Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Wonderbar:

Hope it's not electric blue, like this P1 i saw in Geneva last week.  This color, and the contrast with black/carbon parts, gives the car a "kit car" look, IMHO.  Note sprung hood latch...1394577738882IMG_0518 blue P1.jpg

Guess, I saw the same one... it was parked in front of the hotel? When I passed by, the car was hidden underneath a fabric cover. Considering the paint color, I know why... It did look surprisingly small though indeed.

Saw the 918 at Geneva and have to say that the car looks impressive. It personally shows to me that Porsche, just as on the Carrera GT, is able to build timeless designs when they are allowed to do, whereas on all other models they have to fuel the customers´ desire to exchange cars every few years and have approached far more trend-oriented styling themes.

Coincidentally, when I was in Stuttgart a few days later I heard a very distinctive engine sound approaching. It sounded like a mix of a Carrera engine and a flat-crank Ferrari V8. It obviously was a 918 and the sound can indeed be described best by the 9A1 engine with sport exhaust, yet eight instead of six cylinders.

Also, just read an internal 918 product guide and obviously the weight difference between the three will be around 100 to 130 kg at max... :-) Worst scenario!!!

RC, is there any chance to rename this thread, maybe OFFICIAL: Porsche 918 Spyder  wink

Monster ˇˇˇˇˇˇ

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Whoopsy:
    noone1:

That's wrong. It's 903hp in all modes except electric.

I don't see how it's any different that the Porsche or LF. It's whatever the NA engine + assistance from the electric motor depending on your throttle position.

903hp 'potential'.

McLaren has the IPAS button for extra boost. If the car is already producing max output, that means there is no more reserve for the extra boost.

They have stated the e-motor's primary function is to fill in torque gaps, smooth out power delivery, that means the primary propulsion unit is the petrol engine and the e-motor's output is modulated to supplement the petrol engine.

See it this way, say the engine at 4000rpm produces X lb-ft of torque, and the e-motor is at max output adding 192 lb-ft, at that rpm there is X+192 lb-ft. Where is the reserve when you press the IPAS button? There is none as the e-motor is maxed out. Logical way to think of it is the e-motor is not supplying max output, say at 4000 rpm it is only adding 10 lb-ft.  So when you press the IPAS button, it tells to ECU to boost the e-motor to max and adding 182 lb-ft on top of X+10 lb-ft. There is your instant kick in the pants. In effect the hybrid motor is only working part time.

This is how KERS works in F1. Logical to think McLaren is going the same route.

41.jpg

McLaren hasn't published their output chart, but we can use this old one from the 918 to illustrate. The absolute max output of the drivetrain is the top of the graph, at any given rpm the max power available is well defined, it cannot be breached. So in order to have a 'boost', there has to be a reserve, which also means the max power available is not provided at all times. Think of the front axle e-motor output of the 918 as the 'holdback reserve' in the P1. Pretend the combined output of the 2 motors in the 918 is the output of the e-motor in the P1 and the rear e-motor + the petrol engine output total is what one gets in the P1 before pressing the IPAS button. Then you will understand. 

Porsche doesn't employ a boost button in the 918, so at any given rpm, the combined output of all 3 propulsion sources is available. 

I don't follow. I think you misunderstand the difference between the modes.

The IPAS isn't actually used in most modes. It's just a button for cheap thrills. When you are in Boost mode (I think that's it,) the car is running on the petrol engine and only kicks in the electric motor when you press the IPAS button. Hence you have excess power/tq at your fingertips. I'm not sure if it is still filling in the torque in this mode or not, but yes, it's not outputting max power unless you hit the button.

However, when that mode is not activated, the car is always using the electric motor and it is controlled automatically by the car. If you're just cruising at 70mph with barely any use of the throttle, I'd imagine the electric motor is doing very little. The second you step on the gas, it should kick in 100% to not only fill in any lag, but also to provide anything beyond that.

That said, I don't see why it makes a difference. If you slam your foot on the throttle with the IPAS button disable, you get 903hp at a given RPM.

IPAS mode is actually active at all times, but 2 conditions has to be met, throttle > 80% and car going in a straight line before the button does what it is suppose to do. I believe Chris Goodwin mentioned before the e-motor is alway active an the ECU decides when and how much output is needed.

This is actually an interesting debate/discussion on how the P1 works. Exercise for our brains.

At 80% throttle the engine output of course smaller than at 100% throttle,  won't opening the last 20% of throttle travel faster than moving the fingers to press the IPAS button? 

If the P1 employs 50-50 split between electric and petrol, that means at 80% throttle the e-motor only has around 40lb-ft in reserve, not a likely scenario as all the journalists who drove the car said there is a definite 'kick' when IPAS button is pressed. 

Of course at 100% throttle the e-motor will be dishing out all 192lb-ft, but I suspect at partial throttle the e-motor is barely active and only doing enough to torque fill, leaving most of the 192lb-ft in reserve. So possibly even at 80% throttle travel, the e-motor maybe not even be putting out anything, saving that for full throttle or IPAS. 

--

Hold your breath friends and Porsche enthusiasts!!!

Latest unconfirmed (yet) 918 final acceleration numbers:

0-60 mph - 2.38 seconds!!!

1/4 mile - 9.65 seconds!!!

We are days away from a Game.Set.Match in the automotive industry…  smiley

Seems possible given what the P1 did. 1/4 mile times are mainly about traction and tq, and I'm sure the 918 has plenty of both. I think the trap speed will be lower than the P1 though.

Did some interesting quickie calculations with online 1/4 calculators, not truly accurate but gives a good enough ball park to judge when HP, weight, 1/4 times and trap speeds are known.

At McLaren P1's listed weight of 1395kg and 903HP, I added a 68kg driver to the equation and uses 2 different site's calculators and average the results.

On paper the P1 is suppose to do a 8.87@ 151.54. Now the Road & Track's time is way off on both count.

Since ET do varies depending on launches, the trap speed is a more consistent measure of car's HP. To adjust 2.64 mph difference, the engine either is down about 50HP or the weight is about 90kg heavier than listed.

While R&T did the run in England on a slightly damp track, that might account for some of the traction issue, the engine on the other hand has to be making at least 903HP if not more with the cold air. 

Maybe the 1395kg is the dry weight of the car, but does all the fluids in a car weights 90kg?

Also did a calculation with the 918's numbers based on the 1640kg listed weight of the Weissach car with a 68kg driver  and 887HP.

The averaged number is 9.4 @ 143.27. Close enough to the rumoured time of 9.65.

Also consider the 5.63mph difference in trap speed between the measured P1 speed and the estimate 918 speed. 

For rough calculations by dragsters, every 20HP equals 1mph and every 75lb, or around 34kg is also a 1mph. 

If the P1's true weight is 1485kg instead of 1395kg, then it would be about 155kg lighter than the 918 and that alone accounts for about 4.5mph, plus the extra 1mph from the 16HP advantage. 

For comparison, I plugged in the 12C's number to do a calculation, but only the listed weight plus driver, so 1467kg and 616HP. It averaged out  to be 10.09@ 133.49mph. Extremely comparable to the 10.55 @ 134.56mph gotten by a mostly stock MP4-12C last year which only has an exhaust upgrade. That specific car weights 1414kg with 1/4 tank of fuel.

--

I believe RT ran the P1 in race mode as well. That would add additional downforce and drag. An ideal drag race would probably be run in sport mode with the spoiler all the way down and the car a little higher.

For a 1/4 mile race, all you need is good TC.

918 why dont you sound anything like this laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKhwz18I878

--

Boyko23:

Hold your breath friends and Porsche enthusiasts!!!

Latest unconfirmed (yet) 918 final acceleration numbers:

0-60 mph - 2.38 seconds!!!

1/4 mile - 9.65 seconds!!!

We are days away from a Game.Set.Match in the automotive industry…  smiley

Any source? Also, could you possibly elaborate what Porsche seem to have under their sleeve?

I drove my 914GTS with a  straight "stinger" exhaust on the street.  It gets old real quick...

So I got more info from Porsche about my up coming tour. Gonna be staying at the Maritim hotel. Also, word came back to me that I am not allow to take pictures at the factory or at Weissach :( 

A bit disappointed that I may not be able to take pictures of my own car naked but still excited for the trip.

Now I need to brush up my basic German, I think I will need to know more than ja, nicht, toilette......................

--

I recommend word "wunderschön" smiley You will us it quite a lot when you see all gadgets in factory kiss

--

Whoopsy:

Now I need to brush up my basic German, I think I will need to know more than ja, nicht, toilette......................

During the test drive, keep repeating "schneller" in a never ending loop. Afterwards when they ask if you enjoyed the drive answer "alles Disco" and when they ask you to step out of the car say "nein Mann!".

Fingers crossed for a great experience Smiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

bluelines:
    Whoopsy:

During the test drive, keep repeating "schneller" in a never ending loop. Afterwards when they ask if you enjoyed the drive answer "alles Disco" and when they ask you to step out of the car say "nein Mann!".

Hahahahahah! Nein mann! Ich will noch nicht geh'n. Ich will noch ein Bisschen tanzen -scratch that- ich will noch ein Bisschen fahren!

On a more serious note, maybe you can ask their PR department to take pictures for you during your visit? That way they'll have control over what will get public and what not, and in the same time you'll hopefully have some nice pics of your car being built. In the end, it's customers like you that should be the ones they will treat like a king, right?

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

^^^^  ^^^^ 

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Ferrari gave me pictures of my car being built. I didn't have to go to the factory.

bluelines:
    Whoopsy:

That´s hilarious. I never used the expression "alles Disco" but maybe I should start using it. Smiley

Whoopsy, have a good time. When does your trip start?

Joost:

On a more serious note, maybe you can ask their PR department to take pictures for you during your visit? That way they'll have control over what will get public and what not, and in the same time you'll hopefully have some nice pics of your car being built. In the end, it's customers like you that should be the ones they will treat like a king, right?

I offered to have them examine my pictures before leaving the factory, waiting for them to get back to me. But at Weissach it's definitely no go, all cameras phone etc has to be surrendered before entry.

I asked about journalists taking pictures, they said those trips are planned months in advance and they clean out all sensitive materials before the journalists arrives. 

At least Porsche are being honest to me. When I visited McLaren, I was told yes I can take pictures before I arrived. But once I am there they flip flopped. Just like the promise of showing me the P1. And that's one of the reason why Porsche is getting my million instead of McLaren. Better customer relationship. 

--

Ferdie:
    Whoopsy, have a good time. When does your trip start?

Flying in from London on the 7th, did the stopover there simply because of the British Airway flight I want to take. BA918 Smiley

Event starts morning of 8th. Flying back out on the 9th.

--

Its fair from Porsche to let you know what is allowed and what not right away. I kinda understand them why they wont allow you running around factory taking photos smiley

--

Whoopsy:

So I got more info from Porsche about my up coming tour. Gonna be staying at the Maritim hotel. Also, word came back to me that I am not allow to take pictures at the factory or at Weissach :( 

A bit disappointed that I may not be able to take pictures of my own car naked but still excited for the trip.

Mate if you are there on the 7th of April, that means I will meet you. I was invited to be there on the 7th.  

Should be great fun.

Cheers!

blufoxx:
    Whoopsy:

Mate if you are there on the 7th of April, that means I will meet you. I was invited to be there on the 7th.  

Should be great fun.

Cheers!

Cause you are part of the 5 from Canada. Laurence told me there will me and 4 others. Since I know I am the only one from Vancouver, you had to be the other 4 from the East :) 

Seems like this one is a Canadian only tour. They were suppose to have a maximum of 10, not sure what happened to the other 5.

--

I am still waiting for my invitation lol 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Atzporsche:

I am still waiting for my invitation lol 

SmileySmiley

BlueflameSmiley

Whoopsy:

You need to leave your phone and/or camera at the entrance.

Please be aware that taking photos inside Weissach development centre, incl. the track, is strictly prohibited, they do not take it lightly and they do not care about VIP customers if this happens. You actually have to sign a piece of paper where you assure them that you won't take photos. I know that many Weissach visitors try to smuggle little cameras inside and take photos but I can assure you that if they catch you...not pretty. Just don't do it, especially if you want to keep a good relationship with Porsche in the future. 

A suggestion (not really sure if possible but sometimes, depending on the guide you have with you...): Your group should ask them if they cannot take a photo with you guys in front of the assembly and/or a 918. Maybe on the Weissach track. There should be possibilities to make this happen, maybe outside the gate in a 918. Asking doesn't really hurt anyone. Smiley ASK at the beginning, NOT at the end.

If you need help with anything, just PM me. Maybe I can help.

Have fun!!! Smiley

P.S.: Take a toy car 918 with you, if you can, one in white. Take a waterproof black pen with you. Maybe you are lucky to meet the father of the 918, Dr. Walliser. Let him sign the toy car with the black pen (yes, he will do that if you ask nicely).  If Dr. Walliser isn't there, maybe Mr. Drolshagen is. He is the project leader as far as I remember. This will be a very special reminder of a wonderful day in Weissach. You can do the same with a book about the 918 (if you happen to have one with you but I like the touch with the toy car more).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

Please be aware that taking photos inside Weissach development centre, incl. the track, is strictly prohibited, they do not take it lightly and they do not care about VIP customers if this happens. You actually have to sign a piece of paper where you assure them that you won't take photos. I know that many Weissach visitors try to smuggle little cameras inside and take photos but I can assure you that if they catch you...not pretty. Just don't do it, especially if you want to keep a good relationship with Porsche in the future. 

A suggestion (not really sure if possible but sometimes, depending on the guide you have with you...): Your group should ask them if they cannot take a photo with you guys in front of the assembly and/or a 918. Maybe on the Weissach track. There should be possibilities to make this happen, maybe outside the gate in a 918. Asking doesn't really hurt anyone. Smiley ASK at the beginning, NOT at the end.

Have fun!!! Smiley

P.S.: Take a toy car 918 with you, if you can, one in white. Take a waterproof black pen with you. Maybe you are lucky to meet the father of the 918, Dr. Walliser. Let him sign the toy car with the black pen (yes, he will do that if you ask nicely).  If Dr. Walliser isn't there, maybe Mr. Drolshagen is. He is the project leader as far as I remember. This will be a very special reminder of a wonderful day in Weissach. You can do the same with a book about the 918 (if you happen to have one with you but I like the touch with the toy car more).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

As I have been corresponding with Porsche, that's what I was told.

Dr Walliser is scheduled to have lunch with us after the museum and factory visit at the Christophorus. 

As for his signature, I actually had a better idea in mind, instead of having him sign a toy car or book, I am going to ask him to sign my actual car. Already had a spot in mind too. 

--

Whoopsy:
    RC:

Have fun!!! Smiley

--

As I have been corresponding with Porsche, that's what I was told.

Dr Walliser is scheduled to have lunch with us after the museum and factory visit at the Christophorus. 

As for his signature, I actually had a better idea in mind, instead of having him sign a toy car or book, I am going to ask him to sign my actual car. Already had a spot in mind too. 

Nice one mate. I think I will steal that one from you :)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752818 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430460 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258469 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255395 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868072 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801656 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM