Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I need help for a new car !

Hi guys,

I need your help as I want/need to change cars but I don't know what to do...

Here's some background.
    I work 50kms from home (100kms per day), of which 35 kms are highways (30 minutes) and 15 kms are the center of Geneva (30 minutes as well).

At the moment I have 2 cars, an Abarth 500 (2010) and a 997 CS (2007).
    I use the Abarth from November to March almost every day, and then I share the week between the Abarth and the 997.

Obviously, the Abarth is painful on the highway, it's too noisy, and it's really uncomfortable in the city.
    Moreover, I have to go to the gas station every 3 days to fill it up.
    On the other hand, I don't want to drive the 997 30.000kms per year, it's far too much and I'm scared about the resale value (it is not leased).

So... I thought about options, and one of them is selling the 2 cars and buying only one that can do it all (for ~80-90k€).

The requirements are
    1. Powerfull and fun
    2. Can drive all year long (including snow)
    3. Can go to the supermarket (boot big enough)
    4. 4 seaters
    5. Not too big

Then I thought maybe I can go to work with the bus (painful) during the few occasions when it snows...

So far, the selection is :-)

1. New Audi RS4 (new): addresses all 5 requirements (not sure about the fun one though), and I could lease it as it would be new (no resale value issue)
    2. Maserati Gran Turismo S (used): the sound only would make it fun, the only problem here is the snow, and the resale value (no interesting leasing on used cars)
    3. 997 Mk2 Carrera 4S (used): addresses all 5 requirements (almost...), but as for the Maserati, there's no interesting leasing on used cars

Any comments ?

Thx !
    Olivier

Re: I need help for a new car !

Audi RS3 ? yes

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Looks too much like a teenager tuning car to my taste (same goes for the TTRS).

I'd like a car which looks classy/refined, I'm pretty sure an RS4 can fit the profile if it's not red like in Geneva...

Golf R (AWD standard) with DSG,  excellent all rounder at reasonable price.

And keep the Porsche for fun.

--

"Form follows function"

RS4 you will be at station filling up every 2 days. Just drive your 911...

--
    Off enjoying my car...

TEE:

RS4 you will be at station filling up every 2 days. Just drive your 911...

I personally hope that the new one uses less fuel. Wishful thinking probably...

How about an economical car for everyday and the 997 for the fun part? 3-series or X3 with 6-cylinder diesel and AWD. Same offers from Audi (A4/Q5) or Mercedes (C-/GLK-class). 

what about a diesel then ? I turned to the dark side of petrol cars last year as a DD and I am really pleased with comfort, punch and consumption of the car (330d)...

Thx guys for all your comments !

There is something that I need maybe to explain better... the price :)

Right now, the total is 25k€ + 65k€ = 90k€.

I can sell the Abarth and replace it, but not by an expensive car, as its residual value is around 15k€ I think... I can't keep the 997 and buy a 40k€ car. That's why I thought about selling both and buy only one at 80-90k€.

I thought about diesel as well, but it means I still need 2 cars, and I don't want a crappy diesel (that's all I can have for 15-20k€ I guess).

So really... one car, that does it all, would be perfect ! I just need to figure out which one indecision

Cayenne ? Panamera ? 997 Carrera 4S (there are some nice offers around 80-90k EUR in Germany) ?

Do you have family (kids) ? If not, the Carrera 4S would be perfect.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I don't have kids, I don't want a Cayenne (no big 4*4), I thought about the Panamera but it's too big.

I'd love a C4S indeed ! I'm a bit worried about the resale value if I buy one with let's say 20.000kms and sell it 2 years after with 80.000kms ?

Also, how good is it on snow with snow tyres ?

BangoO:

I'd love a C4S indeed ! I'm a bit worried about the resale value if I buy one with let's say 20.000kms and sell it 2 years after with 80.000kms ?

But what about your requirements for big boot and 4 seats?

--

"Form follows function"

BangoO:

I don't have kids, I don't want a Cayenne (no big 4*4), I thought about the Panamera but it's too big.

The C4S is excellent in snow but of course it doesn't have the ground clearance for really heavy snow. If you get one, you shouldn't get one with the sport chassis because the car sits slightly lower. Resale value is kind of a tricky thing but if you buy a C4S with 80-90k and 20k km now and sell if after two years with 80k km, I'd say that you won't get more than 55k EUR for it, maybe less. This is just a good guess though, you never know (right moment, right buyer, right car...).

--

reginos:
    BangoO:

But what about your requirements for big boot and 4 seats?

By big boot I meant bigger than the R8's :)

The boot of the 997, with the addition of the rear seats space, could be OK... not ideal, but it's all about compromises...

4 seats... might be required occasionally, for small trips 997 could be OK...

If we remove the snow from the equation, what do you guys think about the Gran Turismo S ?

I love the look, I love the sound, but I never drove one...

The Maserati is overpriced for what it delivers in my opinion. I'm also not quite sure about reliability. I know that used car prices are interesting but you really need to be a fan of italian cars to like it a lot. Also make sure you check on repair and/or maintenance cost, don't get one without an official dealer (used car) warranty.

--

Thx RC, that's pretty much what I thought...

I got myself a daily driver "toy", a Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP with 487 horses, performance is same as Panamera Turbo.

Car had only 300 km onboard, four months old, 76k EUR incl. VAT. I was lucky but I'm pretty sure that there are other similar deals out there, not sure about France though. Little downside: Traction isn't really a strongpoint of this car, even with the summer tires and driving quite slow, traction is an issue. I didn't have any issues with the winter tires in snow (there was only a single day with little snow though) but you have to like RWD cars to enjoy this setup. I bought this car because of the somehow unique engine and exhaust sound but I also have to admit that for this kind of money, this car has been a steal.

--

RC:
    Little downside: Traction isn't really a strongpoint of this car, even with the summer tires and driving quite slow, traction is an issue.

Sorry for digressing from BangoO's thread, but because you keep highlighting the traction issue, how can M-B sign off a performance car with such a weakness? I know that for short spells it might be fun but it can also be dangerous for non-expert drivers electronics or not.

--

"Form follows function"

Alpina B3

--

Gen II Cayman S

reginos:
    RC:
    Little downside: Traction isn't really a strongpoint of this car, even with the summer tires and driving quite slow, traction is an issue.

Sorry for digressing from BangoO's thread, but because you keep highlighting the traction issue, how can M-B sign off a performance car with such a weakness? I know that for short spells it might be fun but it can also be dangerous for non-expert drivers electronics or not.

I can tell you for sure that the C63 AMG Coupe PP is a weapon and I wouldn't recommend it for beginners. Smiley On the other hand, this is an "honest" car, you get an immediate and very direct reaction to your throttle foot, which may benefit some drivers because they know when to stop playing around. Smiley With AWD cars, this can go wrong on so many levels because you have a huge traction and then...suddenly...poof...nothing. I don't know what I like more but the C63 certainly isn't a car I would recommend for everybody. I had to adjust to it and as soon as run-in period is over, I'm pretty sure I will get my share of scary moments too. Luckily, I still have a good vibe for such cars and my Carrera GTS Cab isn't really a traction wonder either when I play it hard. Smiley Best advice with the C63 is: Never turn off ESP completely on the street. I did that once and only pressed the throttle by 1/3 or so (winter tires) and my rear slipped aprox. at least one meter to the left....at 60 kph. Smiley A concrete wall wasn't far away... Smiley Once you get used to the throttle reaction and the huge torque even at low rpm, the car is pretty predictable but like I said before, not really for beginners.

--

Thank you! Very graphic account.

--

"Form follows function"

RC, I had followed your C63 adventures :)

Obviously for that price you had to buy it ! No the ideal car for me though because of the traction issues you mentionned several times.

Alpina B3...  I just hate how it looks :) Plus we never see any here, and this means I will have a very hard time selling it after 2-3 years :(

I went to the Audi dealer a few weeks ago to look at the R8. I just love the design, but I was very disapointed by the interior... not even classy, looks old, and not sporty at all !

What about the RS6 ?

Hey Oliver, your dilemma is easily solved. Get the brand new BMW 3er with sporty package and enjoy it all year long!

The new 3er has a great engine, M Performance bits will be a blast to drive. You've got a 4dr, great interior space, and still small, plus blend in the crowd yet also still very special if specced nicely.. the choices are endless, the prices quite good and the reliability obviously up to the best... especially comparing to a used Maser. Consider it, it could look like this...

wink

This new 3series is nice, but the stripe looks silly. yes

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Its a hard dilemma.

My personal view :

i would definately sell the Abarth for the daily driving, 100kms/day is a big big pain everyday. ( i had to put down a very reasonable job offer because of the same distance from home to work ), anyway, having said this indecision, you need a diesel engine and something confortable for long distances...At least this is my personal view.

How about a second hand BMW X1, AUDI Q3 ( one of my best friend bought one pretty basic for 32.000eur, and is a very nice little SUV). Also comes to my mind a basic Range Rover Evoque, even the twoo door version. I have test driven the 150bhp/190bhp and the petrol version 240bhp and the three are great !!! 

i would not sell the 997S, except for another 997.2 or may be a new 981S ( this would be my choices, to keep the economical hit to your pocket as low possible).

Selling both and getting a Granturismo S or an R8 or even a C4S pdk is not a good idea, I cant see myself putting so many kms per year, resale value will be very fustrating.

I also see a GOLF R20 a great choice, but therefore fuel costs will be even worse than with the Abarth.

A small SUV with diesel engine would be my choice to replace the Abarth, always second hand for two reasons, price and better hit when you decide to sell it, as it will have a good number of kms done. Also a small SUV will be pretty helpful for snowing conditions !!!!

Hope it helps, although I am sure everyone will have their opinionsindecision

--

Definitely keep the 997.2 - we all need some fun in our lives..

Have you considered a Nissan Juke?  My wife has a Kuro, but here are several varieties to choose from.  They are FWD and very economical.  Plus you would have all the room you desire and they are far from boring to drive.  Try one from your local dealer, it could solve your dilemma...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

A low-mileage Audi b7 RS4 and keep the rest of your cash? I'm sure it'll be at least as good as the b8 RS4 for half the price.

Rossi:

This new 3series is nice, but the stripe looks silly. yes

indecision

We've already owned an M3, a 335i and 330D, so although the 3 series is a good idea, we want something different... a bit more "exceptional"...

Alex18_996CC:

Hope it helps, although I am sure everyone will have their opinionsindecision

It does help, thx !

What we wanted to do was selling the Abarth anyway, but either selling the 997 with it and buy a very nice car, or replace the Abarth only with something cheaper, so that we can replace the 997 later with something a bit better (a 997.2 ?).

Argh it's not easy ! indecision

Any thoughts on a used RS6 ?

John H:

Definitely keep the 997.2 - we all need some fun in our lives..

Have you considered a Nissan Juke?  My wife has a Kuro, but here are several varieties to choose from.  They are FWD and very economical.  Plus you would have all the room you desire and they are far from boring to drive.  Try one from your local dealer, it could solve your dilemma...

It's a 997.1. We don't really like small SUV, and my girlfriend hates the Juke

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690753 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409932 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256123 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235358 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858679 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM