Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Which new car should RC get: Cayenne or Panamera?!!

RC, the way you are picking the car, the colour etc is how I pick cars ... analytically weighing up every factor.

Your wife is picking her choice using her intuition, what she has seen looks good on others etc.

If you're lucky, both methods yield the same result :)

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

If you're lucky, both methods yield the same result :)

You really want to make our car choices based on female intuition ? Smiley

Smiley

I'm not stupid, I know why my wife wants a Panamera, she is more of a show-off than I am and I understand her very well. She works hard, she has her own business and she deserves to show off her success but unfortunately my business is a little bit more delicate and people don't really appreciate financial success, no matter how satisfied they are with your business. To combine both is kind of difficult because I can afford to lease such an expensive car and my wife can't for fiscal reasons.

I am willing to try the Panamera but being "stuck" with it over 4 years is kind of a deal breaker. Especially since the facelift is due 2013 and from what I heard, it will make the Panamera look smaller and...better (just compare the first gen Cayenne pre-facelift and facelift, huge difference already). On the other hand, I doubt that Porsche will offer any substantial performance upgrades for the Panamera Turbo S, even after the facelift because the Turbo S is already fricking fast. 20 horses more or so (rumored facelift power increase for Turbo) don't really matter anymore.

The next generation Panamera is due 2015, so the lease would be perfect to be able to switch to the next generation Panamera Turbo or maybe even Turbo S.

On the other hand, I really like high performance SUVs, the high seating position, the advantages during winter time...I love SUVs.

Oh boy...I should order a VW Beetle and be done with it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Christian,i lost the passage when from the Cayenne(that your kids prefer) you went to the Panamera...cheeky

but no problem,about the colour i can tell only a thing,black is the best,but last week in Milan i saw a matt black Pana Turbo with Turbo wheels and PCCB brakes...well,looks really great!!

It must be lowered a few ,becouse i don't know if is fault of the colour but the space between the tyres and the body seems too much...but i'm sure it was the best looking Panamera i saw from the start till today.kiss

Think about again a few on the matt black.

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

Well...actually my wife is to blame for my change of mind (Cayenne -> Panamera) because she said something very true: We already had a Cayenne, why not try a Panamera now ? The Turbo S is really a monster, performance is amazing, it is at 997 Turbo (first gen) level, so you can imagine what this means for a sedan.

In numbers: Compared to the regular Cayenne Turbo (without powerkit), the Panamera Turbo S is 4 seconds faster from 0-200 kph and I don't have to explain to you what 4 seconds mean. Handling is also very 911-like, something I'm really going to miss because the lease, no matter if Panamera or Cayenne, would be 4 years. You still have your 997 Turbo but I wouldn't have my 911 anymore. So since the Panamera Turbo S is the only Porsche (for now) in the family, I think that it makes sense. Somehow.

My son wants the Panamera too, he is the one driving most of the time with me and my daughter said that she likes the Panamera 40% and the Cayenne 60%, so in her language this means that she would accept the Panamera.

Last but not least: We are going to have the BMW X5M until April 2012, so we would have two SUVs in our garage. Doesn't really make sense. Also my wife may go for a Cayenne Diesel after the X5M lease runs out 2012 and a Cayenne or Cayun Diesel and a Panamera Turbo S make a lot of sense. a Cayenne Diesel or Cajun Diesel and a Cayenne Turbo not so much. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC, do you have any information on whether Porsche will offer a 5th seat option in the panamera facelift like bmw has for the 6er Gran Coupe?

RC, your summary is making more sense all the time... I don't think you'll have any regrets with the logic so well honed now...
    --

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

I have a Black/Black/Carbon Panamera Turbo with PCCB and 20" RS Spyder wheels in painted silver.

I love it and get all sorts of compliments.  Of course, I don't live in a German high-envy environment.

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT + 2008 Tesla Roadster +2010 Panamera Turbo + 2001 BMW Z8 + 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi +2009 Bentley Arnage T

RC:

Last but not least: We are going to have the BMW X5M until April 2012, so we would have two SUVs in our garage. Doesn't really make sense. Also my wife may go for a Cayenne Diesel after the X5M lease runs out 2012 and a Cayenne or Cayun Diesel and a Panamera Turbo S make a lot of sense. a Cayenne Diesel or Cajun Diesel and a Cayenne Turbo not so much. Smiley

Considering just the Cayenne and the Panamera just by themselves I was voting for the Cayenne previously because it covers more bases, but taking this last paragraph in consideration then the Panamera definately makes more sense IMO  Smiley If you will have the X5 for a while and then swithing it for a Cayenne diesel or Cajun then it makes no sense to lease a Cayenne for 4 years, the Panamera will make the better combination for these 4 years.

--

palenimbus:

RC, do you have any information on whether Porsche will offer a 5th seat option in the panamera facelift like bmw has for the 6er Gran Coupe?

I'm afraid the fifth seat is coming with the next generation, not with the current one anymore.

The missing fifth seat was actually the reason my wife didn't want the Panamera but if I start to explain female logic, I'll end up writing hundreds of posts... Smiley

I'm actually glad the Panamera has only four seats, so I'm going to be the only one to drive it 99% of the time. Smiley

--

RC:

Yes, the current Panamera somehow reminds me of the first gen Cayenne...unfortunately.

--

Yes, me too.  I can not help thinking that the the Cayenne's design is more mature than that of the Panamera, as the Cayenne's design has been refined vs the 1st generation whereas the Panamera design is the first iteration.

BTW, funny that you mention that the Panamera is much closer in feel to the 911's than the Cayenne, since in your driving report of the Panamera at the time you wrote that Panamera feels similar in driving feel to the Cayenne and that it felt that the same development team in charge of the Cayenne developed the Panamera. Smiley

RC,  I will honestly say that--as I get older (and have been married to my wife for twenty years now)--I have come more and more to trust a woman's intuition.  There have been many times when I would have decided one way, and she urged me otherwise, and she was right.  I am not joking here, just being truthful.  And to have your wife support your leasing an almost $200,000 car--that's wonderful in itself!  Just imagine how many wives would be resentful or angry about it...

Wonderbar:

.... I have come more and more to trust a woman's intuition.  There have been many times when I would have decided one way, and she urged me otherwise, and she was right ...

+1 Smiley I seek my wife's view pretty much every day on all kinds of matters both big and small ... her advice and intuition have proven invaluable in my experience Smiley

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

RC, I like Carrara White ... just asked my wife for her view - she said it looks better in black and it helps to disguise the size of the car :)

She also says that black wheels on a black car of this car will just make it look like a gangsta car ...

Also, she says the interior shouldn't be black ... she says there needs to be a colour that livens up that big interior as a nice place to be ...

Personally, I agree ... I would pick black with a tan leather interior ... it would look very stylish :)

--

997.1 C2S

Just a few small comments:
    As the sole Porsche, a Cayenne may not work if maximum power is on demand. Only the Panamera Turbo S fulfills all wishes to power, handling and 4-doors. It can replace almost a 911 Turbo, but meets all everyday needs.

The color:
    Grey and black fit very well. But never matt black.enlightened This is a no go.
    The tubo II wheels fit not so well to black. I would choose the sport wheels in painted black. This is at least consistent. A consideration: Why not agate grey on black-painted sports wheels in combination with the Sport Design Package?

Inside I would choose dark colors for sure not beige or cedar. Most women want however bright colours inside and want to see a contrast to the exterior colour, because they are in need of harmony. yes

However, a 500 HP sportslimo may be quiet a bit martial, so its best to run the Panamera with black Interior, perhaps with stitching in the color of the brake calipers. These are my recommendations.

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Right now I can't find a pic with the combo grey/black wheels on a Panamera.
    Just for imagination, this was my former Cayenne gen.1 FL, with black exterior package

p1010608zyh0.jpg

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

that's a nice comboangel

easy_rider911:

RC, I like Carrara White ... just asked my wife for her view - she said it looks better in black and it helps to disguise the size of the car :)

She also says that black wheels on a black car of this car will just make it look like a gangsta car ...

Also, she says the interior shouldn't be black ... she says there needs to be a colour that livens up that big interior as a nice place to be ...

Personally, I agree ... I would pick black with a tan leather interior ... it would look very stylish :)

I have to say that I agree 100% with both you and your wife.Smiley

RC:

Well...actually my wife is to blame for my change of mind (Cayenne -> Panamera) because she said something very true: We already had a Cayenne, why not try a Panamera now ? The Turbo S is really a monster, performance is amazing, it is at 997 Turbo (first gen) level, so you can imagine what this means for a sedan.

In numbers: Compared to the regular Cayenne Turbo (without powerkit), the Panamera Turbo S is 4 seconds faster from 0-200 kph and I don't have to explain to you what 4 seconds mean. Handling is also very 911-like, something I'm really going to miss because the lease, no matter if Panamera or Cayenne, would be 4 years. You still have your 997 Turbo but I wouldn't have my 911 anymore. So since the Panamera Turbo S is the only Porsche (for now) in the family, I think that it makes sense. Somehow.

My son wants the Panamera too, he is the one driving most of the time with me and my daughter said that she likes the Panamera 40% and the Cayenne 60%, so in her language this means that she would accept the Panamera.

Ok,now is all clear!And after reading this,you are right,in your case a PAna is better than the Cayenne!Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

Conny997:

Right now I can't find a pic with the combo grey/black wheels on a Panamera.
    Just for imagination, this was my former Cayenne gen.1 FL, with black exterior package

Here it is: 

RC,

whatever you chose it's just another ''cop-car'' in Arab state of Qatar. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kjsDZS0Mno

Smiley

dxpetrov:

RC,

Smiley

Cool, thanks. Now my son wants even more a Panamera...incl. the police lights. Smiley

--

dxpetrov:

RC,

Smiley

WOW! Thats impressive Smiley

--

You did it, guys...congratulations. indecision

I changed the exterior color to Agate Grey Met. + black painted wheels and the interior color to bi-color black/grey (nice contrast with carbon).

pantsf.jpg

I'm ready to order this one...what do you guys think ? devil

--

Looks good from the outside ... I guess you have to ask yourself if you like grey interiors?

--

997.1 C2S

easy_rider911:

Looks good from the outside ... I guess you have to ask yourself if you like grey interiors?

No, I'm not a friend of a grey interior but bi-color looks OK, especially with carbon.

Black is just too dark and the other color combos just don't kick it off for me, I can't help it. With two kids, I can't go for a very light interior, it would look blue and black after a year. Smiley I also wear Jeans, my wife too, they tend to leave the blue color on the leather. Difficult...

--

RC:

You did it, guys...congratulations. indecision

I changed the exterior color to Agate Grey Met. + black painted wheels and the interior color to bi-color black/grey (nice contrast with carbon).

pantsf.jpg

I'm ready to order this one...what do you guys think ? devil

Exterior: THE colour for Panamera and black wheels match very well kiss The car looks very technical and very Porsche.

Interior: IMO full black is the best. But if you don't want black seats then your chosen combination (black dashboard, carbon decor and grey seats) is very nice too. It's good that the top of the dash and the steering wheel are black.

I hope you stick with this combination.

--

"Form follows function"

That was the int I saw in person , looks great with the carbon contrast.

congrats !!! Smiley

RC, I had no comment up to know because I was expecting you to have second thoughts. However, I think that the time to speak my mind has come:) Go for this combo and stop looking back. I believe is the best trade off so far.
    --

There is no try. Just do.

I think it looks great RC, plus, my wife thinks the same!  Smiley

Better go for it! Smiley

My wife is also OK with it (not that she cares...she was pretty upset when I asked her again..."I thought you already ordered the car..."

Well...wives. angry

The combo seems to be the best so far, so I think I'm going to order it. 

Thanks again, guys !

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806266 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449446 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267019 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7171 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887122 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835814 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM