Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL : Porsche Boxster 981

The Agate/orange interior is not available until July production so will probably be added to the catalogue at that point.

KMM:

It's interesting that they are still using the RS60 color scheme, even 4 years on. (This even looks like GT Silver to me.) It is a great color combination, although I could not live with the red top.

The base Boxster color combo is very interesting / appealing as well. I wonder how Lime Gold looks under normal lighting.

I promised myself to wait until next spring, when the car will have had a year's worth of production and debugging (and to see what the Cayman looks like). However, I'm finding that hard to do... 

The red top actually looks great in real life and the color combo gets great comments on how different and classy it looks... :)

IMG_1050.JPG

987 RS60 looks better than the 981 all day. Smiley Smiley

The RS60 is a classic. Such a pleasant car to drive. 

I like the 981 even more however. They fixed the one thing that has turned me off since the 986.2, when going to the glass rear window resulted in an overly retro-ish top that lost the fast, dynamic slope of the original. 

Check out these torque curves. Any doubt that these engines are being artificially held back? 

Boxster 981 Power Curves.jpg

For comparison purposes: what a normally aspirated engine's torque curve looks like... 

These are for the 991 motors. Compare the top one here (3.4L) to the lower one above (3.4L as well). 

Carrera 991 Power Curves.jpg

Is it confirmed it's the same 3.4 as the base 991? If it is what would it likely take to get 350hp out of the 981?

dr.j:

Is it confirmed it's the same 3.4 as the base 991? If it is what would it likely take to get 350hp out of the 981?

While it's possible that the motors are identical and only differ in their ECU, I would bet there are differences (cams, intakes, exhaust, etc.).  Looking at the part numbers would answer the question.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Looking at the low rpm part of the torque curve, I would agree with Grant, that the the camshaft and the intake manifold are likely different. Having said that, even that low rpm performance could be the result of ecu tuning, given the variable valve functionality...

rulesdontapply:
    Here we are: the English catalogue is now online and available to you thanks to a little Internet prowling on my end. Let it grace your computers and new iPads. ;)

rulesdontapply

https://my.porsche.com/microsite/ipad/assets/downloads/kataloge/en/Boxster.pdf

Thanks for that.

Still not sure about the exterior design. It seems a lot of design over function, and seems to be more soul-less than the old design, less organic. But, as always, reserve judgement until seen in the flesh...

Of more concern is if things that matter have been addressed. Eg, in the old car, when the sun was shining on the LED instruments, you couldn't read them. I wonder if this is better! Also, it looks like the door bins have become more impractical to make the door handle more fancy and designed. I don't see them being lidded compartments.

And with the new tech in this car (Dynamic gearbox mounts?) I think it would be mad to get early production cars. Wait until they've ironed some of the problems out.

A final note - I think the rear directional indicators look pretty, but I think when manufacturers put them in the middle of or close to braking lights, it means they become much less distinct and visible when someone is braking and indicating at the same time. Eg in the Passat, where the indicator is a dot inside a circle of brake light. It's nuts to me to compromise safetly for design.

Have got two invites to dealers events. May or may not go, but not so interested this time around.

wtsnet:

And with the new tech in this car (Dynamic gearbox mounts?) I think it would be mad to get early production cars. Wait until they've ironed some of the problems out.

These seem to be the same technology as the Dynamic Engine Mounts of the 911, first introduced some time ago on the 997 GT3. I wouldn't worry.

--

"Form follows function"

Speed sensitive headlight range is useful though...

reginos:
    wtsnet:

These seem to be the same technology as the Dynamic Engine Mounts of the 911, first introduced some time ago on the 997 GT3. I wouldn't worry.

OK, fair point, however that was just an example, and I still think it's sane to wait a while. It's a new production process, they are going to find and fix stuff in the inital sages. Especially anything requiring sensors and electronics makes me nervous. GT3 was much lower volume manufacturing and likely have less miles on them for much 'user testing' Smiley

Fully electric roof, remote controlled, faster, (9secs).... I'm liking the improvements a bit more....

One can clearly hear what's the proper pronunciation of Porsche.

So it's not, what would they say in USA, PorschAH, but PorschEH!

But then again - there would still be non-believers or people with hearing problems. :P

boytronic:

The red top actually looks great in real life and the color combo gets great comments on how different and classy it looks... :)

kiss

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

DRIVEN: PORSCHE BOXSTER S by CHRIS HARRIS

Hot off the Geneva show stand Chris Harris has already tried the all-new Boxster...

(9 March 2012)

Steering feel - this is a story about steering feel. How you respond to Porsche's third generation Boxster can probably be anticipated by your reaction to reading the stuff people like me excrete after trawling the adjectives bag. All of it is done in an effort to describe the sensation of holding a steering wheel in a moving vehicle. At this point I can promise that this review will not contain the word nuggety. 

New proportions finally make sense of concept

The new Boxster doesn't have much steering feel. There - I've said it. It is possibly the most complete open-top sports car ever made, and it is possibly the best car Porsche currently produces. But for these purposes I can only plunder the thesaurus to make reference to absent sensations: wriggle, squirm, fidget, chatter, patter or writhe (god I hate writhe). The Boxster does none of them.

And yes, the much debated electric power steering fitted to the 991 makes its second appearance in the new Boxster, codename 981. Like the 911, this is an all-new platform with extensive use of aluminium and high-strength steel. The shell is 87kg lighter, yet it is 40 per cent stiffer. The roof uses magnesium alloy sections and despite being physically bigger and carrying more passive safety equipment, the car is lighter than its predecessor - between 25kg and 35kg depending on model.

Familiar favourites

The 2.7-litre motor in the base car is an all-new direct injection flat-six producing 265hp and 206lb ft. Meanwhile the 3.4-litre engine in the S is a revised version of the engine from the last 987 model with slightly increased outputs - 315hp and 265lb ft. Both have variable valve lift and timing.

Brakes look puny within 20-inch wheels: aren't

I'm going to concentrate on the S, because that's the one I spent the day in. It was running the spangly, optional 20-inch wheels, fitted with optional PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) and a smattering of other options.

Does anyone not agree that this car finally delivers on the styling promise laid down by the original concept in 1993? It's not as dainty, but in stretching the wheelbase 60mm, pulling the front track out 40mm and the rear 18mm - not to mention making the car longer (32mm) and lower (13mm) with a shorter front overhang (minus 27mm) Porsche has taken the Boxster to an LA tuning shop and given it the full number. Where once the wheels hid apologetically within swollen panels, they now push confidently outwards and the whole car sits down into the road surface. To me, it's the best looking Porsche since the Carrera GT. 

Theory of relativity

It takes about 10 seconds to spot the steering. The wheel is slightly dead in the hands compared to the old car - it doesn't feel unnatural, just mute. At this point I would sympathise with anyone who went all Bannatyne and announced they were oot. But I would also plead with them to hang around and give it time. In this instance it is always wise to recall the parable of the Caterham R500 and the Porsche GT3 RS. After a drive in the Caterham, jumping into the RS will reveal it as being too heavy and completely lacking in steering weight, communication and feel. For about 10 minutes. Once your body adjusts to the change in circumstances - like eyes emerging from a dark cinema on a bright summer's day - the Porsche will soon feel quite different.

Longer wheelbase, shorter overhangs - good

Point the Boxster into a turn and it does two things completely at odds with the expectations laid-down by that initial numbness. It turns with unusual speed and efficiency, then clips the very point on the road you'd been aiming for. Repeat this process for 15 minutes and, like me, you'll be left guppy-like with admiration. This car doesn't do over- or understeer at normal road speeds. Its Pirelli P-Zeros have so much grip, the centre of mass is so well positioned and traction is so good it just carves its way through switchbacks with sparkling finesse. It's only when you're in the middle of such a sequence, placing this car as accurately as any other you can remember, that you have to ask yourself what you are missing with this newfangled electric rack. The answer is simple: wriggle, squirm, fidget, chatter, patter and writhe. Yes, I miss them too, but they fade into insignificance within the overall Boxster experience.

That searing motor makes great noise and pulls very hard from 3,000rpm all the way to 7,500rpm. There is talk of turbocharged four-cylinder motors in the future, but they just won't be able to match the sharpness of an atmospheric boxer-six. Matched with a chassis apparently impervious to understeer it gives you so much confidence to endlessly trim cornering lines. This is helped no-end by the proper manual transmission. Not a doctored PDK from the 991, but a stick-shift from the dark ages: three pedals and endless, blip-tastic joy. 

Manual labour

In fact the only blot for me is Porsche's insistence on running the brake pedal so bloody high relative to the throttle: unless the brakes are close to boiling it makes rolling from brake to throttle too difficult. The brakes themselves (330mm steels at the front) are predictably brilliant and way over-engineered for road use. No doubt they will melt at a track day, but that's both obvious and meaningless for a car of this type.

Manual box great, electric parking brake less so

Nope, running fast over the Route Napoleon and its tributary D-roads I was locked in this car's spell. With the PASM set to comfort (Sport is too firm) and the car in Sport Plus mode (sharper throttle, reduced ESP intervention), it rode coarse surfaces with real sophistication but never felt heavy or ponderous in rapid direction changes. It was grippy without being tedious and also gave great confidence. Moreover, it was pleasant going fast and slow: roof-down at a cruise the Boxster can warm your bottom and play tunes, a few seconds later it gives access to what must be one of the best road car chassis out there. As a basis for a new Cayman, it's mouth-watering stuff.

Each one goes 'kerching' when pushed

By far the worst thing about the car for me is the infernal electronic handbrake. It's completely counter-intuitive in a three-pedal machine, it will only engage with the foot-brake pressed and it seems to only exist to extract new combinations of expletives from exasperated drivers. For me, it's a much bigger problem than the electric steering, but then your average photo shoot does contain an unnatural quantity of three-point-turns, so maybe I'm being a little over-sensitive. Whoever canned the manual handbrake but issued a stay of execution for the idiotic Sport Chrono clock needs lobotomising. 

Coasting along

Even when you're carping about these few negatives, the car counters with more impressive details. The stop-start hardware is painless and alongside regenerative braking and a coast function for the motor (the moment it spots a coasting situation, it cuts to idle) and that direct injection system it makes for a very efficient 170mph car. Of course I thrashed it mercilessly all day and got it down below 20mpg, but in real life, this is a 30mpg machine. The boggo 2.7 does 180g/km, which is mind-boggling really. 

So on first acquaintance, the Boxster is better looking, a little bit quicker, more capable in the turns and offers 10mm more telescopic longitudinal adjustment of the steering column - whatever that means. In the context of the marketplace only one of these really matters: on looks alone the Boxster could plug the hole created by slow 991 sales in the UK. If people choose to buy it based on the way it drives, so long as they can get their heads around the steering, they will own another great Porsche. 

Oh, Porsche gave us a cereal bar to eat on our travels. It was nuggety. I lied. 

PORSCHE BOXSTER S 

Engine: 3,463cc flat-six
    Transmission: 6-speed manual / 7-speed dual-clutch auto (PDK), rear-wheel drive
    Power (hp): 315@6,700rpm
    Torque (lb ft): 265@4,800rpm
    0-62mph: 5.1 sec (PDK 5.0 sec, PDK + Sport Plus 4.8 sec)
    Top speed: 174mph (PDK 173mph)
    Weight (DIN): 1,320kg (PDK 1,350kg)
    MPG: 32.1 (PDK 35.3, both figures NEDC combined)
    CO2: 206g/km (PDK 188g/km)
    Price: £45,384

...thanks and all due respect and credit to Chris Harris!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Slow 991 sales in the UK  yes

--

Gen II Cayman S

Interesting review by Chris. Thanks for sharing wink

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

The Cateram parable doesn't quite work though - you can get used to anything - the GT3 RS wasn't purposely designed with compromised steering feel (albeit otherwise brilliant) for the sake of fuel consumption.  In a sportscar...  Which is what everyone appears to have accepted is the case with the 991, as good as it is, including Chris Harris.

Isnt that the difference from all the comparable and controversial "advances" such as water cooling etc - they were all advances rather than ...compromises..?

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Quick rendering of mexico blue (or close to depending on screen settings)

bmexico.jpg

Nice!. Looks more like one of my favorites, Maritime Blue.

KMM:

Nice!. Looks more like one of my favorites, Maritime Blue.

On my monitor, it looks more like Minerva BlueSmiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Just returned from Geneva Smiley I am very happy that some of the awkward appearing pics posted by amateur photographs have nothing to do with the car in the flesh - this baby looks stunning in real life Smiley  Will post pics and comments tomorrow after some sleep - my better half is completely sold on the 981....meaning that the trip to Geneva will turn out to be somewhat more expensive than anticipated Smiley But I can't complain - a wife dragging me to car shows suits me better than one visiting fashion shows and loading the home with hundreds of shoe pairs Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

P-J, glad your trip was worth it kiss Sorry we could not meet this time .

You both loved your Boxy for the past 4 or 5 years ,  this one will even be better !  Your government will also be happier to know that you came to Geneva not to stash your Euro in a bank account, but to spend it on German goods !

Hopefully this will calm down some of the Landers indecision

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Great news PJ ... looking forward to hearing more about your new addition to your Porsche stable :)

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Great news PJ! kiss I was blown away by the 981 too. Stunning car. But will probably wait for the Spyder version before I move. Hopefully they sorted out the roof this time angry

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

Gnil:

P-J, glad your trip was worth it kiss Sorry we could not meet this time .

You both loved your Boxy for the past 4 or 5 years ,  this one will even be better !  Your government will also be happier to know that you came to Geneva not to stash your Euro in a bank account, but to spend it on German goods !

Hopefully this will calm down some of the Landers indecision

No prob, Gnil - I fully understand that business comes first. I am sure we soon will meet up at the favourite playground  Smiley  We had a great time with your brother and your sister in law on Friday Smiley Government ? Is sitting next to me on the sofa Smiley Actuallly our love for the Boxey lasts already for six years....time is flying.

@ Easy:  yes, will keep you posted on the addition to the stable Smiley

@ bluelines: would have bought the Spyder in a heartbeat, if it wouldn't be "her" daily driver - kind of sad because we both fell in love with the Spyder the very first moment we saw the car in the flesh.

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

This WAS my 2005 S Cab with only 22K miles on it.  Was totaled March 2 2012 by being hit at 60mph on the driver's side.  

My heart is broken.

I am writing to corral some opinions.  I don't like the 991 a single bit.  I believe Porsche has taken a turn for the worst regarding this automotive specimen.

My question is, do most folks out there believe that the Boxster 981 still retains the soul of the purist and is therefore a good replacement for the new "911"?

In other words, if you were to replace the 2005 997, do you think that the 981 is closer in spirit  to the 997 than the 991?  By the same token the 991 is closer in spirit to the Panamera.

Do you guys think that there will be a decrease in sales of the 991 and a bump in sales of the Boxster?

Bearhunter

1985 930 Coupe, 2005 S Cabriolet

1331585211390Park-Lateral.jpg                                                    

i think that the mid engine is a mid engine and the rear engined 911 is a rear engined 911. if you love the 997 so much buy a new 2011 or 2012 left in a dealor lot - they will have to dump the last ones to get rid of them - just be patient & have the cash ready.

--

2010 997.2 turbo cab 6 speed / 08 Cayenne GTS Manual - 08 RS 60 sold -04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688672 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408745 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255544 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234804 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857609 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773443 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM