Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Thanks guys!

What app is this? I'd love to have it!

rulesdontapply

Thanks guys wink Great pics.....its nice to see something's moving on 918 project.....

--

rulesdontapply:

Thanks guys!

What app is this? I'd love to have it!

rulesdontapply

The app is a bit pricey to get it, you need to put down a deposit for a 918 first to get it  SmileySmiley

--

That are some sexy details. Thank you very much for taking us with you on that exiting journey with this supercar.

--

Matt C

2009 997 GT3 Mk2  / 1988 911 3.2 Conv.

kudryavchik:

Futch, thank you very much for the information! Car looks great, especially the rear part and the exhaust!

Sorry for offtop))) What is your favourite car to drive? 907, 911 martini or 288 gto? Just interestingsmiley

The martini is still at the garage I haven't driven it yet. The gto I just had a short awesome test drive in it, it'll be ready for collection in a few weeks, I'm getting new turbos fitted. 

I don't have a 907 but a 910, much smaller and easier to drive, the car is like a big go kart. 260 hp for 650 kgs, it's fabulous. 

For sheer driving pleasure and sense of occasion, I still prefer the gt. on the track the 4.0 and for cruising top down , the Alfa 8C is a gem, looks and sounds gorgeous and very classy, Italy at its best. 

Francois, thanks for the new info and pics (Carlos, muchos gracias a ti tambien!).

The general feeling I have with regard to the the CGT and the 918 is that Porsche only brings an "über" sportscar every now and then. Therefore, those cars are almost bound to become instantly classics. Do you feel the same Futch?

Also, you mentioned the 918 might head in the same direction as the 959... what do you mean with that?
    Speaking of the 959... is that one on your list as well? Would be the ultimate super porsche dream garage; 959, GT1, CGT, 918... ;-)

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Great collection!!!Smiley

BlackOctober:
    Futch:

latest detail pictures are sex on wheels , the exhausts are plain sick!

Where are the exhausts to be located?

I thought they were coming out of the lower side of the car but the picture tells otherwise?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    BlackOctober:
    Futch:

I thought they were coming out of the lower side of the car but the picture tells otherwise?

Side exhaust didn't make international regulations. 

New exhausts will be coming out of the roll over hoops, just behind the driver and passenger's headsSmiley

Joost:

Francois, thanks for the new info and pics (Carlos, muchos gracias a ti tambien!).

The general feeling I have with regard to the the CGT and the 918 is that Porsche only brings an "über" sportscar every now and then. Therefore, those cars are almost bound to become instantly classics. Do you feel the same Futch?

Also, you mentioned the 918 might head in the same direction as the 959... what do you mean with that?
    Speaking of the 959... is that one on your list as well? Would be the ultimate super porsche dream garage; 959, GT1, CGT, 918... ;-)

959 is definitely on my list but am not sure it's the best time to buy now. Although I don't think they will come downin value. 

What I meant re 959 is that it never had the success Porsche hoped for, but it's still an important landmark in the brand's history. 918 might share that destiny, it'll be an awesome car ahead of its time. 

I'd love to own a GT1 but a race version not a road version. 

A GT1 race version was for sale at this auction: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/14/historic-porsche-collection-going-up-for-auction-at-amelia-islan/

1997 Porsche 911 GT1 Evolution that is one of just four factory team cars.

Though it is 1,100,000 USD I believe...

Futch:
    reginos:
    BlackOctober:
    Futch:

Side exhaust didn't make international regulations. 

New exhausts will be coming out of the roll over hoops, just behind the driver and passenger's headsSmiley

Thank you for your reply Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Thanks for your reply Futch.
    I agree with you re the 959; for the enthusiasts it will  be one of those all time classics, but from a business perspective it may be another story.

With respect to the exhausts; I understand why the old position did not meet regulations, but do you know the reason why this specific new location was chosen?

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Futch:
    Joost:

959 is definitely on my list but am not sure it's the best time to buy now. Although I don't think they will come downin value. 

What I meant re 959 is that it never had the success Porsche hoped for, but it's still an important landmark in the brand's history. 918 might share that destiny, it'll be an awesome car ahead of its time. 

Given your recent acquisition I would rather add a F40 than a 959. Should be the better choice in terms of driving pleasure and value strategy, if you ask me Smiley Also, it would make a great fit with the GTO.

Christophorus article on the development of the 918 Spyder V8 motorsport engine...

Porsche-918-Spyder-engine.jpg

Porsche 918 RSR -- Dubai Motor Show 2011

...looking forward to hearing more from that Porsche motorsport V8 engine!

Smiley SmileySmiley

BlackOctober:
    Futch:

V8 4.6L produces 570 hp

total combined power 770 hp

EU mixed cycle 3L/100km, 3000 km on a single fuel tank, awesome!!!

0 to 100 less than 3 secs, to 200 less than 9 secs, to 300, less than 27 secs.

4 directional wheels. 

1650 kgs kerb

Nice specs....where we can see these latest pictures?

When you really think about it, what they've achieved is amazing! Without batteries, which could easily weigh around 200kg, this car would have had a mere 1450kg!!! Awesome! It's not a small car and it's got rather ''big'' engine but still manages to stay light-ish! When you compare that to 991 you get a better picture! Smiley

ps. It's also quite amazing, that even after 2 days of exposure, these new photos haven't leaked further! This forum gets more respect from me every day! You guys are fantastic! Cheers! Smiley

The MR6 is a racing engine, so it is very light.

Spyderidol:

So, you don't share my enthusiasm?!! Smiley

Smiley

dxpetrov:
    BlackOctober:
    Futch:

V8 4.6L produces 570 hp

4 directional wheels. 

1650 kgs kerb

When you really think about it, what they've achieved is amazing! Without batteries, which could easily weigh around 200kg, this car would have had a mere 1450kg!!! Awesome! It's not a small car and it's got rather ''big'' engine but still manages to stay light-ish! When you compare that to 991 you get a better picture! Smiley

ps. It's also quite amazing, that even after 2 days of exposure, these new photos haven't leaked further! This forum gets more respect from me every day! You guys are fantastic! Cheers! Smiley

What about a 1.200kg 7.3 V12 Zonda?

Spyderidol:

Gotta love the sound of a great Porsche motorsport engine...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Futch:

Agreed  - my understanding is that they have no where near filled the order books to 918. If I recall correctly only a little over 300 road going 959s were made.

With batteries, collectibility is quite difficult with 918.

I heard on Auto Mundial that if you leave a Tesler for 8 weeks the battery goes so flat it's kaput - $40,000 replacement... So beware that rarely used super car in the garage..!

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Budster:

I heard on Auto Mundial that if you leave a Tesler for 8 weeks the battery goes so flat it's kaput - $40,000 replacement... So beware that rarely used super car in the garage..!

if true....then.....ouch

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

No way will these pioneering  electromechanical cars be worth anything in the collector market in 30 yrs . Today's tech savvy 16 y/o ,who will be the future bidder for today's exotics , will find these cars as interesting /useful as a first gen VCR, cell phone  or digital camera  is to us now .

And good luck even getting these complicated things to run then - as battery packs, replacement  ECMs and program codes will be long unavailable  .

A few museums may buy them for static display.

MKSGR:
    Futch:
    Joost:

Given your recent acquisition I would rather add a F40 than a 959. Should be the better choice in terms of driving pleasure and value strategy, if you ask me Smiley Also, it would make a great fit with the GTO.

You are 100% right, an F40 is high on my list, well, an F40 would be high on anyone's list with a bit of petrol flowing thru their veins.

I think in terms of timing, it was important to find and buy a GTO asap, now that's done, they are more F40 on the market, but even so, it seems they are moving up, slowly but surely.

dxpetrov:
    BlackOctober:
    Futch:

V8 4.6L produces 570 hp

4 directional wheels. 

1650 kgs kerb

RENNTEAM is for true connaisseurs and enthousiasts, a great forum where there actually is a high proportions or users and proper petrolheads.

There are of course a few internet geeks who knows all about cars but have actually never driven them but they're a minority here.

RC adopted me many years ago, Iv'e never looked elsewhere and today I am happy to share my experience with you guys including any info I am sent on the 918.

crayphile:
    Futch:

Agreed  - my understanding is that they have no where near filled the order books to 918. If I recall correctly only a little over 300 road going 959s were made.

I don't know for sure, but I am afraid you are correct, hence my fear that the 918 might share the same fate as the 959, a misunderstood supercar ahead of its time.

Porker:
    dxpetrov:
    BlackOctober:
    Futch:

V8 4.6L produces 570 hp

4 directional wheels. 

1650 kgs kerb

What about a 1.200kg 7.3 V12 Zonda?

Great car the Zonda but its engine is not the masterpiece, the carbon structure is.

The engine is pretty lame of you ask me, very high cubic capacity, tons of torque and very low max rpm. Great performance, usable on the road, but lacks the motorsport personality of a high revving Porsche or Ferrari engine.

MKW:

No way will these pioneering  electromechanical cars be worth anything in the collector market in 30 yrs . Today's tech savvy 16 y/o ,who will be the future bidder for today's exotics , will find these cars as interesting /useful as a first gen VCR, cell phone  or digital camera  is to us now .

And good luck even getting these complicated things to run then - as battery packs, replacement  ECMs and program codes will be long unavailable  .

A few museums may buy them for static display.

Again, I fear you are right. next year the 918 will be a technological marvel, but battery technology is gonna move so fast in the next few years I'm worried it will soon be outdated, time will tell.

I remain hopefull however that the 918 will have its place in the collector market in 20 years time, look at the 959, a true connaisseur's car, totally outdated and yet, spawned the new generation of modern Porsches to this day, and it shows, it hold its value rather well and it's actually going up.

Not as legendary as its nemesis, the F40 but yet highly regarded by serious Porsche Collectors.

Maybe the 918 will follow the same path, completely outdated within 10 years but yet spawned the new generation of green sportscars.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762831 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435575 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260622 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257647 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80970 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872487 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807882 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM