Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

918 is easily the best looking out of the three , All those martini stickers covered  its true beauty , my word its sexy.

My odyssey for a V12 Ferrari has taken so many turns I think I have lost myself already.

This morning the journey has officially closed. Well for the time being. 

After some negotiations, I have bought the new old stock 2013 FF in Silverstone and cuoio for a substantial discount with a understanding that in 2 months when my 918 arrive they will buy it back at a certain price. Pretty much means I am renting the car for 2 months from them. At a very good rate. Also paid the deposit for the 2015 FF we ordered earlier. Picking it up Thursday in time for a road trip golf trip with buddies this weekend.

Kinda like a long extended test drive to see if we can live with a FF, if yes we will take delivery of the black 2015.

They are still search a F12 for me, as the black one not suitable and I didn't like the red colour. If we don't like the FF I will move the deposit to a new F12 or the newer F12 M.

Speciale Spyder is still very much on the radar, the owner of the dealership saw it in Monterey last week and had nothing but praises. Just waiting to see how many allocations they will get but very very likely one of those will be mine.

I have pretty much gone from being unknown in the dealership to 'somebody' now walking out with a couple purchase agreements in hand for 2 FFs. 

--

Well, at least now, with the FF(s), you'll have no excuse not to get to work on those home improvement projects.

Oh, and congratulations!

I love your approach. One hand washes the other.

Are you working with one dealership selling both Ferrari and Porsche (not sure that is possibleyes)?

2. Ferrari is standalone and Porsche is part of a big group that includes Aston, Bentley, Jag, LR, Audi, etc. 

I am tight with the Porsche one for a long time, but now I got the Ferrari one in the pocket too. They can't possibly ignore someone who buys 4 cars within 12 months.

I already had a chunk of money ready for the 918, I wasn't planning on trading in something for that car, the whole amount was to be taxed. I figured I might as well use some of that to buy something for the mean time, and since here our tax law allows for trade in tax credits in full, so I won't pay tax twice.  I just paid the tax on the 918 purchase early. 

--

Whoopsy:

2. Ferrari is standalone and Porsche is part of a big group that includes Aston, Bentley, Jag, LR, Audi, etc. 

--

Ferrari is part of FIAT...

Whoopsy:

I have pretty much gone from being unknown in the dealership to 'somebody' now walking out with a couple purchase agreements in hand for 2 FFs. 

You are conquistador !! Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Congrats. From what I am reading and from my 612 experience, there is no competition to what the FF offers at any price...

MKSGR:
    Whoopsy:

Ferrari is part of FIAT...

Yes he knows that... he was responding to the original question about local dealers in Vancouver, not the ownership of the companies.   Not sure if this is the case in EU much, but in NA there are often single owners or ownership groups who own many separate dealerships.  The manufacturers don't seem to mind this as long as their requirements for branding, identity, quality, etc. are met.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

A small contribution to this thread.

I had the opportunity to test drive the 918 Spyder at the Porsche Leipzig track recently.

It was the first time I saw the 918 in real life and I have to admit it looks great . I was not 
    a particular fan of the 918 design maybe because in the last two years you would see this car on every 
    second internet page or printed magazine and almost in its final form. 
    I guess in terms of media exposure this Porsche has beaten them all.

There were two 918 displayed and available for the test drive a 918 in White with the Weissach package 
    and a "standard" 918 in Liquid Blue metallic.  It is very interesting how the metallic and the flat color 
    show the shapes of the car. The metallic enhances the lines of the car and renders it more elegant while 
    the white color is more sporty and (my impression) shows a bigger more bulky rear three quarter . 
    Nevertheless the Liquid Blue metallic in my very humble opinion is not special enough to warranty a 
    60 K Eur premium. I would definitely do a Paint To Sample but in a metallic color rather than a flat color.

The interior is exquisite. The finish of the carbon fibre and the aluminum parts is amazing. When you sit in it you
    immediately feel your are in a Porsche albeit in a very special one. What you immediately notice is the tiny 
    knob on the steering wheel (which knob seems to be taken off a 1970 radio) that sets the different engine modes (Electric only, HYbrid, Sport, Race and Race with Hot lap). This small knob, as I will highlight later, changes dramatically the 918 behaviour.
    I did not touch or play with the multimedia system so cannot comment on that. 

Before I drove the 918 I had 10 laps with the 991 Turbo S to familiarize with the track. I think pages and pages have been written about this car and I can only say that it is all true. Impressive performance , the best Turbo I have ever
    driven and the first one (after the air cooled ones) that sounds almost good. 
    If i lived in Germany I would mind having one but in a speed limited country it is way too fast to be properly enjoyed.

Then the 918 time came . I went in the white 918 with the Weissach package with the instructor who did few laps showing the different modes of the engine. 
    We started full electric: what to say, impressive torque , sounded like a taxing learjet but that was it. Very weird.
    Then hybrid mode: this was when the day really started for me. In the moment the natural combustion engine kicked in with that fantastic sound from the exhausts (that are just 50-60 centimetres away from your ears) the true beast started to reveal itself.
    The instructor then switched to hot lap and went for it. Just wow, amazing acceleration but even more impressive was the braking intensity. The last time I experienced this type of braking was being a passenger in a Mercedes DTM race car driven by Bernd Maylander. I just think the standard belts are not really suitable for this type of braking on the track.Before the belt would stop you , you had the feeling of being projected through the windscreen. I learnt after that you can spec the car with the 4 point belts.

Then it was my turn on the wheel, we went again through the different modes. When in Electric mode you need to be very gentle on the accelerator because the torque is instantaneous. The car moves swiftly , the instructor said the performance in electric mode is comparable to a Golf GTI I think he was a bit understating it , the 918 feels quite faster even in this mode than a Golf GTI. The sound as written above is similar to a taxing jet and is quite artificial almost toy like. But the possibility to drive 20 - 30 kms in E mode is something that can be appreciated
    in the city driving or just when going out for an early morning drive by not waking up your neighbours (which we do sometimes when we take the Carrera GT our for a spin at 6 in the morning ). 
    Then I drove in Race mode and with the gearbox in auto mode (the instructor did actually the same) 
    The first feeling is that you don`t feel the weight of the car and that is beautifully balanced in the corners and during the braking. The traction out of the corners is impressive and I guess you need more skills than I have to put it in trouble. I thought that anticipating the gas out of the corners the electronics would correct it but actually nothing was happening, it just shooted out of every turn. 
    It does really handle beautifully, the steering at first seems to be light or vague but then it becomes very fast and accurate. 
    As for the gearbox , I did not do a single gear change myself and left in auto and it did a fantastic job in selecting the right gears. Great piece of engineering. This allowed me to concentrate on the pedals, on the steering wheel and on the track. Things were happening pretty fast so it was the right thing to do I guess.

If I had to ask myself what was the best part of the car I would answer the engine/powertrain and the brakes , those two are the most striking features of the 918 (for me). 

I can only compare it to the Carrera GT  that I have driven several times and in my opinion the 918 is an easier car to drive at speed.
    The 918, also,  sounds great both inside and outside (due to the special position of the exhausts close to the driver and passenger)  while the Carrera GT has a great exhaust sound which you don`t actually hear when 
    you are driving in the car (unless you have the "targa" top removed).

If this is a preview of the technologies that will be introduced in the future Porsche sport cars then I believe there is a lot to look forward. Well done Porsche.
    Special mention to the instructors and staff  present  there:  top notch professionals .

Some photos 
    IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2334.jpg

20140815_184058.jpg

20140815_162039.jpg20140815_152554.jpg

How dare you post some 918 content in a Ferrari thread? 

Just kidding. Very nice write up.

The moment when the engine fires up and kicks in while at speed is a very special feeling isn't it? Nothing compares.

--

Whoopsy:

How dare you post some 918 content in a Ferrari thread? 

Just kidding. Very nice write up.

The moment when the engine fires up and kicks in while at speed is a very special feeling isn't it? Nothing compares.

ops! Sorry for that.  I see your  V12 coming soon . (I have one too but a bit older generation)

With regards to the 918 . Thank you for the kind words. I am looking forward to your real life driving impressions of the 918. A real masterpiece.

Yes when the engine fires up for the first time it is very special . It is that special feeling of experiencing  something for the first time . Really nothing compares..

Also just showed Porsche some love, just asked for a GT3RS, bumping the 6 people with deposits down one spot. Oops.

--

indecisionkiss

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Whoopsy:

Also just showed Porsche some love, just asked for a GT3RS, bumping the 6 people with deposits down one spot. Oops.

They better get used to it!

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Whoopsy:

SmileySmileyI LOVE IT!

Kinda feel a little bad, top 2 had their money down for 2 years now.

--

Great review m4ever, thanks for sharing. That 918 is really growing on me!

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Whoopsy:

Kinda feel a little bad, top 2 had their money down for 2 years now.

They will get their cars. Not to worry or feel guilty. Smiley

Maybe not. 7 allocations seems like a lot for the RS...

Pic of a friend's P1 and 918 at the Quail event in Carmel, California last week.larry p1 at quail2014.jpg

can someone tell me what colour is this one?1408653000870image.jpg

1408653000860image.jpg1408653000920image.jpg1408653000878image.jpg

To see the 918 and P1 side by side is illuminating. Clearly, the P1 comes off as the exotic car while the 918 more workman like. From a styling standpoint, the best part of the 918 is the rear.

So, all I gotta do is show up in Leipzig and they'll let me test a 918? ;)

Whoopsy:

SmileySmiley

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

noone1:

So, all I gotta do is show up in Leipzig and they'll let me test a 918? ;)

If so, I'm taking a first flight to Leipzig! Smiley

--

nberry:

From a styling standpoint, the best part of the 918 is the rear.

....and from above. A police helicopter view!

1408697081870image.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    nberry:

From a styling standpoint, the best part of the 918 is the rear.

....and from above. A police helicopter view!

1408697081870image.jpg

Cool! Smiley I saw this exact same car in Porto Cervo (Sardinia), when we were there on holiday. I clearly remember the license plate, since it's a Swiss one from the same canton where I live. 

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Futch:

Today, I think the carrera GT on supersport or cup tyres, with the roof off and an empty furka pass. Or grosscklockner pass.

My top three CGT, Lala, 4.0 and LFA. 

Shit that's four!Smiley

Futch,

Have you driven the CGT on Cup 2's?   Are they available in Carrera GT sizes?

--

Mike

Carrera GT + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T + GT3 RS 4.0

W8MM:
    Futch:

Today, I think the carrera GT on supersport or cup tyres, with the roof off and an empty furka pass. Or grosscklockner pass.

My top three CGT, Lala, 4.0 and LFA. 

Shit that's four!Smiley

Futch,

Have you driven the CGT on Cup 2's?   Are they available in Carrera GT sizes?

Hi Mike,

They are available for the front tyres and for the rear ones they are 10mm wider than OEM, section 345 instead of 335, exactly like the Supersport non N0 I have on my GT at the moment so yes they will fit.

So once my tyres are cooked, I will fit a set of Cup 2 and it should be pretty special. 

I picked up my GT today from Porsche Reading. It had been a while. What a car. Driving back to London, roof off, that noise, that gearbox, that steering response, the feeling in general, oh what an awesome car. 10 years old and still up there with the best, if not THE best frankly. I love it, I absolutely love it! Had a good chat with the boys from Reading and they've started moving seriously now too. There seems to be a new born enthusiasm for the car, which is good. I actually got a second one. GT silver with ascot brown interior, almost new, just 5000km. Actually it was a part exchange with my race car, the 2012 RSR. A good deal. Will get it in September.

There were also two 918 Spyder there, one red weissach and one grey normal. The normal one is somewhat prettier, the aero add ons on the weissach at the back are quite big and inelegant. It's a very good looking car but softer than the GT, more curves, more rounded. The interior is just awesome, there's less space than in the GT surprisingly but once you're sat, it's very nice and snug. The infotainment unit is amazing, Satnav etc, all controlled by an iPad style layout, it should hopefully trickily down future models soon. Started it up, silent in hybrid and engine fires in Sport mode, it's nice and purposeful but no way near as pretty as the noise of the V10. I bet you it goes though. Found the car really really nice but not $1m nice and there's the problem of Porsche not selling them, this is not great value wise. Curious to try one though.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689681 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409315 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255791 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235015 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65542 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858075 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774136 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM