Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

alexalex88:

Thread derailed.

Obama? Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

alexalex88:

In terms of design, imho Zonda is much better looking than Huayra and the truly instant classic from Pagani,

+1

Zonda, the original and the best

sfo:
    alexalex88:

In terms of design, imho Zonda is much better looking than Huayra and the truly instant classic from Pagani,

+1

+2. I never saw the appeal of the Huayra and I find the interior just too visually overpowering. I can't comment on the drive as I have not had the privilige!

Anyone here interested in the new Bugatti Chiron?  I have a friend who attended the LA private premiere, and has placed a deposit. 

Italo:
    Whoopsy:

How about we gat back to some 918 news?

Mark Webber is not the only one with a 918.

Nico Hulkenberg, after winning Le Mans, drove a prototype 918 on the Ring during one of the testings, he promptly bought a 2nd hand 918 at market price. 

Nick, would you take the Hyuara over the 918, I reckon the Pagani will be a brilliant car even though I havent driven one yet Smiley

Never in a million years. You guys over the years have read and know my standard of judging a car.

A 918 to me is like a fine mechanical watch with in house movement and lots of complications. A Pagani on the other hand is like a nice watch, but with a run of the mill ETA movement inside, and then dress up outside with lots and lots of diamonds to make it really expensive.  One is well worth whatever price you paid, the other one is just a dressed up pretender. Now why would I want to trade a masterpiece with a hack job?

I have spent a lot of time inside a Huarya, I can see the effort Huracio put into dressing up the cabin, but in the end, the car is just wrap around a slightly tuned up run off the mill AMG V12, aka the ETA movement. 

If I were to buy a Pagani, it will be a additional car, it's not worthy enough to replace whatever I have, even the GT3RS. I was slightly moved to put a deposit on the Spyder, they sold 33 out of 100 already, but at 1.68mil euro, I might as well spend it on a used P1 instead. 

--

... but the P1 is a dressed up ETA as well, right? I mean, you mentioned multiple times that it is an update of the 4-12C with a hybrid unit slapped on. Or am I taking your quotes out of proportion here?

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

It is, which is why I don't have one. But at least the P1 has the performance.

--

Not everything is about performance but feeling, even when you already have a 918 which is, at the end and according to almost every single review I read, way better than the brit.

On the other hand it's obvious that Mr. Horacio's creations are some sort of Frankestein stuff, but hey, what an amazing Frankestein stuff! I mean, gorgeous and FUNCTIONAL design (Zonda), low weight using a lot of CF, AMG V12, Öhlins, what else do you need? C'mon, it's not like we are talking of a Casio dressed as a Patek.

crayphile:
    sfo:
    alexalex88:

+1

+2. I never saw the appeal of the Huayra and I find the interior just too visually overpowering. I can't comment on the drive as I have not had the privilige!

Do you guys remember the original first release of the Zonda? that was not as pretty as the F, Cinque, or R. They Huayra is in it's first iteration and if Pagani reworks it as it did the Zonda then the best is yet to come with it. It's a much better start than the first Zonda ever was so I have high hopes for later versions of it. 

alexalex88:

Not everything is about performance but feeling, even when you already have a 918 which is, at the end and according to almost every single review I read, way better than the brit.

On the other hand it's obvious that Mr. Horacio's creations are some sort of Frankestein stuff, but hey, what an amazing Frankestein stuff! I mean, gorgeous and FUNCTIONAL design (Zonda), low weight using a lot of CF, AMG V12, Öhlins, what else do you need? C'mon, it's not like we are talking of a Casio dressed as a Patek.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

Some thinks the Huayra's interior is gorgeous, some thinks it's way too much over the top. But he gets top marks for using prime grade materials that's for sure no matter the view. 

Pagani is still in the niche category of side street tuner/manufacturer, like Koenigsegg, Noble, the old Vector in America, Gumpert, Spyker, etc. Not quite mainstream yet. As a small time manufacturer, one has no idea how long they can/will stay in business, buying a 7 digit car do needs some assurance on after sales support for the long term. Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren have that ace up their sleeves. 

On jewelry terms, Pagani are your neighbourhood custom jeweller, not a Tiffany or a Harry Winston. Not that I don't buy from them, my jeweller made some fantastic pieces for my wife over the years. I will source the diamond or ruby or emerald myself, and he makes a design around it, kind of like Horacio sourced the AMG engine then design a body around it. 

But at their price level, there is a real alternative to buying from Pagani, SCG. Jim Glickenhaus' car company. The SCG003 is a fantastic looking car, and has the race pedigree to go with his creation now, something Pagani doesn't have. The interior is not even close to Pagani level, but the car has a real race car feel and he really pours a lot into his creation. 

--

OK, to bring this thread back to the 918 - Whoopsy has replaced his 918 avatar with a lowly GT3RS - feel free to speculate what this means..... smiley

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

To help get the thread back on track indecision

https://mobile.twitter.com/MotorTrend/status/649735560282566657

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

Good to see three 918s in action last Saturday at the final vmax event of the year in glorious sunshine.

This final one belongs to Leon who is a previous Ruf 993 turboR, Ruf RT12 and Ruf CTR3 owner who likes to get them sideways, is that a bit of opposite lock I can see on the pic below angel

The fourth 918 didn't make it as his Mrs had him babysitting his three kids for the day.

There is normally a prevailing southwesterly tail wind down the runway which helps with giving highest top speeds but this time we had the high pressure and a very slight 5 mph headwind, in these conditions the fastest 918 hit 203mph. Their full bore blast offs from a standing start are a thing to behold.

Link below for those interested kiss

https://www.facebook.com/vmax200

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.0 bar

Just got done talking to my dealership's shop foreman, who is the main 918 tech. 

Porsche had jut released a big update to the 918, I believe this is #4 already since last year when I got my car, and it doesn't turn 1 year old until November.

He just done updating the undelivered 918, (can you believe someone let their car sit in the dealership for over 3 months now), and the update specified a test drive to re-calibrate the front and rear e-machines. Gave him a scare the first corner. It seems the update either turned down the rear traction control, or boosted the rear e-machine output, or both, as the car is much more tail happy now, more willing to turn. He is no dummy, he PDI-ed all 5 918s the dealership got and so he knows pretty well how a 918 handles, and after the update the car just feels quite different.

I haven't got mine done yet, gonna wait till November when it's due for the 1st service to get everything in, including activating my long awaited Porsche Car Connect function.

I am gonna wager after the updates, we might see a few more 918s get wrecked. 

--

4trac:

OK, to bring this thread back to the 918 - Whoopsy has replaced his 918 avatar with a lowly GT3RS - feel free to speculate what this means..... smiley

Not just that, I also replaced my acid green iPhone case to the orange one :)

IMG_4837.JPG

--

Whoopsy:
    4trac:

Not just that, I also replaced my acid green iPhone case to the orange one :)

IMG_4837.JPG

Ah, you should just keep one per car!  Smiley

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Apple is pretty good at matching Porsche's colors.

image.jpeg

--

Lava has so many shades that anything even remotely orange or red could match it indecision

Whoopsy,

so this upgrade can classified as performance one?

i certainly agree that while definitely a good car, the 918 is much more than a pagani in the sum of its parts.

teutonic engineering versus over the top detailing

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Boyko23:

Whoopsy,

Yes. From the few that has driven the updated cars, the feedback is that before the torque output is more linear, after the update the torque output is like 'a hammer to your back'.

Porsche definitely up the output of the rear e-motor. 

--

Whoopsy:
    Boyko23:

Whoopsy,

Yes. From the few that has driven the updated cars, the feedback is that before the torque output is more linear, after the update the torque output is like 'a hammer to your back'.

Porsche definitely up the output of the rear e-motor. 

--

Wow, the beast just becomes even faster.

Will wait for any news regarding this; really interested in it.

Is there official info from Porsche for the benefits?

Boyko23:

Wow, the beast just becomes even faster.

Will wait for any news regarding this; really interested in it.

Is there official info from Porsche for the benefits?

I posted about it before, but one of the 918 owners Vbox-ed the 918 doing a 5.1 0-60 in electric mode.

We told David Donohue about it and the I guess the only 'official' acknowledgement about the new update is that he said you guys will be even happier after the update. Sub 5 perhaps. 

--

But in a way, Porsche doesn't advertise the update either. They didn't send out memo to us owners about the update, it is not a essential one and they just release it to the service personal and whenever a 918 goes in they gets flagged in the system and performs any updates queued up, like any other Porsche cars.

--

I find it encouraging that Porsche is taking a page out of Tesla's continuous improvement of products in the field book.  Because so much of modern car performance and behavior resides in firmware, it's good reassurance to customers that already delivered cars can be improved.   

Some might argue that this sort of field upgrade activity is actually making customers into beta testers when the car was released before it was sufficiently developed.  I've got news for those making that point, EVERY car is released before perfection has been attained.  A company which further perfects released products is going the extra mile and is not the norm.

i think Porshe is doing well by its 918 owners.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

Well, one of our fellow 918 owners updated his car and did some runs at Road America. He hit 181mph at the end of the front straight before going into turn 1. 

I have never driven or even been on that track, so I have no reference. Maybe some experienced fellows can chime in. 

All I know is the front straight is around 3/4 mile in length and turn 14 heading into the straight is a 200' radius turn, turn 1 that follows is a 348' radius turn. Maybe some geeks here can whip out a calculator and do some math :)

--

Thanks Whoopsy. Keep us updated on the upgrade..

Now something very, very ugly unfortunately:

http://youtu.be/PxhvNnW2G3o

That's Paul Bailey's car.

--

http://gtspirit.com/2015/10/04/10-injured-after-porsche-918-spyder-crashes-into-crowd-in-malta/

Indeed Paul Bailey's car. The article says one wheel touched the grass and this caused the car to spin.

Very tragic for everyone involved enlightened

It is insane to put up such a tiny fence between high speeding cars and a group of spectators. If anything goes wrong it will go horrible wrong... and it did surprise

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

WOW that's a bad crash, but the risks were very high.. I hope that everyone involved makes a full recovery and no casualties. Looks horrific surprise

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM