Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The new M5 - Official Specs

Real Zeus as to RC's question, what sports car did you own lately?

You seem so incredibly confident of your opinions that one would "guess" you have either extensive experience (i.e. ownership) of at least 1 example of most sports cars out there or actually .. none...!

There are advantages and disadvantages in all different systems (fwd vs 4wd vs red, N/A vs turbo, front engine vs mid engine vs rear engine). However is this discussion as power and torque goes up, 4wd shines in customer applications and apparently most forms of racing as well.

Engine sound is really disappointing...

--

911 Carrera 3.2 - Cayenne Diesel

Mikla:

Engine sound is really disappointing...

Yes, unfortunately the M5 sounds like the X5M...which is disappointing too. From inside however, the sound of the M5 is better because of the sound engineering coming from the loudspeakers inside the car (kind of weird if you ask me but hey, we live in the 21st century...).

One thing is for sure though: The M5 twin turbo charged engine, similar to the X5M engine, has no lag whatsoever, it is really unbelievable. Very nice and linear throttle response, I never experienced something like that with other manufacturers and their turbo charged engines.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (April 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

REALZEUS:

This had nothing to do with 4WD. A RWD 458 is quicker than a GTR. All this test showed is that the GTR is a supercar, whereas the M5 a fast saloon.

it seems you constantly ignoring some hart facts.

the 458 get beaten from a stand as the r8v10 as the sls etc from the gtr (530Hp). And even at 125 mph the gtr was leading in this test. So i dont see the point why the m5 should not get beaten from the gtr (550Hp) from a stand still...

(ok your argumentation will be, this test is not in italie  and therefor not correct...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDP7Pty8Qnw

From a stand still you need a 911 turbo s to hold up with a the 550 hp gtr, or maybee the mclaren.

Speeds above 200kmh is an other story, but i am also sure the m5 can keep up on higher speed with the gtr, for sure..

Hi RC need some advice. I currently drive a C 63 " GREAT CAR" have also had 2 M5'S AND 3 M3's ( lOVE BMW TOO)

DSG box on the E60 was terrible. My dilemma is i have always wanted a Porsche and love the look of the new 991.

After reading the very insightful reviews from yourself and Carlos i want the car more than ever !! My problem is i have 3 kids so for a DD the Porshe is really a compromise. I am seriously looking at the new M5 it seems they have corrected most of the issues from the E60. Not made about the Panamera so its either M5 or 991. I guess what i am askingis the Porsche such a step up from the Merc or BMW that it warrants maybe even getting a cheap 4 door runabout to use on the occasions when i am tight for space or do i go M5 and then have all bases covered ?

Hi guys, I haven't been here for awhile!  Here is my take on the M5 from my drive back in Nov.

http://www.ausmotive.com/2012/02/06/tried-and-tested-bmw-m5.html

Na Mezger:

Hi RC need some advice. I currently drive a C 63 " GREAT CAR" have also had 2 M5'S AND 3 M3's ( lOVE BMW TOO)

DSG box on the E60 was terrible. My dilemma is i have always wanted a Porsche and love the look of the new 991.

After reading the very insightful reviews from yourself and Carlos i want the car more than ever !! My problem is i have 3 kids so for a DD the Porshe is really a compromise. I am seriously looking at the new M5 it seems they have corrected most of the issues from the E60. Not made about the Panamera so its either M5 or 991. I guess what i am askingis the Porsche such a step up from the Merc or BMW that it warrants maybe even getting a cheap 4 door runabout to use on the occasions when i am tight for space or do i go M5 and then have all bases covered ?

Well, as you may know, I also own a X5M and the engine is quite the same, just not the gearbox (automatic).

The new M5 is a spectacular car for little money (compared to the Panamera for example) but there will be one little detail which will drive you nuts, coming from a C63 AMG: The sound (exhaust/engine). The C63 has the best V8 sound available on the market, even the Panamera Turbo with sport exhaust can't beat it. If you are willing to sacrifice that, the M5 is a fantastic car. Even more if you don't need AWD.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (April 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC

Thanks for reply, I really dont need AWD as the weather here is perfect, have an Rs4 as well and find the AWD a little boring. Yes the C 63 has a great exhaust note, however i believe the new 991 with sports exhaust is sublime too.

Any ideas on the 991 v M5 dilemma or are they just so different that you cant  compare the 2 ?

WAY, thanks for the take on the M5, VERY INSIGHTFUL

Na Mezger:

RC

Thanks for reply, I really dont need AWD as the weather here is perfect, have an Rs4 as well and find the AWD a little boring. Yes the C 63 has a great exhaust note, however i believe the new 991 with sports exhaust is sublime too.

Any ideas on the 991 v M5 dilemma or are they just so different that you cant  compare the 2 ?

You can't compare the M5 to the 991 but if you do not need another sedan, go for the 991...of course.

If you aren't in a hurry, wait for the 991 Turbo. This should be an amazing car and performer.

--

RC

Thanks, not in a hurry, will probably go the Porsche route !!

Na Mezger:

I guess what i am asking is the Porsche such a step up from the Merc or BMW that it warrants maybe even getting a cheap 4 door runabout to use on the occasions when i am tight for space....?

This.  Yes.  No doubt.  Smiley

PureBlue

tks , leaning very much that way just need the nudge, would you recommend 997.2 well optioned or go 991 ?

Acc to most of what i have read the PDK is much improved on the 991 and the car will still be a daily driver

If you're looking to buy a new 911 as a daily driver (with PDK), then definitely go for a 991.  In fact, you don't really have an option, as production of the 997 Carrera range has effectively come to an end.  Pricing of the 991 is surprisingly good here in SA - I think the Carrera S starts at about R1.13m, whereas the 997 GTS started at R1.15m (before adding options).  If you order now, you should be in line for delivery by mid-year.

If you're looking to buy used, there are a few well-optioned, low-mileage GTSs starting to come onto the market now.  (Porsche Centre Jhb has been advertising an Aqua Blue GTS with PDK and a host of options).  Prices are holding up well though, so you're not going to get much change from R1.2m - so may as well go for a 991.

Given that you want to use the car as a daily driver, I'm assuming you're not interested in the "special" models, i.e. Turbo, GT3, GT2 RS, etc - because that's a whole other ball game.

Whichever way you go, you can't go wrong with a 911 - and you'll never regret it (except when you realise what it's doing to your wallet).  Smiley

PureBlue

thanks for the advice everything u mentioned all make sense to me. The GTS is simply stunning and great value with all the options that they made standard here, just love the slightly wider rear end. That blue one u are talking about is a 4 but i think on the GTS this is a waste as it already has the wider hips, i don't believe you need 4wd here in SA !!

Am actually nuts about the GT cars specifically the GT3 and RS, i think they are the best sounding cars on the road and i love the rawness !! I had a M3 CSL which i still regret selling, it was very involving which i suspect the GT3 will be like but amplified greatly. 

Unfortunately my budget does not allow for the indulgence of a GT3 at this stage as i would not be able to use it daily. Thanks again for the comments and advice.

Dario:
    REALZEUS:

This had nothing to do with 4WD. A RWD 458 is quicker than a GTR. All this test showed is that the GTR is a supercar, whereas the M5 a fast saloon.

it seems you constantly ignoring some hart facts.

the 458 get beaten from a stand as the r8v10 as the sls etc from the gtr (530Hp). And even at 125 mph the gtr was leading in this test. So i dont see the point why the m5 should not get beaten from the gtr (550Hp) from a stand still...

(ok your argumentation will be, this test is not in italie  and therefor not correct...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDP7Pty8Qnw

From a stand still you need a 911 turbo s to hold up with a the 550 hp gtr, or maybee the mclaren.

Speeds above 200kmh is an other story, but i am also sure the m5 can keep up on higher speed with the gtr, for sure..

Au contraire mon ami, I for one believe in hard facts. These are the best numbers achieved by these cars in independent test. If you choose to believe a single video on an airstrip instead of serious timed runs on tracks though, be my guest.

GT-R                          458

Max speed 315 kph 330 kph
    0 - 100 kph 2.8 s 3.1 s
    0 - 100 mph 7.2 s 6.2 s
    0 - 60 mph 2.7 s 3.0 s
    0 - 150 mph 17.8 s 15.0 s
    1/4 mile 10.8 s @ 124 mph 10.8 s @ 134 mph
    Power/weight ratio 312 bhp/tonne 378 bhp/tonne

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Au contraire mon ami, I for one believe in hard facts. These are the best numbers achieved by these cars in independent test. If you choose to believe a single video on an airstrip instead of serious timed runs on tracks though, be my guest.

GT-R                          458

Max speed 315 kph 330 kph
    0 - 100 kph 2.8 s 3.1 s
    0 - 100 mph 7.2 s 6.2 s
    0 - 60 mph 2.7 s 3.0 s
    0 - 150 mph 17.8 s 15.0 s
    1/4 mile 10.8 s @ 124 mph 10.8 s @ 134 mph
    Power/weight ratio 312 bhp/tonne 378 bhp/tonne

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Je sui pas avec toi mon pot, what is better to compare Same day Same external car against car... or some numbers from maybee dif days dif mag's and no vid. proof.

or do you have another vid from a stand witch proofs the oposit

Any how in this test the gtr 530 hp owned them all from a stand up to 120mph. ( thats beeing said from a non gtr )

We (actually a good friend) did our own test run with a 458 Italia and achieved the following values (performance box with GPS). Outside temperature was around 20°C.

0-100 kph in 3.6 seconds

0-160 kph in 7.1 seconds

0-200 kph in 10.7 seconds

Vmax was 322 kph in one direction and 327 kph in the other direction.

I'm sorry but I highly doubt the 0-160 kph in 6.2 seconds claim, unless this was a factory car. Smiley

With some luck, we will do our own 458 Spider test in May or so. Smiley

--

Various mags have achieved 0-160 (100 mph) in less than 7 sec RC. The best was this 6.2, by Automobilismo if I am not mistaken. QR did it in 6.5 and R&T in 6.7s.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Mate, Ferrari has been caught "tuning" and prepping their test cars numerous times... It's pathetic really.

Come on now! Is that really a line of defence? McLaren sends entire test teams with their MP4 12C and all turbocharged cars can be easily tuned! At least NA cars such as Ferraris and Lamborghinis cannot be turned like that in an instant like a GTR for example; all you need is a laptop really to up the pressure. The silliness that Harris started about tuned Ferraris, collapsed a long time ago!

This was never meant to be about Ferrari anyway. It was just an example of a RWD car. Take the Noble if you may or a GT2 RS.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I am not defending anything because there is no argument here.. AWD cars are superior kiss

You seem to disagree with all racing drivers around the world though. Keep in mind that I am talking about fair weather conditions and good tarmac here.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

You seem to disagree with all racing drivers around the world though. Keep in mind that I am talking about fair weather conditions and good tarmac here.

REALZEUS:

Why do you limit to ONLY fair weather AND good tarmac? So 1% of all the scenarios?

How about we only limit the race to 0-60? Or a race on ice track? Or only desert rally? Or only how about we only compare slalom times in the rain? etc.

IF rwd is really that superior over awd, then weather and road don't matter.

You are just inviting more abuse from the others.

Some great responses... indecision

REALZEUS:

hahaha, how many racing drivers have you asked lately? I know for a fact ALL of them enjoy RWD driving more, as do most all of us here on RT.

But I repeat, AWD is far superior.. in most all scenarios. ESPECIALLY those encountered most of the time.. leaves (fall), rain (all seasons), snow (winters) etc...

RC:

We (actually a good friend) did our own test run with a 458 Italia and achieved the following values (performance box with GPS). Outside temperature was around 20°C.

0-100 kph in 3.6 seconds

0-160 kph in 7.1 seconds

0-200 kph in 10.7 seconds

Vmax was 322 kph in one direction and 327 kph in the other direction.

I'm sorry but I highly doubt the 0-160 kph in 6.2 seconds claim, unless this was a factory car. Smiley

With some luck, we will do our own 458 Spider test in May or so. Smiley

This numbers pretty match the Sport Auto supertest numbers as well

Isn't it funny: The only day where I had the opportunity to test the M5, starts with fresh snow in Bavaria. But it's also a good opportunity to find out if a M5 with 560 hp and RWD is actually that undriveable in the snow. In the brief clip I'm standing at a significant light gradient. The traction (with a bit of wheel spin) isn't bad for a RWD but far from an AWD. Still, it was great fun for me to romp with the M5  through the snow.

http://youtu.be/MTBnl3HCpeo

M5 Winter2.jpg

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

That's not from the mechanical traction grip. The car's computer helped a lot with the electronic traction control.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762796 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435557 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260616 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257642 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80968 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872472 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807862 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM