Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Super Darius:
    art.italy:

Also remember that on those autostrada with Tutor ( A1 for example)  is better not pass under the cameras at a speed higher than 130 km/h, because you don't know when the system is working or not.

+1

the ones i took are two Tutor...the panel don't tell the speed trap is on...instead they were on,and i win the gift.Smiley

It doesn't seem these Tutor fines arrive abroad? I've happily cruised through Italy at >200km/h, nothing ever arrived in the mail...

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Porker:
    Super Darius:
    art.italy:

Also remember that on those autostrada with Tutor ( A1 for example)  is better not pass under the cameras at a speed higher than 130 km/h, because you don't know when the system is working or not.

+1

the ones i took are two Tutor...the panel don't tell the speed trap is on...instead they were on,and i win the gift.Smiley

It doesn't seem these Tutor fines arrive abroad? I've happily cruised through Italy at >200km/h, nothing ever arrived in the mail...

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

I think too Tutor is a legend....instead it exist...is the third time i have the proof Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Super Darius:
    art.italy:

+1

--

I must of also been very lucky on my last 4 passages 

Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Does Italy even have an exchange program for fines with Switzerland?

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

yes...

and i'm waiting a speed ticket from Chiasso of two weeks ago...i was going at 109km/h with a 100km/h speed limit..i saw the flash...so 'im waiting.

Hope for this year to have no other to pay. Smiley

--

Super Darius:
    RC:

yes...

and i'm waiting a speed ticket from Chiasso of two weeks ago...i was going at 109km/h with a 100km/h speed limit..i saw the flash...so 'im waiting.

This will be CHF 40.- if normal road, CHF 20.- if on highway 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    Super Darius:
    RC:

yes...

highway...before the custom..Smiley

--

Gnil:
    Super Darius:

RC:

yes...

CHF 80.- if Italian number plates 😄
    --

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    Gnil:
    Super Darius:

RC:

yes...

... plus salmon pink surcharge.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    bluelines:
    Gnil:
    Super Darius:

RC:

yes...

... plus salmon pink surcharge.  Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

--

It's ironic that speed monitoring is more prevalent and effective yet car enthusiast demand more power and speed from car manufacturers. How stupid can we be?cheeky

--

One of history's few iron laws is that luxuries tend to become necessities and to spawn new obligations.

RC:
    nberry:

Christian, STOP racing on public streets.SmileySmiley

Nick, this was a completely empty Autobahn (straight) in Austria and I usually do over 260 kph in the SRT on a regular basis in Germany, so this wasn't exactly racing, just accelerating on a straight line. 

That particular Autobahn basically starts from a red light on a country road, this is why we accelerated both so much.

Speed limit in Austria is 130 kph...

Accident free since my 19th birthday (I am 51 now), also zero points on my license so... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I would not take someone who thinks signaling is optional seriously.  Not using a signal is far more dangerous especially if you feel the need to argue it is not important. That says it all. 

nberry:

It's ironic that speed monitoring is more prevalent and effective yet car enthusiast demand more power and speed from car manufacturers. How stupid can we be?cheeky

As long as they signal they are not sooooo stupid. 

nberry:

When drivers continually place more importance on comfort, ease of driving, etc. then it is difficult to provide thrills in any other way.  

For those that actually enjoy driving, could be a good time to look into something light and small as a weekend toy.

vantagesc:
    nberry:

When drivers continually place more importance on comfort, ease of driving, etc. then it is difficult to provide thrills in any other way.  

For those that actually enjoy driving, could be a good time to look into something light and small as a weekend toy.

Such cars don't even need to be especially powerful or fast to be fun.
    --

fritz

vantagesc:
    nberry:

I actually disagreed. My new CTTS got me a lot of thrills, especially during my round trip up to Whistler this morning. It was unbelievably amazing that this brute can be so agile, so rewarding to drive at highly illegal speed. This 'thing' simply defies physics. I shouldn't be able to take corners at those speed yet it made it with ease and no drama.

it was a very different feel for sure when compared with my recent Alps trip driving a 991 Turbo S, we drove really really fast and recklessly, yet completely within the limit of the car. But at the end of each day, no matter how comfortable the adaptive seats are, all of us are dying to stretch out our limps. 

The difference being in the CTTS I am more comfortable, and the car has much more room for anything and at the end of a drive, I am not fatigued in anyway.

--

^ You said it all I think....so rewarding to drive at "highly illegal speed".  And that's kind of the point Nick B is raising.

I too fall victim to usability issues.  I choose to take the GT4 way more than the Lotus.  Lotus you can drive for an hour or two, and then want to get out until next week.  By comparison, the GT4 you can drive and drive and drive without fatigue.  So I totally get you.  For trips, there is no choice but to take GT4.  But the Lotus is the one that is engaging at 3/10ths or 9/10ths.  GT4 needs to be pushed more.

Thankfully, we have fantastic driving roads in Southern California that can be finished in a 2 hour round trip for when I need a more back to basics experience.

nberry:

Nick, I was just reviewing GoPro footage from my trip, you know what, you and ! just happens to live in 2 countries where they feel like motorists are a source of revenue.

The roads I drove in Italy, they are limited, yet we were doing  basically triple the speed limit and feel absolutely safe in the Turbo S. 

Speed limit are just way too low, or the qualification for driver's license is. Public roads are extremely forgiving and safe for above speed limit driving!

--

Whoopsy:

The roads I drove in Italy, they are limited, yet we were doing  basically triple the speed limit and feel absolutely safe in the Turbo S. 

Speed limit are just way too low, or the qualification for driver's license is. Public roads are extremely forgiving and safe for above speed limit driving!

Sorry, but I have to say that it is total bullshit. Sorry. A friend spent several weeks in a hospital because he was hit while doing a bicycle training ride on the of the street you drove in Italy by someone speeding last year. He will never go for a run again. If the road is closed it is easy to go fast. But we have to share the road with old people, children, pedestrians and much more. 

I am very sorry that Porsche does support speeding on a official Porsche tour. 

Speeding kills more people than Syrian refugees ever will. 

(Yes, I did speeding too. But I know it is wrong)

Itsme:
    Whoopsy:

Sorry, but I have to say that it is total bullshit. Sorry. A friend spent several weeks in a hospital because he was hit while doing a bicycle training ride on the of the street you drove in Italy by someone speeding last year. He will never go for a run again. If the road is closed it is easy to go fast. But we have to share the road with old people, children, pedestrians and much more. 

It's a very difficult topic, but I'm with Itsme on this one. Except if Porsche had the road blocked. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    Itsme:

Whoopsy:

It's a very difficult topic, but I'm with Itsme on this one. Except if Porsche had the road blocked. Smiley

+1

Unless those roads were blocked by Porsche then there is no explanation or excuse for driving three times the speed limit. That is beyond irresponsible.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

I drive in Italy (mostly around Lake Garda) a lot and I know the roads there pretty well.

In the small towns there, the speed limit is usually 50 kph, sometimes even 60 kph. This is more than enough, sometimes maybe even too fast since in many towns, there are tourists everywhere and they cross the street like idiots, not even looking for cars or paying attention. If you know how Italian motorcycle and scooter riders are driving, you would pay more attention as a tourist.

Bicycle riders are a huge problem around Lake Garda (or in North Italy in the mountain regions) generally because there are lots of them and they often do not pay attention to traffic and sometimes I even get the feeling they do not care. I am extremely cautious with them because they are often brainless and I do not want to be involved in an accident with some idiots, so I usually pay extra attention to them to be safe.

Believe it or not but on the mountain roads in the video I posted in my R8 thread, the speed limit is usually...100 kph. On some parts of these roads, I drive at 20-30 kph...Italians do not bother to put lower speed signs on roads which are potentially looking/feeling dangerous. I suppose Italians assume that drivers will slow down because it would be just idiotic to drive 100 kph on a road full of sharp turns and with a width which barely fits one car. 

I agree however that sometimes, there is a 100 kph speed limit but the road goes straight up a mountain and you can overlooked everything for at least a mile, so in theory, you could go 200 kph and be safe. Well, I usually count in every possibility, so I keep it around the speed limit to be safe.

There is an exception though: We often had organized drives where a car was driving ahead of us, "clearing" the road.  This actually meant that the car ahead was signaling dangers or obstacles through a two way radio and the car right behind this "clearing" car was always driven by a professional (and by professional I mean F1 quality or similar...I'm not kidding) driver who was also able to spot dangers and signal problems. We were usually a group of ten cars and believe it or not but Italian police saw us all the time, we even had chats with them and we never encountered a problem, also no incidents with bicycles and motorcycles. We once had a motorcycle following our group and this guy was just pure nuts (German license plates), he was putting us all in danger. At some point, the whole group stopped and let him pass. Only problem: He didn't want to pass. So we talked to the guy to piss off and he finally "understood". We lost almost an hour arguing with him why he wasn't welcomed to "join" us. Most importantly, we were concerned with the Hero cam he had on his helmet, you get my point. angry Half of the drivers were well known driving pros, we didn't need any "advertisement" for our fun tour. angry

Yes, speed limits need to be respected but since I didn't join Nick's group, I cannot comment on the roads there and how fast you can be or not. Like I said before, most roads we were driving were limited to 100 kph but most of the time you could be happy to reach that speed because it was way too dangerous to go much faster.

--

Itsme:

Are you sure you and Whoopsy are talking about the same roads? 

Those roads I am usually on when we do our "group drives" are used by cars only (and motorcycles). Sometimes bicycle riders are there as well but I can tell you that at least 50% of these bicycle riders are idiots. They drive sometimes in the middle(!) of the road, sometimes they drive two or three people next(!) to each other and often they cannot take curves and I suddenly have them on my lane after a curve, so I have to brake strongly to avoid hitting them (same goes to many motorcycle riders, they take the narrow curves in a way that half of their upper body is inside my lane Smiley).

I feel sorry for your friend and yes, there are always idiots driving around (like many local drivers I encountered, who think that they are fast in their Fiat Punto or whatever) but those groups created by Porsche (or us) are often professional drivers and they do not drive even close to the limit on a public road.

We had Adrian Sutil, Walter Röhrl and others in our group, so... Smiley

--

RC:

Are you sure you and Whoopsy are talking about the same roads? 

Those roads I am usually on when we do our "group drives" are used by cars only (and motorcycles). Sometimes bicycle riders are there as well but I can tell you that at least 50% of these bicycle riders are idiots. They drive sometimes in the middle(!) of the road, sometimes they drive two or three people next(!) to each other and often they cannot take curves and I suddenly have them on my lane after a curve, so I have to brake strongly to avoid hitting them (same goes to many motorcycle riders, they take the narrow curves in a way that half of their upper body is inside my lane Smiley).

My personal experience (about 300h/year in the car, 250h/year on the bike)

As a car driver: many cyclists are idiots

As a bicycle rider: there are more than enough idiots in the cars

Main difference: one car idiot could be the last idiot you ever meet

Riding next to each other can be your life insurance. Quite often cars overtake although there is traffic in the other direction (happened to my friend). Of course in that case it is not possible to keep the mandatory distance (1,5m) to the rider. If you are riding next to each other cars have to use the other lane and do not overtake if the other direction isn’t clear. Annoying for the car driver, but can be live saving for the cyclist. In Germany you are allowed to ride next to each other when the (edited) group is at least 16 people, in Spain (I think Italy too, not sure) even two are allowed to ride next to each other

When I read such statements, a very interesting thing comes to my mind, something an orthopedist told me once (when I asked him why he sold his Harley Davidson): Metal is always harder than bones. I know this is actually an oxymoron because bones are a couple of times stronger than steel but in an accident, when a car hits a body, the car always "wins". The car doesn't feel pain, the car can be easily repaired and the car can't really die.

I always pay attention to bicycle riders but they couldn't care less. Those driving on mountain roads, with their pro bikes/etc. are usually less idiots than those in the cities, riding their bikes on a daily basis and ignoring basically every single traffic law available. If I were a police officer in my car, I could probably hand out 50(!) or more traffic tickets to bikers per day(!), no kidding.

Which brings me back to the bone and metal thing I mentioned...

I agree, many car drivers are irresponsible and do not pay attention but as a bicycle rider, I would always take that "metal is harder than bones" rule to heart before I ride my bike totally brainless. 

--

Yes that's why we have lead car with constant radio communications. We are not idiots, and we never force a pass, the Turbo S is fast enough that there is always the next passing opportunity. There are many cyclists we encountered, and we gave them a wide berth, as in passing on the other lane even when they were riding single file, that's called proper road sharing. 

In and around town we slowed right down, simply because there will be sudden pedestrian movements or cars coming out of parking or whatever. Outside of town in the open road is when we speed up. Call it responsible speeding.

The locals however are not driving responsible at all, they don't give much space to cyclists when passing, and they do pass in inappropriate places. One Italian lorry driver was so fed up being pass by 10+ German Porsches that he drives right on the centre line, as in taking both lanes, THAT'S dangerous. The tail end of the train didn't force the issue, they waited until he calms down before finishing the overtakes.

Driving always involve risks, it's how one manage and minimize them that counts. 

On our way into Italy from Munich, we drove the Kesselburg pass first, it was a such a treat to see a F40 running with us, also a 911R, a bunch of Astons, other assorted performance cars and a ton of motorcycles. But seeing someone properly exercise the F40.....................wow.

--

Having driven the F40 on a couple of occasions, I can say that it's a true testament to the driver's skill if he were able to do that...that car is not easy to drive at all. You NEED balls of steel when getting the wheel of one. :) 

Whoopsy:

On our way into Italy from Munich, we drove the Kesselburg pass first, it was a such a treat to see a F40 running with us, also a 911R, a bunch of Astons, other assorted performance cars and a ton of motorcycles. But seeing someone properly exercise the F40.....................wow.

At the Kesselberg there are new plastic flaps to separate the lanes in some curves. I don’t know if this is an improvement. Now nobody can cut the lanes. But if you are going uphill with a bicycle the cars can’t overtake the bikes in a safe way. This summer a caravan from the Netherlands overtook me in one of this small stretches. Although my heart rate was already high my heart rate did a big jump.

And this small speedbumps crosswise are no good idea if you are going downhill. Without them you have the same speed as the cars, now you have to break hard. Failed attempt to avoid speeding (popular motorcycle stretch) at this nice little hill. German overengineering

Newsflash: These roads are made for cars and other motor vehicles and not bicycles. 

This is what I was talking about: If you want to avoid moments of your heart rate doing a big jump, avoid these roads.

Regarding that F40: Wonderful toy and yes, not easy to drive (much worse than CGT in my opinion).

Met a Lamborghini Murcielago yesterday near Starnberg, had some fun with him on a twisty road but driver was very reasonable and saluted afterwards at a stop light, very nice guy and beautiful (white) car.

--

RC:

Newsflash: These roads are made for cars and other motor vehicles and not bicycles. 

This is what I was talking about: If you want to avoid moments of your heart rate doing a big jump, avoid These roads.

Of course as an intelligent man you know that this is wrong. But we shouldn’t discuss this question here. Too off topic even for rennteam

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690266 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409599 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255908 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235141 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65626 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858309 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774535 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM