Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ready to order Cayenne Turbo

While I wait for my dream 991 991 targa 4s/panoramic roof carerra 4s I am prepared to order a Cayenne Turbo to drive for ~1-2 yrs till the perfect 991 gets released, then Cayenne will go to my wife :)

I looked around the pre-selected models, they are all half-ass somehow, so I'm thinking to order...

What can I expect to bargain off MSRP in the US? What is the average wait time for the dealers in the US to build for specs?

Here are my specs:

Premium Package Plus

Sport Package

Meteor Grey Metallic

Two-tone Leather Interior in Umber/Cream

Deletion of Model Designation

Sport Design Package with Side Skirts

Panorama Roof System

Heated Windscreen for Thermally and Noise Insulated Privacy Glass (are there any downsides to this option?)

Bi-Xenon(TM) Headlights in Black with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)

LED Rear Lights Tinted Black with Adaptive Brake Lights

Thermally and Noise Insulated Privacy Glass (are there any downsides to this option?)

Four-tube Sports Tailpipes

8-speed Tiptronic S Inclusive Auto Start Stop Function (If you don't order it how does it come?)

21" Cayenne SportEdition Wheel Painted Black with Wheel Arch Extension (Are 21s comfortable on potholes? for the winter I'll do 19" with winter tires)

Exclusive Adaptive Sports Seats with Comfort Memory Package (these seats vs the other ones?)

Key pouch in Leather

Door sill guards in Carbon Fiber illuminated

Carbon Fiber Interior Package Including Selector Lever

Telephone Module

Preparation for Porsche Rear Seat Entertainment

Porsche Rear Seat Entertainment Exclusive (is it worth the price? - please only people with kids answer)

Voice Control

SiriusXMTM Satellite Radio + HD Radio® (probably useless?)

Did I miss anything??

Thanks for your answers :) I promise lots of pics once it's delivered.Screen shot 2012-01-22 at 1.55.44 AM.pngScreen shot 2012-01-22 at 1.56.20 AM.png

Re: Ready to order Cayenne Turbo

I'll remove the xm&hd radios and add carbon heated steering wheel...
    does the rear seat entertainment system look like it's a time capsule product from 2004? why can't they just have the iPad holders with chargers... :)

RC - do you approve the configuration? Smiley

a less exclusive option

Screen shot 2012-01-22 at 2.23.20 AM.png

:)

I don't know how the roads are in the Montreal area, but if they are comparable to the greater NYC area, I would stick to 20". I have 21" and they are great if you live in Switzerland or Germany, but not if you live in the US. I wouldn't choose them. Again I don't know the roads in Montreal.

Nice spec, take the black head and taillights (as you selected), they look great. I would also go with the black package because you have black wheels. The window chrome doesn't look good on the Cayenne IMHO.

Color and wheels are personal, but consider the Umber exterior, it looks special and will work great with your interior. (You can find some pics from SuperDario's Cayenne Turbo).

I really like the Panorama roof so keep that too!

wink

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Montreal has some of the worst roads in North America, you can get potholes the size of meteor craters, its funny how the second you cross the border from quebec into ontario or the Us the roads become smooth and decent to drive.

BlackSparrow:

I'll remove the xm&hd radios and add carbon heated steering wheel...
    does the rear seat entertainment system look like it's a time capsule product from 2004? why can't they just have the iPad holders with chargers... :)

RC - do you approve the configuration? Smiley

XM Radio would be very important for me...I love XM Radio(I listen to it through my Sonos system, don't even ask how I managed to get a subscription Smiley) and I would love having it in Germany in my car(s) but unfortunately there is no XM Radio in Europe.

Yes, the rear entertainment system sucks big time. If you have kids, buy them iPads, they are going to be happier. My kids have used the rear entertainment system in the X5M once and prefer using their iPads. Never again. iPad holders should be available aftermarket but my kids prefer keeping their iPads in their hands, no need for that.

Sport Design package ? Really ? It reduces off-road capability. Bette go for 20'' wheels and the Powerkit instead, better for potholes and bad streets and better for performance driving, when needed. Isn't there also some sort of undercarriage protection (engine, fuel tank, etc.) available ?

Do you really need those expensive carbon door sills ? They are only visible when you open the door(s).

Themally & noise insulated glass ? This takes away a lot from driving fun (engine/exhaust sound). I would choose the privacy glass instead only.

Umber/cream ? With kids ? You don't want to do that. What about Espresso and Cognac instead ? It is slightly darker but still looks nice. Not sure however if this color works with Meteor-grey.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (May 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Why not wait for the Cayenne Turbo S, which should (RC?) arrive soon.  Lots of your selected options will be included.

If not, I love your choices.  I will differ with RC a bit on the rear entertainment system, but only if you travel a lot with your kids.  My kids have all the IPAD gizmos, but get carsick if they play with them on trips.  They much prefer the rear entertainment system which they can look up and see better.  On an eight hour trip, I can tell you that quiet and comfortable kids are a gift from Heaven.

And I lke the carbon sills, especially the illuminated ones.  Expensive sure, but that extra cool touch at night when you open the door...

The rear entertainment system is a waste of money in my opinion. Kids don't get car sick because they look down at iPads, either they get car sick or not. There is a pretty good medication for that, so providing it in advance saves you from a lot of trouble. We had a rear entertainment system in the Cayenne Turbo S and once the iPads were here, our kids didn't bother anymore. Same with the X5M now, we have an entertainment system incl. digital TV reception but they used it once or twice and since then, iPads only. Kids... There are also special iPad holders available which can be fixed to the front headrest(s), so you just have to slip the iPad in and voila...perfect rear entertainment system. We had some of those for two months and I gave them away because our kids never used them. They love watching videos/movies but they also play a lot and it is kind of annoying for them to slip the iPads into the holders for watching videos and taking them out again for playing games.

Oh, forgot one thing (which is quite interesting) regarding car sickness: Our kids made complaints from day one that the "air" in the rear of the X5M is bad and that they get car sick very fast. I didn't believe them at first because it didn't make any sense. One day, I took the kids on a longer ride in a Panamera. Surprisingly, they didn't feel car sick and the "air" was OK too. I was wondering what was different and I realized that the Panamera has rear air vents for the A/C next to the door. Same with the former Cayenne Turbo S we owned. The X5M doesn't. I think this is the reason why they don't feel too good in the X5M...the missing rear vents. Fresh air is only coming from the middle console and apparently this isn't enough for the kids in the rear.

Yes, the carbon door sills look nice, especially when they are illuminated but who actually sees this stuff ? They cost so much money, I would rather put this money into performance options liket he powerkit.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (May 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC, Wonderbar and 993Targa, thanks for you answers, you guys are very helpful!

RC - I am not a performance man anymore, I like cuter things in comparison to faster things :)

When is Turbo S expected to come out?  They usually include so many options by default that it becomes "cheaper" and way better for resale.

BlackSparrow:

When is Turbo S expected to come out?  They usually include so many options by default that it becomes "cheaper" and way better for resale.

To my knowledge, the Cayenne Turbo S should be presented after the Cayenne GTS (spring ?). So maybe autumn ? Not sure though. A stronger Diesel is also in the works, so I'm not sure where the priorities lie. Smiley

If you don't care about performance anymore, why not get the new Cayenne GTS instead ? Should save you a bunch of money... Smiley

--

RC, Air suspension is a deal breaker.  I'm sticking around with Turbo... going to place an order soon :)

BlackSparrow:

RC, Air suspension is a deal breaker.  I'm sticking around with Turbo... going to place an order soon :)

I have to admit that I don't understand: Why is the air suspension a deal breaker ? It is standard on the Turbo and very likely standard or optional on the GTS. Smiley

--

I looked at Cayenne S and it take $56K of options on a $65k car :) to bring it to the same specs as 25k of options on Turbo... I am assuming that the story is going to be the same with GTS...  that the total will be close to turbo, but it's going to be less of a car :)

but yes, I didn't realize that air suspension is such a cheap option.

I have a few more questions:

I want the heated multifunction steering wheel, but it conflicts with the sport package :)

how needed are PDCC and PTV Plus?  they cost $3500 together in the sport package, but separately they cost $5000.  for $3,500 I would get them, but $5000 is a more serious number...  with the multifunction wheel - which ones would you choose? PDCC, PTV Plus, both or none?

Are PCCBs worth it?  in 100k km you would have to change breaks at least once, right? 

Another question that I am split on (a matter of taste) - Carbon or Yachting Mahogany? :)))  exterior - umber, interior - umber/light tartufo

sorry for so many questions, last batch and I'm off your backs :))) OCD is for sure present :)

If you don't need the powerkit, you don't need PDCC and PTV plus. broken heart Same reply goes to PCCB...

Powerkit, PDCC, PTV plus and PCCB would have been my options though...as fast as possible... 

Yachting Mahogany looks very classy but not sporty. If you prefer elegant over sporty, it is perfect.

Do you really want to choose an umber exterior ? My son called it "kaki" once, which translates into "shit". indecision Just saying...  The interior is a different story but brown tones really don't fit large cars too well.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (April 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I have heard that the PDCC is problematic with sensors frequently breaking or needing adjustment. Anyone else have feedback on this?  I think the concept is cool, but not if it's unreliable. 

GM Austin:

I have heard that the PDCC is problematic with sensors frequently breaking or needing adjustment. Anyone else have feedback on this?  I think the concept is cool, but not if it's unreliable. 

never... in fact there is so much upside and user satisfaction in having the PDCC that all my cars now have ceramics including the new orders...

I like umber and your chosen interior (see Super Darius car on Cayenne thread) and PCCBs--though not necessary--will be nice color combo with exterior. I would choose carbon for sport/techno look, yachting for elegance.

What does your wife like, since she will be getting car?

Also I would get wheel arches in body color if that option is available...

Umber is a beautiful color on the Cayenne. Don't listen to RC's son indecision, just look at Darius pics. My girlfriend also really likes umber, and probably would have preferred it over white. You can get the wheel arches in body color.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

:)))) My wife likes Amber, but the local dealers do not have it, so it's a blind pick.  Darius pics are great, but I'm scared that the colour might not look good.. it might look like a good colour for Subaru Forester :))  so I'm going for dark grey.. it's a nice colour.

I decided not to go crazy on the options, keep the total in 135k range (from 107k) (USD)

thanks a lot for your advices everyone!  I will post pics in the summer!  Going back to the 991 911 threads :)))))

GM Austin:

I have had this option on both of my last two Cayenne Turbos  - with no issues. In my opinion its an absolute must - one really feels the difference even in relatively slow cornering.

That's good to hear. It has some off-road benefits as well. 

I ended up placing the order a few days ago.  Exterior: jet black, Interior: Espresso / Cognac, sport package, premium package, blacked out, PCCB, premium sound, ...  and european delivery.  Very happy about the purchase even though that the facelift news are out there... It's going to be a beautiful vehicle and my wife and I will have a lot of fun driving it through Europe :)

Facelift news ??? The Cayenne facelift won't be available before 2014, so you're good.  I think you misunderstood that part when I claimed that the facelift might be announced in 2013 already but it won't be available before 2014.

2013 is the year of the Macan...nothing is going to happen with the Cayenne.

If you are close to Munich by any chance during your European delivery trip, drop me a PM shortly before that, maybe we can meet. Enjoy your trip and I assume you were wise enough to plan your trip from June to September ? Later on, the weather becomes quite uncomfortable in major parts of central Europe.

Do you already have an estimated delivery date ?

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I kind-of hoped that facelift would go in 2015... with 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 model years being pre-facelift.  4 years is not much to ask for :)  I ended up buying it from a Canadian dealership, so the price was hefty... and for that price you hope to get something that will get a WOW-factor for a few years from the driver (me) and from others as well :)  anyhow it is done, I'm happily waiting for it now :)

I'm assuming that the date will be late june, early july.  Munich is my favourite city in Germany, I will stop by for sure and will send you a PM!!  it'll be super to meet you.

Hi Black Sparrow, and congratulations on your new Cayenne.  We picked up our Cayenne Turbo S at the Leipzig plant in April, 2009, then drove it for two weeks throughout Germany, Switzerland and France.  You will love the experience.  If you need any travel or other tips, post some replies or send a PM. 

Late June or early July would be perfect, no school vacation, so I should be available at the weekends.

Munich is great in June/July, when the weather is nice and people are actually...happy. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Wonderbar - thanks, I'll message you when it gets closer :)

RC - ya, Germany in the summer is a more pleasant place.  But Munhen is much better than others.  In Frankfurt you will rarely see a smile on people's faces regardless of the time of the year :)))

--
    2012 Cayenne TT (on order for june 2012), 997.1 Targa 4s, 2009 Q5 3.2

Berlin, IMHO, is a must anytime.  Wonderful hotels, music, theatre, museums, history...

Berlin is on the destination list!

This is the planned route: http://g.co/maps/scvxa

I travelled a bit more than my wife... so she needs to catch up on Geneva, Marseille, and other cities that I would not visit otherwise :)

--
    2012 Cayenne TT (on order for june 2012), 997.1 Targa 4s, 2009 Q5 3.2

Adlon Kempinski by the Brandenburg Gate is topnotch, with very safe parking garage underneath.  Also, we lived in Aix-en-Provence for two years and I know Marseille and Provence very well.  Send a PM if you want planning tips.

I may be coming to Montreal in late March to look at McGill with my college bound daughter.  May be fun to meet...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763887 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436210 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260910 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257867 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82581 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876608 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808570 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM