Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2012 Australian F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne

It's been a fascinating pre-season of testing at Jerez and Barcelona.

So many questions have been asked of the teams, where they stand relative to each other etc.

I'm sure I speak for many F1 fans here when I say that we are all itching to find out the answers.

IMO this could be a vintage season ... so many current and former F1 champions driving cars that are closely matched in performance ...

I can't wait for the season to begin ... the last race in Brazil feels like such a loooooong time ago!

I really think that RBR and McLaren are going to have a titanic battle at this race and for the rest of the season.

I think Ferrari is fast but has reliability problems, tyre management problems, handling problems .... I think they could have a quick car later on in the season.

I think Mercedes and Lotus are also closely matched with Ferrari. It's been good to see Raikkonen as quick as ever after a 2 season gap from F1.

Next come Toro Rosso, Force India, Sauber and Williams followed by Caterham. It's a big midfield pack.

And Marussia and HRT bring up the rear. It's hard to see how they can justify being in F1. I hope that the 107% rule is applied strictly to them.

Well, here's looking forward to a great race weekend in Melbourne.

Hope you guys enjoy the race.

PS: for guys in the UK, this race is live on TV only on Sky Sports F1 and Sky Sports F1 HD. The BBC will only be showing extended highlights on TV. Of course, radio coverage is live too on the BBC.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: 2012 Australian F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne

It's going to be amazing !1

I hope that Ferrari can figure out the car quickly so they can join RBR and McL at the front battle. I'm eager to see how the changes in regulations about aerodynamics are going to work. JB and SV imo are the top drivers, LH gets away with what he does simply because hes a little too aggressive for his own good. My heart is with Ferrari, so we'll see how it al goes. 

I cant wait !! 

I already got my tickets 2 months ago, i'm so excited for the race, IMO i think that Red bull will come on top, but my heart is saying McLaren  indecision

I've been warming up with reruns of last year's races. Watched Montreal and then Spa. Button's win in the rain, Webber's pass on Alonso through Eau Rouge, David Hobbs commenting on how that's the first time we'd seen that since the 80's. Eager to see what happens when the lights go green in Albert Park.

Easy, I wonder if the rule on no testing during the season has been a wise move as far at the new teams are concerned? Where would teams like HRT and Marussia be today if they'd been allowed, say, unlimited testing in year one and limited testing in year two? Could they have closed the gap faster?

--

"I don't mean to brag, but I am really good at self-deprecation."

yes, i think a lack of testing is plain stupid! that means that the inferior teams stay that till the end of season!

I think it's important to differentiate between a genuinely insufficient amount of testing (i.e. if a team tests for 3 tests but still hasn't managed to iron out its problems e.g. Ferrari in 2012) and a team that had the opportunity to test for 3 tests but couldn't prepare its car on time (e.g. HRT).

It wouldn't matter if there were 3 tests or 5 tests in the case of HRT. The season starts on March 18. They knew the timescale (back in mid-2011) but they just couldn't get their act together. Their car was not ready. With more tests, all that would have happened is that they would have missed 5 tests and not just 3 tests.

Would the newer teams have improved more with more testing? I'm not convinced. They have 1st, 2nd and 3rd practice at race weekends. They can make all sorts of improvements, set up changes etc. Does it help them perform better? IMO not in the case of HRT and Marussia (formerly Virgin). They are disorganised inadequate teams. Caterham is getting better year on year because the team is run far better by a guy who knows how to run a business. Tony Fernandes is CEO of Air Asia and also owns QPR football team. He is a very capable guy. The same goes for Force India. They were new not long ago. Vijay Mallya is CEO of Kingfisher Airlines and he owns a huge brewery business in India. He too is a very capable guy. Force India's problem is that Kingfisher tried to expand too fast IMO. Too ambitious. That's why they have chronic cashflow problems right now. That's why 49% of the team was sold to Sahara. They were desperate financially.

Fundamentally, I think a team will improve if (1) it has money (2) it has the right staff (3) it is run properly and (4) has the right plan.

I think Caterham has all 4 elements in place whereas HRT and Marussia do not.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

In-season testing is another issue. Would it help the teams? I think it's marginal. Again, they all have 1st, 2nd & 3rd practice to try new parts.

With a test day, you can run all day long and do a lot of kilometres. That is only needed in pre-season testing when you have to check out a brand new car thoroughly from top to bottom.

During the season, you don't need to do such extensive, fundamental tests. You just need to check how upgraded parts are working on the car. A 2 hour practice session is more than enough for that. And the car is not in parc ferme conditions then. So if a part is hopeless in 1st practice, you can swap it out and put the old part back in again. Parc ferme only starts after qualification is over.

But whatever I've written so far is about what is good for developing the car (in the context of how newer teams can get better).

It is a totally different story if we are talking about reserve drivers. The bulk of the seat time they get is during pre-season testing. If they are lucky they get to drive in 1st practice. If they don't, it is so hard for them to remain race ready (if they have to step in to replace an injured race driver) because it has literally been months since that reserve driver has actually driven a car. And often that reserve driver is a rookie who doesn't have much experience. So it is doubly difficult.

IMO just on grounds of safety alone, reserve drivers should get unlimited seat time in a car that is over 2-3 years old with demo tyres. That doesn't give the team any advantage BUT it helps that driver become safer (which benefits everyone on the grid) and helps that driver develop. IMO the current rules are crazy from the point of view of reserve drivers.

--

997.1 C2S

My mistake - somehow I got it into my head that a practice session is 2 hours. It isn't. Practice 1 and 2 are 90 mins whereas practice 3 is 60 mins. Anyway, IMO it's still more than enough time and my poitn remains valid.

That's 4 hours free practice for each of 20 races making 80 hours of testing, set up etc during a full season.

A test day is AFAIK 8 hours so 80 hours is equivalent to 10 test days. For in-season car development, that should be more than enough.

--

997.1 C2S

And if I remember correctly Pre-season testing was actually limited to protect or help even the odds of the smaller teams because that sort of testing was so expensive that in the past the bigger teams were able to do a lot more of this testing and the smaller tesms could not afford it so in the end their performance gap suffered more. So they reduced the number of pre-season testing sessions do that all teams would get the same amount.
    --

Agree on reserve drivers. And I accept your points on additional testing for new teams. My one reservation is that, in that first year, more time to test the cars -- and the team, even on a home track -- might bring them up to speed faster and help them gel as a team. Of course, you're right to say that a dysfunctional team won't improve just with practice!

That said, it has been a little painful to watch the three new teams flounder so badly the last couple of years.

--

only when the flag drops the BS stops smiley kiss cannot wait eighter wink

Don’t forget that mid season testing was banned as a cost cutting measure. Testing is expensive; it requires the rent of a circuit complete with marshals and paramedics.

The big teams were able to take advantage of this and set-up completely separate test teams complete with their own engineers and drivers, which effectively doubles your budget.

When mid-season testing was banned the big teams compensated by invested heavily on wind tunnel time, this has now been limited by the FIA as well. So if you allow both in season testing and unlimited wind tunnel time you're not helping the smaller teams your hindering them. Since the likes of Marussia and HRT can barely scrape together enough money to complete a race season, it’s unlikely they’d be able to finance a separate test team as well and you can’t use the race team to test because there isn’t enough time between races.

With regards to the new teams, personally I think the FIA should reintroduce the $48 million entry bond, which would have prevented these new teams from embarrassing themselves in the first place. Don’t get me wrong I’m not against new teams; I just think they should be properly financed from the beginning by people who are serious about the sport and want to add value, aka RedBull.

This is not a sport for amateurs and it hasn’t been for a long time. Using it as either A; a cheap marketing exercise for your business, or B; a chance to live the playboy lifestyle at your sponsor’s expense is wrong on every level.

Pre-season is over. Let the racing begin!

Yea.....can't wait !!! So does my 9 year old son .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

BjoernB:

only when the flag drops the BS stops smiley kiss cannot wait eighter wink

Amen Smiley

Testing is limited to help smaller teams be more competition given their limited budget. It is also perhaps to do with environments background these days... Smiley

Looking forward to the race

devil

--

Horner confirms that the B-spec RBR introduced at Barcelona on Sat 3 March will be used in Melbourne. I assume further upgrades will also be added though ... he also identifies Button as Vettel's main threat.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/03/horner-confirms-b-spec-rb8-ready-to-race-in-melbourne/

Pirelli will be using a 2010 Renault for tyre testing. I hope Trulli gets the job.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/03/pirellis-tyre-development-plans-boosted-by-new-test-car/

Very interesting interview with Vettel

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/7576017/Vettel-Passion-Is-Crucial-To-Success

LCdM will demand answers if Ferrari isn't quick. I think it's going to be a painful start to the season for Ferrari

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/03/montezemolo-wants-answers-on-problems-with-ferrari-f2012/

--

997.1 C2S

easy_rider911:

... he also identifies Button as Vettel's main threat.

This is Christian Horner playing mind games early on. He knows full well who his main rival will be ;)

btw there was an excellent TV show on the BBC last night; Racing with the Hamiltons. Not about Lewis, about his brother Nic. Very inspirational.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01d7kpj/Racing_with_the_Hamiltons_Nic_in_the_Driving_Seat/

easy_rider911:

LCdM will demand answers if Ferrari isn't quick. I think it's going to be a painful start to the season for Ferrari

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/03/montezemolo-wants-answers-on-problems-with-ferrari-f2012/

This sounds like: "Draw a lot lads. Someone's head will roll; I still haven't decided whose though!" Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:
    easy_rider911:

This sounds like: "Draw a lot lads. Someone's head will roll; I still haven't decided whose though!" Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

There seems to be a distinct lack of creative thinking at Ferrari. If you look at the biggest innovations of the past few seasons we have:

Double Diffuser – Brawn

Blown Diffuser – RedBull

F-Duct – McLaren

Active Suspension – Lotus (Banned)

If Ferrari can’t start innovating in these areas they’ll always be playing catch up. Is Pat Fry the answer? I don’t think so! Maybe he can put together a new design team, but it will take time, time he doesn’t have.

In the past, Ferrari relied on engine superiority (in the good old days of differente engine formulae, their V12s boasted some 150 BHP more than the V8s of the competition, but the chassis were sometimes hopeless) and then paired that power with honed aerodynamics in their years of total domination. For the past 5 years though, engine development has been frozen and that has taken away one of Scuderia's major competitive advantages (after all, Enzo used to say that the chassis is just a place for him to mount his V12s). Then, the design superteam of Byrne and Martinelli left the building. Up till 2008, Ferrari did a great job even without its design pillars present. With the 2009 rule changes though they took a freefall, from which they never really recovered fully. 2010 was a flash, even though the 3rd place in the Constructors' Title showed that the car was not really that great. 2011 was another disastrous year and 2012 looks like a repetition of the previous one!

Overall, Ferrari historically relied on engine power, track testing and evolutionary aerodynamics from a sound base. Suddenly they lost all of these advantages of theirs and the results are here for us to see and despair about. They tried a revolutionary approach for 2012 (Pullords on the front? What the heck?!) bit it seems that Nicolas Tompazis is not up to the task. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Indeed, but against A.Newey they all look like bunch of kids trying to imitate the elders. 

dxpetrov:

Indeed, but against A.Newey they all look like bunch of kids trying to imitate the elders. 

Well, apart from R. Byrne. He took 7 Contructors' Titles against Newey (6 with Ferrari and 1 with Benetton). Smiley Unfortunately he has retired. Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Schumi thinks RBR is in front but that the chasing teams are closer together. I agree that it's hard to say anything more definite than that based on winter testing.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/7578757/Schumacher-Bulls-Hold-The-Advantage

Petrov gives the impression that he thinks he can contribute as much to Caterham as they can to him because (1) he has used KERS before (but so has Kovalainen at McLaren!) and (2) he has come from a bigger team so he thinks he can point out how Caterham can improve.

I think he is deluding himself. Time will reveal the reality to him. Sadly he is destined to have a longer career in F1 (due to the funding he brings with him) than he would have had purely on merit alone.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7578593/Petrov-I-can-help-Caterham-grow

Caterham has never scored a point. Trulli would have been more likely to exploit the car's potential. But IMO the calculation that Caterham must have made is that, if the car cannot yet score a point, then it's better to get a driver with sponsorship funding in the meantime.

--

997.1 C2S

Ferrari's Pat Fry is calling on the FIA's Charlie Whiting to investigate the legality of RBR's rear exhaust design. The issue concerns re-ingestion of exhaust gases and whether this is done primarily for aerodynamic benefit.

I can't help but suspect that there is a bit of jealousy here. Ferrari tried all winter and couldn't get the design to work. RBR released it as a late B-spec design and it worked straight away. No wonder Fry is feeling a bit peeved.

RBR itself says it isn't breaching the rules.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97897

This is interesting. Misleading journalism IMO. Planet F1 put a spin on this story saying RBR are in no rush to re-sign Webber. When you read what was actually said, it's clear to me that Horner was actually only saying that he would have the conversation with Webber at the right time ... which is during the Summer break.

Right now, obviously, the team's and Webber's entire focus is on preparing for the 1st race.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7579431/Red-Bull-in-no-rush-to-re-sign-Webber

--

997.1 C2S

Common sense has prevailed ... Barcelona and Valencia plan to alternate for the Spanish GP from 2013 ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2112583/Barcelona-Valencia-agree-share-Spanish-Grand-Prix-2013.html

France and Belgium plan to alternate too ...

This frees up the European GP ... will the Dutch accept? I doubt it .. they wouldn't spend what it takes.

I think the European GP will vanish and be replaced by another race somewhere outside Europe ...

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

Common sense has prevailed ... Barcelona and Valencia plan to alternate for the Spanish GP from 2013 ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2112583/Barcelona-Valencia-agree-share-Spanish-Grand-Prix-2013.html

I would have prefered they dtched the Valencia GP altogether, its one of the most boring tracks of the season, there is virtually no overatking, its just a parade on an urban track. Unfortunately Bernie cares litttle about the actual entertainment of the track and more about profitability, that is why we see so m any boring tracks or in countries with no F1 fans or tradition being used in favor of legendary old-school tracks were drivers actually fight it out.

--

I totally agree from the point of view of the circuit, just having the Spanish GP at Barcelona would have been better ...

BUT the event has to be commercially viable and, from this angle, sharing the financial burden between the two venues makes its long term future more certain ... it's better than risking no more Spanish GPs ... look at Holland, Austria and Portugal ... none of them is on the calendar anymore with no real prospect of coming back either ...

Imagine the future of F1 in Spain after Alonso has retired and assuming there is no other Spanish F1 driver with a race seat ... commercial interest will be less ... the juicy sponsorship deals with Santander could just dry up ...

You wouldn't want Spain just to be somewhere that teams come for pre-season testing because of the better winter weather ...

Just my 2 cents ...

--

997.1 C2S

2 DRS zones in Melbourne

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7581736/Two-DRS-zones-in-Australia

And DRS may be outlawed in the rain

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7583485/FIA-tweaks-DRS-rules-for-the-rain

And there may be further rules changes to ensure teams cannot use exhaust gases for aerodynamic benefit

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97970

I think we should see how this season develops before making yet more changes ...

I think it's kind of sad when a 7 time world champion says "I'm still one of the best" in response to the media scrutiny ... IMO Schumi has nothing left to prove. One questions what he is achieving by remaining in F1 if it means people will unjustifiably humiliate him.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/03/schumacher-im-still-one-of-the-best/

I think Ecclestone has read it well. He thinks Vettel will win and any other result would be a surprise. He also seems to read the other drivers well. I suppose he must if he is to put on a good show. He is effectively an impressario.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97971

Ecclestone thinks budget caps may be needed. I hope not.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97969

Very revealing article on how LCdM is already feeling the pressure before the season has even got underway. He laments the fact that F1 is now dominately by aerodynamics. I think it plays a big part but other aspects play a huge part too.

http://www.planetf1.com/editorial/7584488/Luca-Fed-Up-With-Aero-Fiddlers

Domenicali not scared ... well, let's see how this season unfolds ...

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7586431/Domenicali-denies-being-scared-

It's good to read that Fernandes wants Caterham to take a step up

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7586375/Fernandes-Time-to-step-up

Very nice season preview from the BBC's Andrew Benson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17328838

--

997.1 C2S

@jaffamonkey: yeah, I watched the documentary about Nic Hamilton as well ... quite a touching story ... I can't help feeling though that he is just trying to be like his older brother ... and that these opportunities would not have been open to him if it weren't for his father's contacts and the fact that his brother is a former F1 champion. Sure, he is trying to achieve something ... which is fine ... and I applaud that ... especially given the adversity he has overcome ... but I don't see him having a future in it ...

--

997.1 C2S

Excellent pre-race analysis and briefing from James Allen

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/03/how-the-teams-will-tackle-the-first-grand-prix-of-the-season/

Coulthard's view on Raikkonen's return. I agree ... I think Kimi will be quick and he will certainly put pressure on Massa. Whether he can match Alonso in a Ferrari is uncertain. Ferrari will find speed between now and Melbourne.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17346735

--

997.1 C2S

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691057 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410182 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256228 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235421 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858825 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775124 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM