Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL : Porsche Boxster 981

Exactly! The dynamic gearbox mounts, that come with SC,  may aid cornering but I don't think the Boxster has ever had any problem in that department.

--

"Form follows function"

Jonathanbr:

Thanks Reginos

Thats were I got to as well - car has the sport button but no sports plus button, haven't changed the steering or added PASM or PDK so I think the benefit is negligible

I would agree Smiley

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue going soon  Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

Price for PSE for 981 is £1473; I don't think it will be essential (see below).

I think you will be OK without PASM on 19" wheels (which are now 40 profile instead of 35 on the 987 19" wheels). I am doing the same.

I drove a 991 C2 Cab Manual last weekend for about 150 miles .. no PASM, 19" wheels. Standard car apart from heated seats, telephone module and rear park assist.

Amazing car. 3.4 engine is very eager and willing, and more than powerful enough for UK roads.

Gearbox is much closer than usual as it's higher up. Shift quality is good, if a little detached. Shifting from 7 to 3 is not easy to get right. Apart from that, I think you will get used to it.

Pressing the SPORT button increases exhaust noise and rortiness .. I tested this many times, and yes, the exhaust note (non PSE car) becomes rortier and louder in SPORT mode. In SPORT mode, exhaust is similar in volume to 997 Gen II PSE on.

Chassis and ride was beautifully compliant. Handling was much more 'alive' than the C2S PDK with PDCC that I drove last year. You feel the car moving around much more, and for me, it is more involving, more interesting and more effort to go fast round corners. Ride on our nasty roads is really beautifully controlled. On really horribly worn sections of the M4, it jittered around a bit and felt slightly unhinged, but that's it.

Thanks SFO

I can't believe how difiicult specifing a car is before it is launched, when a lot of the information on options and their availability and pricing seems to be so hard to find.

- Where did you get the PSE option price? I just assumed it would be the same as the 991 which has it at £1772

Very pleased to hear that you came away so impressed from your manual 991 Cab drive as I guess this is as close as we can get before the 981S is available to drive. The manual 7 speed gearbox in the 991 seems to have come in for some criticism so it's encouraging that other than the 7 to 3 change which you had issues with you seemed quite happy with the change quality .

The 981 doesn't get the 7 speed but the 6 speed instead, from the previous models. According to some reviewers the older and trusted 6 speed is better than the 7 speed in terms of shift quality.

--

"Form follows function"

981 gearbox will be at the same place as 991, but reginos correctly says, it's the old 6 speed. The comments above were written for the 991 section :)

PSE option price for 981 is from PCGB Internal Dealer Briefing document ... some options for 981 are cheaper than 991, PSE is one, BOSE is another.

Thanks SFO

Interesting how some dealers share the information, others just take you straight to the configurator and what is available on that.

- I guess the fact that PSE was down as July build put me off.

I have benefited that I am getting my car earlier as the customer with my build slot wanted to wait for a different interior trim finish which is not yet available so I got his slot and he is waiting a few more months.

Jonathanbr:

Many thanks for everyone's advice

I think  my specification is now locked down, so Aqua blue, with full yachting blue leather sports seats plus, blue roof and silver grey seat belts and mat trim. Managed to add BOSE this morning but I should get the car in the second week of May so I had to stop fiddling or dreaming and you need to stop somewhere 

will post the full specification as soon as i get written confirmation back from the dealer tomorrow

Have you got a build date then? From the email I saw most April build cars have been moved to May and therefore June would seem the earliest  most people will see their cars. I know my dealer still has no confirmed build dates.

I was told that I was still down as an April build, the first customer car at my dealer - purely by luck as I got their first customer order slot when he delayed to change the interior trim having been to Geneva.

I was told on Saturday that the first UK customer cars were still down as late April build but that Boxster 2.7 has been put back to June

Will see - if my build slips beyond May I may delay to add PSE

I'm down for a June build and am seriously considering delaying to July to get the PSE. Had it on my Spyder and loved it - not sure the rest of the village did. Turned heads at 20 mph

Love the PSE on my 987.2 as well - would definitely hold back to get it again

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

Chinstts:

I'm down for a June build and am seriously considering delaying to July to get the PSE. Had it on my Spyder and loved it - not sure the rest of the village did. Turned heads at 20 mph

2 months after you get it, you will be thankfull you waited for the PSE.

--

2010 997.2 turbo cab 6 speed / 08 Cayenne GTS Manual - 08 RS 60 sold -04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

CPA4S:
    Chinstts:

Good advice - it costs not far off double factory fitted price to retrofit.......Smiley

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue going soon  Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

Well my car went Status D earlier in the week, this basically means it can't be specification cahnged on the on-line configurator link to the factory. It might still be possible to change via direct intervention - (an email to the factory requesting a change !)

Still wondering about whether to add the PASM option but concerned it's more to go wrong and will create a more unatural experience

If it was me I'd go for PASM without hesitation. I had two Boxsters with it and had no problems whatsoever. Note that all bar the base 911 Carrera (non S) are fitted with PASM so it can only be good.

As you know, my biggest regret was not specifying it on the Cayman.

--

Jonathanbr:

Well my car went Status D earlier in the week, this basically means it can't be specification cahnged on the on-line configurator link to the factory. It might still be possible to change via direct intervention - (an email to the factory requesting a change !)

Still wondering about whether to add the PASM option but concerned it's more to go wrong and will create a more unatural experience

Add PASM if you are within the time limit.

--

"Form follows function"

If the regular suspension is as stiff as the 987.2, I would definitely order PASM.

Unfortunately nobody knows how stiff the suspension is going to be, and as usual all the press drives have been in fully loaded cars with PASM / PDK / PTV etc.

I never found the 987.2 with 19" alloys too firm so maybe I am just fine with firm suspension.

Decisions, decisions, and then if i spend £971 on PASM should I also tick the sport chrono box for another £1084?

On a manual car the SC is superfluous.You get the sport button as standard anyway. Moreover, if you opt for PASM you'll get the Normal/Sport choice without the need to order SC.

--

"Form follows function"

Jonathanbr:

Decisions, decisions, and then if i spend £971 on PASM should I also tick the sport chrono box for another £1084?

Look at another way. If you don't spend £971 on PASM, which can't be retrofitted, and you find the ride too firm on our ill - maintained British roads you will then be faced like I am, with an even more expensive dilemma.....

Don't forget the road tests weren't conducted on our roads, but on  nice smooth continental ones. Even the non PASM Cayman S ride is acceptable on them!

With regards sport chrono, we tried it on a Boxster S albeit the pre DFI model, and didn't think it was worth it.

--

The only value SC brings imo is the higher PSM limits. The faster throttle map I always found annoying; I have no problem depressing the throttle pedal quickly enough when needed, and the shorter travel doesn't help throttle modulation when cornering on-limit. 

Of course, I have yet to see a comparison of these supposed higher PSM limits, to the normal PSM parameters. And with the 991-981, how they compare to the higher limits available via the standard Sport button. So the one real value of SC imo remains unquantified. 

Of course, that was the 997-987 Sport Chrono option. On the 991-981 cars, SC also adds the dynamic engine/transmission mounts. Those could have a discernible/useful/pleasant impact. Of course, the price of SC has now doubled... 

Thanks KMM, I think I'm going to leave my specification as it is without PASM or SC!

remember that the 981 chassis is 50% stiffer than 987, and that tyre profile on 19" wheels have increased to 40 from 35.

I reckon that together, these 2 changes, mean that PASM is unnecessary on 981 with 19" wheels.

I drove a 991 C2 manual convertible on 19" wheels with no PASM last weekend, the ride was excelllent, well damped and beautifully controlled.

The thing I hated about PASM on my 987 with 19" wheels was PASM automatically switching to Sport when driving hard on bumpy roads, resulting in a nasty crashy and uncontrolled ride.

After weeks of deliberation, I deleted PASM, PTV and 20" Carrera S wheels from my spec for the 'pure' experience.

sfo:

remember that the 981 chassis is 50% stiffer than 987, and that tyre profile on 19" wheels have increased to 40 from 35.

I reckon that together, these 2 changes, mean that PASM is unnecessary on 981 with 19" wheels.

I drove a 991 C2 manual convertible on 19" wheels with no PASM last weekend, the ride was excelllent, well damped and beautifully controlled.

The thing I hated about PASM on my 987 with 19" wheels was PASM automatically switching to Sport when driving hard on bumpy roads, resulting in a nasty crashy and uncontrolled ride.

After weeks of deliberation, I deleted PASM, PTV and 20" Carrera S wheels from my spec for the 'pure' experience.

Now all you need is some decent looking 19 inch wheels! :)

I'm beginning to like the 19" wheels on the Boxster S. I did not care for them initially, but they're growing on me.

Jonathanbr:

Thanks KMM, I think I'm going to leave my specification as it is without PASM or SC!

The new Boxster is a fabulous car - I'm sure you will be delighted with it - now comes the worse bit - the wait!

--

The latest issue of Top Gear magazine has a review of the S with standard 19" wheels. Looks good in red with the 19's to my eyes but then I' m biased 

dreamcar:
    CPA4S:
    Chinstts:

Good advice - it costs not far off double factory fitted price to retrofit.......Smiley

Is this the PSE or stock exhaust? It sounds incredible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suS2JIOWfsI&feature=relmfu

Here's some interesting color combos - I like the brown one! :D

http://www.autocentrum.pl/raporty-z-jazd/porsche-boxster-spojrzenie-z-olimpu/zdjecia/1/

Well after everyones' bullying i've just asked the dealer if its still possible to add PASM, will wait and see - originally had ordered the full leather instead, now it looks like I'm blowing the whole budget thing as I'm not dropping the leather

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM