Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 981 - impressions and infos from Geneva

dreamcar:

You would be spot on with regards to the Cayman, which I have not tried to hide the fact we are not too happy with it (the ride is way too hard without PASM for SWMBO - especially on the UK's broken roads) and I'd love a 997.

997? I thought you were a mid-engined man!

It's true that the ride of the 987 Boxster/Cayman without PASM is acceptable only on 17" wheels.

@PJ - son in law is off in April for a seven month deployment to Afghanistan (not good - a lot of worry for the family again) and mid deployment will get a couple of weeks R&R leave,  which he won't know for until much nearer the time. Will let you know soonest. Smiley Smiley

I'm sure he will miss Limassol a lot, but everything will be alright. Seven months will pass very quickly.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

997? I thought you were a mid-engined man!

--

You know the saying - if you can't beat 'em join 'em Smiley Maybe. Just spoken to the dealer and will await the cost to change figure, but I suspect it will be nore than we can justify. Smiley

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

reginos:

@PJ - son in law is off in April for a seven month deployment to Afghanistan I'm sure he will miss Limassol a lot, but everything will be alright. Seven months will pass very quickly.

They were redeployed to Germany two years ago, they (and us) miss the Cyprus climate, particularly in winter! Smiley

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

dreamcar:
    reginos:

@PJ - son in law is off in April for a seven month deployment to Afghanistan I'm sure he will miss Limassol a lot, but everything will be alright. Seven months will pass very quickly.

They were redeployed to Germany two years ago, they (and us) miss the Cyprus climate, particularly in winter! Smiley

You'd be disappointed this year. Raining almost daily as from the beginning of December until today!! Unusually cold too. Two meters of snow at Troodos. Good for the water reserves though.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

You'd be disappointed this year. Raining almost daily as from the beginning of December until today!! Unusually cold too. Two meters of snow at Troodos. Good for the water reserves though.

Can you export some to us please? Believe it or not we are in a drought area here - no hosepipe use from 5th April until further notice to water gardens or wash cars!! Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    reginos:

Can you export some to us please? Believe it or not we are in a drought area here - no hosepipe use from 5th April until further notice to water gardens or wash cars!! Smiley

Strange climate change Smiley  All the water dams have overflown and desalination plants are working at the necessary minimum to avoid damage to machinery. Maybe it won't happen again for another 100 years!

--

"Form follows function"

Porsche-Jeck:

@ sfo: the german pricelist does not suggest that the oil temp / oil pressure function would only come with the PCM Smiley You could be right with the PDC.

It would be great to get oil temp and oil pressure on a 981 without PCM .. always wanted this on my 987.

fingers crossed.

Porsche-Jeck:

As for the 997: I second what Ferdie said Smiley Go for it Smiley  I' still love the design of the 997. 

Sorry I'm going off your topic PJ but I thought I'd let you and Ferdie know....Well have spent most of the day when I should have been working Smiley talking to the Porsche Centre who have this 997 - thankfully not Bournemouth or any other Inchcape group dealer, or a Porsche owned dealership - and amazingly we think we might have the makings of a deal - they have a surplus of 997 stock and a waiting list of people looking for Cayman S with PDK so they've quoted me an amazing price to change figure. Going up to look on Friday afternoon. Car has done 20,000 miles, has four brand new tyres, new brake pads and 2 years warranty.Spec is :-

Aqua blue metallic with black full leather

• 19 inch Carrera S II wheel
    • 7-speed double clutch transmission (Porsche Doppelkupplung - PDK)
    • BOSE Surround Sound System
    • CDC-4 six disc CD/DVD autochanger
    • Dynamic cornering lights
    • Extended navigation module for PCM 3.0
    • Floor mats
    • Heated seats
    • Heated steering wheel
    • ParkAssist (parking aid rear)
    • Rear wiper
    • Seat ventilation (only i.c.w heated seats)
    • Sport Chrono Package Plus
    • Standard seat
    • Telephone module
    • Three-spoke multifunction steering wheel in smooth leather for PDK
    • Universal audio interface
    • Voice control
    • Wheel centre set
    • Windscreen with grey top tint
    • Sports exhaust system

Just a shame it hasn't got TPMS or the sport design paddle wheel.

I'll post news after we've looked at the car. Even more amazingly SWMBO approves of the move! Smiley

--

Great :) You can retrofit the paddle steering wheel ... can TPMS be retrofitted as as Tequipment item?

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

TPMS cannot be retrofitted.

The paddle wheel is costly (but a very easy swap), so it's better if it's negotiated from the beginning.

--

"Form follows function"

Still giving the whole thing a great deal of thought as it's significant money we hadn't planned on spending, but SWMBO gets no pleasure, only discomfort, from the Cayman (not that it's her fault, the blame lies squarely with OPC Bournemouth) the car gets very little use as a result so we've got to do something....Smiley The phrase "rock and a hard place" comes to mind. The only other option is to sell the Cayman and end the sports car saga once and for all. Smiley

@easy / reginos, yes the paddle wheel can be retrofitted I believe it's around £800, don't particularly like the look or feel of the multifunction wheel but if we do the deal would live with it and see how we got on. TPMS - would just have to manage without whilst it's very reassuring to have when buying used there is always a compromise. Been looking for some time on the used car web this is the first car that really appeals and not just because of the colour!

Decision time Friday afternoon....Smiley

--

How about new suspension for the Cayman?  It would take some research to find a more comfort orientated solution but it might well be out there somewhere

--

Gen II Cayman S

DC,

Go for it, i am sure it will be a keeperkiss

Woolfe:

DC,

Go for it, i am sure it will be a keeperkiss

I thought that about the Cayman!!!!! Our big big mistake was selling the Cobalt Boxster S - that was perfect. Smiley But it has been said that every enthusiastic driver should own a 911 at some point - but the difference in handling qualities may take me a bit of getting used to after the mid engine nimbleness of the 987's - and especially the Cayman, truth be known.

--

GR:

How about new suspension for the Cayman?  It would take some research to find a more comfort orientated solution but it might well be out there somewhere

Looked into that, the problem being any non-Porsche bits invalidates the warranty. I'm afraid being the cautious type I like to keep a Porsche all Porsche. Smiley

--

GR:

Usually (rather always)  after market systems are even stiffer and lower. I've never seen a comfort oriented after market suspension solution, for any car.

--

"Form follows function"

dreamcar:
    I thought that about the Cayman!!!!! Our big big mistake was selling the Cobalt Boxster S - that was perfect. Smiley But it has been said that every enthusiastic driver should own a 911 at some point - but the difference in handling qualities may take me a bit of getting used to after the mid engine nimbleness of the 987's - and especially the Cayman, truth be known.

@dreamcar - sounds like you are where we were 18 months ago, except we never did buy the new Cayman I assumed we were heading for.... for less than well-optioned Cayman money, we ended up with a 14 month-old 997.2 (C2S), specced almost identically to the one you are looking at.  As my SWMBO is also the principal driver at least for around-town use, she had the final decision... and the 911 won the day.  Now I cannot pry her out of the car (until winter snow hits), even more so after I retrofitted the paddle steering wheel.... Smiley    Her main decision point was the power and traction, of the 911, but we also noted a hard-to-define solidity, a sense of the car being indestructible, in the 911 but less so in the Cayman.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

I went from a 2001 Boxster S to a 2007 Carrera 4S and frankly I miss the mid engined handling and responsiveness in cornering.  The Carrera is decidedly heavier and altogether different handling dynamic. My next car will definitely be a 981 Boxster S or Cayman S..........and will net a $40 K savings !

Deal done!

Went for a 20 mile drive over various roads and specifically drove down those with the all too typical rutted surfaces. The ride comfort is vastly superior, the way the pot holes and irregularities are smoothed out is better than I had expected with none of the jarring thump we've suffered in the Cayman. Not sure about the multi function wheel, definitely prefer the feel and styling of the sport design "paddle" wheel - but as it's £700 + fitting to change I'll live with the existing wheel for a bit and see how we get on. Definitely feel the greater torque of the 3.8 litre engine, it's also much quieter than the Cayman, almost disappointingly so, with the background baritone sound of the sports exhaust system.

Collect the car in a couple of weeks as our personal registration has to be transferred from the Cayman to the Carrera. 

More impressions and photographs after we get the car,I won't clutter up poor PJ's Boxster Geneva thread any more! Smiley

--

Awesome! kiss

Congrats DC; as you noted perhaps we are all fated to own a 911 at least once...  wink  Enjoy in good health and  hopefully about now some gorgeous spring weather.  

(and to avoid extending this off-topic mini-thread that was intended to be 981-based, you could post your impressions in a new thread.... with pics... hint... Smiley )

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

dreamcar:
    ,I won't clutter up poor PJ's Boxster Geneva thread any more! Smiley

I herewith grant you official approval to further "clutter up" this thread Smiley Awesome news, DC - many many congrats Smiley Actually I was thinking of you when sitting in the Porsche Zentrum this afternoon speccing an aquablue (!) 981 S SmileySmiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Well done DC, enjoy in good health etc etc!!

Looking forward to driving report and photos!

That's brilliant news DC ... so happy to hear you went for it!

Can't wait to see the photos and read your impressions ...

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

dreamcar:

Deal done!

Went for a 20 mile drive over various roads and specifically drove down those with the all too typical rutted surfaces. The ride comfort is vastly superior, the way the pot holes and irregularities are smoothed out is better than I had expected with none of the jarring thump we've suffered in the Cayman. Not sure about the multi function wheel, definitely prefer the feel and styling of the sport design "paddle" wheel - but as it's £700 + fitting to change I'll live with the existing wheel for a bit and see how we get on. Definitely feel the greater torque of the 3.8 litre engine, it's also much quieter than the Cayman, almost disappointingly so, with the background baritone sound of the sports exhaust system.

Collect the car in a couple of weeks as our personal registration has to be transferred from the Cayman to the Carrera. 

More impressions and photographs after we get the car,I won't clutter up poor PJ's Boxster Geneva thread any more! Smiley

Congratulations kiss After a period just invest a bit more for the Sport Steering wheel. Unless, you eventually find the convenience of the multifunction wheel is more crucial.

You will find that the 997 is more than a sportscar. Very versatile car in daily life much more so than the mid-engined cars, in spite of the 987 sublime handling. When you go from a Boxster/Cayman  to the 911 the handling feels little odd at first but once you adjust the 911 is more enjoyable and comfortable at the same time. And anyway on the 997.2 the rear-engine handling threshold is quite high.

--

"Form follows function"

Porsche-Jeck:

Actually I was thinking of you when sitting in the Porsche Zentrum this afternoon speccing an aquablue (!) 981 S SmileySmiley

Smiley Great choice, the 981 looks awesome !

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Porsche-Jeck:

I herewith grant you official approval to further "clutter up" this thread Smiley Awesome news, DC - many many congrats Smiley Actually I was thinking of you when sitting in the Porsche Zentrum this afternoon speccing an aquablue (!) 981 S SmileySmiley

Thank  you PJ! Smiley Have you signed on the dotted line for a new 981? Would look stunning in aqua - strangely I was thinking of you yesterday in OPC Swindon, I'm not normally a fan of Porsche's greys, but they had new 991 there in Agate grey and it's very close shade to your Boxey's seal grey - looked cracking! Smiley But aqua is a real Boxster colour it would look wonderful.

I wonder how many of our neighbours will actually notice we've been daft enough to throw even more money at expensive cars, same colour, same registration plate and unless you've an interest in cars from every angle apart from the rear Cayman and Carrera are pretty close at first glance.

Oh, been thinking and made an executive decision to go for the sport design paddle wheel, ordered this morning! I was trying to convince myself that I could live with the MF wheel, but as the steering wheel is the most tactile part of the car decided to go for it. Look at the mess being economical got me with that darned Cayman Smiley

--

dreamcar:

Oh, been thinking and made an executive decision to go for the sport design paddle wheel, ordered this morning!

The icing on the cake Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Nice report PJ and happy that you enjoyed Geneva. Sorry that we couldn't meet at evening. Maybe another time.wink

--

997 GT3,Cayenne S, Cooper S & VW Cross Polo

dreamcar

Thank  you PJ! Smiley Have you signed on the dotted line for a new 981? Would look stunning in aqua - strangely I was thinking of you yesterday in OPC Swindon, I'm not normally a fan of Porsche's greys, but they had new 991 there in Agate grey and it's very close shade to your Boxey's seal grey - looked cracking! Smiley But aqua is a real Boxster colour it would look wonderful.

Not yet signed, but the PZ kindly offered to reserve a June or July production Smiley  I'm sure we'll sign next week unless we would be disappointed by the new PDK - will get a 991 S PDK demo car for a day to check it out.  And yes, the Agate grey looks great, but after six years with Seal grey and three years with Arctic silver (GT3)  my better half insists on something different Smiley Aqua blue, Carrara white and Anthrazitbraun are short listed clolours -  choice is changing hourly Smiley Will keep you posted and will open a separate thread on the colour thingy Smiley Good decision with the steering wheel - not only more efficient with the PDK but also nicer looking Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM