Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

535xd Daily Driver

Hi guys! I am considering a 535xd as a Daily Driver. Any comments?

Here is the configuration:

Option code Description DE Gross price
      535d xDrive Limousine 59,900.00

A52 Spacegrau metallic 980.00
    LCSW Leder Dakota Schwarz/Schwarz 2,010.00
    2K2 18" Leichtmetallräder V-Speiche 328 900.00
    4AT Interieurleisten schwarz hochglänzend Standard

7A2 Innovationspaket 2,950.00
    7VG Wärmekomfort Paket 990.00
    7VH Surround View Paket 1,850.00

1CC Auto Start Stop Funktion Standard
    1CD Brake Energy Regeneration Standard
    223 Dynamische Dämpfer Control 0.00
    229 Dynamic Drive 0.00
    248 Lenkradheizung (Bestandteil von Wärmekomfort Paket) 0.00
    255 Sport-Lederlenkrad 140.00
    258 Bereifung mit Notlaufeigenschaften 0.00
    2TB Sport-Automatic Getriebe Steptronic 150.00
    2VA Adaptive Drive 3,660.00
    2VB Reifen Druck Control 300.00
    302 Alarmanlage 480.00
    320 Modellschriftzug Entfall 0.00
    322 Komfortzugang 790.00
    358 Klimakomfort-Frontscheibe 280.00
    3AG Rückfahrkamera (Bestandteil von Surround View Paket) 0.00
    423 Fußmatten in Velours Standard
    430 Innen- und Außenspiegel automatisch abblendend 550.00
    431 Innenspiegel automatisch abblendend 0.00
    441 Raucherpaket 30.00
    453 Aktive Sitzbelüftung vorn 810.00
    456 Komfortsitze vorn, elektrisch verstellbar 2,260.00
    464 Skisack 100.00
    465 Durchladesystem 500.00
    488 Lordosenstütze für Fahrer und Beifahrer 0.00
    494 Sitzheizung für Fahrer und Beifahrer (Bestandteil von Wärmekomfort Paket) 0.00
    496 Sitzheizung für Fondsitze (Bestandteil von Wärmekomfort Paket) 0.00
    4NB Klimaautomatik mit 4-Zonenregelung 470.00
    4U2 Fahrerlebnisschalter incl. ECO PRO Standard
    4UR Ambientes Licht 280.00
    502 Scheinwerfer-Waschanlage (Bestandteil von Innovationspaket) 0.00
    508 Park Distance Control (Bestandteil von Surround View Paket) 0.00
    522 Xenon-Licht für Abblend- und Fernlicht (Bestandteil von Innovationspaket) 0.00
    524 Adaptives Kurvenlicht (Bestandteil von Innovationspaket) 0.00
    575 Zusätzliche 12-V-Steckdosen Standard
    5AC Fernlichtassistent 150.00
    5AD Spurverlassenswarnung 520.00
    5AG Spurwechselwarnung 620.00
    5DL Surround View (Bestandteil von Surround View Paket) 0.00
    609 Navigationssystem Professional 0.00
    610 BMW Head-Up Display (Bestandteil von Innovationspaket) 0.00
    612 BMW Assist - Notruf, Auskunftsdienst, Pannenhilfe 0.00
    614 Internet 0.00
    616 BMW Online - E-Mail und Adressen, Parkplätze, Börse, RSS-Feeds, Wetter, Hotels 0.00
    620 Spracheingabesystem 0.00
    633 Handyvorbereitung Business mit Bluetooth Schnittstelle 0.00
    676 HiFi-System 590.00
    6FL USB-Audio-Schnittstelle 300.00
    6NF Musik-Schnittstelle für Smartphones 100.00
    6NR BMW Apps 150.00
    6UK BMW Night Vision mit Personenerkennung 2,000.00
    6WA Instrumentenkombination mit erweiterten Umfängen (Bestandteil von Innovationspaket) 0.00
    760 BMW Individual Hochglanz Shadow Line 520.00
    761 BMW Individual Sonnenschutzverglasung 350.00
    7SP Navigationssystem Professional mit integrierter Handyvorbereitung Bluetooth 3,800.00
    8TH Speed Limit Info (Bestandteil von Innovationspaket) 0.00

Options: 29,580.00
      Total: 89,480.00

--

There is no try. Just do.

Re: 535xd Daily Driver

Are you nuts ? 90k EUR for a BMW 5 series Diesel ? angel

To be honest with you: As a daily driver in Romania, I would have chosen a...SUV.

BMW X3 xDrive35d or Mercedes GLK 350CDi come into my mind, small SUVs, very fast, low Diesel consumption, fun to drive and very good for bad streets and snowy weather in winter time. Unless of course you need for room for a family...

Both are cheaper than the 5 series, better suited for driving in Romania and...much cooler...unless you think driving a 5 series Diesel at age...30 or 35 ?...is cool. In Bavaria, you mostly see people over 50 driving around in 5 series BMWs, with the exception of the M5 maybe.

Just as a hint...the X3 xDrive35d does 0-100 kph in 5.8 seconds and is 244 kph fast. I'm pretty sure you can pick up one with some nice options, rebate included, under 70k EUR.

If you don't want a SUV, which I wouldn't be able to understand, especially since I know the roads in Romania Smiley, I would choose the Mercedes C300 CDi 4matic. AWD, attractive price, good quality, nice performance for a Diesel and under 8 l / 100 km average Diesel consumption. You can get a well equipped version under 60k EUR, slightly used even under 50k.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (May 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Yes RC, I am :) (nuts :) )

I also have my doubts... That is why I posted the message....

X3 and X5 don't have night vision. Driving at night in Romania is very dangerous.
    I also never had a powerful 6cyl diesel. So I am thinking of trying something different.
    The other option is a 911S of 140.000 euros. From my point of view I am saving money with the fiver :)

Other cars I simply don't like. At least I like the design of this one and I can try some new gadgets.

--

One more thing: as you know I drove a 997C2 manual 89.000km in four and a half years, all day, all year (yes, including winter time).

If I survived that, the 5 is OK. Hell, compared with the 911, the 5 IS a SUV! Lol =))
    --

Night vision is a plus but it only works nicely if it is completely dark. In the city, it is almost worthless at night, too many heat/light sources. Are you really driving that much at night on country roads? Have you tried it (night vision) ?

The X3 xDrive35d has the same engine as far as I remember, 306 horses in a small SUV, amazing performance. Perfect car in winter time and if I remember how often the streets were flooded (not by much but not really suitable for an ordinary car), I would always prefer a SUV in Romania.

Have you driven the new Cayenne Turbo (speaking of 140k EUR)? Amazing SUV, you would love it in an instant. Maybe "hugo" can take you for a ride...

Of course people have different tastes in cars and I get it, our tastes may not be the same but I really think that a SUV would be more suitable for you.

What about the new Grand Cherokee SRT8? Amazing performance for little money.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (May 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Cayenne/Touareg/X5 are not my type of vehicles, sorry. Way to heavy.

On Night Vision: that is the idea, to try it. I would love to try it before buying it but that will be hard even in Germany (to find a test car that has it). However, between cities around here, yes, it is almost pitch black and if you travel at night you avoid trafic completely.

On X3: I like it, it is a decent SUV but it will not be a new experience for me. It adds nothing new.

On Cherokee: come on RC... I rather get the X3.

It's funny how you of all people you don't see it... hi hi hi ;)
    The grey 5 with black leather looks ordinary RC ;)
    It's a sleeper :D

--

I like the idea. Not knowing the roads in Romania, the 5-series would be very high on my list if it is suitable for the road conditions. At first glance, I thought you were going to get the GT model of the 5-series. Now that would've been a different story. What about the new 3-series though? Guess it will take a while until the comparable version is on sale

Regarding design and status, it is beyond me why someone would choose a C-class over the 5-series apart from the price difference. Maybe because I am between 30 and 35 as well, I would take it over any SUV out there. That is in fact the type of car 50 year olds and soccer mums are driving. Nothing wrong with it, but certainly not superior in status. Apart from that, I couldn't care less about status...

@ Pentium, what about the M550??. Is it available in March..??..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

I would also wait for the M550d if I were in the market for a 535d atm. Of course one could worry about the reliabilty-issues that come with new triple-turbo technology, but that aside I think it's a very interesting prospect.

I do agree with RC on the SUV-comment though, I drive a lot in Romania these days, and I would really prefer to have an SUV there, a Touareg 4.2 TDI is supremely comfortable and reasonably quick... Of course you know your own roads and needs best, so if you prefer a 5-series, I'd say M550d or Alpina D5. wink

You can't imagine what "adventures" I had in Romania, especially during winter driving. Keep in mind that this was a country with no winter service whatsoever when it started to snow heavily. I once drove over 600 km from the hungarian border to Bucharest at a speed of 50 kph with snow chains (I had summer tires because more than 20 years ago, winter tires weren't that common). The most horrible trip of my life. During this trip, I saw so many accidents, mostly with trucks.  

A second trip later on was almost as bad, with me driving a snow covered and very steep road at a speed of 120 kph upwards because at a slower speed, I wasn't able to get the road up (too slippery, I had summer tires, no snow chains....weather surprised me...but happily a very heavily loaded RWD car). It was before Cluj, into the direction to Bucharest. I was lucky I made it.

Shortly before the highway Ploiesti-Bucharest ended, I got stuck in a huge traffic jam with cars stuck in snow. Some of them were there over night, the snow was covering the cars almost completely. During my drive on the highway (aprox. 90 km), I didn't stop once because I was afraid I wouldn't make it if I stop (snow was high and I was barely able to maintain a speed of 40-50 kph or so with my summer tires without slipping to the side, snow was also pretty high and the car was sitting low because of the heavy load (incl. the rear back seats). A tractor had to tow me out of this traffic jam, only those who had money were towed out of this mess...I was one of three, the others had no cash with them. While towing me, I had to help with accelerating my car and unfortunately a stone thrown from the back of my car (by accelerating) smashed the windshield of a Romanian car next to me. People suddenly started to yell at me, they saw my CD license plate and apparently wanted to let go of their frustration, I was afraid for my life. I paid a 100 USD bank note to the owner of the car and people calmed down. You can't imagine how happy I was when I got "home", I slept for 15 consecutive hours and didn't even unpack my car (it was safe in a protected underground garage).

No...Romania...SUV all the way. I agree, the Touareg would be a great choice but since Pentium loves Porsche, why no Cayenne Diesel ? Good daily driver.

Oh, another story: I once had an Isuzu Trooper 2.7TD in Romania after our embassy recommended off-roaders at some point. What a great (but very slow) off-roader. There was once a flooding in Bucharest near the Diplomatic Club and Casa Scinteii, on a street with an underpass. It was the only way to get home for me and I drove through the high water, which at some point reached my side door window (!). Luckily, I was trained for this stuff, I knew that I'm not allowed to decelerate inside the water because the air filter and exhaust would "suck in" water but it was quite a scary experience because it was almost night and no other car near by. I actually paid a price for doing this because the isuzu wasn't really that water proof. The next day, I discovered water in the front lights and when I sold the car one year later, the rust inside the doors was already piling up...apparently water penetrated the seals/gaskets and entered inside the doors (behind the plastic panel).

--

That's a lot of money for a nothing-special car. With 18" wheels and Dakota leather it will look and feel like a plain vanilla 520d workhorse. If you go for it make sure you get a big discount. The BMW dealers have ways to give 15%+ discounts...if they wish....I am still trying to resist ordering a fully loaded M5 (130 000 EUR list price) for 95 000 EUR....

Thank you for your thoughts. This is exactly what I need now :) Please keep them coming! Smiley

Yes, the price is steep. That is why I hesitate. The roads got better but still.... I do have many horror stories as well.

People DO notice expensive SUVs around here much more than a grey 5 series. That is one thing that I like about the 5. Also the 5 is much more comfortable than the X3.

--

Why don't you get one of these ? Expensive but built like a tank.

G 300 CDi Professional.

Not really fast but you can do almost everything with this beast.

The next variant would be the G 350 BlueTec, much faster (0-100 kph in 8.8 seconds) and with more comfort features.

If you really don't like SUVs (which I don't get, maybe you should really take a Cayenne for a one day ride), I would get  a Mercedes C 300 CDi 4matic. I know that a Mercedes C class isn that cool but an excellent daily driver at minimal cost. It is also smaller than a BMW 5 series. You can choose the version with the AMG styling, which adds nice day front running lights to the front and looks much better. Performance is pretty good for a Diesel too and fuel consumption is under 8 l if you don't force it. A friend has this car as a daily driver for his business and he loves it. Slightly used versions should be available in Germany for under 50k EUR.

Personally, I would really take a Cayenne Diesel as a daily driver...or an Audi Q5 with the same engine.

--

I have the same dilemma. I'm currently looking for a replacement of my daily drive, ml 420 cdi, and the first option was the 535xd, but now I'm thinking more about the cayenne diesel. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of power and I don't know what to do about that. I can not wait for the cayenne diesel s. When choosing the 535 you have to take into account the depreciation which I believe will be major in comparison to the cayenne. Good luck with your choice and let us know about your decision.

gixi:

I have the same dilemma. I'm currently looking for a replacement of my daily drive, ml 420 cdi, and the first option was the 535xd, but now I'm thinking more about the cayenne diesel. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of power and I don't know what to do about that. I can not wait for the cayenne diesel s. When choosing the 535 you have to take into account the depreciation which I believe will be major in comparison to the cayenne. Good luck with your choice and let us know about your decision.

Have you driven the Diesel ? The power is perfect for the city, even up to 120 kph. For faster speeds, the Diesel indeed isn't the ideal choice but maybe the Hybrid ? Currently, dealers in Germany seem to "sit" on many hybrids, maybe there is a good deal possible ?!

--

Thank you for the adivice, I didn't drive the diesel but the Hybrid is the reason I'm considering the cayenne. I have driven my father's hybrid and I liked the overall feeling of the car, but fuel consumption is not so low and straight line acceleration  (not handling) is better in my ml 420 cdi with less fuel consumption. So like Pentium is saying the 535 seems to be a good choice, plus it's not a suv. Except that is just a 5er, what else is not right with the 535?

gixi:

Thank you for the adivice, I didn't drive the diesel but the Hybrid is the reason I'm considering the cayenne. I have driven my father's hybrid and I liked the overall feeling of the car, but fuel consumption is not so low and straight line acceleration  (not handling) is better in my ml 420 cdi with less fuel consumption. So like Pentium is saying the 535 seems to be a good choice, plus it's not a suv. Except that is just a 5er, what else is not right with the 535?

The 5 series is great, I have nothing to complaint but I just would prefer a SUV in Romania. I actually prefer a SUV in Germany (Bavaria)... Smiley As a daily driver, especially in countries with bad streets and/or harsh weather, a SUV is unbeatable. 

--

What is not right is the price I guess Smiley

90K for a 5er it's a lot of money indeed...

RC, what you would notice more on the street? A 535xd or a Cayenne Diesel? Smiley

Now you see why I avoid the SUV?

--

Pentium:

What is not right is the price I guess Smiley

90K for a 5er it's a lot of money indeed...

RC, what you would notice more on the street? A 535xd or a Cayenne Diesel? Smiley

Now you see why I avoid the SUV?

You don't want to get noticed by ??? Police ? Criminals ? Pretty girls ? (I guess not this one Smiley) Your neighbors ?

Last time I checked, Bucharest is full of SUVs, I doubt that another one would attract too much attention. I don't know which SUV is the most common model in Bucharest but if you don't want to get noticed, get one of these in a dark grey (not black or flashy colors) color.

--

Pentium...I guess after the last three days in Bucharest, you know what kind of car you need. smiley

wink

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (April 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Lol

RC, I never said that the 535xd will be my only car. I still can keep my Mitsubishi Outlander SUV for emergency situations :p

And even without it, there are no more than 2 weeks of seriously bad weather in Romania during winter time. I rather rent a car for this time or simply use a taxi more often.

Look... I really like how the 5 looks and the fact is a stealthy car. Yeah, probably I would buy a X3 IF most of the 5 gadgets would be available for it. But sorry, no way I am going to get something like an X5/Cayenne/Touareg. They are too heavy for my taste.

--

Heavy is what you need on those roads... 

What do you think in which car your chances of survival would be bigger, hitting one of these at full speed? indecision

60165995.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (April 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Looooolllllll

I tell you something though: with Night Vision I would not hit them at all ;)

During day you spot them anyway.
    --

Pentium:
    Lol

RC, I never said that the 535xd will be my only car. I still can keep my Mitsubishi Outlander SUV for emergency situations :p

And even without it, there are no more than 2 weeks of seriously bad weather in Romania during winter time. I rather rent a car for this time or simply use a taxi more often.

Look... I really like how the 5 looks and the fact is a stealthy car. Yeah, probably I would buy a X3 IF most of the 5 gadgets would be available for it. But sorry, no way I am going to get something like an X5/Cayenne/Touareg. They are too heavy for my taste.

Hi Pentium,

I complately understand how you think about 5 series and 100% agree with you. We have an F10 520d and very happy with it.

However, before considering 535xd, why don't you also have a look at M550xd. I don't know when it is released and how urgent you need the car BUT with 381 hp and 740 NM torque via 4WD system with ///M touch sounds a Winner.

--

ONUR

11 E92 M3 CP 

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesandspecifications_detail/0,,1156_181257816__bs-WA%3D%3D%40bb-RTcwR0Y%3D%40bm-TTUwQw%3D%3D,00.html

Wow..0-62mph in 5.4 is nice and with all that rolling torque..

Any guess to what the M550d will do, it surely will make it below 5 secs considering the X5 time...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

M550d does 0-100 kph (62 mph) in 4.7 seconds, same as X5M.

0-200 kph (125 mph) performance is slightly worse though.

--

Pentium:
    Looooolllllll

I tell you something though: with Night Vision I would not hit them at all ;)

During day you spot them anyway.

I would get this thing for Bucharest...get yourself some respect, dude. Smiley

can_g-wagon_01.jpg

--

4.7, very nice. Thanks for the info Smiley..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

That´s actually faster than the claimed acceleration figures for the 550i. Certainly impressive, for a diesel, for a limousine with that power output and in general of course. Very tempting, curious about the consumption in reality though. 

One thing about M550d X drive-it is for sure amazing diesel car. But, German price starts at 81K € and with some options you are at 95K in a split second. Real life fuel consumption? My friend owns new 535d and in city driving it is consuming 7-8L/100km depending on driving style. Consumption do not go much above 11L/100km if you do not drive above 180km/h. If you drive a lot at speed ovdr 200km/h or more you can see even 16-17L/100km.

Regarding M550d X drive I am more interested how response wise(throttle, power and torque delivery also) is that diesel triturbo in comparison to 550i V8 biturbo.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803642 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448662 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266252 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90135 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6685 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885958 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833722 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM