Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

REALZEUS:
    kudryavchik:
    REALZEUS:
    kudryavchik:
    REALZEUS:

I am basing it on the claims for these specific two cars. Unless P has been lying through its teeth, the specs of the 918 are no match for the upcoming Enzo successor. Look at the claimed numbers, how off can these be? Will the 918 be 1200 kg instead of the whispered 1700 for example?

As I can remember, Porsche is one of those companies that lie much less than others. F.e. they claimed 4 secs to 100 kph for cgt. In reality 3,5 secs were possible... Turbo s official was 3.3. As tests have shown 2.7 are often possible. 

Ferrari, instead, one of those who lie and make too optimistic(fake) official claims.Smiley

That does not stand true. The Enzo for example was supposed to have a 3.5s 0-62mph time but low 3s were clocked independently and almost 370 km/h were also seen. The 458 has a 0-62 official time of 3.4s but various magazines have clock it at 3-3.1s. 0-124 mph times of less than 10s have also been clocked, whereas the factory claims only 10.4s and while its top speed theoretically is 325 km/h in all tests it hit 330. So Ferrari is also understating its numbers. Which is besides the whole point really as a differential of half a tonne (1200kg vs 1700) is unimaginable.

But what about modified demo cars for journalists?

What about them? Never proven! Why are the cars that Ferrari provides to the journalists tricked out and not the cars that other manufacturers give to the press? Your logic is hilarious. If a Ferrari proves to be faster than claimed, then it's a demo special. If another car proves to be quicker than claimed, then it's a bloody good car! Priceless line of argument really! Smiley

Relax manSmiley

--

sportcars-history.com

Another 918 video....Would be better with NO music.... Engine is the best music! wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpUanYWScO0

--

kudryavchik:
    REALZEUS:
    kudryavchik:
    REALZEUS:
    kudryavchik:
    REALZEUS:

I am basing it on the claims for these specific two cars. Unless P has been lying through its teeth, the specs of the 918 are no match for the upcoming Enzo successor. Look at the claimed numbers, how off can these be? Will the 918 be 1200 kg instead of the whispered 1700 for example?

As I can remember, Porsche is one of those companies that lie much less than others. F.e. they claimed 4 secs to 100 kph for cgt. In reality 3,5 secs were possible... Turbo s official was 3.3. As tests have shown 2.7 are often possible. 

Ferrari, instead, one of those who lie and make too optimistic(fake) official claims.Smiley

That does not stand true. The Enzo for example was supposed to have a 3.5s 0-62mph time but low 3s were clocked independently and almost 370 km/h were also seen. The 458 has a 0-62 official time of 3.4s but various magazines have clock it at 3-3.1s. 0-124 mph times of less than 10s have also been clocked, whereas the factory claims only 10.4s and while its top speed theoretically is 325 km/h in all tests it hit 330. So Ferrari is also understating its numbers. Which is besides the whole point really as a differential of half a tonne (1200kg vs 1700) is unimaginable.

What about them? Never proven! Why are the cars that Ferrari provides to the journalists tricked out and not the cars that other manufacturers give to the press? Your logic is hilarious. If a Ferrari proves to be faster than claimed, then it's a demo special. If another car proves to be quicker than claimed, then it's a bloody good car! Priceless line of argument really! Smiley

Relax manSmiley

I am relaxed. No worries, I was just making a bit of fun. Take care! Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

SportCarGroup:

Another 918 video....Would be better with NO music.... Engine is the best music! wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpUanYWScO0

Smiley SmileySmiley

porsche is aiming for a technological 'tour de force' just like with the 959.....it is not aimed at all out track performance.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

REALZEUS:
    kudryavchik:
    REALZEUS:
    kudryavchik:
    REALZEUS:
    kudryavchik:
    REALZEUS:

Relax manSmiley

I am relaxed. No worries, I was just making a bit of fun. Take care! Smiley

Smiley   Smiley

--

sportcars-history.com

Futch:
    palenimbus:

Futch confirmed over 800.

Correct. 100%.

As well as EU cycle below 5 L/100km. 

A technological tour de force.

I quote my contact from inside: 7'20 Nordschleife VERY conservative.

Thanks Futch,

but weren´t the numbers so far a bit different? I seem to remember a sub 7:30 min time on the Nordschleife and slightly different power / consumption numbers... I do have to say though that the above figures look far more appropriate for the price and technology segment the 918 resides in.

Smiley

Ferdie:
    Futch:
    palenimbus:

Correct. 100%.

Thanks Futch,

but weren´t the numbers so far a bit different? I seem to remember a sub 7:30 min time on the Nordschleife and slightly different power / consumption numbers... I do have to say though that the above figures look far more appropriate for the price and technology segment the 918 resides in.

Smiley

Correct, 

But Porsche did the same thing with the GT. Remember, it quoted 570 hp as a concept and the production car made 612.

Trust me, I'm quoting facts.Smiley

Zeus, you're only quoting rumours, so let's wait a few months and find out. 

The only thing we know for sure about the future super car is that it'll be a hybrid, personally, I think it will be great but not as light as quoted for sure and probably not as drivable as the 918 in hybrid system. The Ferrari will use some sort of KERS which will be great on the track but pretty pointless on the road.

In any case, history shows us that Porsche has always managed to produces cars with less power, more weight, cheaper but just as fast. 

not in the case of 959 vs F40, which is what this appears to be

mojeIme:

not in the case of 959 vs F40, which is what this appears to be

I'm pretty sure the 959 was as quick as an F40 back in the days, albeit top speed.

The new Ferrari will not be an F40, times have changed and new car will adapt to the 21st century with environmental hurdles, just like the 918. Melisa is very concious of that, they are also putting a lot of emphasis on green supercar.

Both cars have different approach to hybrid system and both will be fabulous, I can't wait!

F40 was a tubular chassis with carbon body, a small V8 with two huge turbos and a design to die for. No ABS, no traction control, nothing, just pure pure pure. The best Ferrari ever made, thank you Enzo! Yes I'm bias, I have one.Smiley

Maybe I am wrong, but I think that it is impossible to compare f40 and 959... These cars were made for different aims, 959 as an omologation car for group b, f40 as a beater of 959 in terms of top speed. Ubergizmo car and "bicycle" frame car are hardly comparable. It is like comparing f50 with dauer 962 and gt1...  Once again, maybe I am wrong...

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:

Maybe I am wrong, but I think that it is impossible to compare f40 and 959... These cars were made for different aims, 959 as an omologation car for group b, f40 as a beater of 959 in terms of top speed. Ubergizmo car and "bicycle" frame car are hardly comparable. It is like comparing f50 with dauer 962 and gt1...  Once again, maybe I am wrong...

You're absolutely right, these two cars have very different agendas, but they are always compared because that pair defines the supercars of the 80s regardless of their engineering.

Actually the real competitor of the 959 was the GTO, both cars were made with Group B as a goal.

But people still compare them because it's ferrari and porsche, because it's two of the best names in sports cars and because they're the same period, same for the Enzo and GT and same for the 918 and new Ferrari.

Futch:
    kudryavchik:

You're absolutely right, these two cars have very different agendas, but they are always compared because that pair defines the supercars of the 80s regardless of their engineering.

Actually the real competitor of the 959 was the GTO, both cars were made with Group B as a goal.

But people still compare them because it's ferrari and porsche, because it's two of the best names in sports cars and because they're the same period, same for the Enzo and GT and same for the 918 and new Ferrari.

Fully agree.

--

sportcars-history.com

Futch:
    Ferdie:
    Futch:
    palenimbus:

Correct. 100%.

Thanks Futch,

Smiley

Correct, 

But Porsche did the same thing with the GT. Remember, it quoted 570 hp as a concept and the production car made 612.

Trust me, I'm quoting facts.Smiley

Zeus, you're only quoting rumours, so let's wait a few months and find out. 

The only thing we know for sure about the future super car is that it'll be a hybrid, personally, I think it will be great but not as light as quoted for sure and probably not as drivable as the 918 in hybrid system. The Ferrari will use some sort of KERS which will be great on the track but pretty pointless on the road.

In any case, history shows us that Porsche has always managed to produces cars with less power, more weight, cheaper but just as fast. 

Smiley Dauer, gt1, some 911 modifications were faster, lighter and not cheaper...first 2 cars are much more expensive. 959 was heavier than ferrari models of that time but not cheaper.

--

sportcars-history.com

Well in Italy (at least) the F40 was cheaper new than the 959.

F40: 372 million liras  vs P 959 :  420 million liras (for both taxes included).  That makes a 13% more for the Porsche.

What was astonishing was the 0-100 Km/h  3.7 secs for Porsche vs 4.56 secs for the F40 (both results are from the Quattroruote magazine tests of that time). This performance is staggering still 25 years after. Hats off to Porsche.

--

911 Club Coupe, 72' 911 Targa 2.4 S, 12' Audi S4 Avant

m4ever:

Well in Italy (at least) the F40 was cheaper new than the 959.

F40: 372 million liras  vs P 959 :  420 million liras (for both taxes included).  That makes a 13% more for the Porsche.

What was astonishing was the 0-100 Km/h  3.7 secs for Porsche vs 4.56 secs for the F40 (both results are from the Quattroruote magazine tests of that time). This performance is staggering still 25 years after. Hats off to Porsche.

Thank you for info!!! As far as I remember some 959 also were sold in beginning of 90's. Those cars were much more expensive.

Also, 993 gt2 was much more expensive than anything from F that time, maybe except f50...

--

sportcars-history.com

Futch:

F40 was a tubular chassis with carbon body, a small V8 with two huge turbos and a design to die for. No ABS, no traction control, nothing, just pure pure pure. The best Ferrari ever made, thank you Enzo! Yes I'm bias, I have one.Smiley

Sorry if I missed that but did you already post pictures of it? I only remember the 288 GTO, which in itself is already spectacular, and that you were looking for an F40... Anyway, congratulations to you!

Smiley

Thanks I'm picking the car next Tuesday.

m4ever, very interesting info, F40 was cheaper new than a 959. And look now, the former is a good investement. 959 is stable.

Great Ferraris have always been a good investment.

Futch:

m4ever, very interesting info, F40 was cheaper new than a 959. And look now, the former is a good investement. 959 is stable.

Hi Futch, yes you are completely right the F40 is much more expensive today than the 959. From my knowledge this is due to the difficult restoration/maintenance on the 959 and the cost of such projects. Some parts are difficult to obtain or even not available at all. The tricky part on the 959 are the electronics. Only few Porsche dealership have the equipment for the 959 maintenance besides Porsche itself (and the knowledge to operate on a such complex car).

Recently the values of 959 went a bit up due to the fact that you can now import them to the US , which until few years ago was extremely difficult.

You have beautiful cars and I read your posts with great interest, congratulations.

--

0000113142_resized_3.jpg7660988942_6ff029890d_b.jpg7660989108_ea8838a9ed_b.jpg7660989222_b14a47aee3_b.jpg7660989452_4be360346e_h.jpg7660989588_4750e6940b_b.jpg7660989676_247a1a2313_b.jpg0000113140_resized_1.jpg7660989790_5ce38868d3_b.jpg0000113141_resized_2.jpg

--

m4ever:
    Futch:

Hi Futch, yes you are completely right the F40 is much more expensive today than the 959. From my knowledge this is due to the difficult restoration/maintenance on the 959 and the cost of such projects. Some parts are difficult to obtain or even not available at all. The tricky part on the 959 are the electronics. Only few Porsche dealership have the equipment for the 959 maintenance besides Porsche itself (and the knowledge to operate on a such complex car).

Recently the values of 959 went a bit up due to the fact that you can now import them to the US , which until few years ago was extremely difficult.

You have beautiful cars and I read your posts with great interest, congratulations.

If you go there  http://www.goodingco.com/all_auctions/results you can see that 959 and f40 have the same price +- depends on quality of unit. 288 gto is more expensive than both. 

The most expensive porsches are 917, 550, rs60, rsr turbo, 962, 956. Also as you can see from chassis numbers, the most sucessful cars are over porsche museum ownership, maybe except 917/30-003 that belongs to private hands and never appears in cars collector communities. 

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:
    m4ever:
    Futch:

If you go there  http://www.goodingco.com/all_auctions/results you can see that 959 and f40 have the same price +- depends on quality of unit. 288 gto is more expensive than both. 

The most expensive porsches are 917, 550, rs60, rsr turbo, 962, 956. Also as you can see from chassis numbers, the most sucessful cars are over porsche museum ownership, maybe except 917/30-003 that belongs to private hands and never appears in cars collector communities. 

--

sportcars-history.com

I beg to disagree on this one. 959 values are in the range of 150 to 250,000 Eur , and something more for top end cars. F40s are starting up from 300,000 Eur.  The restoration cost (or major mechanics overhaul) on the 959 are simply massive and challenging.

--

From link you can see that 2 f40 were sold at prices: 495,000 and 522,000$ and 1 959 was sold at 495,000$.

But maybe this amount of sold cars is not enought to make statistics.

--

sportcars-history.com

Porsche 918 Spyder testing at the Nurburgring...

(23 July 2012)

Walter Röhrl tests at the Nurburgring the Porsche 918 Spyder, the new over-the Porsche Carrera GT successor. The hybrid super sports car of the future combines a 4.6-liter V8 gasoline engine with two electric motors - one on the front axle and acts on the rear wheels. We take the first pictures of the Martini-Erl King with 770 hp.

The requirements for the Porsche 918 Spyder are clearly defined: the new generation sports car is the performance of the Porsche Carrera GT outperform. The manufacturer refers to less than three seconds for the sprint from zero to 100 km / h (Carrera GT: 3.9 seconds) and a lap on the Nordschleife of the Nürburgring in 7:22 minutes (Carrera GT: 7:32 minutes). In addition, for over 770 hp Porsche 918 Spyder sought a consumption of approximately three liters per 100 kilometers.

Porsche 918 Spyder Takes Shape

Already at the Geneva Motor Show 2010 concept car of the Porsche 918 Spyder was shown. After more than half of its development time for series production in 2013 the first prototypes have been spotted (see slideshow). The design meets the body of carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) and the study also shows fully variable aerodynamic elements, which operates automatically between optimal efficiency and maximum output.

Technology of the Porsche Spyder 918

The Porsche 918 Spyder is equipped with a plug-in hybrid system. His main power source is the 4.6-liter eight-cylinder engine with more than 570 bhp, the RS comes from the Spyder racing car. At 918, the exhaust tailpipes in the upper rear open directly above the engine, so that the hot exhaust gases are discharged via the shortest, most direct route. Thus, the liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery is not an energy content of about seven kilowatt hours additionally heated.

The hybrid module with a 90 kW electric motor is located in the Porsche 918 Spyder as a parallel hybrid, so that the rear axle from either the E or V-8 engine and two power sources can be driven. In addition, located on the front axle further, autonomous electric motor with 80 kW of power. The energy is recovered by regenerative braking, but it can also be loaded via a plug-in charging interface from the domestic mains.

Race car technology has the Porsche 918 Spyder at the chassis, which offers a variable PASM damper system, a rear axle. Together with its low center of gravity and the weight-optimized body to meet the sports car driving dynamics requirements.

The start of production of the Porsche 918 Spyder is for 18 September 2013 in a factory in Zuffenhausen planned. In the same year the first customers will receive their super sports car, after payment of the basic price of € 768 026, it is however already included VAT.

angelangelangel

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

In a recent article about the 981 Boxster is a picture of Mauer with a prototype, which is obviously the 918. Interesting to note is that the headlight pattern is partly undisguised:

maurer-918.jpg

angelangelangelangelangelangelangelangelangel

993Targa:

Stunning picture. Is it part of an official photoshoot?

It's part of a press release about the livery.

Ferdie:

In a recent article about the 981 Boxster is a picture of Mauer with a prototype, which is obviously the 918. Interesting to note is that the headlight pattern is partly undisguised:

maurer-918.jpg

That looks like a clay model, so the simulated headlight mock-up would not have to mean very much. Smiley

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM