Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991... (LAUNCH thread)

KMM:
    W8MM:
    MKSGR:

I don't like the side-rear view in black with black rims. Somehow the rear lights look much too small in that color combo.

I imagine I'm in a small minority on this forum, but I don't like black rims -- ever.

+1.

Add me to the minority.

Most of the time I'd agree but on the right car with the right color combo black wheels can really make it the stuff of dreams.

I dream in color.

On the 7-speed manual trannie on the Carrera S 991: there are 2 magazines out today with detiailed tests...

Chris Harris in EVO #165 Jan : He compares a PDK-991 with a 997-Gen1 GT3 in a USA test [no manuals]. He notes that with quick presses of a few buttons it can be  comfortable GT-like or as a sports car for the track weekend...very impressed, concerns dealt with. As fast as the previous gen GT3, around the North Loop in Germany.

Andrew Frankel in  "GTPorsche" UK, January : 7speed manual and PDK. Brilliant with PDK...mesmerizing. Manual: cf to 997, poorer shift qualilty, also disliked volume [i.e. 7 rather then 6 causes issues in selection] and ratios, and >driveline shunt. Still the car was 'good, b...good'...With PDK, not just a great Porsche, it's a fabulous 911 too. Mostly OK with me...most of my order stands, but oNLY with a PDK!.

Manual 'a > step back.'..and note, the 'vastly improved PDK' : he would [as a guy usually preferring a manual] for 1st time likely take PDK for himself. Ouch Ouch! Frankel is a very good writer /tester...value his opinions much.

Adam Towler in '911 and Porsche World' UK  Jan2012: 'biggest single leap in the evolution of the 911'. Most detailed test of the 3...well done...also reports on opinions of other colleagues at the Porsche-event . I am clearly going to enjoy this car [with the PDK...only due to vast improvements; as I dislike the 1st Gen PDK very much...[low speed jerkiness, and unpleasnat software choices in the PDK options]. He and others did not generally endorse/like the manual [f'eel' not nice], and the several manual cars there were each different [all less good than the 997's manual!] ...he said he would need more time to get to know it ! Further: like the 458, the 991 felt as tho' it had been developed around THAT transmission. ..Another who went in expecting to prefer the manual, [if they were both done well] quickly found that the PDK matched the car much better.

Unless the manual has been improved [as these tests were written ~4 weeks ago], as in the cars to be tested by a group of  US/Canada 'Porsche dealers' this week, I will have to change my order from manual, to PDK....which is a B... shame [if they are both done well, I choose manuals based upon my driving/road contours and typical choice of the drive]. Assuming [hoping, although the fact it was the PDK 'box' /twin shaft, but with a dry clutch in front of it was worrying me!]  the manual was a good as in my 997, I had ordered a manual some months ago for delivery in 3 months from the PDK sales [Feb 4 in Canada]....they are not manufactured off the line in the 1st 3 months of production. These are early cars, and Porsche are NOT going to like these reviews on the manual...not a BIGGY for them as the PDK dominate European sales, but not in the US/Canada, where we are ~ 55% manual.

I had actually heard a few months ago, that the manual was proving difficult to 'sign off' with ZF, and that production could be delayed!  May still be friends!

KiwiCanuck

dxpetrov:

Black wheels on lighter colours only! But, white on white is pure sex!

Again +1 Smiley

HeavyMetalThunder:
    dxpetrov:

Black wheels on lighter colours only! But, white on white is pure sex!

Again +1 Smiley

-1 Smiley

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

stop arguing about tastes :))))

BlackSparrow:

stop arguing about tastes :))))

Until someone here actually owns a 991 there's not much left to argue about (discuss)...Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Am on my way to Valencia for the press launch, hoping for an opportunity to drive a car with the 7 spd manual and no PDCC to compare. Will be posting updates in english on the Asphalte.ch Google+ page and here if time allows !
    --

997 GT3 - 550M - 355 GTS F1 - Prius - Audi S5 Sportback

very much looking foward to your impressions on the 7-speed manual! 

--

Dito. I ordered a manual without having driving one, not available at dealers near my home so far. So I am a bit nervous about some reports which stated it may be a bit worse than the old manual.

Wonderbar:

I am a bit over this 911 "Identity" thing.  I surely understand what Porsche is doing here, promoting the new 991 and paying sincere homage to the past.  I get it, and wow do I like the new 991.

But to me Porsche would do well to emphasize the path from early cars, and their Porsche family creators, up to and including the 911 which came along well after a wonderful identity was already in place.  In this video, for example, a second or two more about the pre-911 cars and the Porsche family would have rung my identity bell.  The identity is not just a design or even an engineering feat--it's the name of a man and a family.  Last time I checked, there was no Dr. Lexus, Dr. Chevrolet, or Dr. Nissan....

Very well said! So disregarding all that CGI bullcrap, I think this is a much better video.

Lukas:

Also saw this yesterday. It's GREAT! Exactly my build with black wheels, apart from that I will have it in Basalt black instead of solid black smiley

1929_1.jpg1929_3.jpg

Guys, our order is very similar to this one, except for the black wheels painted, but dark grey painted !!! IMO looks one of the best looking 991 so far.

What option in the configurator is that front lip ????????? I dont see any sportdesign front package or similar...

--

Alex: The front lip is part of the Sport-PASM option with -20mm lowered chassie. The rear spoiler also rises higher than normal if SPASM is ordered.

Take a look at this video. Good illustration showing this - starting at 2:35 Smiley

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

thanks Lukas, excellent illustrations !kiss

--

turbolite

Excellent lukas !!!! Thanks a lot for the vid !!! kiss....but you ruined my day !!! Lol.indecision

We havent ordered SPASm and/or -20mm.....

I am sure that front lip can be retrofitted by the dealer.....

The rear spoiler looks awesome when fully opened equipped with SPASM !!!! It reminded me to the veyron rear spoiler when braking lol.

--

Carrara:

Very well said! So disregarding all that CGI bullcrap, I think this is a much better video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS90XYXi1xg&feature=relmfu

Great video Carrara..Smiley

Methinks that, with testing in these extremes, it's a wonder that first generation versions experience any teething problems whatsoever.  But they always do...Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Won't be writing much about the 7 speed manual because there are none around. ALL dealer and PR cars were built from July through October with the same base specs: Carrera S, PDK, Sport Chrono pack, and loaded with options. Some have PDCC, some don't, but the options list is largely the same. A few special spec cars were commissioned later for PR purposes, such as the PCCB, sunroof-less car used by Sport Auto, but these were exceptions.

Still had plenty of face time with a very friendly Michael Schaetzle, and learned a lot of interesting facts and anecdotes. Sadly, the internet connection here is quasi-atrocious, so I wasted a lot of time putting a few pics online before today's long drive. Will be sharing more on G+ as time allows. But first things first ;-)

--

Thanks zeshark. I was hopping to read about the 7 speed manual as they are more and more rumors saying it is a step back. So I would of been nice to hear from a trusted source.  We will just have to wait !

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Can anyone identify this color?

--
    All my automotive & motorcycle renders in full resolution: Milanno Artworks

difficult to say with all that dirt :-)
    pretty sure its agate grey and not antracite brown, is too light for basalt black also in my opinion
    but always hard to be 100% sure as camera settings and light conditions can make a huge difference

seranad:

difficult to say with all that dirt :-)
    pretty sure its agate grey and not antracite brown, is too light for basalt black also in my opinion
    but always hard to be 100% sure as camera settings and light conditions can make a huge difference

Exactly my thought.

Agate grey IMO

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

In some of those shots, it looks almost like Atlas Grey (which is a very deceptive colour - it looks grey in certain lighting conditions, blue in others, and even black sometimes).  In others, however, it looks too light for Atlas, so my best bet would be Agate Grey as well.

Agate under Frankfurt lights, for comparison.  I think the 991 pic is Agate as wellfrankfurt 001 debut 043.jpg

After a morning blast on desert mountain roads in the Valencia back country, the (slight) reservations I had on the 991 Carrera S PDK have evaporated on scorched rubber and heated disc brakes. I already knew the handling knew that the handling is brilliant, it truly shone on these twisty and narrow mountainous roads. The engine on this 7000km car was a lot more lively, pulling hard from 3000rpm all the way to the 7600rpm redline, with that eager bite in the throttle response that only great naturally aspirated engines procure. PDK brilliant, a bit sluggish when cold, taking its time to shift until the oil got warm. Responsive, predictable, playful. A not so small detail on the box: in Sport Plus mode, some say it will upshift at redline, some say it won't. Both are right, or wrong. Reality is that it depends on the throttle position. If you mash it down to the kickdown switch, it will upshift. If you stop your foot against the switch, it will bump against the limiter.

So PDK or 7spd manual ? Still don't know. Porsche is so focused on the PDK, so it's down to customers or dealers to let you sample one. Michael Schaetzle still has a soft spot for the manual, but is quick to point out that a manual does not work the electronic diff as well as the PDK, and it shows in slippery conditions where a manual can't keep up. Schaetzle told me he prefers the manual, but the PDK works the diff better and is not possible to follow in slippery conditions, let alone snow, with a manual.

PDCC or not ? Don't know either. Only a couple of cars were not equipped, and not labelled as such either, so it's hard to hold a comparison. In doubt, I'd tick the box.

So after a second day behind the wheel, I am even more convinced than before. I used the terrm 'comical' and it made some cringe. How about brutal ? And yes, I have a 997 too ...

I have nice pics, insights and videos, more to come ...

--

Thanx guys. Seems Agate Grey was that color!

--
    All my automotive & motorcycle renders in full resolution: Milanno Artworks

Speaking of colors. A handsome addition to the palette: Anthracite Brown. Looks dark grey when the sky is overcast, but gains very nice hues under shallow sunlight.

Porsche 991 Anthracite Brown

--

zeshark:
    After a morning blast on desert mountain roads in the Valencia back country, the (slight) reservations I had on the 991 Carrera S PDK have evaporated on scorched rubber and heated disc brakes. I already knew the handling knew that the handling is brilliant, it truly shone on these twisty and narrow mountainous roads. The engine on this 7000km car was a lot more lively, pulling hard from 3000rpm all the way to the 7600rpm redline, with that eager bite in the throttle response that only great naturally aspirated engines procure. PDK brilliant, a bit sluggish when cold, taking its time to shift until the oil got warm. Responsive, predictable, playful. A not so small detail on the box: in Sport Plus mode, some say it will upshift at redline, some say it won't. Both are right, or wrong. Reality is that it depends on the throttle position. If you mash it down to the kickdown switch, it will upshift. If you stop your foot against the switch, it will bump against the limiter.

So PDK or 7spd manual ? Still don't know. Porsche is so focused on the PDK, so it's down to customers or dealers to let you sample one. Michael Schaetzle still has a soft spot for the manual, but is quick to point out that a manual does not work the electronic diff as well as the PDK, and it shows in slippery conditions where a manual can't keep up. Schaetzle told me he prefers the manual, but the PDK works the diff better and is not possible to follow in slippery conditions, let alone snow, with a manual.

PDCC or not ? Don't know either. Only a couple of cars were not equipped, and not labelled as such either, so it's hard to hold a comparison. In doubt, I'd tick the box.

So after a second day behind the wheel, I am even more convinced than before. I used the terrm 'comical' and it made some cringe. How about brutal ? And yes, I have a 997 too ...

I have nice pics, insights and videos, more to come ...

Good write-up!

how is the 7-speed in the 991 compared to the 6-speed in the 997? any thoughts?

BTW, makes sense what Schaetzle said about the difference between the differential's effectiveness in the PDK vs manual since in the manual its mechanical but in the PDK its fully electronic with its PTV "Plus".

--

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/277804/porsche_911_carrera_s.html

"Porsche puts the 0-62mph time at 4.5 seconds for our manual-equipped model, but it feels far quicker than that. 

The gearbox itself is special because it’s a seven-speed manual, and although most cars sold will be equipped with the PDK semi-auto, the manual is a treat to use. The shift is direct, and has just the right balance between being notchy and light. At one point early in our drive we found seventh when looking for fifth, but soon got used to the layout. "

"At motorway speeds there’s a huge amount of road noise, which seems slightly at odds with the 911’s new-found GT character."

Strange comment from Auto Express.  All other reviewers noted that road noise (a 997 weakness) is very subdued cheeky

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752939 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430616 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258547 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868210 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801748 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM