Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2012 Australian F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne

I can't help the feeling that Ferrari may be playting possum, no top team has been so outspoken in the last seasons on how they are not ready, that they are dissapointed, etc, etc. its like if they are exagerating things to decrease the  expectations laid on them and decrease the pressure they have this year to perform and actually have a car that can battle for the championship. If we believe them to the word then they won't even be fightiong for the podium this weekend, but it may not be that certain, there may be 50-50 chance they may give a big surprise.

--

I agree that Ferrari is downplaying expectations ... but IMvHO they are not bluffing.

The BBC's F1 technical analyst, Gary Anderson, was commenting on the corner exit speeds of the Ferrari and he said that the car simply cannot get on the throttle early due to lack of rear downforce and grip.

I don't think LCdM is the kind of guy who bluffs. He is disappointed but will only lash out at his team once the result is confirmed in Melbourne.

You can bet that Pat Fry and his team etc are working 24/7 to improve the car. They will have studied RBR's B-spec rear design as carefully as they can to try to copy it.

From what I understand, Ferrari can put in a quick lap here and there but they have inconsistent long run performance, reliability is an issue, tyre degradation is too high etc. Ferrari IMO is playing catch up ... like McLaren were at this stage last year.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Other observers were saying that the Ferrari is a handful to drive ... Alonso has been frank about this because he doesn't want unrealistic expectations of what he will be able to do with that car.

Pat Fry was saying that they cannot predict how the car will behave in corners. That is not a vote of confidence in the car's aerodynamics.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Horner doesn't envisage Hamilton replacing Webber. Interesting mindgames being played here.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/7595061/Red-Bull-Boss-Rules-Out-Hamilton-Swoop

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Argentina wants to showcase itself on the global stage by hosting 3 races from 2013-2015

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98025

Interesting analysis from the BBC's Gary Anderson on technical aspects of this year's cars

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17350638

--

997.1 C2S

BBC's Andrew Benson's blog on where the teams are and what controversies regarding technical aspects might arise

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2012/03/new_f1_season_could_prove_unpr.html

--

997.1 C2S

Practice 1 starts in less than 90 minutes ... can't wait.

Brazil feels like such a looooooong time ago.

Thank goodness F1 is back :)

--

997.1 C2S

Practice Session 1 & 2 - Live Streams

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/113369/1/watch-f1-australian-grand-prix---practice-1.html

New camera angles are phenomenal. Helmet-cam and beneath nose looking back. 

You guys are lucky that the time difference for you was so huge that you could watch it during the evening :)

I was fast asleep at 0100 GMT and 0500 GMT when Practice 1 and 2 were on live ... I wish Australia could be a night race like Singapore ...

Practice 1 and 2 lap times

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/9705370.stm

Summaries from Andrew Benson and James Allen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17395221

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/03/schumacher-rolls-back-the-years-on-frustrating-first-day-i-feel-it/

Looks like other teams will copy Mercedes' rear wing 'F-duct' design ... so far the first clever technical innovation to surface and surprise the other teams ...

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7600435/Horner-Rivals-must-reaction-to-Merc-wing

How is it safe for HRT to be allowed to compete? Their car has missed 12 days of testing and has only had a very limited shakedown as part of a filming day. It is unreliable and has suffered repeated breakdowns. Of all the teams, this team needed to make the most of Practice 1 and 2. Unfortunately, the weather killed off that possibility today.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7600411/HRT-We-knew-what-we-were-in-for

HRt is so slow that hopefully they will fall outside the 107% rule. If I were Vettel approaching one of the HRT cars at nearly 200mph, I would be extra careful. The closing speed must be ridiculous, even dangerous.

If they are allowed into the race, getting lapped 10-15 times is a waste of everyone's time.

I've heard some nonsense before but this remark from Petrov really takes the biscuit.

Petrov says that if he is a 'pay driver' then so too is Alonso. He sounds like a clown. Petrov has some moderate talent but no one is under any illusion that he replaced Trulli because of the funding that he brought with him to a cash-hungry Caterham team. Talent alone would not have been enough for Petrov to replace Trulli.

By contrast, Alonso would be hired by a leading team on talent alone. The fact that his nationality also attracts major Spanish sponsors to get behind the team he drives for is an extra bonus. It is a testament to the fact that Alonso is a double World Champion and a national sporting hero in Spain.

Every time Petrov opens his mouth, it becomes harder and harder to take this man seriously.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7598864/Petrov-Alonso-is-also-a-paying-driver

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Thanks Easy!

--

There is no try. Just do.

Petrov looks desperate in tryiung to convince the world he is not a mediocre driver and that he belongs in F1, unfortunately for him people aren't stupid and just makes him look worse.

Interesting lap times, RBR are definately playing wolf in sheeps clothing with the fuel loads, they did the same last year.

I get a feeling still that Ferrari may not be as bad as they made everybody think. We will see race day, if there is a big difference between Alonso and Massa's performance we will know the car is a handful and not ready, but if Massa doesn't do too bad it will mean the car is good. I think this will be the best indicator.

Looks like Mercedes may indeed have a good car tghis season and if Ferrari does as well, then we will have ourselves a true driver's championship, instead of a constructor's championship we have had the last 3 seasons.

--

Very good observation Carlos. I too will be looking for the comparisons between Alonso and Massa and between other team mates as well.

--

997.1 C2S

I can't wait to the start of the race in order to see real figures . Everything before can be manipulated.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I am about to watch Practice 2 on Sky. Have not read the above :) Very stoked to see the cars run in the wild.

What a pleasure to watch the practice this morning! Great to have the season back.

--

"I don't mean to brag, but I am really good at self-deprecation."

McLaren front row.

I hope for a Schumacher podium finish, from 4th.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98098

--

"Form follows function"

Boy was I wrong, Ferrari is actually worse than expected, you'd have to go back 3 years to see a dry race were Ferrai didn't even make it to Q3. BTW, Alonso was a whole second faster than Massa in Q1 and Q2, that Ferrari must really suck. A pity to see the best driver out of contention again due to the car's shortcomings.

Good to see the RBR not dominating the Qualifying leaving little for show, but seems its only to have been substituted by McLaren and their F-Duct...

--

I was impressed by the Swiss Grosjean  ( he is registered as a french , but is actually more Swiss ) 

Big deception by the Ferraris.

It is great to see that Red Bull is not dominating yet .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Ferrari are a laughing stock! It's very painful for all tifosi. 

PS: The F-duct is on the Mercedes, not the McLaren.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

PS: The F-duct is on the Mercedes, not the McLaren.

right, my mistake I sometimes get the two mixed up when I don't pay much attention.

--

REALZEUS:

Ferrari are a laughing stock! It's very painful for all tifosi. 

I think Ferrari should do something a.s.a.p. because without them challenging for the titles, F1 is missing a lot.

Also Alonso, one of the most authentic talents of recent times, cannot just be in the also-ran category.

--

"Form follows function"

Yes i was quite surprised how much speed the Ferrari lacked! This makes them contend for 4th in the constructors... oh boy!

Very nice Q i think. Lovely drive from the Lotus and very refreshing.

Good that the beautiful McLarens are in front row to ease our eyes into the season haha.

Very interesting starting line. Was hard to imagine that Vettel wasn't going to make pol position. Can't wait to wake up tomorrow at 6.55 am to watch it.

--

997 GT3,Cayenne S, Cooper S & VW Cross Polo

Ferrari has been struggling to find the pace the last 4 years. They have had cars that do not dominate in any performance metric. Alonso is beginning to tire of the lack of performance.

Those who thought Schumi was over the hill may just be eating their words this season.

Red Bull said at the end of last season, given the car changes they would have trouble developing the dominate platform they had. Its a fresh sheet of paper design versus the evolutionary design they have campaigned the last 2-3 years.

Sorry to see the problems with Ferrari, but nice to see Mercedes being competitive and wonderful to see Lotus back in the game. It was fun to see Grosjean so lit up to qualify third.

Don't count RBR out. This could be a good race for Webber and it's a chance for Vettel to see if he can come from behind to win, a quality that, to me, defines greatness. It's one thing to win because you have the fastest car and can get out in front. It's something else entirely to overcome the car's weaknesses and win on outright driving talent.

and, yes, it would be nice to see Schumacher back on the podium again.

Looks like a great start to the season. 

--

"I don't mean to brag, but I am really good at self-deprecation."

Ferrari has got a really bad car this season, i mean if they race with the F12 it would be better and faster !

Carrageous +1 on everything

sadly Schumi is out again early... boy oh boy mail

Pretty good race - congrats to JB! He once again showed how talented he really is. A superb race from him in all stage of the GP. Lewis was so disappointed you could tell... going to be another shitty season for him if things continue..

Great to see McLaren so strong and proving to be the main guys to fight RBR. - Congrats to Vettel coming from 6th is a good start IMO.

Looks like just behind Mercedes did very well over Q but once again crapped out in the race. They had great pace but it seems that the car lacks reliability again. Otherwise much more would have been possible from them. I suspect Mercedes will fight for 3rd, perhaps challenge for podium this season if they keep up their upward trend. Schumi certainly stepped up his pace with regards to Nico.

Ferrari. Well what can you say, pretty disappointing for them i suspect. Alonso did a pretty good race with what he had but it just wasn't enough. Consider how strong Lotus and Williams appear to be in this race. I mean the Sauber Ferrari is ahead them right now... says it all. Lucky 5th for them in the end, otherwise 6th & RET not exactly good.

Lotus and Williams! Great pace from both being up there in the points pack challenging but very poor finish. I really hope they work on that and keep their heads cool. GRO had an epic Q but was too excited in the race and can only blame himself for that incident... he should have left space. Same could be said for Maldonado. What great pace from Williams.. they were up to par with Ferrari in this race. Him losing 6th was a pretty bitty pill for them. As for Lotus, well apart from Kimi screwing up his Q yesterday he showed how fast he and Lotus really is. 7th is a huge success for both. With Romain Lotus can really do some harm this season and collect points while fighting Ferrari + Williams!!

BEST PASSING MOVE: Vettel in lap 2 passing Nico (MER) on the outside Smiley

From this race it appears the teams have lined up in packs as follows:

McLaren/ RBR

Mercedes/ Ferrari?

Ferrari/ Williams/ Lotus

Sauber/ SRT/ Force India/ Marussia?

Marussia/ HRT/ Caterham

On to the next race wink

Atzporsche

From this race it appears the teams have lined up in packs as follows:

McLaren/ RBR

Mercedes/ Ferrari?

Ferrari/ Williams/ Lotus

Sauber/ SRT/ Force India/ Marussia?

Marussia/ HRT/ Caterham

On to the next race wink

You meant,,

Alonso / Mercedes Smiley..

Massa's days are numbered with too many mistakes and simply not quick enough. People go on about differences in pace between Vett and Webb but its nothing compared to Alonso and Massa..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM