Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Whoopsy:

There is really no logic to buying this car, it was simply a case of my right brain utterly dominated my left, logics be damn. The last words from my left brain was I will be proud when I pull up beside a Prius. 

Now the wait begins.

Congratulations Whoopsy!  Smiley

Chris Harris just drove the latest and closed to production ready 918 spyder and he was impressed.

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu_GezgxQ4o

He wishes the battery stuff would be excluded, but he is mighty impressed with the car already despite still being calibrated for production sales..

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather (Canada)
    1991 BMW 318i Brilliantrot/Black Leather (Germany)

Ex: '89 525i, '74 280E, '87 325is, '86 325e, '05 FF, '85.5 944

Had they taken out the battery stuff I may not buy the car, that technology is what draws me.  P1 and LaFerrari lacks this crucial mode and it's their big mistake.

It's my BIG GUN against eco snobs. I can drive around in pure electric mode in town if I want to, outside of a Tesla or a Nissan Leaf, no one is really 'greener'. A Prius? I stand shoulder to shoulder. Volt? same thing. The car itself is a big STFU to them. Plus, the 918 will be a million times more fun to drive. I also knows I will win the 'smallest dick' contest, there will be 1 other which be driven very lightly in town, 1 LaFerrari which I know will be parked and not driven and quite possibly 0 P1 as they still haven't sold one here. I will not run into another equal or higher ranked car on the street period. Gonna be a good feeling wiping the smirk off the face of the kids in their Aventadors. 

There are more features of the car that I liked over the other 2. The 'smoke stack' exhaust is one of them, with the outlet so close to the cockpit hence my ears, it should sounds wonderful. 

But one important feature I still have no confirmation of. Wonder if they will put in a cup holder somewhere in the car. 

Whoopsy:

There are more features of the car that I liked over the other 2. The 'smoke stack' exhaust is one of them, with the outlet so close to the cockpit hence my ears, it should sounds wonderful. 

I think one of the greatest features vis a vis the LaF and P1 that no one is talking about = its a Spyder - how great is it to have that option on a sunny day - with a full carbon tub that loses none of the torsional stiffness by being a Spyder!!!!!

bhnyc:
    Whoopsy:

I think one of the greatest features vis a vis the LaF and P1 that no one is talking about = its a Spyder - how great is it to have that option on a sunny day - with a full carbon tub that loses none of the torsional stiffness by being a Spyder!!!!!

Well said! Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

bhnyc:
    Whoopsy:

Smiley That's also one of the best features, kinda over looked as CGT already has that. Hard top roof panels so in effect it has best of both world. 

Congrats Whoopsy Smiley

Anyway being 6 seconds slower to 300Kph than P1 and 8sec than LaFerrari tells something about weight/performance!

I really dont understand Porsche marketing strategy. When the P1 and LaFerrari were launched is was like a bomb news, few pics of prototypes were shown before the launch, and very few tech specs came to general public, only selected and private presentations were made few days before the official launch. Porsche didnt release this car yet, and still we know more about it  than we know about technical specifications of the new Turbo S Smiley

The car is shown to press totally nacked without any camoSmiley Smileythere's no surprise left, no impact to be felt, zero drama when it will be released to public!!!!! What is going on here!!!, Am I the only one who thinks they went crazy with this abnormal strategy!!! 

J.Seven

I think it has to do wiith the financing maybe?

They introduced the concept out of the blue, got a lot of interest and downpayments, which may have helped financing the final development programme.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:

I think it has to do wiith the financing maybe?

They introduced the concept out of the blue, got a lot of interest and downpayments, which may have helped financing the final development programme.

Possibly yes! 918 project is much more expensive that P1 and LF I believe. Imagine, they have built 25 8 mil doll protorypes + R&D + Stuff (developers and drives for all these 25 cars). P1 on the contrary is the MP4-12C with electro engine and aero gizmos. Everything else was taken from fellow model and adapted. Adaptation is much much cheaper than creating from 0. LaFerrari shares the same engine with gizmos from 2005's times. Also you can see how many interior details it shares with other models. It was much cheaper to build that car.

Porsche in other way created a totally new car, development time was much longer! The only few things are shared from other cars - adapted gearbox and brakes. Totally new bespoke engine that is used only on this car, the most complicated hybrid system, totally new chassis and interior and etc. I think we start to forget that supercar, historically, is a totally bespoke car with very minor sharings. That was so with all previous porsche, ferrari, mclaren and other manufacturers supercars. Now - only porsche has saved this tradition - to build bespoke supercars.

There is the finest example of economy on development: LaF and F12 intakes

--

sportcars-history.com

918 for me over the two, any time of the day. To begin with, it is not much heavier than the two as many people think, the P1 weighs 1500 Kg and we have no data about LaFerrari. Second, it is more beautiful than both imo, it looks soooo good and reminds me a lot of old classic Porsches. It is a spyder, can run 30 km on electric alone, on par with the other two in performance, I think we'll see even better specs in Frankfurt and the price is the icing on the cake, much cheaper than either.

Porsche 918 Spyder: First drive by Top Gear...

There's nothing like a bit of needle from the opposition. In the face of the astounding outputs now announced by the rivals McLaren P1 and LaFerrari, Porsche has found some more poke from the race-bred V8 engine in the 918 Spyder. It has also juiced-up the electrical systems. Result, it's now rated at a total 887bhp, almost 100bhp up from the original expectation.

That's 608bhp from the engine, 149 from the rear electric motor and 129 from the front one. Meanwhile, the weight has been cut, to 1640kg in this production-intent prototype, thanks to the kg-shaving 'Weissach Pack'.

The rest is as we've reported before. Which, because of the 4WD as well as the plug-in hybrid system and four-wheel steering, makes it the most complicated car I can think of.

But right now, strapped in, behind the wheel and pushing the throttle on the corner that flows into the straight at Porsche's Leipzig track, I'm occupied not with complication but with acceleration.

Of a pure and savage kind. The zero-to-125mph number is under eight seconds. That's a whole second better than Porsche's original prediction. The flat-crank V8 jettisons its exhaust from a pair of upward-aiming pipes just behind your head. It's hollow and gutteral at low revs, then yowls with primal urgency as it approaches the 9150rpm limit. It makes 132bhp per litre, by the way. Without a turbo or supercharger in sight.

Such a revvy engine would normally leave you with a torque hole, but the 918's electric motors, which do their best work at low revs, come to its aid. With the electric and combustion combination, there's torque everywhere, right round the rev dial. By say 4000rpm, it's already generating huge acceleration, so that downshifts something you do out of pleasure rather than obligation.

Here we get into an unsung benefit of the hybrid powertrain. Sure you could get this sort of any-gear thrust out of a turbo engine, but it would give you lag. Or you could use a massive N/A engine. But then it wouldn't rev.

The 918 is an utterly distinctive experience, a car that always answers the call of your throttle foot, almost before you've even asked. This has a slightly odd effect. Because it's never lethargic, its colossal energy is slightly disguised. The 918 also has slip-free 4WD traction out of slow bends, again reducing the drama.

I should have paid more attention to this. In my first laps in the 918, squally rain has been sheeting down and the track, like the Tory consensus on the EU, has just turned treacherously slippery. I come out of the slow bend before the pit straight. I nail it, and the 918 catapults down the straight. Deceived by its disdainfully effective speed, I'm bearing down on the soaking-wet 180-right at the end of the straight far faster than I meant to.

I assess the size of the run-off area, and contemplate the end of my career in testing other peoples' expensive cars. (With the Weissach pack the price is around £726,000, but they say this prototype cost nearer £3 million to build.) Still under brakes, I turn the wheel. In we go. Out comes the tail. Too late in the day, I feather the brakes and administer ashabbily gauged dose opposite lock.

The 918 saves me. No idea exactly how. But it's a combination of the following. A very low centre of gravity, and good suspension geometry, and an ultra-stiff all-carbon structure. The fundamentals, in other words, are right. Then the clever bits: a stability system that corrals the efforts of three other systems: front-rear torque vectoring via the electric motors, an electronically controlled rear diff, and finally four-wheel steering like on the new 911 turbo and GT3.

And so on we go. It turns out that in the wet the 918 is a bit of a hilarious skid-bunny, sliding out of corners as well as in, but always giving you a helping hand. What's remarkable is how Porsche has managed to integrate all these complex systems. Remember, there's a petrol engine, in tandem with an electric motor, and they both drive through a seven-speed transmission. At the other end of the car another electric motor with a single-speed transmission. Just imagine the processing task, to control all three of them and produce a seamless and natural result.

Later, I do some dry laps. Now it's all about agility and epic grip, and the way the steering feels as you nudge the edge of it. In a long bend you get no oversteer, just a widening of the line at the limit. You can cancel that by a slight lift, and then more power if you want. You never really feel pitch or roll. It's an immensely friendly car when it's being worked hard. Much more so than the Carrera GT.

It's not perfect. The brakes have a special blending valve in them. If the battery isn't fully charged, the motors are reversed to give 0.5g of regenerative braking, which is far more than any electric or hybrid car I've driven before. Beyond 0.5g the wheels brakes, carbon discs, come into play. If the battery is full then the discs do all the work. But the pedal feel is a bit unpredictable. The engineers know it and say it'll get better. The purpose of such strong regen braking, of course, is to harvest more free energy, and offer a KERS boost for longer. It's done the Nordschleife in 7'14".

If you don't spend the efficiency of the hybrid/KERS system on banzai acceleration, you can spend it on reduced fuel consumption. Switch to 'hybrid' mode and the engine cuts in and out, and the gearchanges are managed automatically. The engine, when running, is used both to drive the rear wheels and charge the battery. Another bewilderingly complicated task for the control units, again handled smoothly.

Finally, there's pure electric mode. The battery can be charged from a special wall-box in under half an hour, which will give you about 15-20 miles e-drive. In that mode you've got 268 horsepower, distributed between four wheels. It's a smooth, brisk and relatively silent mode, and offers 0-60 in about eight seconds. Mind you as with all electric cars the poke mostly makes itself felt in low-speed acceleration. Beyond about 60mph it's tailing off. Even in e-mode, if you floor the throttle the car assumes you want more, so the V8 instantly starts and chimes in.

E-mode is hardly sporty. It's possible in future it'll get you into city centres where combustion cars are banned. But basically e-mode is a sideshow, a hack to get headline-grabbing CO2 numbers, and a by-product of having the electric motors on board to improve the car's dynamics when the V8 is running.

It might be wider than even a Cayenne, lower than a serpent and hard to get into, and it might have such poor rear vision that it really does need the standard rear-view camera, but actually the 918 is not generally intimidating. For instance, forward and lateral vision is good. You sit fairly upright, and the screen pillars are thin and well back. Plus the lovely curve of the front wings swell up into your field of view, so you get a strong sense of the car's size and position whether you're manoeuvring it or aiming it at an apex. The cockpit design is sensible, too. It even runs a brand-new navi-comms-entertainment system, with a lovely swipeable, touch-to-drag, pinch-to-zoom screen.

In fact Porsche is making quite a big deal of the 918's practicality. It's comfy enough, it's got this great infotainment interface, and it's got an easily removable roof. It's even got a cup-holder. The e-mode makes it stealthy when that's what you want. The 4WD makes it good in the rain.

But of course they would say that, now that they know the McLaren and Ferrari are madder and faster. The 918 is without question an utterly fascinating science project. But the question is, how sensible must an insane hypercar be?

Porsche 918 Spyder: First drive by Top Gear -- Article Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

J.Seven:

Congrats Whoopsy Smiley

Anyway being 6 seconds slower to 300Kph than P1 and 8sec than LaFerrari tells something about weight/performance!

I really dont understand Porsche marketing strategy. When the P1 and LaFerrari were launched is was like a bomb news, few pics of prototypes were shown before the launch, and very few tech specs came to general public, only selected and private presentations were made few days before the official launch. Porsche didnt release this car yet, and still we know more about it  than we know about technical specifications of the new Turbo S Smiley

The car is shown to press totally nacked without any camoSmiley Smileythere's no surprise left, no impact to be felt, zero drama when it will be released to public!!!!! What is going on here!!!, Am I the only one who thinks they went crazy with this abnormal strategy!!! 

J.Seven

Fiutch posted that Porsche needs to undertake a massive marketing campaign upfront to find customers (the car is presumably undersold) unlike Ferrari, whose LaFerrari was sold out before it was unveiled.

2013 Porsche 918 Spyder review by Evo magazine...

By Richard Meaden (May 2013)

What is it?

The new Porsche 918 Spyder. On the face of it, it’s Porsche’s answer to the McLaren P1 and LaFerrari, but the boffins from Stuttgart clearly believe it’s a much more complete car, thanks to a true hybrid petrol-electric drivetrain and greater concessions to everyday use. It even has cupholders!

Technical highlights?

There's a full carbon chassis and a fabulous high-revving 4.6-litre V8 derived from Porsche LMP2 programme, but re-engineered for durability and tractability, yet still capable of producing 612bhp at 8600rpm. The redline is 9150rpm. In addition the hybrid electric motors contribute a further 270bhp, bringing the 918’s total combined power output to 875bhp. Power and torque are distributed via all four wheels (petrol motor through the rear axle, a pair of electric motors through the front and rear axles) and the latest generation PDK transmission offers remarkable shift times as quick as 0.05sec.

Attention to weight saving is borderline OCD, but then is has to be with the battery packs and motors weighing hundreds of kilos. A ‘Weissach Pack’ shaves 40kg by use of magnesium wheels and a body wrap instead of paint, but there’s no denying 1640kg remains heavy for a hypercar (the old Porsche Carrera GT was 1380kg). Aerodynamics are also critical, both for generating downforce (though nothing like the crazy McLaren P1) and also for reducing drag to increase efficiency. Intakes open and close automatically and the rear wing is busy raising, lowering and altering its angle of attack.

There’s also a rotary ‘Map’ switch located on the steering wheel for selecting the five driving modes – E-Power, Hybrid, Sport Hybrid, Race Hybrid and Hot Lap – which control the full spectrum of the Spyder’s performance, from electric-only to full-beans. 

What’s it like to drive?

You start the Spyder with a key, but there’s no sound for it always moves away on battery power alone. The Spyder will run for 20 miles like this, but use the last bit of the throttle’s travel and, much like kickdown in a conventional automatic car, the V8 awakens, at which point you’re in Hybrid mode. The systems are impressively integrated; apart from the very obvious – and welcome – noise from the V8, you’re unaware of what contribution the batteries are making to your progress, just that the car shifts with the ease and muscularity of a car with a big, torquey engine. Each turn of the Map switch awakens and intensifies the Spyder, sharpening throttle maps and shift times as normal, but also giving more (and more) of the battery power more of the time.

The steering is immediately impressive. It’s quick, but not unnaturally so, the rate of response matching your expectations perfectly. There’s abundant grip and an encouraging balance, with just enough body roll to know how hard you can lean on the front-end, but not so much as to diminish the sense of flat cornering. When it does slide it does so like a rear-drive car, so again feels natural.

Of course it’s a hugely rapid machine – Porsche claims 0-62mph in 2.8sec, 0-124mph in 7.9sec and 0-186mph in 23sec - but for a car that has the best part of 900bhp and more than 900lb ft of torque it doesn’t feel crazy-fast. Bluntly, if Ferrari and McLaren deliver on their promises a 918 Spyder won’t know which way they went.

There are shades of 458 and MP4-12C about the V8’s sound and response, but when you really stretch it this motor is sharper and even more feral. It sounds mighty, too, thanks to a huge amount of work on the top-exit exhaust system. Coupled to the latest generation PDK transmission it makes for a searing race car-like experience.

The one area that really does need work is braking. There’s a disconcerting non-linearity to the retardation and pedal feel when braking from high speed into a tight corner. It’s all to do with the regenerative braking system and how it harvests energy, and Porsche’s engineers know it’s an area they need to improve before the car enters production.

How does it compare?

In Top Trumps terms, not brilliantly. Both the LaFerrari and McLaren P1 boast far greater performance, thanks to less weight and more power. 

Porsche would contend the Spyder is a much more complete vehicle: one that functions as a true plug-in hybrid (you can fully juice-up the batteries in 25 minutes using Porsche’s bespoke high-speed charger) and is as refined and capable as a Cayman or 911. We’ll drive the finished 918 later this year. Whether we ever get 918, P1 and LaFerrari together for the group test of the year remains to be seen.

Anything else I need to know?

There’s a Hot Lap mode, which draws 20 per cent more power from the batteries (90 per cent of total power) for all-out performance. It also sends more energy to the LED headlights, making them more intense for qualifying lap get-out-of-my-way attitude. We kid you not...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Whoopsy you have a cup holder! I'll bet the LaFerrari and P1 don't.

--

@ whoopsy - 1 interesting thing from the videos (particularly Chris Harris).  The battery packs look module, the guess is as batter technology becomes lighter and more powerful, Porsche will be able to swap out the old modular battery packs for new lighter and more powerful ones - as a result the 918 will evolve to be a better performing car.  

I think Mclaren will do the same (I expect they could get a lot more power out of that engine through the turbos) and the batter, whereas I don't see LaF being able to do the same as the battery pack is integrated and not as great an amount of power.  Plus I guess (and probably the least qualified person to guess) that the N/A V12 is maxed out for power

Just more to look forward to on your great purchase

While I am not a huge fan of the P1, I would like to read more about it.  I am very interested by the 600 kg of downforce - i almost feel like it is a mistake when I write that number!!! Anyway, we are in a world of technology and I think all these car makers are pushing the envelop - too bad the designer was blind when he designed the front the P1

bhnyc:

While I am not a huge fan of the P1, I would like to read more about it.  I am very interested by the 600 kg of downforce - i almost feel like it is a mistake when I write that number!!! Anyway, we are in a world of technology and I think all these car makers are pushing the envelop - too bad the designer was blind when he designed the front the P1

Old techs were fun too))) Some 1993 sportprototypes were able to generate 4,5 tons on wheels at 200 mph.Smiley Even todays F1 are not able to do that. Sorry for offtop)))

--

sportcars-history.com

I was told Porsche initially had asked for 200k initial deposit when people sign up the letter of intent, they have 60 days to cool off and after that has passed another 200k deposit. The dealers balked at that saying Porsche is basically asking the customers to finance the final part of development. Porsche backed off their plan and just 200k deposit is enough. The last number I heard was Porsche had about 450 orders, that's 90mil towards their development.

While it is in the same class as the P1 and LaFerrari, I don't think the intent was the same. LaFerrari was designed to be a collector car as usual with Ferrari, no one is going to drive that car much. The P1 in a way is also a collector car, but a bit more practical. But customers are expecting a F1 like car, not a souped up MP4-12C, that's why McLaren is still having trouble meeting their sales target 375. My 12C is like 80% of the P1 yet 1/3 of the cost, why bother.

Seems like Porsche designed the 918 to be a everyday car, more so than the CGT. Porsche anticipated owners will drive their cars hence it's much more fully equipped. I can totally see myself driving it everyday if I want to, like my 12C.  I already fully expect the car will not appreciate, which is totally fine with me as I know I can drive it more. 

@bhnyc: the battery pack is also installed beneath the gas tank, easy access from the bottom, I suspect the same thing. But Porsche never continue the development of the CGT, I wonder if they would this time.

@Nick, P1 do have a cup holder, actually it has 3!!. 2 beneath the flybridge and 1 by the elbow in the center console. In the 918, the space beneath the flybridge looks closed off, wonder if Porsche will change the final design to be more like the P1. I want a space for my Starbucks haha. Plus, cupholders are good spot to put the cellphone.

Is the deposit refundable?

Assume it is until a deadline date.

--

I have a friend who often leases his high end cars.  After three years or so, he turns it back in, and protects himself if the car has depreciated.  (He has purchased the cars as well, but had a bad experience with a McLaren SLR which he sold at a badly depreciated price).  

Whoopsy, in Geneva i spent considerable time in the cockpit of the P1.  It is sparse and tight, and made me feel quite claustrophobic.  While I have sat only in an early 918 prototype, and have seen only the recent pics like above, I can say that the 918 is far more comfortably appointed and could more readily be a more everyday car.

Also,  bet on Porsche to provide a true--and even a superior competitor --in this rarified space.  And also remember that Porsche has never intended to have an Enzo/laFerrari competitor.  Finally, when a customer confronts the fish or cut bait decision time between a 918 or a P1, I would bet that customer would go for the 918.  Better price, better company, better dealer service, better all around. 

I really like the 918. The problem is the price. Most expected the car to be in the $600k range. So Porsche is struggling to sell it now. Within 3 years, I predict used cars will be in the $500k range resulting in steep depreciation. Same for the P1. The Ferrari however will not loose money...

Wonderbar:

Better price, better company, better dealer service, better all around. 

Excellent points!kiss

That said, I have two serious concerns. 

First, from a styling standpoint the 918 does not exude super exotic sport car. I know that taste is subjective but honestly if you park the LaFerrari, P! and 918 side by side the 918 would disappear. It just does not come across as one of a kind unique premium sport car.

Second, is the number produced and the fact over half are unsubcribed. Now Porsche believes it will sell all of them. But if in September 2013 when they start deliveries and the 918's are no where near sold out then buyers may put theirs on the market to avoid historic depreciation.

--

Nick, some thoughts about your two points regarding 918 design and depreciation.

On design, the Ferrari is over designed in my opinion, just as the Enzo was, and certainly just as the new Lambo Veneno is.  The 918 is consistent with Porsche's design/racing history, and that is, in the long run, a good thing.  People can recognize a 904, 906, 917 etc., in its genes.  Over time, Porsche's design philosophy has paid off.  

But i understand the lack of "design flair" in the 918, and that will cost it some points in the press, with amateur car freaks, and maybe some customers.  The main objection in my view is that the 918 looks bulky, heavy, even outdated (certainly as compared to the "shrink wrapped" racy look of the P1).  (Much like the Veyron looks heavy}. Maybe some of my impression is based on existing camouflaging, but I doubt is will ever look as "light" as the P1.  The Ferrari actually looks huge in reality, so the comparison is not as abrupt.  I hope that the final 918 will look cleaner and lighter than the prototypes. 

On depreciation, my guess is that Porsche will cut back on the total production numbers if the car remains undersubscribed.  Customers with existing cars will benefit from the reduced numbers.  Porsche may have made a mistake announcing such a large number, but there is probably a back up plan (at least i hope Porsche learned from the Carrera GT).  Depreciation/appreciation is a result of numerous unpredictable factors, but rarity is certainly a major component.

Whoopsy, I assume you are not considering a GT3, because i know that 918 customers are getting priority on GT3 orders...

nberry:
    Wonderbar:

Better price, better company, better dealer service, better all around. 

Excellent points!kiss

That said, I have two serious concerns. 

First, from a styling standpoint the 918 does not exude super exotic sport car. I know that taste is subjective but honestly if you park the LaFerrari, P! and 918 side by side the 918 would disappear. It just does not come across as one of a kind unique premium sport car.

Second, is the number produced and the fact over half are unsubcribed. Now Porsche believes it will sell all of them. But if in September 2013 when they start deliveries and the 918's are no where near sold out then buyers may put theirs on the market to avoid historic depreciation.

If you call Ice Cube and Ritchie Blackmore to stay nearby the market, I believe Blackmore has a risk to dissapear. But is a Ritchie Blackmore is a worse musician?...NoSmiley Clearly he is one of the best guitar players. The same will be with selling tickets on piano concert by Pletnev or pop concert by Madonna. Most will go to Madonna. Same with LaFerrari, among the mass it will be more noticeable, but among guru - 918. Smiley

--

sportcars-history.com

Those on the GT3 list will not lose their standing on the list should a 918 buyer choose to buy the 991GT3. My understanding is Porsche will build extra cars to meet the demand by 918 buyers for the GT3.

FWIW, why a 918 buyer would want a GT3 is beyond my comprehension. The two cars were jointly built (the teams worked together). I suspect but for the power and electric operation, the driving characteristics of the cars will be similar.

--

Now that I think more about it, the 918 might set new record in term of real $ depreciation (not % of course).

Nick, I agree about the 918 buyer not wanting/needing a GT3.  While in Geneva, at the GT3 introduction, a friend (a 918 buyer) received an e-mail offering him an early GT3.  He laughed it off, as he had no interest whatsoever.  But he would have considered an early new Turbo.  I know Porsche must know its demographic niches well, but it seems to me that the 918 buyer and the GT3 buyer are much different.  

Wonder how many Carrera GT buyers opted for the 997 Turbo package that was offered then?

Nick is correct. If I were to buy a GT3, my car will not count towards the dealer's allocation, it will be a so called 'bonus' car. But my understanding is that 'bonus' car will count towards the following year's allocations. Say my dealer has 3 cars this year, then I take another, that means the following year they can have like 4 cars. 

The other 918 buyer here had his deposit down like 2 years ago. He also bought the Spyder Edition Turbo S last year.  Maybe I will ask Porsche to send me the stickers and badges so I can retrofit my Turbo S as a Spyder Edition too haha.

Exterior design of the 918 is way more conservative than the P1 and LaFerrari, about the only outrageous feature is the smoke stack exhaust, a one up on the McLaren high mount central exhaust. LaFerrari's conventional quad outlet down low is so yester-years compared with the competitions. 

As for the P1 interior, apart from the matted carbon finish, it's basically the same as the one in my 12C, saved for a digital gauge cluster. The wheel has a couple more fancy buttons and that's about it. 

McLaren is a small manufacturer, so one can understand why it want to soup up a 12C instead of a ground up design for the P1, but I still can't understand why Ferrari would recycle old parts and wrap a new body over it for their new halo car.  Is it that much to ask for a new bespoke engine?  Or do they really want to squeeze as much profit from their loyal customers as possible? While the 918's V8 is not a really a 'bespoke' one, it's at least a further development of the RS Spyder racing engine, not a recycled road car engine. Pretty much every part on the 918 is brand new, heard even a lot of the fasteners are a lighter weight redesign. So Porsche at least made a sincere effort to design a 'bespoke' car for their customers. That's something I truly valued and good enough justification to pay so much for such a car even when it's the cheapest by a mile among the 3.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689815 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409364 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255811 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235038 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65559 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858122 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774215 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM