Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Not saying the 12C is a bad platform. It is a fantastic one. Just had a drive in mine for the 1st time in about a month as the weather finally turn more spring like. I was in the car for about an hr, both in bumper traffic and open highway. I looked around the car and I can't really find anything I didn't like. I had my IRIS system upgraded to the newest version so even that handicapped navi system is no longer an issue. About the only thing major I wished for in the car was awd to put the awesome power down in anything condition, but right now at this power level it's about tops for even dry weather, fantastic traction control system. The rest is just nick picking. The cabin might not feel 300k worth like in a Ferrari, maybe I wish for a bit more cubby holes for phone or other stuff. Also wished for a front axle lift and rear view camera but those 2 are stuff that is available and it's just missing on my own car.

Also had a good mental discussion by my left brain and my right brain last night. At what price would I be willing to pay for a P1 and at what price would i be willing to pay for a 918. Knowing the P1's genes, max I would pay is about 800k, I really can't bring myself to paying more than that for s souped up 12C. On the other hand, had Porsche priced the 918 at 1.3mil, I would still buy one just because of how much effort Porsche has put into the car from scratch. 

I had another mental brain storm about the 2 cars also. (this time it wasn't in the toilet smiley)  I imagine the 12C would be the Saturn I rocket, very capable. The new 650S is the Saturn IB and the P1 is the Saturn V, same basic design but super sized and brute forced to become the most powerful rocket. The 918 on the other hand is the Space Shuttle. It went a completely different direction, testing NASA's engineering limit. Converting what was considered impossible possible.

Either space vehicle is significant in history to warrant a spot. Just like the 2 cars. There isn't really a winner.

With the P1, McLaren has proved to us that by using hybrid technology to supplement petrol engine, what kind of awesome performance it can extract out of a car. Porsche on the other hand has proved to us that by using brilliant engineering, there is no penalty to driving a hybrid, even the weight penalty is of no concern as the performance of the 918 is neck and neck with the P1 while returning unreal fuel economy numbers, plus the awd system makes it a all season car. Also, while the P1 is pretty spartan in the interior department, the 918 is downright luxurious. For a halo car owner, there is no compromise needed, they can have their cake and eat it too. 

--

Whoopsy  - there is only one solution to your conundrum  - you need to buy both !

I might when the P1 comes down in price. indecision

--

I think its likely to drop slower than a 918 given the effusive reviews its got and production limit of 375, but I hope it does drop significantly for your and my sake!

Porsche is known as company that secures its future with advanced mechanical and tech solutions. They are constantly craving for those elements, not just for best timing (like P1 for instance). 918 was project with main aim to acquire important skills and knowledge for development of very complex systems. Second part is LeMans racing, where Porsche wants great experience with platform optimization, material durability and ergonomy.

I am watching every single step of Porsche and they are masters when it comes to long term plans & management. So guys, make yourself comfortable in your chairs and watch what is coming in next years. 918 is just one tiny part of whole Porsche`s plan to secure its future kiss

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

crayphile:

I think its likely to drop slower than a 918 given the effusive reviews its got and production limit of 375, but I hope it does drop significantly for your and my sake!

Haha, you are waiting too? I felt like both Ferrari and Mclaren priced in the initial 'flip' price already with the asking price. So for the next couple years, I think the price will stay firm up around there as none of the initial buyers wants to take a bath. It won't go up much if at all. I don't mind waiting a while for a P1, it's not a cutting edge tech car, so timing for acquiring one has no significant bearing, like I don't mind waiting 5 years to buy a toaster oven, but I won't wait 5 years to buy a iPhone 5S.

918 on the other hand is a Porsche, and they never really appreciate, plus, 918 is significant more volume than 375 so the price holding power is not there. 

But the perks that comes with being the initial buyer of 918 does come in handy, I just exercised mine for the first time, cutting the line to get a Macan S, early June production instead of Sept production. 

Also offered 100k to take the 991 GT3 off his hands, but too bad there is a stop sale haha.

--

In Geneva,Ferrari president Montezemolo stated that Ferrari intentionally cuts back on production to keep demand ahead of supply. That of course leads to higher prices (La Ferrari is perfect example) but also says something about the comparative quality of the car.  A higher price does not quality make.  A 918 is not inferior to either the Ferrari or the P1, and in fact is a bargain.  And if Ferrari or McLaren made 918 cars, they could not justify the premium asked.  

Whoopsy:

At first I thought the blue exhaust flames were CG add on, then after a few replays I am convinced it's real flames shooting out.

Blue flames whether on P1 or 918 or GT3 sure look awesome. Very cool TopGear segment.

Clarkson may sometimes be an ass, and they often may not be fair, but one thing you have to give the producers of TopGear, they are very good at cinematic presentation. The antithesis of MotorWeek.  The P1 review by Clarkson and now the 918 review by Hammond really have drama.  I especially love the point in Hammond's video where he exclaims  "Boom!" upon hitting the 9000rpm red line as he's letting it rip down the straight -- and in that moment they cut to the exhaust pipes with a punching note as the blue flames roar out.  Holy @$%!

Ferrari has been in this game long enough to make them the expert in pricing. They know how to market these for sure.

P1 was initially planned to be a 500 car run, but very likely their marketing department forecasted that they can't sell all 500 so the run was cut to 375. But then again even at 375 units McLaren will make big bucks off this run. It's cheapest to produce, as it is an extension to their 12C program.

Porsche on the other has more accountants on guard, 918 units is very likely to be close to their break even number, but it has been reported that Porsche still loses money on each and every 918, so the break even number is likely to be in the 1000s. Porsche is willing to eat the cost as the 918 program lays the foundation for their next generation of cars, so in a way the cost can be amortized over a larger number of cars.

The world's market for cars in this category is extremely small, while there are a lot of rich people, most of them are not into cars, they have better things to buy. There will be 1917 of these 3 cars ever, counting some owners buying multiple, maybe 1800 potential customers. Minus the unsold 918 slots, which should be around 300, there is like 1500 customers in the whole world. Would be extremely interesting to see how Porsche can find that last 300 customers. 

--

Ferrari have old strategy when it comes to creating great hype, and they do that job very well. They want to make LaF desirable as much as possible, and they will do it, just like they did with Enzo. There is no need to have hard feelings about that smiley From what I know very accurately, Ferrari is cutting production because they realized that they are making "too much" cars (which is right fact). They are now moving on Personalization program which is gold mine in automotive industry (guess what, Porsche is master when it comes to personalization for years now kiss

--

I have to say the P1 is growing on me. I did not like the looks at Geneva show last year, but now seeing it in black hides the bubble on top very well. My conclusion is also that the car will long term not be seen as a souped up 12C, but rather an uncompromised car in its own right. Harris' view above says alot. I talked to my local dealer this week and the demand for the P1 is very strong now. No chance at all to get on the list for a new car and contracts trading att 200-300 kEUR above list.

I still have not given up the thought of the 918. Its the most beautiful of the three, its a convertible and its very high tech. I will get to drive to the final spec car (last time some hp were missing...) at one of the upcoming European events.

Thoughts smiley

--

very nice.

Cannot get much better Smiley Fuctional and very high-quality SmileySmileySmiley

kissLooks very nice  Milanno, but if I may be critical, there's one functional problem angry 

With that red upper dashboard, there will be a lot of glare in the windshield, which can be extremely annoying. I think when you do it the other way around (black upper-, red lower dash), it will look equally amazing indecision

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Suzy, +1...

SuzyF:

kissLooks very nice  Milanno, but if I may be critical, there's one functional problem angry

I am aware of that problem Smiley But I gave myself one sort of freedom with render, since this combination is not going into production Smiley Combination that you are proposing is nice, but not effective visually Smiley

--

I occasionally write for a Porsche monthly magazine, and have been asked to write an article about what technologies on the 918 will filter down to the other models; or if more accurate, what technologies are being tested and developed int the 918 that might filter down  Any thoughts, folks?

Wonderbar:

I occasionally write for a Porsche monthly magazine, and have been asked to write an article about what technologies on the 918 will filter down to the other models; or if more accurate, what technologies are being tested and developed int the 918 that might filter down  Any thoughts, folks?

1. The steering wheel and functions. 

2. The new carbon bucket seats. 

3. The hybrid motor. 

--

RS60 Spyder, 991 GT3 RS pending... :(

4. Carbon luggage indecision

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

5. Pricing for options 

--

Wonderbar:

The 4ws in the 918 has already been filtered down to the GT3 and Turbo/S

The steering wheel design is now used on the Macan and future cars.

The hybrid system is on the Panamera e-hybrid. 

Electric steering is already an option.

New style 3D rear lights has already made it's debut on the Macan and soon the rest of the range.

They have already mastered the technique to do forged carbon and galvanized carbon, so those weight saving techniques will surely find it's way down later on when the cost drops.

The new style PCM could also make an appearance.

--

Whoopsy:
    They have already mastered the technique to do forged carbon and galvanized carbon, so those weight saving techniques will surely find it's way down later on when the cost drops.

991.2 Turbo needs one of these goodies desperately laugh

--

http://driving.ca/mclaren/p1/reviews/road-test/first-drive-2014-mclaren-p1/

Oh boy, more and more it seems I made the right choice in picking the 918 instead of the P1, seems like the P1 is all smoke and mirror. It is a 727hp petrol power car with 'assistance' from a electric motor 95% of the time. Only time when it will be a 903hp is when it is put in Race mode on a track, and that configuration is illegal on the street.

--

Whoopsy:

and that configuration is illegal on the street.

Smiley

--

This picture popped up on OppositeLock today. I am as surprised by this flatbed set up as you are. 

I don't have definite proof as I can't find enough footage to compare, but I 'think' the configuration McLaren ran at the Ring is NOT available for customers.

They definitely would want to lap the Ring in Race mode as that's the fastest, but the ground clearance in Race mode won't work at the Ring, they had to jack it back up a bit. So they ran a custom configuration setting there. 

I tried to compare the ride height of the Ring car and Chris Harris' drive in Race mode in Yaz Marina, 'seems' to me the Ring car rides higher.

--

Porsche930S:

This picture popped up on OppositeLock today. I am as surprised by this flatbed set up as you are. 

Same Dark Blue Metallic prototype shown in the IAF in Paris. Lovely colour!

Porsche must be having a showing in California.

--

Looks amazing with wing raised up angel 

Btw Whoopsy, what color you`ve picked 

--

Hope it's not electric blue, like this P1 i saw in Geneva last week.  This color, and the contrast with black/carbon parts, gives the car a "kit car" look, IMHO.  Note sprung hood latch...1394577738882IMG_0518 blue P1.jpg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691006 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410144 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256201 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235408 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858796 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775107 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM