Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The new M5 - Official Specs

If you think this guy has no snow tires...look again. He has.

A small spot of ice and RWD is done. No thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMnR5vbIyNw&feature=related

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (May 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Oh...not sure if this video has been posted yet but it allows to listen to the engine/exhaust sound pretty well. Not much difference to my X5M though...pretty pathetic. laugh

Good news for the driver and passengers though: It sounds better from the inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf98Wg-qcaI&feature=related

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (May 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Stig drives new M5...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzJtokF4VKs&feature=related

--

RC:
    REALZEUS:

You have to bear in mind that not all people live in snow laden places, hence it is not prudent to ridicule BMW for offering the car with the sportiest of choice for its transmission. I understand that you might want a 4WD vehicle for your weather conditions, but BMW decided that the M5 is not such a vehicle and that the 550X and X5/6M are the vehicles you want. The M5 is a sportier, summer vehicle.

True. A sportier summer vehicle. Then...why would someone get a M5 as a sportier summer vehicle ? Family ? Smiley

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure the M5 is a fantastic ride but my dealer already testdrove one and reported that the DSC warning lamp came on very often (and he really isn't the best driver...I hope he doesn't read this Smiley). Are you suggesting to drive the M5 on a public street with DSC turned off completely ? Most amateur drivers would crash the car sooner or later.

We're not talking about a race car here, we're talking about a sporty sedan, mostly for daily driving. Sorry but I still think that this car should have AWD but I'm also pretty sure that many will buy the M5 who actually don't need that kind of room. Why not go for the upcoming M6 instead ? Would somehow make more sense to me. Still no AWD though. Smiley

Yes, family and/or the need to carry more than one passenger, while retaining a sporty edge is the raison d' etre of the M5. At the same time, daddy can become somewhat of a hooligan in the same car when he is not ferrying the family around. Win-win scenario if you ask me! Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

At 46, my hooligan times are over and I prefer just to be fast...and to win. indecision

wink

--

We're not talking about a race car here, we're talking about a sporty sedan, mostly for daily driving. Sorry but I still think that this car should have AWD but I'm also pretty sure that many will buy the M5 who actually don't need that kind of room. Why not go for the upcoming M6 instead ? Would somehow make more sense to me. Still no AWD though. Smiley

You are right i dont need the space and i would have gone stright to the M6. But he is probably just in an years Time Aavailable ( coupe) so i my swap..

as well traction light goes on but the very Same Car Hit 11.7 sec up to 200 kph. So i works fine. I think it only comes done to preferences, whilste i cant drive with a p or f car to my clients the m car are somehow ok ( stealt look, not to mutch atraction)

Well, I get that stealth look advantage very well Smiley ...sad that this is needed in Switzerland too. Smiley

--

RC:

On wet streets and on snow, the M5 will be no fun to drive. --

Are you kidding !!!! this is where it should be fun to drive the beast Smiley  Smiley I love RWD cars, so much more fun than 4WD, but I understand those who live on cold weather countrys needing 4WD.

J.Seven

We are talking about public streets here...I've seen enough Porsche drivers destroying their 911 on wet streets.

--

The differing car cultures between various nations is evident. The Italians love extreme and flashy supercars, the Germans prefer clinical efficiency paired with usability, the Japanese hard core supercomputers. Each man to their own then.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

The differing car cultures between various nations is evident. The Italians love extreme and flashy supercars, the Germans prefer clinical efficiency paired with usability, the Japanese hard core supercomputers. Each man to their own then.

I'm pretty often in Italy (mainly North Italy, Laggo di Garda and Milano area) and I've never seen a really flashy or extreme supercar there, with a couple of exceptions maybe, who had german or austrian license plates. Smiley

The most spectacular car I saw was a Lamborghini Murcielago with austrian license plates and an infernal noise. This car was so loud that even the Italians didn't smile... Me and my son just loved it though. Smiley

You'd be surprised to hear that many wealthy Italians don't even want to drive Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Can't say much about other (southern) regions though...

A friend has been to Sardinia a couple of years ago, in a Ferrari. At his hotel, a very exclusive one in the North, were many super cars but only one Ferrari. His. Many SUVs, many Mercedes, Bentley, Aston Martin and even a Bugatti Veyron (not a hotel guest though) but no Ferrari or Lamborghini. On the other hand, he was back to Sardinia last June and he saw a convoy of Ferrari cars with italian license plates, maybe some sort of Ferrari club meeting or something.

Oh, Germans who drive the "clinical efficiency...", actually love the stealth look. Do you really think I wouldn't want to express my sports car fanatism to the outside world but in Germany, you just can't do it. Neighbors, customers, etc, nobody appreciates a flashy and/or expensive car.

Best cars to blend it over here: Smaller japanese cars like Toyota, Mazda or Nissan and the typical german "Volks"-cars like BMW 3series/5series/1series, Audi A3/A4/A6, Golf and Opel Astra/Insignia and of course the Mercedes A/B class and C class, maybe E class too.

--

I did not mean to generalise dear RC but car culture does exist. In Italy people cheer when they hear a really loud Ferrari. The Carabinieri also encourage speeding. I have seen them ushering Ferraris to go faster! Try that in Switzerland or Germany if you dare! Even here in the UK it would not be acceptable, even though Brits are pretty enthusiastic about their motorcars. Things in Greece are also wild. A friend of mine with an F430 was pulled over some years ago, clocked at nearly 300 kph on the motorway leading to Athens. The police told him that their commadant was a huge Ferrari enthusiast and all he had to do was open the valves of the exhaust for him to listen to the sound over the phone! That was it; he was let go with the promise that noone would annoy him till he reached Athens!  That said people with flashy cars are targeted nowadays.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

I did not mean to generalise dear RC but car culture does exist. In Italy people cheer when they hear a really loud Ferrari. The Carabinieri also encourage speeding. I have seen them ushering Ferraris to go faster! Try that in Switzerland or Germany if you dare! Even here in the UK it would not be acceptable, even though Brits are pretty enthusiastic about their motorcars. Things in Greece are also wild. A friend of mine with an F430 was pulled over some years ago, clocked at nearly 300 kph on the motorway leading to Athens. The police told him that their commadant was a huge Ferrari enthusiast and all he had to do was open the valves of the exhaust for him to listen to the sound over the phone! That was it; he was let go with the promise that noone would annoy him till he reached Athens!  That said people with flashy cars are targeted nowadays.

I'm pretty sure our Italian friends could shed more light into it but in Northern Italy, people don't really applaude to loud cars but they have a smile on their face...up to a certain point when the loudness gets annoying and they stop similing. As to italian police: I rather have to deal with german police, trust me. In Germany, they have to have proof. So I can avoid them pretty well. I heard many anectodes about italian police but I also know at least half a dozen of Ferrari owners who not only were stopped by italian police but two lost their driver's license on the spot (italian police can do that, even to german drivers, they send the driver license to the embassy...good luck picking it up there...in Rome...if you are in North Italy Smiley), one got his car impounded (!) and the others got nice bills, which they paid because they are very often in Italy. Don't believe everything you hear, people love to gossip...especially when they have special cars. Smiley

As to Greece: The brother of a Porsche club member here in Germany has been arrested in Greece for speeding a couple of weeks ago. He is Greek and lives near Thessaloniki, his Porsche GT2 has been impounded at the spot because he didn't have 500 EUR cash for the police officer (this is what he claims) and the officer got mad. Now, because he took a lawyer and started to fight back (corruption, etc.), they are investigating him for tax fraud and other things, like not having a build permit or similar for his house, too. Sorry but don't tell me about Greece...I heard so many crazy stories and especially now, with that tough economy, people in Greece don't like wealthy people too much, to say at least.

--

REALZEUS:

Things in Greece are also wild. A friend of mine with an F430 was pulled over some years ago, clocked at nearly 300 kph on the motorway leading to Athens. The police told him that their commadant was a huge Ferrari enthusiast and all he had to do was open the valves of the exhaust for him to listen to the sound over the phone! That was it; he was let go with the promise that noone would annoy him till he reached Athens!  That said people with flashy cars are targeted nowadays.

If this not an anecdote but a true story, it's an example of the kind of favoritism and frivolous mentality that has destroyed Greece.

The large majority of people with expensive cars in Greece are businessmen or self-employed professionals who have never declared their true incomes to the authorities. They drive a new 911 on a declared gross income of 30K or 40K Euro, for example. It's true that their cars remain hidden nowadays because they are targeted both by unemployed people and by belatedly eager tax officers.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

If this not an anecdote but a true story, it's an example of the kind of favoritism and frivolous mentality that has destroyed Greece.

The Greek are strong and proud people, they will survive, Greece hasn't been destroyed, it just has been slowed down by getting a (financial) wedgie. Smiley Maybe it was good for something, maybe corruption and tax fraud will go away (to some point). It is just sad that such a crisis always affects the poor and the helpless most. Smiley

--

RC:
    reginos:

The Greek are strong and proud people, they will survive, Greece hasn't been destroyed, it just has been slowed down by getting a (financial) wedgie. Smiley Maybe it was good for something, maybe corruption and tax fraud will go away (to some point). It is just sad that such a crisis always affects the poor and the helpless most. Smiley

Of course it will not be destroyed, civilization existed  there since 5000 years ago during which the country passed from worst trials and tribulations.

However, not only the economy is heavily damaged but many social structures are in danger too. Life is too hard especially in urban areas (there are incidents of people starving for food for the first time since the WW2 Occupation) and criminal activity has risen to previously unheard of levels. Recovery will take many years and this period will leave its mark on the people.

Some things will be straightened out because of this crisis, which is partly a consolation.

Anyway this thread is about  the new M5!!!

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    REALZEUS:

Things in Greece are also wild. A friend of mine with an F430 was pulled over some years ago, clocked at nearly 300 kph on the motorway leading to Athens. The police told him that their commadant was a huge Ferrari enthusiast and all he had to do was open the valves of the exhaust for him to listen to the sound over the phone! That was it; he was let go with the promise that noone would annoy him till he reached Athens!  That said people with flashy cars are targeted nowadays.

The large majority of people with expensive cars in Greece are businessmen or self-employed professionals who have never declared their true incomes to the authorities. They drive a new 911 on a declared gross income of 30K or 40K Euro, for example. It's true that their cars remain hidden nowadays because they are targeted both by unemployed people and by belatedly eager tax officers.

True story Reginos. The owner of the 430 is a good mate of mine.

As for Greece in general, that's a different duscussion altogether.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Mates never tell lies, I get it.  indecision

--

RC:

We are talking about public streets here...I've seen enough Porsche drivers destroying their 911 on wet streets.

It´s easier to destroy a Porsche on wet roads than M5 while trying to play with both.

J.Seven

J.Seven:
    RC:

It´s easier to destroy a Porsche on wet roads than M5 while trying to play with both.

J.Seven

Depends on the driver's IQ I'm afraid...not really brand related.

--

http://youtu.be/tRbyfloBra0

Last Sunday I visited the so called "BMW-World" in Munich. For those who don't know this location: This is the place where you can get delivered your new BMW with some entertainment like a visit to the BMW plant, the museum or some other guided impressions. For a part of the visitors even the building seems to be very interesting. Last sunday they taked out the new BMW M5 just as the Safety Car for the Moto GP and the best: with the pretty fine Akrapovic exhaust. Its just a prototype but will be available for the M5 in spring. AMAZING sound. Above a short clip. Turn your speaker to at least half of maximum and enjoy.

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Here are some pics from the car and the exhaust:

BMW Akrapovic3.JPG

BMW Akrapovic2.JPG

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Just in case you don't know the BMW World but I bet you know:

BMW World 2.JPGBMW World.JPG

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Conny997:

Last Sunday I visited the so called "BMW-World" in Munich. For those who don't know this location: This is the place where you can get delivered your new BMW with some entertainment like a visit to the BMW plant, the museum or some other guided impressions. For a part of the visitors even the building seems to be very interesting. Last sunday they taked out the new BMW M5 just as the Safety Car for the Moto GP and the best: with the pretty fine Akrapovic exhaust. Its just a prototype but will be available for the M5 in spring. AMAZING sound. Above a short clip. Turn your speaker to at least half of maximum and enjoy.

I heard a prototype for the X5M and I can't say I was convinced. It sounds louder, slightly deeper but still no typical V8 sound. yes Maybe the M5 version is better but there isn't much improvement possible due to that specific engine design. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (April 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

Conny997:

I heard a prototype for the X5M and I can't say I was convinced. It sounds louder, slightly deeper but still no typical V8 sound. yes Maybe the M5 version is better but there isn't much improvement possible due to that specific engine design. 

Right, its far away from the typical V8 muscle car sound. But believe me you must hear it live!! It's just awesome in a very specific way. This exhaust would be my first aftermarket expense if I would have the M5. :-)
    --
    Kind regards, Conny 

Why are you still up ? Shouldn't you be asleep ? 

At least I have an excuse (work). indecision

Btw: Check out this one... Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y64F-VrorzQ&feature=related

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (April 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Right, its far away from the typical V8 muscle car sound. But believe me you must hear it live!! It's just awesome in a very specific way. This exhaust would be my first aftermarket expense if I would have the M5. :-)

Any closer Idee when the exaust is abailable, April already.  Will be my very first action on this car

RC:

Why are you still up ? Shouldn't you be asleep ? 

At least I have an excuse (work). indecision

Btw: Check out this one... Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y64F-VrorzQ&feature=related

--

I worked as well, but usually not that long. Had some hassle with some new electronic thingiesSmiley
    Btw.: I love to work at night. The best time to have some thoughts on the business, free of calls and other interruptions.

The FVD exhaust for the Panamera sounds really perfect. I love above all the nice bubble in the idle.Smiley
    Not sure if this exhaust is approved.Smiley
    I know Willi Brombacher since a long time, since I bought 1989 some parts for my Porsche G-Modell. His offers are almost ok....Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Here are some pics from the BMW M5. What do you guys think about the colour "Montecarlo Blue" for the M5?
    Too flashy? Sporty enough?

M5 3.JPG
    M5 5.JPG
    M5 8.JPG M5 2.JPG

M5 9.JPG

M5 10.JPGM5 11.JPG

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Just a few games with a mono blue tone

M5 1.JPGM5 4.JPGM5 6.JPG

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688702 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408765 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255554 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234813 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857635 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773479 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM