Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Which new car should RC get: Cayenne or Panamera?!!

Found this on the internet...pretty close to "my" Panamera Turbo S.

blackpana.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

What do you guys think about matte black. I know a pro who can do that using a special film. Looks pretty nice and the original paint stays completely protected.

panamatt.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Much prefer the gloss black.  And my dealer says matte is extremely difficult to clean.  Looks a bit mafia-like to me.

But wow, what a car.  Yum,Yum...

RC:

What do you guys think about matte black. I know a pro who can do that using a special film. Looks pretty nice and the original paint stays completely protected.

panamatt.jpg

Is the matte harder for paint correction. Like it though..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

RC Great Choice. I vote for the gloss black but also might consider the basalt black and black interior.  I would also consider  some deviated stitching in yellow along with yellow seat belts.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

Budster:

Just for a bit of fun, the voting is now open, so here goes:

It's got to be the Panamera, RC!

So that's P 1: C 0 (please keep the score going as you add your vote!!!)

__

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

991 Turbo S, Blk/Blk w/ PDK, fully loaded.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

Great choice RC, my favourite car!

Gloss is more elegant and discrete, matt would stand up a lot.

--

911 Carrera 3.2 - 997 Carrera

SoCal Alan:

991 Turbo S, Blk/Blk w/ PDK, fully loaded.

Maybe after the Panamera Turbo S... Smiley

Btw: Today I somehow got second thoughts about the Panamera. It is kind of...huge, even the Cayenne looks much smaller, I can't help it. This isn't really my type of car and I'm afraid I may regret it but it drives very nicely, the closest thing Porsche has to offer close to a 911 and my wife likes it a lot (which kind of worries me in a weird way Smiley).

What worries me also is the fact that next to a Cayenne Turbo, the Panamera kind of looks...old. Especially the interior of the Cayenne looks more fresh, everything in the Panamera looks so....huge and big.

What is going on with me ? Am I crazy or is it normal to get second thoughts ? The Panamera is still not a beauty, this may be another reason I have second thoughts but I'm more afraid of the "looking old" regret.

I'm also not too sure about the facelift: I got assured that the facelift doesn't come before 2013 but I'm not sure it makes sense. The Panamera will be three years old in 2012 and as far as I heard, the next generation is due 2015. 2012 would be the perfect year for the facelift introduction in my opinion but everybody I asked, incl. the dealer, claims 2013.

I know this is a lease, so I can't do anything really wrong but still, I don't want to end up with the "wrong" car.

Dammit...I should have signed the contract on Friday and after that I should have never looked back. This happens, if you have time to think things through... Smiley Smiley

--

The live version of "your" Turbo S kiss

c361812122011204346_2.jpg

c361812122011204346_3.jpg

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

Thanks a lot, Lukas. This really helps to raise my confidence that I made the right choice. Smiley

Btw: The car on the photos has the Sport Design Package. Maybe an option I should look in to...

--

Not sure if you guys have already seen this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXRP0525SzQ

Amazingly fast.

--

Yes, the Sport Design Package is worth to think about even with black exterior. I saw it in person the last week in front of a hotel in Regensburg even on a Panamera Turbo S.  A business partner of mine (he owns a lot of expensive cars) claimed "Look, that's the new Panamera."
    I told him, that this wasn't a new Panamera but the Turbo S with SDP. "Well",  he said, " it looks kinda fresh and new".

Nothing to add...

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

RC:

Not sure if you guys have already seen this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXRP0525SzQ

Amazingly fast.

Smiley Cool video.
    Best: look at the drivers hands at 300 kph. Total smoothly, no correction necessary. Do that with a 997....

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

The time is actually impressive (even if not quite accurate since they don't take into account the speedo error).
    I checked out a couple of Sport Design photos and while it really looks good, it makes the Panamera even look bigger in my opinion. Not really the best choice for me.

I hope that by choosing black, the proportions of the Panamera kind of fade in a way or another, so the car looks less "massive". White is also a nice color but I wouldn't choose it in Germany. It makes the Panamera look even bigger than it is (the "big white whale" as a car journalist called a white Panamera in a review)..

--

Two comments, RC.

I tested a black, black Panamera Turbo last week, and then parked it beside my 2009 Cayenne Turbo S.  The Panamera looked very small and low in comparison.  Try that comparison and you may feel better.

In the pics you posted of the black Panamera, I noticed that nobody is really gawking at the car.  I know this is city pic, but it should give you some confidence about not standing out.

I honestly think the Panamera design looks more unique and modern than even the new Cayenne which to me looks a bit like the ubiquitous Lexus   SUV. 

But  I usually know i have made a good decision if I feel good afterwards.  If you are still feeling badly, just wait a while and another possibility may appear...

You should put the Panamera next to a "new" Cayenne...the Panamera looks huge in comparison.

I'm pretty sure I will go for the Panamera Turbo S, the performance is just too good to pass on but I have a weird feeling that this isn't the right car for me, I can't help it. Maybe because the Cayenne was always my "second" car, my family car and this is going to be my one and only Porsche ? I don't know but I have a bad feeling. yes I'm really not a fan of the Panamera design, this may be another problem. The new Cayenne really grew on me, it looks very nice but the Panamera just...I can't help it.

Now I know how a bride must feel when she gets second thoughts... indecision (men usually don't get second thoughts, they know that they are going to get married...if they decide to do so).

--

I can understand your feeling very well. I also havn't decided for the Cayenne yet. My final decision will be made after the testdrive in the next week.

As for the bride:
    Most brides may think: it isn't a decision for the rest of the lifeindecision

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Size and performance comparisons of Panamera Turbo S and new Cayenne Turbo are interesting.  Panamera is 4.9 inches longer, 6.7 inches wider, but 11.2 inches lower and 386 pounds lighter.  Top speed of PTS is 190 mph, with 0-60 mph time of 3.6 seconds, and torque with overboost of 590 lb-ft.   Top speed of CT is 174 mph, with 0-60 time of 4.4 seconds, and torque of 516 lb-ft. 

So, as cowboys in old American western movies used to say--"pick your poison."  Both cars are stupendously powerful family rides....

RC, you've made a great choice! I would definitely consider the Sport Package and try to go for yellow stitching, that should look really exclusive with the interior and carbon bits.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Wonderbar:

Size and performance comparisons of Panamera Turbo S and new Cayenne Turbo are interesting.  Panamera is 4.9 inches longer, 6.7 inches wider, but 11.2 inches lower and 386 pounds lighter.  Top speed of PTS is 190 mph, with 0-60 mph time of 3.6 seconds, and torque with overboost of 590 lb-ft.   Top speed of CT is 174 mph, with 0-60 time of 4.4 seconds, and torque of 516 lb-ft. 

So, as cowboys in old American western movies used to say--"pick your poison."  Both cars are stupendously powerful family rides....

You didn't really make it easier for me. Smiley (btw: you forgot that I'm getting the powerkit for the Cayenne...if...)

According to my technical data (Germany), the Cayenne is slightly wider than the Panamera (1939 mm vs. 1931 mm), with mirrors, the difference is even bigger (2155 vs. 2114 mm). I checked the US technical data and indeed, the Panamera is wider than the Cayenne. Weird. I doubt that the German versions and US versions have different sizes, so there must be a conversion mistake somewhere. I rather think that somebody messed up when converting from German mm to US inches. Just a guess though.

The length isn't really a problem here, even if the Panamera is 124 mm longer than the Cayenne but the Cayenne can load up to 710 kg, the Panamera only 505 kg. If you would see my wife's luggage each time with travel by car, you would be concerned too. Smiley

--

Well...if he has one, why shouldn't I get one ? indecision

sly.jpg

--

Katie Price...hmm...should I really get a Panamera ? yes

katieprice.jpg

katieprice2.jpg

--

More young(er) Panamera owners: Bam Margera, Ryan Dunn (he died in a GT3 crash but apparently owned a Panamera too), Rob Dyrdek, Lyndsay Lohan (OK, maybe not a good example)...

Now I feel much younger but not necessarily better.

--

Also the Playboy named the Panamera car of the year 2010.

What do I want more ?

100107001.2.jpg

--

Even Strauss-Kahn is driving around in a Panamera...if this doesn't convince me...

kahn.jpg

--

Samantha Ronson drives a Panamera too (I don't have a clue who she is but she looks important ).

ronson.jpg

--

Adrian Sutil owns one (not sure I would want to be seen in this "special" version...I leave that to younger people and Formula One drivers ).

as1.jpg

--

hahaha that's funny! It's definitely a hip and elitist car. Not sure if that's going to go well with the social perception in Gemany.

In that pic, Stallone is barely taller

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Another fellow owner.

9973c4684a53ad2023952375579805e3m3pt7q.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

Hi RC!  I admire your sharing your anxiety about the car purchase, and it's fun for us to try to help.  Don't let these young hip photos dissuade you.  The Panamera is an elegant, sophisticated and unique car--top of the line.  I am almost 70, and am obsessively attracted to the car.  I have a wife and two wonderful kids, and in no way care about being hip or whether some fancy folks have one.

Also, believe me three or four years passes in a flicker.  This is  a fun decision, not a life altering monumental one.  Keeping having fun with your consideration--it's really not worth worrying about...

And thanks again for this great Forum!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806550 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449516 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267042 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90446 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7204 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887309 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836136 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM