Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

We arrived at Munich now, stopped off in Ingolstadt to visit Audi Museum and did a factory tour earlier. So basically we put about 450km on it already.

One thing that's lovely on the Autobahn, people just KNOWS to move over when there is a Porsche coming in hot. Except those with the yellow NL plates mail Hell I don't think they ever check their mirrors, either they stayed at the passing lane or just switch over without checking if there is someone coming, I am not talking about a single incident, but 12 times on the trip south. 

Drove though rain, hail and snow, plus some sunny sections. Car is not very table in cross wind, a bit disappointed when I compared it with the GT3RS. But the engine is great, 6th gear has great pulling power when passing. Didn't push it too hard, still short shifting and only touches around 210km/hr, got winter tires on with a warming sticker that say stays below 240km/hr. But pretty sure it likes doing 200km/hr all day long.

I think we wasn't too welcome in Ingolstadt, we were trying to find our way around the plant and get honked on a few times by Audi drivers laugh Didn't help that I tried to park the 911R in front of the Audi Forum and take a picture, wasn't successful as the security was very efficient in getting me to get off the plaza haha. Those Germans have no sense of humour!

But wow, the Audi complex in Ingolstadt was IMPRESSIVELY BIG! They say it was basically the size of Monaco. 43,000 people are working there. My first impression was that it was just like the Porsche plant in Leipzig, except much much bigger.

We will be visiting BMW tomorrow. 

--

Whoopsy:

Car is not very table in cross wind, a bit disappointed when I compared it with the GT3RS.

You are missing a big wing, that's why.

Don't worry, very easy to fix.Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

IMG_2751.JPG
    IMG_2750.JPG

--

great to see it warmed up, do as much as 200 + km/h as possible, you won't be able to do it over here. even with winter tyres is sexy 

you've got a lot of luggage in the car...wont help handling for sure. maybe that's why id don't feel as stable in crosswinds ?

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

The rare 911 with a manual and finally not a boring white car with green or red stripes kiss

How does the manual feel compared to PDK in the GT3 RS ? fun vs boring ? smiley

Hate the turbo s wheels enlightened I know, winter tires are mandatory at the moment mail

What a trip Whoopsy! kiss Love it! Using the car properly! wink

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Putting the yellow R on the car after taking delivery is brilliant beyond words!  Adding something exclusive won't provide and making it stock - priceless for a car like this if done in good taste. 

Make no mistake though. The marketing department is aware of buyers with outlandish requests. They also know that doing the seemingly impossible for a wealthy customer has its long term rewards. More so if the customer needs to feel like there is extra special treatment. It is smart business and from Nicks perspective that is what he, as an outstanding business, man leverages to put an awesome yellow R on AND make extra profit.   👏 

Thanks for sharing your tip with us Nick, this kind of posts are among the most enjoyable on Rennteam.  I am particularly interested if you like the car "more" than expected, since I was under the impression that you were not overly enthusiastic about it not minding much about manual gearbox, and how you like it vs the GT3 RS which may have been your favorite sportscar.

Honestly, the R rides better for the street, the rear view is better without the big wing compared with a GT3RS.

I will reserve final judgement on the R until I get a chance to drive my 3.6 first.

But first impression is actually not good. Yes the 6-speed is nice, the car is understated, at least in my config, but the auto rev match is like cheating, a manual car has no place on roads with traffic (I was stuck in Munich traffic for 30 mins). The car is also missing a manual hand brake if it is with a manual transmission. 

On the open road, the car is fine, do love the fact that I am choosing the gear myself, and it makes the right sound, one of the greatest 911 sound ever. For the 991 range, I have driven the C2S, C4S, Turbo, Turbo S, GT3RS and now the R, the best among the range is still the Turbo S. It just the perfect all around car. I can put it in manual to select my own gear, it has great traction no matter the weather, it will hold its own against just about anything on a track, and on street road it basically has no equals. Even on mountain switchbacks, the damn thing just EXPLODES from corner to corner, and the car is so controllable that I am not even afraid to hang the tail out on those Alpine hairpins. 

GT3RS great on the track, no one will dispute it, it also make the greatest sound, like the R, but it just missing that tiny bit of agility out of corners, no matter what gear I leave it in, it still lacks the torque to explode on corner exits like the Turbo S. 

The R tried to go back to old school, to the old days of manual NA 911s, but it's missing the 'effort level'. One has to work to enjoy fully an old 911, but the R make it look easy but at the same time takes away the joy of 'taming' a 911. 

Sunday I wil take it through the alpine passes I did with a Turbo S last Sept, so I will have a good comparison that's for sure.

--

Nick, I among many over here are willing to get the feedback on 3.6Turbo, the way you drive it and specially on area27

Whoopsy:

Honestly, the R rides better for the street, the rear view is better without the big wing compared with a GT3RS.

I will reserve final judgement on the R until I get a chance to drive my 3.6 first.

But first impression is actually not good. Yes the 6-speed is nice, the car is understated, at least in my config, but the auto rev match is like cheating, a manual car has no place on roads with traffic (I was stuck in Munich traffic for 30 mins). The car is also missing a manual hand brake if it is with a manual transmission. 

On the open road, the car is fine, do love the fact that I am choosing the gear myself, and it makes the right sound, one of the greatest 911 sound ever. For the 991 range, I have driven the C2S, C4S, Turbo, Turbo S, GT3RS and now the R, the best among the range is still the Turbo S. It just the perfect all around car. I can put it in manual to select my own gear, it has great traction no matter the weather, it will hold its own against just about anything on a track, and on street road it basically has no equals. Even on mountain switchbacks, the damn thing just EXPLODES from corner to corner, and the car is so controllable that I am not even afraid to hang the tail out on those Alpine hairpins. 

GT3RS great on the track, no one will dispute it, it also make the greatest sound, like the R, but it just missing that tiny bit of agility out of corners, no matter what gear I leave it in, it still lacks the torque to explode on corner exits like the Turbo S. 

The R tried to go back to old school, to the old days of manual NA 911s, but it's missing the 'effort level'. One has to work to enjoy fully an old 911, but the R make it look easy but at the same time takes away the joy of 'taming' a 911. 

Sunday I wil take it through the alpine passes I did with a Turbo S last Sept, so I will have a good comparison that's for sure.

This kind of review is the very best one can happen to read on the Internet. Too few people have the ability/possibility/courage to just describe what a certain car really is, and what not - without looking at etiquette and expectations of "normal" people who just like everything without being able to feel the nuances between A+, A, A- and B Smiley

Dutch writes in a similar way. Just wonderful Smiley

MKSGR:

The Dutch are the ones with the yellow license plate, mentioned by Whoopsy in its post above. Smiley
    I guess you mean Futch. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Very few people on any auto blog have the depth of experience with the various cars Nick and Futch have. We are very fortunate that they post their experience with the multitude of cars they own and those they don't but have access to.

I am only a minnow compared to them but I can say that I agree with Nick's comments regarding the TT. It's a performance beast BUT boring to drive as a DD. Also, I am not surprised by his initial tepid review of the R. The good news is he could flip it and make a handsome profit.kiss

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

Whoopsy:

Yes, but the free revving engine and feedback from the steering more than makes up for it. What is it with everyone and their GT3RS is too stiff/ noisy for the street/ dontt want it on a long journey.  Boo hoo so if you have to keep changing gear manually in city traffic Smiley. I think the technical term for all this moaning  is "bollocks". If I want to float along in comfort I'lll jump in the Wraith. Are you all going saggy bottomed middle aged man on me? I just got out of the LT  - its invigorating, noisy and makes every sinew tingle - that's what a car should do to you. And BTW it still has sat nav/ stereo etc etc. and comfort mode if you need it.

crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

Yes, but the free revving engine and feedback from the steering more than makes up for it. What is it with everyone and their GT3RS is too stiff/ noisy for the street/ dontt want it on a long journey.  Boo hoo so if you have to keep changing gear manually in city traffic Smiley. I think the technical term for all this moaning  is "bollocks". If I want to float along in comfort I'lll jump in the Wraith. Are you all going saggy bottomed middle aged man on me? I just got out of the LT  - its invigorating, noisy and makes every sinew tingle - that's what a car should do to you. And BTW it still has sat nav/ stereo etc etc. and comfort mode if you need it.

MY bad, I forgot about your garage.Smiley We are fortunate to have you as well.Smiley

That said, changing gears in traffic sucks.Smiley

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

nberry:

MY bad, I forgot about your garage.Smiley We are fortunate to have you as well.Smiley

No problem Smiley - that's not what precipitated my little rant. Its more to do with a number of threads on Rennteam recently bemoaning noisy/ stiff cars etc etc. There is no doubt in my mind either that the 911 Turbo S is the most "complete" car in the world but I would not for a millisecond prefer it over a GT3RS/ LT/  Speciale.

crayphile:
    Rennteam recently bemoaning noisy/ stiff cars etc etc. There is no doubt in my mind either that the 911 Turbo S is the most "complete" car in the world but I would not for a millisecond prefer it over a GT3RS/ LT/  Speciale.

Agree with you, but each car in our garages serves a different purpose.  I never believe in one car that can do it all.  For long distance highway driving in rainy weather, then definitely pick Turbo S over any GT3RS.  But in heavy snow, I need my Cayenne Turbo with snow tires.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Loud cars are overrated and exhaust never sounds anywhere near as good inside the cabin as it does out. Sign me up for the first EV exotic.

I think the suspension on most exotics is fine though. Just leave it in comfort and it's totally fine. Seats are a bigger issue. Some look great and are terrible on the back for long rides.

nberry:
    crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

Smiley Smiley Smiley Indeed, crayphile has a dream garage too and is focus on driving all of them properly.

--

J.Seven

Rossi:
    MKSGR:

The Dutch are the ones with the yellow license plate, mentioned by Whoopsy in its post above. Smiley
    I guess you mean Futch. Smiley

Smiley

--

J.Seven

What a beautiful 911R , can´t waite to read more of your reports Smiley

--

J.Seven

I love driving the "old' ones.....been driving my 1990 964 C2 for the last 19 years.

No problem Smiley - that's not what precipitated my little rant. Its more to do with a number of threads on Rennteam recently bemoaning noisy/ stiff cars etc etc. There is no doubt in my mind either that the 911 Turbo S is the most "complete" car in the world but I would not for a millisecond prefer it over a GT3RS/ LT/  Speciale.

It's not that the GT3 is too harsh for me, it's not powerful and exotic enough (the engine) for such a harsh car :) That's why I am looking forward to the Performante. That engine I am willing to accept in a rawer package. 

Targa Tim:
      I never believe in one car that can do it all.  

Agreed - that's my excuse too SmileySmiley.

nberry:
    crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

Actually you DON'T change gear in traffic, 1st gear all the way Smiley

Oh and the damn single mass is so sensitive! Stall the car 5 times already. 

--

This morning we went to the BMW HQ to see the museum, just missed the factory tour by a day as they are closed for weekends. 

And of course, when we get back to the under ground garage, there are photographers circled around the car. Their lucky day.

After lunch we went out to Tergensee Lake to do some photo shoot. I have a photographer friend who lives in Munich, and we have a spare afternoon. So technically he is the first one to shoot the car, and the only time the car will not be in North America.  https://www.instagram.com/stephan_bauer/

IMG_2779.JPG

IMG_2787.JPG
    IMG_2791.JPG
    IMG_2788.JPG

--

Tomorrow we head over to Italy, probably taking Benner pass, as I was told that's the only one guaranteed to be opened. 

But I sort of know how the 911R will fare. Both the Turbo S and a GT3RS will be better. Only other car that will be better than those 2 will be the 918. All because of the gear box, PDK vs manual in the GT3RS's case, and the torque against the Turbo S and 918. The R simply will not feel agile in those roads. 

In the 911R, it will not be the speed that has the thrills, it will be the effort level. The way one can keep changing gears during the pass. With sports mode on it will be like cheating. With it off then it will be challenge. 

--

If blip mode is cheating then PDK is cheating^2?

wantone:

If blip mode is cheating then PDK is cheating^2?

No, PDK has always been designed as a transmission that does away manual clutch control.

Manual transmission has always designed to be used with a manual clutch control, and with that, also throttle control to use the clutch. With auto blip it takes away the throttle control part, that's why it's called cheating. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688736 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408786 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255563 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234818 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65406 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857653 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773515 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM