Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL : Porsche Boxster 981

IMO Carrara White with Carrera Red interior would look the business ...

Or Platinum Silver with Carrera Red interior would be equally lovely ...

I guess I like red interiors :)

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

that's what I have ordered ... red roof too.

I also like the roof up look ... much improved.

easy_rider911:

Carrara white would look fabulous on the 981 and would be my choice - but in true dreamcar tradition I'd go for blue leather and roof, blue and white to my eye is the most beautiful combination. Smiley

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue going soon  Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

CGT vs 981

Front 2.jpgFront 1.jpgSide A2.jpgSide A1.jpgSide 2.jpgSide 1.jpg

--

Wow looks like the same guy is driving the CGT and 981 - lucky dude!

Geneva 2012: "The Porsche Boxster Secrets..."

"Hans-Jürgen Wöhler, Manager of the Boxster model line, gives you the low-down on the technology that went into the new Porsche Boxster..."

The Porsche Boxster Secrets -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Be Careful expressing a like for aqua blue, PJ - you are married, right?  angel

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

Absolutely love this thing, so desirable! I hope they get the Cayman right this time as well!

Whats the issue with Aqua Blue then?

Having seen the images from the excellence review I think I'm going to switch my order to Aqua Blue

Jonathan

I bought an aqua blue boxster last year - sparked a bit of discussion about girly colours..

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

Be Careful expressing a like for aqua blue, PJ - you are married, right?  angel

I must be really suspect then - going from an aqua blue Cayman to an aqua blue 997!! Smiley

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue going soon  Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

Thanks Guys

I needed a little re-asurance as my late April build 981S is currently specified in Aqua Blue with Blue leather Interior and Blue Roof.

I guess I am also keen on Aqua as it seems to have a brightness missing from most of the other metallics currently available on the 981 / 991 and I don't want to wait for the colour to sample option

Jonathanbr:

Thanks Guys

I needed a little re-asurance as my late April build 981S is currently specified in Aqua Blue with Blue leather Interior and Blue Roof.

I guess I am also keen on Aqua as it seems to have a brightness missing from most of the other metallics currently available on the 981 / 991 and I don't want to wait for the colour to sample option

That's a wonderful combination - the only reason I would vary from that combination would be for a change (all our current cars are blue) in which case I'd go for carrara white / blue leather / blue soft top.

As you say aqua is by far the brightest of Porsche's metallics, a jewel amongst all those dull monotone black, grey and silver shades. Smiley

--

Jonathanbr:

Thanks Guys

might that be too much blue? perhaps luxor beige interior?

Hi SFO

If I was going for Dark Blue Metallic I might have considered the Luxor Beige, but I just didn't think it worked with Aqua.

I hope I have been able to add the silver grey seat belts and mats with silver grey edging which togther with the aluminium dash and door trim should add a little contrast - will find out on Monday when the dealer updates the system with production 

I wonder how different the contrast is with aluminium instead of the standard plastic shiny silver trim ..

It is the shiny silver plastic, unfortunatley aluminium trim is not available till June / July build and with factory summer close I was worried delivery could stretch towards September. So deluxe shiny silver plastic it is

Thanks

just read the thread about your car - all makes sense now - and your Aqua blue car looks fantastic

Bucket seats not available on 981S yet so I have gone with the Sports seats plus which i am sure are really the old sports seats with another name, also no PSE until July

Jonathanbr:

Thanks Guys

What did your local dealer say when you suggest Aqua Blue ? I tried my supplying dealer. His view was NO. Very insistent even though I sent him the pic from the magazine. As I will only have the car 18 months then I will want the car to attract OPC dealer bids. Worrying that two of them are putting me off.

To be honest my dealer seemed non commital about colours, and I think it is very personal

Went down to Reading last week and looked at colours in the compound and to be honest the only colours that jumped out were a 911 and a few Caymans in Aqua Blue, Carrera white on either the caymans or 991 and a GT3 in Mexico Blue - wow!

- The demo 991 S Cab at Reading is Carrera white with black hood and black leather and PSE on 20" Carrera S alloys looks and sounds great

Chinstts:

What did your local dealer say when you suggest Aqua Blue ? I tried my supplying dealer. His view was NO. Very insistent even though I sent him the pic from the magazine. As I will only have the car 18 months then I will want the car to attract OPC dealer bids. Worrying that two of them are putting me off.

If you are financing it, choose whatever colour you want.

If you are not financing, I'd still do  the same .. dealers will always advise the ultra safe silver or black.

I am not financing it through OPC. I am however interested in their view on the resale of various colours. Keep being advised to go for white, but my Cayman was white, as was my TTS and  Golf R - daughter also has a white fiesta. S a little bored personally of white, even though my spec currently has it. My last car a TTRS was Sepang Blue so a little similar to Aqua. As Jonathan says the choice is not great and us Jonathan's are always rightkiss

If the aqua blues are a pain in the arse to move through OPC's I would rather know now rather than in 18 months when I ask for a trade bid.

Chinstts:

I am not financing it through OPC. I am however interested in their view on the resale of various colours. Keep being advised to go for white, but my Cayman was white, as was my TTS and  Golf R - daughter also has a white fiesta. S a little bored personally of white, even though my spec currently has it. My last car a TTRS was Sepang Blue so a little similar to Aqua. As Jonathan says the choice is not great and us Jonathan's are always rightkiss

If the aqua blues are a pain in the arse to move through OPC's I would rather know now rather than in 18 months when I ask for a trade bid.

My advice to you is this - you are buying a new car specced precisely to your liking for you, not the next guy. That's the only reason to buy a new Porsche. If residuals are going to influence your choice and prevent you choosing what you really want then wait 12 months, buy used for probably 30% less than new price. By then you'd probably find whatever colour you want on the Porsche used car web.

IMHO aqua blue would not be a detrimental colour residual wise. It's a cracking Boxster colour. That's what my dealer (OPC Bournemouth) told us when we specced the aqua blue Cayman and the cobalt blue Boxster S before that . Not that Bournemouth's advice meant diddly squat, but the highly respected OPC Mid Sussex told us the same.

As equally important as the exterior colour is the interior colour you choose to match it. Purely from a residual point of view with aqua blue I would strongly suggest you limit your choice to either yachting blue or black. May be grey. Beige or any other colour would be a definite no-no.

Just bear in mind dealers talk a load of crap about preserving residuals. Any Porsche you buy in whatever colour will lose a minimum of 20% the minute you drive it off the forecourt. Our Cayman for example dropped 30% in 3 months - and that was when the dealer "was trying to help us" financially to change to another new Cayman due to our dissatisfaction with the car after listening to their misinformed advice.

If you can't stomach those kind of losses don't buy a new Porsche - in any colour. I for one will never do so again.

-------

I guess there is no denying that the regular colors (silver, black, white) receive more appreciation on a broader basis. It´s not necessarily a bad thing to take this in consideration prior to purchase.

I do find the aqua blue to be very appropriate for the Boxster and might find even more appreciation than on the rather mature 911. Should you intend to sell that car, you might have to wait a little longer for the customer that appreciates the color. It could, on the other hand, find a buyer much easier because of the unconventional specification. I personally have experienced that car dealerships will look out to find reasons to lower the resale value and color might be one of the most relevant ones.

After all, as Dreamcar said, if the financial aspect plays a leading role since you will exchange the car rather quickly, a used car might be the more sensible option. 

Many thanks for everyone's advice

I think  my specification is now locked down, so Aqua blue, with full yachting blue leather sports seats plus, blue roof and silver grey seat belts and mat trim. Managed to add BOSE this morning but I should get the car in the second week of May so I had to stop fiddling or dreaming and you need to stop somewhere 

will post the full specification as soon as i get written confirmation back from the dealer tomorrow

Jonathanbr:

Many thanks for everyone's advice

I think  my specification is now locked down, so Aqua blue, with full yachting blue leather sports seats plus, blue roof and silver grey seat belts and mat trim. Managed to add BOSE this morning but I should get the car in the second week of May so I had to stop fiddling or dreaming and you need to stop somewhere 

will post the full specification as soon as i get written confirmation back from the dealer tomorrow

Sounds like a tasteful choice and a great spec, many congratulations. Smiley Don't forget PASM if you've not already included it - a must have  particularly if you are having the 20" wheels - or any other kit you can't retrofit later. Sadly sports exhaust isn't available until the summer - but beware what is going to be £1,400 factory fit will be £2,500 + to retrofit if sports exhaust retrofit for the 987 direct injection cars is anything to go by.

--

Thanks Dreamcar

I'm aware PSE isn't available until July build and looks like it will be £1750 or so as a factory option. Will drive the car and decide whether it really needs it first. Haven't gone for 20" wheels so didn't feel the need to specify PASM , the tyre dimensions are different to 19's on the 987 and I was happy with those - although having gone through the historic  postings I think you have been unhappy your Cayman S because it didn't have PASM?

if I'd gone with PASM I'd have wanted sport chrono and then you've added another 5% or so onto the cost. My regular drive is a Mini Cooper S with 17" run flats and sports suspension, so ride on the  981S will be like a manic carpet by comparison.

Jonathanbr:

Thanks Dreamcar

I'm aware PSE isn't available until July build and looks like it will be £1750 or so as a factory option. Will drive the car and decide whether it really needs it first. Haven't gone for 20" wheels so didn't feel the need to specify PASM , the tyre dimensions are different to 19's on the 987 and I was happy with those - although having gone through the historic  postings I think you have been unhappy your Cayman S because it didn't have PASM?

if I'd gone with PASM I'd have wanted sport chrono and then you've added another 5% or so onto the cost. My regular drive is a Mini Cooper S with 17" run flats and sports suspension, so ride on the  981S will be like a manic carpet by comparison.

Hi Jonathanbr Smiley

I've read reports that the suspension on the 981 is more compliant than with the 987 range. Certainly the Cayman rides a lot harder than the equivalent Boxster, no doubt about it, although both our previous Boxster S had PASM. Frustratingly the Cayman would be absolutely perfect had we specced PASM (and comfort seats as my wife has back / hip issues, although she has never had hip problems until we got the Cayman). As a driver you don't notice the ride so much and I would find it acceptable  - it's not much firmer than the 1 series BMW on run flats was we used to own. But SWMBO really suffers so if we can't both enjoy using the car then it had to go. In a nut shell, it is truly amazing how well PASM absorbs the UK's badly surfaced roads compared with the standard set up and I personally wouldn't be without it, even on a Boxster. But you are right you can go on for ever ticking boxes on the order and unless you've good discipline you end up going daft. But NOT ticking the right boxes with the Cayman was an even bigger mistake in our case.

If you are having PDK then sport chrono is a MUST have, not because of the gimmicky launch control that you're never likely to use but because of the shift program options. The Normal program that you'd be lumbered with without sport chrono is purely set up for economy and is not the slightest bit sporty even though PDK is intuitive. Sport Plus on the other hand is way too extreme for road use in auto but gives fantastic lightening fast changes in manual. Sport is the best compromise and we use it all the time.

We retrofitted PSE on our last Boxster and never regretted it, the sound going under bridges, througfh tunnels or just reverberating off walls and buildings is worth every penny, although on that pre DFI Boxster it was only £1,400 to retrofit which made it good value. At £2,500+ which is the DFI retrofit price we would probably have thought again.

The PSE on the used 997/2 we hope to collect this weekend was very disappointing, however, you can just hear the baritone note in the background, I'm told it gets louder under hard acceleration which we didn't try during our 25 mile test drive. May be I'll fit the Carnewal "always full on " gizmo that's been talked about here on Rennteam as it's not expensive.To be honest in a lot of ways I'm going to miss the Cayman it's by far and away the best drivers car I've ever owned. I'm sure the 997 will be good as well, but it may take me a while to aclimatise to the rear engined ways after that amazing mid engined kart like precision of the 987's.

----

dreamcar:

If you are having PDK then sport chrono is a MUST have, not because of the gimmicky launch control that you're never likely to use but because of the shift program options. The Normal program that you'd be lumbered with without sport chrono is purely set up for economy and is not the slightest bit sporty even though PDK is intuitive. Sport Plus on the other hand is way too extreme for road use in auto but gives fantastic lightening fast changes in manual. Sport is the best compromise and we use it all the time.

The 991 and 981 have the Sport button as standard so there is some incentive to leave the SC option out.

What you get with the SC option is the Sport Plus mode (LC, race strategy gearshift on PDK, higher PSM threshold) and interestingly  the Dynamic Engine mounts (on 991) or Gearbox mounts (on 981).

What the SC adds on the new models may to useful for some buyers but the option isn't as essential as it was on the 997.2 and 987.2

--

"Form follows function"

Thanks Reginos

Thats were I got to as well - car has the sport button but no sports plus button, haven't changed the steering or added PASM or PDK so I think the benefit is negligible

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM