Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991... (LAUNCH thread)

Does anyone know if there is any problem with base Carrera? These all introduction drives&public presentations have been peculiarly avoiding any words about it. Wonder if maybe they hadn't developed it yet properly... There is a new engine, etc.

Same thing happened with the 997, the S version is more exiting and since they get introduced at the same time, the S gets all the attention, and even more so in the 991 since the differences between the base and the S are even greater. Most press cars will be S versions, and probably all dealer demo cars will be S as well. So the base carrera gets overshadowed in its debut.
    --

Just wanted to share this with you: Yesterday, on my way to Austria, I saw a yellow 991 Cabriolet (!) coming from the other direction on the Autobahn A8, I couldn't recognize the license plate but it was a Weissach car because it had US sized plates. It looked stunning and had no camouflage but to be honest, the roof didn't really make much of a difference in looks. What attracted my attention were actually the front lights...I saw the car from a distance and they looked huge...kind of Beetle-like. angry Kind of a weird feel but maybe it was just a first impression.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

That's why the dark inner headlight option is there, to make it look not beetle IMO 

reginos:

For what it's worth "Autocar" have been one of the very few magazines to test a  7 speed manual 991.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Porsche-911-3.8-Carrera-S-/260150/

"The seven-speed manual is more of a technical than practical success. Perhaps the clue is in the fact that Porsche has seen fit to display the gear you are in at the centre of the instrument console; with seven gears to choose from you can both find yourself struggling to be confident with shifts and losing track of what gear you are in. Whisper it, but on a fast twisting road the slick shifting PDK is actually more fun, as its easier to snatch a gear on the corner exit or change down at the last moment, as well as delivering better fuel economy and emissions whatever the conditions."

I'm sure some won't agree yes

--

"Form follows function"

Pistonheads raved about the manual:

To PDK or not PDK, that is the question
    Manually controlled via the weighty, aluminium shifter paddles PDK does get better. There's a lovely tactility to the paddle, upshifts zinging through without delay and downshifts even more dramatic and delivered with a satisfyingly mechanical whump. But there's a sense that things are just a bit PlayStation and this detachment means it's easy to carry too much speed into bends and feel the car running away with you a tad.

For all the fuss about the manual version and its headline grabbing seventh ratio Porsche seems awfully reticent about letting anyone having ago. A degree of assertiveness is required to bag one of the three here but the PH beach towel is placed firmly over one of them at the lunch stop.

And it takes all of a few hundred metres in it to let out a huge sigh of relief. Suddenly it all clicks into place. It doesn't matter that the sound is artificially enhanced. Because the outrageous, searing howl that erupts in the extra 300rpm the flat-six now has was your choosing, not that of some black box or sensor. And those fierce little stabs of noise as you blip down two, three gears on the approach to that corner? All your own work.

--

Gen II Cayman S

996AD:

That's why the dark inner headlight option is there, to make it look not beetle IMO 

There is such an option for the 991 ??? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

First pics of base Carrera on UK soil...

So it wasn't just a rumor: it really exists! :)

Pics don't work...Smiley

RC:
    996AD:

The darker inner headlight is a part of the PDLS package that comes with the dynamic cornering lights. Take a look in the online configuration and you will notice the difference when you select the PDLS option. Not possible to order the darker inner headlight separate, that's probably why you haven't noticed the option.

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

I am the guy mentioned above by Gnil and zeshark who has switched mind on the manual vs PDK, here is why. I own a 997.1 Carrera S Cab since 2006, I have the manual gearbox with the sport shift, and I consider this as the best gearbox I have ever driven. I drove many dual-clutch gearbox, only one is for me desirable, the Ferrari 458. So when I was configuring my 991 it was clear it would be a manual. I was in Frankfurt for the press days, and I tried to manipulate a manual and although it is precise, the throw is longer than on mine, and for the moment there is no sport shift option. Then I spoke to a mechanic at my dealer who had already followed the internal training on the 991 and he mentioned that the system to change gears on the manual was very clever as the consecutive gears are not next to each other (the second is not next to the 3rd or 1st). Then I drove the 991 we had for Asphalte.ch and it was clear Porsche achieved something great with the PDK. It has virtually not drawback on normal driving in cities or freeway, and it is aggressive enough in fast stint. I also got the conviction that the manual will not be at the level of my current one, so I updated my order with the PDK, the Sport Chrono Plus, I already had the PSE.

I also got the chance to drive both with and without PDCC, unfortunately there was 3 weeks (and several crappy rental cars)  in between, and it was rainy when I drove the one without PDCC, but I also kept it on mine. There is not a huge difference on the road when driving at decent speed, but it's clear to me that the one with PDCC is more comfortable on bumpy roads at normal speed. The best way I could describe it is that PDCC increases the gap between sports and comfort settings.

Thanks for the info and welcome to the board.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

toto24 . Thanks for the info. A direct comparison of the PDCC option would be very interesting, but I got your point. I still wonder slightly about the manual . Looking forward to hear different reviews about it.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

toto24:

There is not a huge difference on the road when driving at decent speed, but it's clear to me that the one with PDCC is more comfortable on bumpy roads at normal speed. The best way I could describe it is that PDCC increases the gap between sports and comfort settings.

Thank you for your impressions.

From what I gather the PDCC is an essential option in spite of its inflated price. More comfort on bumps plus flatter (roll-free) cornering. What else could someone ask!

--

"Form follows function"

dxpetrov:

Can't see the picture....Could you provide a link?

--

Lukas:
    RC:
    996AD:

The darker inner headlight is a part of the PDLS package that comes with the dynamic cornering lights. Take a look in the online configuration and you will notice the difference when you select the PDLS option. Not possible to order the darker inner headlight separate, that's probably why you haven't noticed the option.

I never checked , I saw in pictures only and I guessed. I think cayenne also has this option. it looks lot better darker. I'm planning to go for the facelift. For sure darker headlights is in my list.

dxpetrov:

13257181847732012-Porsche-991-Carrera_01.jpg

13257182054082012-Porsche-991-Carrera_02.jpg

13257182599872012-Porsche-991-Carrera_03.jpg

13257182781852012-Porsche-991-Carrera_04.jpg

2012-Porsche-991-Carrera_05.jpg

2012-Porsche-991-Carrera_06.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

wink

--

In Park Lane, no less..?!

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Yes, that's Park Lane. I'm curious - the Porsche dealer moved from Park Lane and has been in Mayfair for some time now.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Allow me to come back to this recently posted photo.  The back end again...  

It's really remarkable how much higher the line looks on the new car, due to the curve of the bumper.  Even though if you see beyond that curve, the car is actually very similar in terms of height of the lights, exhaust, window lines etc.  But the curve really is high...  I've said it before: the lower look on the  997 looks so much more lower... and "planted": all the lines are dropping down towards the gravel.

Mmmmm.  I like the new car.  I like the more modern grill, and the new lights... 

...but I still prefer the old lines...  The new one just doesn't look as sporty.  Sorry.Smiley

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Agree completely Budster, this photo really stood out to me too.  The 991 higher bumper line and sharp edge above the exhaust  are very much Panamera in design.

The higher bumper line is maybe one of the reasons why Porsche no longer need the ugly bumberettes for the US market

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

zeshark:

Thanks for the pics. Those are the best comparison pics I've seen.. The above shot definitely caught me off-guard, I was expecting the reverse; that the 991 front would look more sporty, sharper, more exotic'ish .... Pedestrian Crash regs?????

These pics demonstrate just how careful Porsche is to develop/design cars in an evolutionary way.  Each new model is an advance, but does not render the old one out of date or unattractive--thus pleasing both current and future purchasers. 

These pics are also a bit deceptive though, as they focus on particular aspects of the cars (rear lights, front bumper, etc.) and do not capture the overall differences in design and appeal.  For someone to really comprehend the differences, he must really view the two models together in real life. 

SmileyBudster:

Allow me to come back to this recently posted photo.  The back end again...  

It's really remarkable how much higher the line looks on the new car, due to the curve of the bumper.  Even though if you see beyond that curve, the car is actually very similar in terms of height of the lights, exhaust, window lines etc.  But the curve really is high...  I've said it before: the lower look on the  997 looks so much more lower... and "planted": all the lines are dropping down towards the gravel.

Mmmmm.  I like the new car.  I like the more modern grill, and the new lights... 

...but I still prefer the old lines...  The new one just doesn't look as sporty.  Sorry.Smiley

SmileySmiley

STRADALE:
    zeshark:

Pedestrian Crash regs?????

Probably yes.  I had read they had to make the front hood thicker in order to pass the new pedestrian crash regulations.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

^ No, pedestrian crash regulations only determine the minimum height of the hood above the engine. There are no such things if the engine is at the back, like in this case. Here the front is just more rounded as a consequence of the new design direction.

RE: Pedestrian crashes - I thought I remembered seeing something on the bumper & hood shape though..  "wrap around distance" (2nd attachment below) is interesting comparing front bumpers & hood of the 997 vs 991. Don't know how much the testing/ratings of the European New Car Assessment Programme for Ped impact effects design exactly by Porsche.

uxx.jpg

1325881153456Untitled.jpg

ux.jpg

2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S -- Road Test -- Road & Track...

(20 December 2012)

You want a gutsy performance? How about in Network, where Peter Finch’s character, a cynical disillusioned newsman, beaten down by the system, rallies his viewers to get up, go to the window and shout, “I’m as mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore!” Powerful, Oscar-winning stuff—eyes bulging, booming voice quavering with rage, a 9.0 on the Richter Scale of gut-wrenching pathos. YouTube it; you won’t be sorry.

And then there’s the Porsche 911. An equally gutsy actor in the automotive realm, the 911 came into the world as an anti-establishment punk of a sports car whose torsion-bar suspension, six horizontally opposed cylinders, rear engine location and tapered tail were far from the mainstream paradigm of high performance. Yet since its debut in September of 1964, the 911 has steadily, defiantly gotten better through each iteration, just when you thought that all room for improvement had been exhausted. You could say this Porsche has made its competitors mad as hell…but if the brilliance of the new car is any indication, they’ll have to continue taking it for decades to come.

Which brings us the Racing Yellow 911 Carrera S before you. The new 911 (dubbed 991 internally) is larger, but incrementally so, as overall length grows by 2.2 in. and wheelbase grows by 3.9 in. (now 96.5). Yet overhangs are trimmed, and most important, the rear axle moves aft roughly 3 in. relative to the engine (made possible by new 3-shaft transmissions whose output flanges are moved closer to the engine), resulting in a significant tweaking of the proportions, and a slightly less rear-heavy weight distribution. Add a wider front track—a full 2.0 in. wider for the Carrera S model we tested—and you end up with a significant challenge for the design team headed by Michael Mauer.

Head on, the new 911 has very wide-set headlights that are now a bit more 3-dimensional. Front fender peaks are a bit less prominent, and wedgy directionals now appear to float above the intakes for the twin coolant radiators. It’s that stretched rear three-quarter view that’s changed the most, with a slightly more voluminous form, thin taillight slivers capped with the protruding lip of a much wider retractable spoiler and ventilation slats that stick proud of the bodywork.

The biggest change inside is the high center console, inspired by the Carrera GT, adopted by the Panamera and now seen here in slimmed-down form. Purists may miss the more open feel of the 997’s lower console (and having the base of the windshield much closer to the dash), but there’s no arguing about ease of access to the nicely straightforward controls for chassis settings, ventilation, etc. Sport seats are great, with secure lateral hold without the 997’s upper-torso “pinch point,” and there’s more head room beneath the lovely Alcantara lining, despite a lower roofline, made possible by a tilt-and-slide sunroof panel that articulates outside the roof. Of course, the mandatory 5-circle gauge cluster remains (the second one from the right is a multi-configurable LCD display) as does the ignition socket to the left of the steering column. That last item, incidentally, now tilts and telescopes.

The new 3.8-liter direct-injected flat-6, however, can be clearly felt and heard in finest 911 tradition. Horsepower is now 400 at 7400 rpm—a 15-bhp bump over its predecessor—and torque is up 15 lb.-ft., to 325 at 5600 rpm, the gains enabled by a lofty 7600-rpm redline and freer breathing through lower-restriction intake and exhaust systems. The hot-wire airflow sensor gives way to a manifold pressure sensor, cleaning up the intake pathway; and multi-hole direct injectors optimize combustion efficiency. On S models, an exhaust flap opens at higher rpm, putting all four exhaust tips into play. Two transmissions are offered: Our test car’s 7-speed paddle-shift twin-clutch PDK, or in an industry first, a 7-speed manual. On the latter, a solenoid blocks an inadvertent 4-7 upshift, as 5th or 6th gear must be selected first. The linkage has a light and precise action, and the tall overdrive 7th ratio (0.71:1) allows for relaxed cruising: 80 mph equates to just 2200 rpm.

Although the load-bearing unibody of the new 991 is primarily high-strength steel, the trunklid, door skins, roof panel and fenders are of aluminum. The result is a body-in-white that’s 176 lb. lighter than the 997’s. And Porsche says that total weight of the 991 Carrera S with PDK (versus a comparably equipped 997) is about 88 lb. lighter, at 3120 lb.

On fast, flowing canyon roads around Santa Barbara and during performance testing at Camarillo airport, we were able to thoroughly evaluate Zuffenhausen’s latest. The Carrera S’ flat-6 is fabulously torquey, strong at 3000 rpm and absolutely ferocious from 5500 rpm to the lofty redline. And every trip around the tach is an aural treat—a sliding scale of tone and pitch, that classic 911 combination of resonance, tick and howl with the horn section of a manic orchestra thrown in at the upper reaches.

The PDK’s launch mode makes repeatable, violent standing-start passes as easy as flipping a light switch: Select the Sport Plus mode of our test car’s Sport Chrono Package, stand on the gas and brake simultaneously (while the engine winds up to a preset launch rpm), and abruptly lift off the brake. Bam! Perfect wheelspin, and you’re punted forward as if rear-ended by an 18-wheeler. We recorded a wicked 3.5-second blast to 60 mph and a quarter mile of 11.8 sec.—numbers that equal or better the performance of the 997-based GT3 RS 4.0! Braking? Multiply the acceleration violence by a factor of 1.5 or so; the monobloc aluminum calipers (6-piston front, 4-piston rear), cast-iron rotors and deft ABS logic make for phenomenally short distances and straight-line braking that can be done hands-free. As before, ceramic-composite brakes are available, an $8520 option.

Over the road, the wider front track, a new multilink rear suspension with redone kinematics and 20-in. wheels and Pirelli P Zero tires (245/35ZR-20 front, 295/30ZR-20 rear) provide tautly suspended, precise control. And with the PASM you can choose the level of ride comfort and suspension aggression, along with different mapping for the PDK’s lightning-fast shifts. New for the 991 is the optional PDCC active roll stabilization, lighter and more compact than the split anti-roll bar setup in the Panamera and Cayenne. Instead, each conventional anti-roll bar drop link is replaced by a small 2-way hydraulic actuator. Depending on your level of driving aggression and the mode selected, the system can effectively add spring rate to any wheel to mitigate roll.

The new 991 is hard to fault dynamically. You really have to make a gross driving error to get the chassis to break a sweat, and even then the stability nannies intervene in the gentlest, least intrusive way. Forget any past wicked tendencies toward lift-throttle oversteer; the 991 exhibits easily catchable, controlled breakaway, and circles our skidpad at an impressive 0.99g. The new electric-assist steering (another 911 first) is nicely direct and communicative, filtering out the most obnoxious bumps and nibbles but still letting you feel every crack and surface nuance. If there’s any doubt of the 991’s handling prowess and controllability, consider that its Nordschleife lap time of 7:40 is a full 14 sec. quicker than its predecessor’s.

Reinventing the 911 for a new generation is a difficult and often thankless task, especially for those in love with the previous iteration. But when it comes to improving on the seemingly unimprovable, the engineers at Zuffenhausen have a 7-0 career record.

Porsche 991 Carrera S -- Road and Track -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

I love the last sentence:

But when it comes to improving on the seemingly unimprovable, the engineers at Zuffenhausen have a 7-0 career record.

kiss

--

2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S -- Data Panel -- Road & Track...

2012-Porsche-991-Carrera-S_Road-and-Track_DataPanel.jpg

0 - 60 mph = 3.5 seconds... Smiley

2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S -- Data Panel -- Road & Track -- Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690245 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409584 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255896 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235137 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65622 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858304 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774523 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM