Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Which new car should RC get: Cayenne or Panamera?!!

WOW! Perfect!! This car's INSANE!

Congrats, fantastic car and config!

--

911 Carrera 3.2 - Cayenne Diesel

Congratulations and great choice RC! It's going to be a super sweet ride ;)

I can't wait for May to see your delivery pics!
    --

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

Agan, wonderful choice RC!

I have been "going to school" on you on this thread, as I am strongly considering ordering a PTS within next few months.  In talking to my dealer (longtime and very experienced friend) I might suggest one other option to consider---the lane change assist.  The PTS sits low and and the view out back and to the sides is a bit restricted, so knowing that a car is on your right rear side is important.  Just a thought, and I certainly don't want to start an "add-on" list here.

Also, I do have a good friend at Excllusive in Zuffenhausen.  It may be worth double checking with him on the stitching.  I am sure your contacts are good as well, but send me a personal message if you want his contact details.  

BTW, I am still on the fence about the sport design package.  I like the look, and in the U.S. there are so many large cars on the road that the package does not make the PTS look more massive.  The problem I have to consider is whether I want to take the risk of scraping the front sport design spoiler on driveways, etc.  I did note that the PTS you posted below your spec car seems to have the package.

Wonderbar:

I might suggest one other option to consider---the lane change assist.  The PTS sits low and and the view out back and to the sides is a bit restricted, so knowing that a car is on your right rear side is important.

A HUD would also have been nice - it should have been an option...

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Budster:
    A HUD would also have been nice - it should have been an option...

...very desirable. If you're used to have one you may miss itSmiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

I give up--what is an HUD?

Head Up Display

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

HUD: I have no desire for one. I have one in the BMW X5M and I used it a couple of times but then stopped using it. It distracts too much from driving, not my thing.

Sport Design Package:  The car looks more "massive" with the Sport Design Package, this is why I didn't order it (OK, maybe I also didn't order it because I just can't see why I should pay over 3k EUR for a different front only).

Deviating stitching: Not available through Exclusive out of the factory, definitely. Only possibility would be, after the introduction of the Panamera GTS, to get a retrofit with GTS parts. Way too expensive for me. Deviating stitching will be available after the GTS introduction but nobody knows exactly when.

Lane change assist: I had this on a Mercedes GL450 rental car in the US and I hated it. It distracts me from actually paying attention. If I get used to it, I may get in trouble when driving a car without it. I'm a tekkie, I would have loved to have lane assist and that radar operated distance control thingie but for safety reasons, I didn't take it. I know it sounds weird but this is the way I feel.

@Wonderbar: Whenever you are ready to order, I would love to start another options/color thread for you. It certainly was very helpful for mewink

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Congratulations RC!  Looks great! kiss

Congrats, Christian..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

My dealer highly recommends the rear wiper for the Panamera, as the gradual slant does not shed ice and snow well.  I am sure you considered this, but just thought I would mention it...

Wonderbar:

My dealer highly recommends the rear wiper for the Panamera, as the gradual slant does not shed ice and snow well.  I am sure you considered this, but just thought I would mention it...

This is what the rear camera is for... Smiley

Just kidding, I considered the rear wiper but it kind of makes the Panamera look like a hatchback from the rear, so I didn't order it. Apparently I'm not the only one thinking the same, my dealer said all his Panamera are ordered without rear wipers because of the very same problem. Don't forget that in Germany, we have much more hatchbacks driving around, so this may be a reason why the rear wiper isn't that popular over here.

I'm actually worried about another thing: http://www.focus.de/auto/news/us-automarkt-fuer-senioren-porsche-panamera-in-usa-ein-rentnerauto_aid_650570.html

This article is in German (sorry about that) but it claims that in the USA, the Panamera is the most successful import car with...retirees (old people). I know your age, Sydney and please don't get me wrong but I'm 46 and I wouldn't want people to think that I already retired. Smiley However, in Germany, the average age of the older Panamera owners is apparently lower than in the US but it is still over 50 as far as I heard. Smiley My wife (and many of her girl friends) don't agree at all, they seem to love the Panamera (something I still fail to "get") but I actually care more of what guys say (about cars), so I'm not really sure I'm pleased. Smiley I'm afraid I haven't met a single guy in Germany yet who would be OK with my Panamera decision. Yes, the Turbo S is amazing and drives almost like the 911 but many people haven't even tried the Panamera Turbo/S yet and one guy who drove a Panamera Diesel, was very delighted about the fuel consumption and handling but he hated it from a performance point of view. Well...

Yes, my heart is still with the Cayenne Turbo...just saw a black one again today. Once I sit in the Panamera Turbo S though, things are different (performance/handling) but I just can't get used to the outside of this car, sorry. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (May 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

This may be the reason that most of the US Panameras are with brownish and on red based colours. They don't prefer the more sporty colours. On the other hand.....you'll getting older step by step while you're approaching to the target group...
    smiley

(I hope little joking is allowed since I'm already 53)

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Wos, RC, I have read on Rennteam that the Boxster is a girly car, and now the Panamera (at least in the U.S.) is an old guy car.  While I could be "age blind", I think of the Panamera as a unique, powerful and masculine car.  I of course think of myself the same way!

I long ago stopped paying attention to what people think of me--I just don't care or have time for it.   If I wanted to, I could label every car with a type of driver--Prius with enviro prudes, Corvettes with meatheads, SUVs with soccer moms, Toyotos with hispanics, Fords with blue collar workers, etc.   But what a way to close off new friends and new adventures.  The world is full of interesting people, regardless of what they drive, and those people have the right to live their lives in any way they wish. 

I remember having one of the only two Porsches in my city in the early 1960s.  I guess lots of muscle car guys thought I was a euro fag or something.  I have enjoyed the marque for so many years now, and it has been one of the great, consistent thrills of my life.  And like von Karajan, I hope to keep driving and buying Porsches when I am in my 90s. 

Your PTS is a fabulous car, and you deserve it RC.  As to what other guys think, as they say in Brooklyn "fuhgettaaboutit"...

Getting a bit confused here.  Panamera in the U.S. is a retirees' (old guy car) and these old guys prefer red/brown non-sporty colors?  And what are sporty colors in Germany?  Just trying to understand...

I have done a pretty good search of Panamera Turbo/Turbo S inventory at U.S. dealers, and a great majority are black, silver, and white.  My guess is Germany has about the same color breakdown.  The car is expensive and powerful, and just looks better (and no doubt sells better) in these colors.

Sidney, on the one hand: don't take my post too serious. wink

On the other hand: Some time ago I was looking in the U.S. market what was offered in the Panamera department. It was surely a coincidence that I got displayed mainly cognac brown, amethyst, mahagoni and luxor beige. 

What is a sporty color for the Panamera? White, Black and GT- Silver for sure. But the thing is: almost all the other Panamera colours can't be described as "sporty". Again, this may be an indication of the target group....indecision

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Awesome kiss Congrats!!!!

--
    Happy Driving

The biggest gift to yourself is to not care what other people think about you.

So change the color to lime gold if you want to! smiley

Guys, I don't care too much (anymore) about what people think. I had a pretty bad experience with one of my employees (had to fire her) and I just came to the conclusion that no matter how nice and fair I am, people still judge me in a way or another (in this case: "Why shouldn't I steal from you, you have so much..."). So why should I care anymore ? I don't.

The only issue I have with my choice for the PTS is actually the fact, that I really love the new Cayenne Turbo. Especially optioned like the one I test-drove (I saw the very same car at my dealer again yesterday and all the love came back...). The Panamera really reminds me of the first generation Cayenne but the interior is amazing (so is the Cayenne interior) and driving the PTS is an amazing experience with an amazing engine/exhaust V8 sound which is almost spectacular for a sedan (with the exception of the C63 AMG maybe).

If I could afford it, I would get both and be done with all my doubts but I can't afford both, so I have to be at peace with my decision of getting a Panamera Turbo S. Still having doubts though...can't help it. Maybe these doubts will vanish as soon as I sit in the PTS, driving it. indecision

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (May 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Christian - you have taken the rationale choice. I also appreciate, that I am not being necessarly helpful with my thoughts. But somehow, you may not be that type of person who is rationale when it comes to cars. Like me cars are not always rationale. And nothing worse than driving the wrong car. I recall how you came to the conclusion to get the turbo with tiptronic because faster of the mark. but you never really liked it as much as you wanted to. You may run the same risk here...and 4 years is a long time

Cheers

TEE  

--
    Off enjoying my car...

I liked the 997 Turbo with Tiptronic but I wished PDK would have been available instead, Tiptronic wasn't always my cup of tea, especially on the track but also during spirited driving. Something was missing... 

I have to be rational about my next Porsche for two reasons: I have a family I need to move in and I can't afford more than one Porsche. In a non rational, don't care about money world, I would have chosen the Cayenne Turbo Powerkit and the 991 Carrera S until the next generation 991 Turbo arrives. Maybe I would have even gone for the GT3 but unfortunately Porsche decided at some point not to offer the back seats anymore in the GT3. 

So yes, 4 years are a very long time for the "wrong" car but I'm a performance type of guy, so I would be more annoyed with a slow car than an ugly one.  I think I made the right choice, even if I have my doubts but call me crazy (I actually ordered a 197k EUR Panamera Turbo S) but I still can't get used to the Panamera design and especially, which bothers me even more, the massive look.

--

RC:

So yes, 4 years are a very long time for the "wrong" car but I'm a performance type of guy, so I would be more annoyed with a slow car than an ugly one.  I think I made the right choice, even if I have my doubts but call me crazy (I actually ordered a 197k EUR Panamera Turbo S) but I still can't get used to the Panamera design and especially, which bothers me even more, the massive look.

I bet it will grow on you. I love the Pan in the flesh, it looks so much better than it does on the net.

It ticks all your main boxes imo..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

A little update on my Panamera Turbo S order: Car is coming in April, not in May. indecision

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804076 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448746 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266365 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90170 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6760 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886091 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834527 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM