Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Whoopsy:

Lol, It's not a a-vent-a-door.  But it was a very tempting car too, followed a blue roadster on my way to the rally earlier. Looks extremely good.

Anyway, I said it was something special, and in Italian it's Speciale kiss

He he...my first choice (for you)...I know you well. Smiley

Very good choice. To be honest, the Speciale would tempt me a lot too but for now, the 991 Turbo S has to do for the next two and a half years. Then, the cards will be shuffled again and I may actually go for something exotic. If my wife doesn't kill me before that. Smiley

There are a couple of 458 Speciale available for immediate delivery in Germany, average price tag is around 270k EUR.

This one in the photo is actually 250k EUR (incl. VAT). Very tempting.

458sp.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Whoopsy:

Anyway, I said it was something special, and in Italian it's Speciale 

My friend was ordering a California T when the phone rang. 

wow.

just, wow.

Guess it was meant to be then.  Good luck with the discussion at home.  I get the feeling that you know how to work things out though.

This gives you something to do while you await your 918.  Other than tormenting yourself with more thoughts of the 918, that is.

All envy here of course.

Thanks for letting those of us with thin wallets live out our daydreams remotely through you...

Will be very curious to see what your Ferrari ownership experience will be for you. Personally once I got a Ferrari there was no turning back angry

My wife was actually ok with my decision, but she voiced concerned that I will have another 2 seater, preferred me to buy something that can seat 4,  like the FF.

I was actually planning to look at the FF while my friend config his T. They had a used 2012 that's at around 2/3 of what the original MSRP. 

Not a done deal yet, as I found out there might be one concern, Speciale didn't come with audio and nag as standard to save weight, and I didn't see those options on the build sheet, need to clarify that today, will be a deal breaker.

This particular car was @ 345k$CAD, then the original buyer had $150k option tacked on. Pretty much carbon everything and leather etc. I am definitely not paying half a mil for a modern car that don't have radio and nav.

But one thing is for sure, I had enough of the McLaren. That car is definitely a goner. It was a fantastic car to drive, comfortable, fast, and the doors are just begging to be stared at. BUT, I just didn't 'feel' the car, like it doesn't really make me WANT to drive it. Almost feel like driving it is like a one night stand, pure sex and no emotions. 

My Turbo S on the other hand feels more like sex with wife/girlfriend, I WANT to drive it. I think a Ferrari might be the same feel. Passion, I think that's what missing in the Mac.

All my car keys are lined up in a drawer, I had to make a conscious effort to pick up the McLaren key, but if I don't I automatically go for the Porsche key. Or some times the S8.

--

Nick, once you drive the Ferrari you will be hooked.kiss

That said, Autocar magazine next week is rumored to have an article comparing the GT3, Speciale and 650S. it is also rumored that the GT3 bested them all probably because of the price point. You don't want a heavily options Ferrari track car. You will take a substantial haircut on resale.

In a way I am glad you as of yet have not bought the CGT. Though it is a fabulous car, it is unforgiving. You have too much going for you to play with that car.  

Impressive move Nick ! More pics upon delivery ! 

Done deal! Picking car up Wednesday. 

Seems for North America market all the creature comfort items are standard, hence no ordering codes needed.

As for the haircut part, when I buy a car fully expected to lose money, just part of the game. This one however, even with the heavy options, 'might' be at least even money if not ahead if I sell it within 2014 as I think there are 3 more 'sold' cars arriving for the rest of the year, and not another white one till the 5th car next year.  Supply and demand. Vancouver is not a big market for Ferrari so supply will always be limited. I mean, they get 4 FFs a year. The sales manager who sold me the car told me he had a good year already for the 1st 6 months, he sold 6 cars including mine. 

It would also seems like the LaFerrari can still be ordered. I jokingly said if he sells me a LaFerrari I will buy the Speciale. The answer wasn't one I was expecting, 'very good chance it could be arranged'. Hmm.

Think it was late last year or early this year that I learnt a LaFerrari could be had through back channels. But to get this answer from official channel is quite shocking. Who knows, maybe I will get car 713 of the 1 of 499 LaFerrari 

--

Don't say I didn't warn you about driving a Ferrari. You may cancel your 918 and get a LF after driving the Speciale.indecision

nberry:

Don't say I didn't warn you about driving a Ferrari. You may cancel your 918 and get a LF after driving the Speciale.indecision

Haha, not gonna happen. There is so much tech, performance, luxury, etc in the 918 that it's a bargain.

The LF, if materialized would only be an addition, and may not even be a forever keeper, it will be gone if the price is right.

LF is not in the same class as the 918, it plays in a different field with the P1. Both are pretty bare bone halo car, one dimensional dry track performance sports car. Initially I thought I like the P1 more and dissed the LF, but after some in-depth research the LF won me over by a mile, especially after seeing it in action in videos. 

There is nothing playing in the same field as the 918, maybe the Veyron but 918 is light years ahead in technology.

I think a proper combination would be to get one of either LF or P1 AND a 918. 

Futch is pretty extreme in planning to use the LF almost as a DD, I admire his resolve but for my personal taste I'd rather use a 918 as a DD and maybe use a LF on special track days or nice Sunday drives.

--

That Speciale look fantastic in white and carbon.

Enjoy your day Wednesday man!

Here is a few

more of the car taken by my friend while we were there

20140612_180435185_iOS.jpg

140271203219720140612_180447398_iOS.jpg

20140612_180441799_iOS.jpg

--

LOL, this thread was started by Futch but I have adopted it as my own a while time ago and now I have hijacked it with non-918 stuff. Oops.

--

Anyone who has a 918 on order gets cut a little slack here, I'm sure.  Especially considering how much 918 content you've already put in; and given the need for a diversion due to continued delays from Porsche.  I'm sure Futch understands.  Besides, RC started the recent slide off topic with that orange lambo, so I'm sure you're safe...

If I had a Speciale waiting in the showroom for me, I wouldn't be able to stop posting about it!  Feel free to do a huge expose on it in the F section though...

I am intoxicated with your developing garage (in case you haven't noticed).  So many of you guys here give me real examples to obsess over from day to day.  I hope you enjoy your car to the full for the sake of all of us!

EVO has an article about the Speciale (I have not read it) comparing it to the GT3 and 650S. They loved the Speciale but indicated that from a performance standpoint the GT3 was close and for the money hard to beat. The 650S did not fair so well.

Next issue perhaps?  It's not in the June issue 

Probably the July issue which must be out. Here is the cover. I could not access to the article.

holly trinity.jpg

Not in Xenio yet :(

Almost seems like I am unintentionally egging on Porsche for delaying my 918, took my 12C instead of the Turbo S for a car rally and now buying a Ferrari because of the endless wait on the 918. 

Well I 'could' have bought something from Porsche to pass time, if only the GT3 wasn't in such a mess..............

I still want another Porsche, if only they make the Panamera smaller, as in E-class size and with a rear bench seat, AWD, with about 550hp. Or, put the e-hybrid system in the Panamera Turbo/Turbo S instead of the stupid little V6.

--

Gordon Murray about modern Hypercars

http://grrc.goodwood.com/road/news/qa-hankering-one-supercar-wouldnt-unless-hybrid-monsters-hadnt-come

--

sportcars-history.com

"No I don’t think so. They have gone in a completely different direction from the F1. I see these cars more as a technical exercise. I am not saying the P1 is not a good car but it is 180 degrees away from what the McLaren F1 set out to do. The F1 was a pure driver’s car, a piece of engineering art and also a car you could use every day. It was always going to be quick but we never set out to achieve 240mph. The most important thing was that you could take it to the track and be able to slide it around a little. We could easily have given it three or four times the downforce but what would have been the point?"

​His take on the P1 is the most interesting. But it pretty much echo everyone's opinion that the P1 is not a worthy successor to the F1. F1 is way more practical and everyday friendly than the P1, it seats 1 more, have more luggage space on just about the same foot print. As for the driver's car bit, he is spot on again. P1 is a aero heavy car, and those are tricky to drive, like F1 cars, car needed to be traveling fast enough for the aero to take hold and go around a corner, there is a gap between the end of the mechanical grip and the start of the aero grip, and that gap is not driver friendly.

McLaren did in fact planned to make the P1 a conventional hyper car, along similar lines of the F1, souped up the excellent 12C platform and gives it super aero. But after learning Porsche is doing a hybrid, they had to scramble and hack up a hybrid system to fit within the constraints of the 12C platform, which was never designed to have a hybrid system in the first place. The fact that they managed to fit everything and make them work is a testament to their engineering skills. 

--

http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/the-clarkson-review-porsche-918-spyder-weissach-pack/

Clarkson is getting nervous about the proper head to head test, haha.

--

Had more thinking about the 3 cars.

The 918 could well be proven to be the fastest car, but it won't 'feel' the fastest. The 918 has the German trait, clinically efficient, and no drama, it's super fast yet from the driver's point of view it doesn't appeared that way.

That statement may not be quite correct as from the driver seat the 918 do gives a feeling of sensory overload. But I guess you guys can kind of get the point.

The P1 was over hyped by Mr Dennis. It may turned out to be the slowest one of the 3, but does that matters?  Other than giving a bruised eye to Ron and some McLaren fan boys, not really. The P1 is like the drama queen, it may not be that fast but it sure will pretend to be that fast and gives out all sorts of excitement and commotion to the driver. A bit like the Italians. And the sensory overload given to the driver is satisfying enough for the buyers and they won't regret buying it.

LaFerrari, it's a Ferrari, it's Italian, enough said.

--

Whoopsy:

The 918 could well be proven to be the fastest car, but it won't 'feel' the fastest. The 918 has the German trait, clinically efficient, and no drama, it's super fast yet from the driver's point of view it doesn't appeared that way.

All this “feel fast” approach of the P1 reminds me of one old car of mine – tuned Impreza with more than 400bhp at the wheels.

Every time when accelerate fast, my CD player was flying to the back seat. SmileyBut at the end of the day, numbers were undisputable and it was a 13 sec. car at the drag strip…  

Whoopsy:

That statement may not be quite correct as from the driver seat the 918 do gives a feeling of sensory overload. But I guess you guys can kind of get the point.

The P1 was over hyped by Mr Dennis. It may turned out to be the slowest one of the 3, but does that matters?  Other than giving a bruised eye to Ron and some McLaren fan boys, not really. The P1 is like the drama queen, it may not be that fast but it sure will pretend to be that fast and gives out all sorts of excitement and commotion to the driver. A bit like the Italians. And the sensory overload given to the driver is satisfying enough for the buyers and they won't regret buying it.

LaFerrari, it's a Ferrari, it's Italian, enough said.

What's funny is that if you go to Fchat, the 12C is panned and the 458 praised for this difference in feel, yet the P1 is panned and the 918 will be praised.

noone1:

What's funny is that if you go to Fchat, the 12C is panned and the 458 praised for this difference in feel, yet the P1 is panned and the 918 will be praised.

Pretty ironic, isn't it?

12C was panned for being too clinical and sterile, so McLaren made the P1 the other way around and still get panned. 

I am on Fchat too, it is a surreal experience watching them defend a Porsche on Ferrari's home turf.

--

when is this Top Gear review out?

looks wise, LaF is streets ahead of P1 and 918. The latter two are not even in the same competition.

sfo:

looks wise, LaF is streets ahead of P1 and 918. The latter two are not even in the same competition.

Aesthetics are subjective.

I love the La Ferrari but I think the 918 looks every bit as good.

/\ agree. I should have prefaced my comments with IMHO

Some 918 NUMBERS from Top Gear. indecision

Jesus, this I call numbers... smiley

1403162351709TG_Test_02.png

TG_Test_01.png

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774669 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440243 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262017 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260284 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84822 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879314 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814120 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM