Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Which new car should RC get: Cayenne or Panamera?!!

993Targa:

With black ext I would choose black with yellow stitching (matching the PCCBs) or red stitching for the Turbo brakes. The stitching is an exclusive option for the Cayenne, but very expensive... I passed.  I also never liked the grey interiors in Porsches, had one in a black 964 and it didn't look like leather.

I have the espresso interior in my Cayenne and I'm very happy with it. It's dark and looks sporty, but its has something extra, luxurious compared to black IMHO. It should look great with black as well.

Just returned from Austria and was overtaken by a Panamera Turbo and it was in Yachting blue. Normally not a fan of blues but it looked really nice on the Panamera. 

Yachting blue? Not my cup of tea, too elegant and a color which is a bit too stylish.

I would order color stitching but I'm not sure it is possible. I haven't seen any available options for the Panamera I'm afraid. This is actually weird because different color stitching options are available for all other Porsche models, including the Cayenne like you already pointed out.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Deviated stitching is available via order by z-form. Your dealer know the how to
    :-)
    --
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Conny997:
    Deviated stitching is available via order by z-form. Your dealer know the how to
    :-)

Good to know but I'm not sure I'm going to order it.

Right now I'm back to black exterior with black painted wheels and a black interior with carbon. Plain and simple.

I think this is the right combo for me, I'm not the type of guy who likes many different color combos and my son is OK with this too. Smiley

Still thinking about getting a Cayenne Turbo instead though...I will make my final decision when I sign the lease contract. Smiley I'm still not very fond of the Panamera design, even if it looks much better in person and I'm also afraid that a Panamera isn't the right car for me. My last sedan, a Mercedes E55 AMG, just wasn't me...I like sports cars and SUVs and a sedan just doesn't feel right...

Oh boy, I wish I had signed the lease contract on the spot without thinking too much... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I had a seal 997 4S....it wasn't me.  I changed it for a black 997 2S and this feels like ' me ' indecision

Reading your posts, RC, I just think you are taking a big chance by ordering the Panamera .  But if you take the Cayenne, you might always wonder how the Panamera would of been 

I think that the only reason why you lean towards the Panamera is because it is faster then the Cayenne and you want the ' fastest beast on the road '

Why not get the Cayenne TS and tuned it slightly so that it is at par with the Pana TS ?

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Christian ,it depends what you need to do with this car.

Yesterday i had the time to take up my 997TT after two months i don't drive it....well,WHAT A CAR,i forget how much i  like to drive it.Yes the Cayenne TT is fast,is beautiful etc. But the feeling of a 911 can't be the same of a Cayenne or also of a Panamera.

So if you need a family car go for the Cayenne,is a "bigger" Panamera,if you need a sportscar,take a 911,the Panamera is not a "bigger" 911.

or at least this i what i think.

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

IMO, this is the best color on panamera

Very cool pics. I like powerful colors. But I saw this color the last week in person at a Porsche dealer and must say you can't go for it. Its far to flashy...Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Audi blue...
    --

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

RC,

hear on your stomach feeling. This tells you "I dont like a Pana". You are trying to convince yourself. You will regret it. Like with the E55 AMG.

Go for a Cayenne, that's your car.

It also looks smaller, cheaper, from behind like a japanese SUV.

Dont' get black wheels.

This makes the car, exclusive, noticeable. It will not look like the other SUVs in your village.

Hi RC! We are vacationing at a beautiful resort and drove here in the Cayenne. The car is so easy to pack up, and feels safe and comfortable on the crowded interstates. When we arrived at the front reception I thought the car
    looked elegant and I was quite proud to see it parked under the entrance lights. (I know that's a bit weird). But no one else seemed to notice, and no one said "beautiful car!" or made any comment at all. Later that evening a guest arrived in a dirty black Panamera 4S and folks started buzzing about what a knockout car it was. I asked the concierge why the buzz over it as compared to a Porsche SUV and he says he sees SUVs all the time and can't tell one from another. But he said the Panamera was so different and "cool". It sort of p...sed me off, but I got his point.

So there you go--just another confusing thought for you!

I try to reply to several posts in a single post (thanks a lot for your input, guys...very helpful):

1. If I could afford to own another garage queen like the 911 Turbo or a GT3 RS, I would do so. I know that the Panamera Turbo S cannot replace a 911 Turbo or even a GT3 RS but it is close to the 911 Turbo regarding drive feel and almost as fast as the first generation 997 Turbo with 480 hp. We're talking about a sedan with four full seats and enough room for luggage and even skis.

2. Aquablue met. is quite flashy and it looks horrible on such a big car. My dealer has a V6 (!) in this color and with PCCB (former owner must be insane) and trust me, this is not really a good color for such a big car...unless you want to stand out from the crowd.

3. Yes, I actually like the Cayenne more but from a performance driver point of view, the Panamera Turbo S is the much better choice. I know this will be a love-hate relationship but the Panamera has AWD (the E55 I owned didn't) and handling performance is also much better, the Panamera Turbo S really feels almost like my former 997 Turbo. Almost, not quite. 

4. On my way to Austria, I saw at least 10 Cayenne within a time frame of two hours. I saw only one Panamera, so I get the "standing out of the crowd" thing Wonderbar mentioned. Not sure I like it though. The Panamera has quite a "presence" on the street.

On my way to our ski vacation, I talked a lot with my wife and the kids about my decision and I think it is the right one. 

Yes, if I had the choice between a Cayenne and a Panamera with the same performance, I would have chosen the Cayenne. Since there is no Cayenne as fast as the Panamera Turbo S, my choice is clear.

I may not fully like how the Panamera Turbo S looks but it is a lot of fun to drive.

Current choice: Black (non-met.) with black rims, black exterior package, black interior (maybe with yellow stitching, not sure yet) with full carbon, PCCB, Burmester, black front lights, black rear wing, privacy glass, rear side airbags, skibag, sunroof.

--

RC:

Current choice: Black (non-met.) with black rims, black exterior package, black interior (maybe with yellow stitching, not sure yet) with full carbon, PCCB, Burmester, black front lights, black rear wing, privacy glass, rear side airbags, skibag, sunroof.

That's a good choice, but I'm not sure about the yellow stitching....

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

SoCal Alan:
    RC:

That's a good choice, but I'm not sure about the yellow stitching....

Well...this is why I'm not sure yet.. Smiley

--

IMO I wouldn't go with yellow stitching unless there were several other interior elements in that color to match with (seat belts, dials, paited plactic bits, etc... the yellow PCCBs don't help since they are on the outside and small), but maybe with light grey stitching? it still makes the stitching visible which is really nice, but still blends nicely.
    --

Carlos from Spain:
    IMO I wouldn't go with yellow stitching unless there were several other interior elements in that color to match with (seat belts, dials, paited plactic bits, etc... the yellow PCCBs don't help since they are on the outside and small), but maybe with light grey stitching? it still makes the stitching visible which is really nice, but still blends nicely.

Nice idea, I look into it. It could look nice with the carbon. Smiley Still not sure if deviating stitching is necessary.

--

RC:

In-met.) with black rims, black exterior package, black interior (maybe with yellow stitching, not sure yet) with full carbon, PCCB, Burmester, black front lights, black rear wing, privacy glass, rear side airbags, skibag, sunroof.

Smiley Perfect colors  choices ! And I agree not to go for yellow stitching but for a ' silver' looking sticking 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Well, I thing you nailed it. Good and very professional choice. Very close to my own taste, if I would order a Panamera.
    This combo is one of the sort "you can't go wrong with it".
    Congrats.Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

The carbongrau looks interesting for someone who likes darker colours. I haven't seen it in real life, though.

Also the black interior with carbon looks very nice!

1325588592620normal.jpgnormal2.jpg1325588624780zoom.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

Thanks, reginos. I've seen Carbongrau live in person and it looks better (less brownish) than on photos but this still isn't really my color, sorry. Agate Grey (Achatgrau) would have been a nice color, I really like it but it kind of makes the car look more elegant and my son hates it (he actually hates any color with the exception of black broken heart) but my wife hates silver tones and Agate Grey isn't really her thing either, so I think I'm going to stick with black.

Black on black is a timeless combo, I've seen it on my former 997 Turbo, it just doesn't get outdated (maybe a little bit boring though).

I still have time until January 9th, so keep em' coming...your suggestions and ideas, I really appreciate them. wink

--

RC , here's some pic's.....hope it will help you to make a right decision

132560855157801.jpg02.jpg132560856442303.jpg04.jpg

--

Thanks. I think my decision is pretty clear now, I met an old friend here in Austria with his company car...amazing look, this is exactly what I'm going for (he claims that he went for this one, so I can see it live Smiley). He doesn't have PCCB and the wheels are custom painted (by Porsche but not available from the factory). Oh, he had no problems with his car driving on snow, just ride height is a little bit more critical but it is OK for most streets. Oh...Panamera Turbo S. indecision

panski1.jpg

panaski2.jpg

--

I really like he GTS interior with the alcantara and red stitching. I would take the black leather red or yellow stitching plus the carbon parts with a black exterior. smiley

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

993Targa:

I really like he GTS interior with the alcantara and red stitching. I would take the black leather red or yellow stitching plus the carbon parts with a black exterior. smiley

This actually looks pretty sweet, thanks a lot. I will look into it (apparently this interior is only available for the GTS but I wouldn't mind the GTS lettering...even in a Turbo S). I'd have to choose the regular brake though since Porsche doesn't offer a caliper color option anymore (Exclusive).

--

Oh, I forget to mention one observation I made while trying to find the right color for my Panamera: The Panamera does not look good on photos, I would even go as far as claiming that this is not a photogenic car. No kidding. I remember how amazing my friend's black Panamera looked today and the photos don't do it justice at all. Weird.

--

Totally agree that car looks better in person!  On stitching, I would go for yellow and yellow belts, even yellow dash dials or stopwatch.  Would nicely complement the PCCBs. 

how about this color combo.  i prefer a dark brown with grey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpUWCTt7D-w

RC:

Thanks. I think my decision is pretty clear now, I met an old friend here in Austria with his company car...amazing look, this is exactly what I'm going for (he claims that he went for this one, so I can see it live Smiley). He doesn't have PCCB and the wheels are custom painted (by Porsche but not available from the factory). Oh, he had no problems with his car driving on snow, just ride height is a little bit more critical but it is OK for most streets. Oh...Panamera Turbo S. indecision

panaski2.jpg

These all black wheels give the car a very utility vehicle look Smiley

IMO the Panamera Sport wheels, factory painted in black with the outer silver ring are much more good looking and dynamic at the same time Smiley

20Zoll_PanameraSport_schwarz_big.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

I fully agree with Reginos, those wheels look like a test mule yes  (at least int the pics) but the SportWheels with the silver ring look much better.

--

I agree with both:-)

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Carlos from Spain:

I fully agree with Reginos, those wheels look like a test mule yes  (at least int the pics) but the SportWheels with the silver ring look much better.

--

Smiley ...also the car had winter tires.

Btw: I never liked the silver lining...but I get your point, I prefer however the "cheaper" look. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804034 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448732 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266350 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90164 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6749 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886076 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834420 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM