

Don't you miss the openairfeeling?

We regret buying the R8 only for that reason. Today it was sunny and we were envious seeing some people driving topless. We couldn't understand meeting cars with the top closed SmileySmiley.

--

965 3.3turbo/  993 targa / 996 cab /997S cab

Audi R8  //  Audi A5 S-line 3.0tdi Quattro/ RR 4.4i

beltar:

Congrats DC on the great car! You will love it, except for it not being a cab?

Don't you miss the openairfeeling?

We regret buying the R8 only for that reason. Today it was sunny and we were envious seeing some people driving topless. We couldn't understand meeting cars with the top closed SmileySmiley.

Hi Beltar Smiley

Yes we frequently do miss the open air. Depends on the mood. On a glorious day roof down taking in the sights, sounds and smells I would say yes, there is nothing better.  With regards to our latest change we tried the 987S PDK Boxster but we didn't think it would be a wise move with the latest Boxster just around the corner.  if money had been no object we would have spent another £12k over the price of the 997 and gone for the latest Boxster and try to replace our much loved 06 Boxster S. We'd have gone for pretty much an identical spec to that but for a change had carrara white, blue or maybe red leather and PDK. Smiley

But the 997S we eventually purchased seems an awful lot of car for the money - and hopefully a lot less initial depreciation, and of course a welcome opportunity to "have the 911 experience". Money was a more important consideration this time, 997/2 PDK Cabrios were beyond our budget and to be honest prefer the coupe to the cabrio anyway on the 911.

We hadn't planned another expensive car purchase - but the Cayman just had to go...... keeping it was like suffering a wound that wouldn't heal.

--

Why was the Cayman S such a disappointment?

DavidSF:

Why was the Cayman S such a disappointment?

Purely the firm ride, which on the UK's broken and ill maintained roads was unacceptably uncomfortable. You can read above the severe problem it caused my wife. We've taken the car on two occasions to Continental Europe where the roads are much better maintained and the ride there was fine.

Other than that ironically no complaints at all, an exceptional drivers car. Had we had PASM and comfort seats it would have been near enough perfect. Even one of those two options would have dramatically improved it for us, PASM probably being the most important as the jarring jolting ride over road irregularities would have been minimised.

--

Great looking car - as many are stating "great color". 

Enjoy it! Congratulations!!! kiss

Hi DC - not been around for a while and look what you've gone and done!

Car looks fantastic

Was lent a 991S PDK for the weekend whilst the Spyder was in for a service - blinding car, but s some reviewers have said, I found it too good - prefer the rawness of the Spyder so that's a keeper for me (well by my standards)

Wonder how the Cayman on 18's was so bad - by first 987S had 19s and no PASM and I found the ride OK - horses for courses I suppose :)

Anyway, great purchase - glad you're so happy with it - and a shame on the behaviour of Bournemouth - must admit my next purchase will be more who can get me the car quickest/who has the right spec in rather than a loyalty one...

congrats DC that's a nice looking motor. Always nice to see a 911 that's not back or some shade of grey / silver!

Enjoy

--
    05 987s.. (Now gone!!!!) Boooo!!! 76 Size 11's (Cracking MPG, limited pulling power though!!)

Many thanks Lars997, Rich C and RichJ for your kind words Smiley

Had our first real drive in the "new" car yesterday since collecting it a week ago; drove the 140 mile round trip to SWMBO's mother, along our favourite Winchester - Petersfield - Midhurst - Petworth - Billingshurst - Burgess Hill road (A272).

We are so pleased that after the angst of the Cayman and the sorrow of parting with our 06 Boxster S we have at last seem to have found a worthy successor to that much loved cobalt blue 987S. Smiley The comfort is in a different league to the Cayman as we mentioned on our first impressions, highlighted even more by the drive on familiar roads where we could make a direct comparison. Whilst ideally we would have liked the multiway adjustable comfort seats this proved that the real problem for SWMBO was the ride, and the seat angle does seem different and better than the 987 even if we can't point a finger at exactly where the difference lies. Different floor pan maybe, more fore and aft adjustment definitely and more room to rake the seat back as it hasn't got a rear bulkhead within such close proximity that the seat back fouls on the 987's. Little details but combined they do make a difference.

The performance is completely effortless, obviously greater than the Cayman, but we chose to cruise fairly relaxed, contentedly listening to the typical 911 growl, only occasionally using the power to blast past the occasional snail who had no where to go and all day to get there. PSE echoed wonderfully off the narrow walled streets of Petworth, kept in a low gear just for the aural effect. Smiley

Coming back we dropped down via the A24 to Worthing and took the quicker but not so interesting coast road along the A27 through Arundel and Chichester and joining up with the M27 for the final leg home to the New Forest.I reset the trip computer before we set off and by the time we got home it was indicating nearly 27mpg, only 1mpg behind the Cayman which was a very pleasant surprise. Topped up with fuel fortunately at long last over a week after the fuel panic our local Shell station had VPower in stock. No doubt once that has found its way into the engine to replace the 95 Octane I had no choice but to put in the engine will reset to optimum and that can only be beneficial to fuel consumption and performance.

A few things I noticed - the navigation of 09 vintage doesn't seem to have the detail that our Oct 10 Cayman had, but at a quoted £500 for the map update(crazy)!  OPC Swindon where we got the car muttered something about "having to buy a licence to download the update". I'll live without the update at that price! The voice control of the PCM is either something I haven't got the hang of yet or it's a complete waste of money (thankfully not my money)! Strangely on the Cayman the USB interface charged the iPhone, but on this 09 car it doesn't. Fault? Or was that a feature introduced on the later cars? Must talk to the dealer on that one. And to help preserve my licence when the car has it's next service I'll probably retrofit cruise control Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691096 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410197 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256244 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235423 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858844 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775142 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM