Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Grant:

I didn't think that was so old, but now that cars have neither a handbrake nor a clutch, I guess it is (and myself included) Smiley

My first car had a manual choke control. I've never really missed that.

Grant:

I didn't think that was so old, but now that cars have neither a handbrake nor a clutch, I guess it is (and myself included) Smiley

I learned using the handbrake in driving school but never used it again afterwards (I was quite talented with the clutch Smiley). The only time I needed (and actually used the handbrake) was during my rally racing days. Afterwards...never again...for the past 25 years or so. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    Grant:

I learned using the handbrake in driving school but never used it again afterwards (I was quite talented with the clutch Smiley). The only time I needed (and actually used the handbrake) was during my rally racing days. Afterwards...never again...for the past 25 years or so. Smiley

Right; you use it after the car stalls.smiley

I drove my race tuned 904 GTS on the street in the 1970s, and the clutch snapped onto the flywheel with a jolt.  If I stalled it, a plug would almost always foul and I would drive around on three cylinders trying to get the fourth to kick in. The backfires through the stinger exhaust would wake the dead.  That was a trip.  Sorry I sold the car in the 1980s but I sure don't miss driving it.  It was a car made to pull out onto the race grid and keep going until you broke or the race was over.  

I still drive my 1961 Super 90 Roadster on the street, but the clutch is easy to feather.  A sweet ride...

Whoopsy,

any news on your new 918? As far as I remember, yours has to be produced this month, right?

Do they plan to announce something new in connection with the start of production?

Nope. It seems the production has been delayed again. Read else where that rumour has it Porsche will start production in March, after slipping from last September to January to February.

I had asked about the exact production timeframe of my car as I wanted to have a factory visit to see it on the production line, that request has sunk down an abyss. There was no reply from Porsche.  I had 3 trips on hold pending the delivery time, as I had agreed to let the dealer hold a 918 party using my car when it arrives and before I take delivery.

--

It seems to be for the better. At the same place reason is "e engines upgraded again. With over boost function".
    Find this great and deserves waiting....

I wondered if the latest upgrade will be credited with the last 30 or so HP to get the car to 918HP haha.

--

Whoopsy:

I wondered if the latest upgrade will be credited with the last 30 or so HP to get the car to 918HP haha.

At some point in the past, I heard that they want to achieve the "magic" 918 hp but over the past couple of weeks, I haven't heard anything anymore, so I'm afraid the current power figure may be the final one.

Sorry to hear about the delay and the lack of communication regarding your production date/time frame. This is really weird.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Spotted in Stuttgart

porsche-918-spyder-c726816022014185329_6.jpgporsche-918-spyder-c726816022014185329_7.jpgporsche-918-spyder-c726816022014185329_4.jpgporsche-918-spyder-c726816022014185329_5.jpgporsche-918-spyder-c726816022014185329_2.jpgporsche-918-spyder-c726816022014185329_3.jpgporsche-918-spyder-c726816022014185329_1.jpg

--

1392741801837clap.gif

Prototype)))

--

sportcars-history.com

One of my source told me end of December, that one of the cars with nearly "job one" specifications had a unexpected failure at the Weissach track. Maybe one of the reasons for the postponed production start.

BTW: the guy, which crash the prototype near Bietigheim has been degraded in some ways.
    Poor guy. Having fun for some seconds and paying a long time of his life for this..which reminds me of Boris Becker Smiley

Yesterday I watched a show about the F35 fighter plane, it got me thinking the 918, is like it.

918 is the most advanced production car right now, just like the F35 is the most advanced fighter. But technology do marches on.

F35 seems to be at the pinnacle of human piloted fighter planes, but with the development of drones, there may not be another development of fighter planes anymore, no need to risk human lives in the air if drones can do the job.

918 is also at the pinnacle of sports car development, right now it sits at the crossover point between internal combustion engines and electric motors, with  the fuel economy standard toughening and more wide spread adoption of hybrid/electric technology, the big displacement naturally aspirated engines could be at the end of their useful lives. 

900HP is a mind boggling HP number. In 10 years, roughly the time frame for Porsche to develop their next halo car, do we realistically see Porsche doing a 1000HP+ car? Or will Porsche go in a different direction? Same can be said of Ferrari and McLaren, will they do a 1000HP car in 10 years? Can Ferrari still make a big displacement NA V12 viable in 10 years if the fuel economy standard keep tightening? Will McLaren still be making cars in 10 years?

918, P1, LaFerrari could be the last of the breed. In 10 years time maybe the next generation super car will be an all electric one like Tesla? Still a hybrid but with a much smaller boosted engine? Or it won't have mega top speed but with great aero like the P1? 

--

Whoopsy:

Yesterday I watched a show about the F35 fighter plane, it got me thinking the 918, is like it.

918 is the most advanced production car right now, just like the F35 is the most advanced fighter. But technology do marches on.

F35 seems to be at the pinnacle of human piloted fighter planes, but with the development of drones, there may not be another development of fighter planes anymore, no need to risk human lives in the air if drones can do the job.

918 is also at the pinnacle of sports car development, right now it sits at the crossover point between internal combustion engines and electric motors, with  the fuel economy standard toughening and more wide spread adoption of hybrid/electric technology, the big displacement naturally aspirated engines could be at the end of their useful lives. 

900HP is a mind boggling HP number. In 10 years, roughly the time frame for Porsche to develop their next halo car, do we realistically see Porsche doing a 1000HP+ car? Or will Porsche go in a different direction? Same can be said of Ferrari and McLaren, will they do a 1000HP car in 10 years? Can Ferrari still make a big displacement NA V12 viable in 10 years if the fuel economy standard keep tightening? Will McLaren still be making cars in 10 years?

918, P1, LaFerrari could be the last of the breed. In 10 years time maybe the next generation super car will be an all electric one like Tesla? Still a hybrid but with a much smaller boosted engine? Or it won't have mega top speed but with great aero like the P1? 

I hope on the engine like in my avatar car;)))

--

sportcars-history.com

I think you are on to something Whoopsy.  I doubt that the next 10 years will keep pace with the last.  A change in the direction of performance autos implies that today's top iconic cars will be icons in their own right for a long, long time.

Regardless, it seems sure to me that soon your delivery date will have come and gone, and you will happily be staring at the car in your garage.  Delays will then only be details that add to the pleasure of the emotional memories.

I wish you great satisfaction in your purchase.

Whoopsy:

Yesterday I watched a show about the F35 fighter plane, it got me thinking the 918, is like it. ...

... In 10 years time maybe the next generation super car will be an all electric one like Tesla? Still a hybrid but with a much smaller boosted engine? Or it won't have mega top speed but with great aero like the P1? 

I was kind of hoping that in 10 years the next generation super car would be like an F35.

I'm running out of time waiting for my flying car, so they need to hurry it up.

Don't tell me you have been waiting for a flying car since the 50s haha.

--

So I had some more updates from Porsche as I just got off the phone with them.

Official words still say there is no delay in production, my car is still scheduled to start production this month, but it won't be finished until May. And since it is part of the initial batch, it will be air freighted to me, the rest of the production will go on transport boats.

While it seems extraordinarily long to make a car, 2+ month, but it seems it's because of the time needed for parts production to be ramp up. 

I can also have a chance to do a factory visit to see my car on the floor, but as the timeframe is not precise yet, it will have to wait until later to decide.

--

davew (cincy):

I think you are on to something Whoopsy.  I doubt that the next 10 years will keep pace with the last.  A change in the direction of performance autos implies that today's top iconic cars will be icons in their own right for a long, long time.

Regardless, it seems sure to me that soon your delivery date will have come and gone, and you will happily be staring at the car in your garage.  Delays will then only be details that add to the pleasure of the emotional memories.

I wish you great satisfaction in your purchase.

Thank you.

The pace is impossible to keep up. 918 has just about 50% more HP than the CGT, but pretty much all of that came from the hybrid drivetrain, the gas engine output is just about the same, but with much higher efficiency.

--

I think you'll see a continuing decrease in weight while an increase in rigidity and safety, allowing a smaller horsepower engine to stay equally as fast. 

There is little reason other than cost why many cars are as heavy as they are.

In 25 years will we see a graphene honeycomb chassis which is also used as a battery/supercapacitor linked to a small, efficient turbine with an electric motor for each wheel? Exceptional stiffness of chassis along with independent wheel/hub assemblies with brake regeneration predominantly dealt with through the electric motor of the wheel and suspension built into the hub. That would give you modularity, exceptional traction control, 4-wheel steering. The chassis would hold more energy storage than any EV currently out there and the small turbine, isolated from the rest of the car and running at peak efficiency regardless of car speed would provide all the extra power needed.

A 1,500 lbs car with a 150bhp electric motor at each wheel? Plenty fast to me. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Whoopsy:

Don't tell me you have been waiting for a flying car since the 50s haha.

Well... not exactly.

Don't keep your hopes up, with Americans being the worst drivers on road behind the Chinese,and Indians, it will like raining car parts and body parts every minute.

It will never happen in our life time in the USA. If your fellow drivers can't even observe simple signs on the road, what makes you think they will survive in the air with no signs haha.

--

Whoopsy:

Don't keep your hopes up, with Americans being the worst drivers on road behind the Chinese,and Indians, it will like raining car parts and body parts every minute.

It will never happen in our life time in the USA. If your fellow drivers can't even observe simple signs on the road, what makes you think they will survive in the air with no signs haha.

I just moved from Wisconsin to Kentucky a few months ago, and the drivers here are TERRIBLE. My insurance DOUBLED because of how awful they are.
    --

Ouch, even farther away, now you will drive a few hrs more in a Canucks jersey to get here haha

--

Whoopsy:

No, I don't imagine most drivers could handle 3D driving when they have so much trouble with 2D driving.

Adam R:

I just moved from Wisconsin to Kentucky a few months ago, and the drivers here are TERRIBLE. My insurance DOUBLED because of how awful they are.

That might also be because Kentucky has more uninsured and/or underinsured drivers than Wisconsin.

wasn't one of you guys that linked to this article about the issues on the F35 program? I wouldn't want to have any development program compared to it. 

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2013/09/joint-strike-fighter-lockheed-martin

Whoopsy:

Nope. It seems the production has been delayed again. Read else where that rumour has it Porsche will start production in March, after slipping from last September to January to February.

I had asked about the exact production timeframe of my car as I wanted to have a factory visit to see it on the production line, that request has sunk down an abyss. There was no reply from Porsche.  I had 3 trips on hold pending the delivery time, as I had agreed to let the dealer hold a 918 party using my car when it arrives and before I take delivery.

I have a date for a factory tour end of march, but the "918 Manufaktur" is not included...Smiley

BlueflameSmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690733 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409924 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256111 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235355 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65730 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858671 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774884 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM