Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

atomic80:

I got the "LOUD" version too because I'm deaf and I should be able to appreciate it more, right? 

Hahaha Jason! Love it!

Whose signature text is that again: "The best things come to those who make the best of whatever comes to them"... Smiley

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

I guess since I adopted this thread as mine, I will post the Huracan stuff here too smiley

Took the car for a morning drive to Whistler and back yesterday morning.

Weather wasn't great, 14 degrees and intermittent showers, so the top stayed on laugh

Sports mode is great in the mountain road, perfect gear selections, the rev match downshifts combined with the off throttle pops gives great emotions for spirited drives. The added weight to the steering is a nice touch when carving corners, in Strada mode the steering is much to light to my likings. With wet road and cold weather I didn't push it too hard, just some brisk pace. The P Zeros are great at evacuating water that's for sure. 

Car basically corners flat, the engine eager to revs, and the V10 sounds glorious echoing off rock walls.

Not counting the 918, this is my 3rd mid engine car that I drive on this road, the others being the Speciale and the 12C. Actually 4th, I took a Cayman S before too, but that one is not quite in the same category. interesting thing is that in the Ferrari, the speed seems faster than I am driving when looking through the windshield, but the opposite when inside the 12C and the Huracan. 12C and Huracan doesn't have the annoying drone at highway speed. Much prefer the Ferrari and Lambo paddles as they stay in one place and not trying to escape my reach, but I also prefer the dual action paddle in the McLaren, if only they all make stationary paddles with dual action..........

One other thing, The water rooster tail, the Huracan can whip out a great one,  not as spectacular as the one in the Speciale, but it is bigger than the one I got in the 12C. 

BUT, while the Huracan is very enjoyable to drive, I felt something is missing. I cannot pinpoint it though. The Speciale is too 'emotional', overload my senses, especially with the annoying exhaust, the 12C is too 'clinical', not much emotions but boy I still remember that car is fast, the power is I would say very addictive. The Huracan is sort of like in the middle. 

For comparison, the 918 is both very clinical and very emotional, it is very efficient and capable in eating up straights and corners, while at the same time gives me a great emotional feedback, but it never overload my senses. 

All 4 are super high power mid engine sports cars, much too powerful to fully enjoyed on the street. Every when I know this road like the back of my hand, I still don't dare push them too hard.

I think the perfect car for this road is still the much less powerful GT3RS. Maybe I am a 911 guy after all and prefer the 911 handling quirk. With the RS I pushed it way harder than any other cars, it gives the perfect blend of clinical efficiency and emotional inputs, even better than what I get in the 918. 

So there, the perfect car for spirit driving is a GT3RS smiley

--

Whoopsy:

Right after a GT4. In white. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    Whoopsy:

Goes without saying. Obviously. Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    Rossi:
    Whoopsy:

Goes without saying. Obviously. Smiley

White GT4 is the fastest, but I didn't say I want the fastest Smiley

--

I guess since I adopted this thread as mine, I will post the Huracan stuff here too smiley

Go on.. Spoil us with a new thread!

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Whoopsy:

Took the car for a morning drive to Whistler and back yesterday morning.

Weather wasn't great, 14 degrees and intermittent showers, so the top stayed on laugh

Sports mode is great in the mountain road, perfect gear selections, the rev match downshifts combined with the off throttle pops gives great emotions for spirited drives. The added weight to the steering is a nice touch when carving corners, in Strada mode the steering is much to light to my likings. With wet road and cold weather I didn't push it too hard, just some brisk pace. The P Zeros are great at evacuating water that's for sure. 

Car basically corners flat, the engine eager to revs, and the V10 sounds glorious echoing off rock walls.

Not counting the 918, this is my 3rd mid engine car that I drive on this road, the others being the Speciale and the 12C. Actually 4th, I took a Cayman S before too, but that one is not quite in the same category. interesting thing is that in the Ferrari, the speed seems faster than I am driving when looking through the windshield, but the opposite when inside the 12C and the Huracan. 12C and Huracan doesn't have the annoying drone at highway speed. Much prefer the Ferrari and Lambo paddles as they stay in one place and not trying to escape my reach, but I also prefer the dual action paddle in the McLaren, if only they all make stationary paddles with dual action..........

One other thing, The water rooster tail, the Huracan can whip out a great one,  not as spectacular as the one in the Speciale, but it is bigger than the one I got in the 12C. 

BUT, while the Huracan is very enjoyable to drive, I felt something is missing. I cannot pinpoint it though. The Speciale is too 'emotional', overload my senses, especially with the annoying exhaust, the 12C is too 'clinical', not much emotions but boy I still remember that car is fast, the power is I would say very addictive. The Huracan is sort of like in the middle. 

For comparison, the 918 is both very clinical and very emotional, it is very efficient and capable in eating up straights and corners, while at the same time gives me a great emotional feedback, but it never overload my senses. 

All 4 are super high power mid engine sports cars, much too powerful to fully enjoyed on the street. Every when I know this road like the back of my hand, I still don't dare push them too hard.

I think the perfect car for this road is still the much less powerful GT3RS. Maybe I am a 911 guy after all and prefer the 911 handling quirk. With the RS I pushed it way harder than any other cars, it gives the perfect blend of clinical efficiency and emotional inputs, even better than what I get in the 918. 

PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PLEEEEEEEEASE Smiley and thanks for your great feedback on those fantastic cars Smiley Smiley

--

J.Seven

Nick, that is why I will get a RS. If they decide not to build one, then I will get into a GT3.2. I love my TARGA but it lacks the emotional component provided by the GT3. To me the perfect car would be a GT3 targa. I do not need back seats but love open air driving.kiss

--

To learn how to live is to learn how to hang on. To learn how to die is to learn how to let go.

Whoopsy:

interesting thing is that in the Ferrari, the speed seems faster than I am driving when looking through the windshield, but the opposite when inside the 12C and the Huracan. 12C and Huracan doesn't have the annoying drone at highway speed.

Thanks for the write up. Interesting comment on the Ferrari - I think that relates to the sound coming in and the very fast Ferrari steering which always makes it feel a little bit more jittery and on edge than a 4WD Lamborghini or the McLaren. When you get a chance to push the Huracan harder you will feel a little bit of understeer for sure.

Entirely predictable that you concluded that the GT3RS was the best combo SmileySmiley. Am I right in thinking you have sold it from some of the other threads or have I got that wrong  - I was surprised?

nberry:

Nick, that is why I will get a RS. If they decide not to build one, then I will get into a GT3.2. I love my TARGA but it lacks the emotional component provided by the GT3. To me the perfect car would be a GT3 targa. I do not need back seats but love open air driving.kiss

You could always just mod the targa. There are plenty of very competent shops out there that could add some excitement to it. Whether you're interested in owning a tuned car or not is another story. I may never have a GT3 engine, but I'm sure you could build a pretty sick engine if the money isn't an issue.

crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

interesting thing is that in the Ferrari, the speed seems faster than I am driving when looking through the windshield, but the opposite when inside the 12C and the Huracan. 12C and Huracan doesn't have the annoying drone at highway speed.

Thanks for the write up. Interesting comment on the Ferrari - I think that relates to the sound coming in and the very fast Ferrari steering which always makes it feel a little bit more jittery and on edge than a 4WD Lamborghini or the McLaren. When you get a chance to push the Huracan harder you will feel a little bit of understeer for sure.

Entirely predictable that you concluded that the GT3RS was the best combo SmileySmiley. Am I right in thinking you have sold it from some of the other threads or have I got that wrong  - I was surprised?

Yeah I think the faster steering ratio plays a part. And I like the fast ratio.

But it's the vision, like the look through the front windshield, that's more noticeable for me. At any given speed, the view from the Ferrari always feels faster than I was doing, but in the McLaren and the Lambo the car seems to be going slower than indicated, almost like wanting me to push it more. 

But yeah, I got the push already, grip level is lower in the wet :), but it's nothing a little lift can't fix to tuck it back in, so it's quite a minor thing, plus, a little push is always better than the tail coming around on the street.

And yes, the GT3RS is gone. At times I miss the car, but not really as I am looking forward to the race car, and that's what made the RS become redundant. 

--

Whoopsy , you need to buy one back, just like this one smiley

1473404942331FullSizeRender.jpg

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Darkblue at our local OPC # 1965

Blueflame

1473429518893image.jpeg

Gnil:

--

I moved on and join blueflames in the GT4 class now Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    Gnil:

--

You know what that means .... You will be talking about your hyper - super - the fastest - manlier  GT4 , but actually never drive it Smiley

--

blueflame:

Blueflame

1473429518893image.jpeg

Smiley    Best color by far. If I could afford this car, I'd buy it in a heart beat. 

Whoopsy:
    Gnil:

bluewhatever... Smiley

I understand your crying from fear and uncertainty. The manliness of the GT4 can seem overwhelming and threatening in the beginning. This will pass, as your chest hair grows thicker, your voice turns into Marlboro man and that three-day stubble beard becomes a permanent look. At that point you will look back at RS ownership as something in the metrosexual past, for girliemen who need automatic gearboxes and too much aero to feel secure.

--

bluelines:
    Whoopsy:
    Gnil:

bluewhatever... Smiley

I understand your crying from fear and uncertainty. The manliness of the GT4 can seem overwhelming and threatening in the beginning. This will pass, as your chest hair grows thicker, your voice turns into Marlboro man and that three-day stubble beard becomes a permanent look. At that point you will look back at RS ownership as something in the metrosexual past, for girliemen who need automatic gearboxes and too much aero to feel secure.

I swear in my drunken state your handle was blueflames not bluelines Smiley

But maybe I should change mine to blueflames now to join you too in the blue whatever category Smiley

--

amazon:
    blueflame:

Blueflame

1473429518893image.jpeg

Smiley    Best color by far. If I could afford this car, I'd buy it in a heart beat. 

Agree and Agree

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Whoopsy:

But maybe I should change mine to blueflames now to join you too in the blue whatever category Smiley

Blupsy Smiley Smiley

--

bluelines:
    Whoopsy:

Blupsy Smiley Smiley

Smiley

--

bluelines:
    Whoopsy:

Blupsy Smiley Smiley

SmileySmiley

Blueflame

laughlaugh

We do have a blueflame here, haha.

At least we don't have a blueflameS yet smiley

--

TurboblueFlame

And my custom sized HRE wheels for my winter tires arrived today.

Fronts are 20x8.5 instead of 20x9.5 stock, they weights 20.7lbs each

Rears are 21x10 instead of 21x12.5, and coming in at 22.4lbs each.

But the wheels also need a centre lock adapter ring, which comes in a 1/2lb each.

IMG_0390.JPGIMG_0391.JPG

--

Did you want a new look? Don't Porsche offer winter tires on standard wheels? Do they charge an extortionate amount for a spare set of wheels?

Dr. Walliser specifically did not certify any winter tires for the 918, think the cost out weight the select few owners that drives them year round. I had been hounding him for 2 years now. One of the solution we did was check out what they run in the 918 in the Ice Force events in Finland. That at least gave us a good sizing for reference. 

That's why I had to find my own solution, at least for the wheel part. 

I am not the only one, someone had used some SUV winter tires, and one guy even had Michelin specially made Cup2 tires in winter compound i noted stock size.

Porsche had one set that's for the RS, would have worked for the 918, at least the tires, but they only comes in 20s and a 20" wheel will not clear the brackets in the rear. 

Maybe I will drive it in the snow, maybe I won't, but the winter tires is just for complying with laws that states winter tires had to be used in some highways here between Oct 1st and March 31st. Even if it's not snowing.

Plus, the winter compound will have much better grip than the Cup2s.

--

R101 HRE?  Great looking wheel.

PS4 box angel

BiTurbo:

PS4 box angel

Of all things in the picture................................

That's what you see? Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691223 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410281 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256296 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65769 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858916 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775252 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM