Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 991 Carrera S - Review (Short)

Upon reviewing several professional journalist's reviews, the new 911S would appear about equal in straight line speed to the previous generation GTS and perhaps even the 911S. I'm talking about 0-60mph and 1/4 mile times (yes - not popular subjects for the Europeans LOL). Even their top speeds will be within a few mph.

Given the reduced weight and improved PDK, I would have expected a bit better. Certainly, not taking away any of its handling dynamics improvements, interior improvements etc.

The boost in "perceived" performance above 5,000rpm could be attributable to slight cam profile changes, intake & exhaust changes etc. Would not expect much difference, especially between the GTS and 991S - again, in a straight line.

www.insideline.com tested a 7sp manual and could do no better than 4.6s 0-60mph, although their 1/4 mile results were inline with previous generation models.

Perhaps we are reaching a point where further acceleration improvements require either MUCH greater hp or 4wdr?

cheers

Wonderful report RC - thanks!

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

mp:

www.insideline.com tested a 7sp manual and could do no better than 4.6s 0-60mph, although their 1/4 mile results were inline with previous generation models.

Perhaps we are reaching a point where further acceleration improvements require either MUCH greater hp or 4wdr?

cheers

A 991 Carrera S tested by a german car magazine did 0-100 kph in 3.9 seconds, Sport Chrono Plus and PDK. The best I've seen so far from the 997 Carrera GTS with PDK and Sport Chrono Plus was 4.2 seconds as far as I remember. Difference isn't big, Carrera GTS has 8 horses more  and is only 50 kg or so heavier.

Don't expect much difference in straightline performance though but on the track...different worlds according to reviewers.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC -  Since my last post I found a Road & Track test of the GTS, which did 0-60 in 3.8s and the 1/4 mile in 12.1s/115.4mph.  These times are most likely corrected and use a 1 ft roll-out.  Pretty good times, however. The 991s will be hard pressed to do better.

Still sounds like a convincing improvement over the 997.2 in most other ways. Thanks again to everyone for their reviews.

cheers

KresoF1:
    Gnil:

@Kreso : Realy looking forward to your test of -20mm + PDCC . I hope the weather will be ok.... over here it will be krap , so I hope you do not get the same !

I finally came back to my office today. Finally, I drove 991S today from Novigrad Istarski in Croatia till Ljubljana in Slovenia. Car was with Michelin Alpin 20" snow tires-so, keep that in mind.

First, I fully agree with RC regarding how much more civilised new 991 is in some regards like starting the engine. Simply, I found new engine starting to be something very welcome indeed.

Second, 991 is indeed a huge step forward in any objective term. However, some will find some of its merits quite disturbing on subjective term. 991 is less nervous, more confidence inspiring for dynamic driving then any previous 911. Period. 991 still requires some driving skills as very nicelly RC pointed out. Specially, for very fast driving in Sport + mode.

Since car that I drove is equiped with -20mm PASM/PDCC how does it actually feels? In short-fantastic. Despite winter tires. Body roll is soo much reduced in comparison to 997.1 -20mm that you can not belive it(my other friend owns 997.1 -20mm). System works excellent overall and question that many of you will ask: can you feel the system in works? Hmm... Actually, most of the time you can not. But, sometimes when you can expect and accept some body roll it do not happened. Then driver is wondering what is going on? In that case system do feel little bit artificial. Just... IMHO it is a must order option.

Is -20mm PASM/PDCC too hard for everyday driving? Not for me. In normal PASM mode car is very, very stable with pretty good comfort. Sport mode is naturally much harder. In fact this is my biggest complaine-I would like a third mode-something like replacing current Sport mode with Sport + signature and adding newly programmed Sport mode that could be little bit harder then normal mode. But, even in current state -20mm PASM/PDCC modes are more then enough for 95% of drivers. Other remark for potential costumers of 991/991S-if you currently own 997.1 -20mm or 997.2 -20mm SPASM you can only go for 991 equped with one of the version of -20mm. Also, keep in mind that 991S -20mm PASM/PDCC is actually more comfortable then 997.2 -20mm SPASM(since owner of car that I drove owned 997.2 -20mm SPASM before and he told me his findings in this regard).

Engine feels very powerfull for 400ps and I followed R8 V10 without any problem at around 200km/h. PDK works just like RC and Carlos described. And I fully agree with RC-PDK is a must.

Brakes. Standard ones and they work excellent. Amazing modulation. Do we need PCCBs for 991S? I do not think so. BTW, 991S is the stablest 911 in braking that I ever drove.

Steering. Again as RC described. I love it. BUT, some people wont like it at first.

New Sport seats Plus. Excellent, you do not need Adaptive version since you save some weight with basic Sport seats Plus.

New interior. Very, very nice indeed. Fit and finish quality above 997.2 level.

For the end I would like to point out that both Carlos and RC did an amazing job with their reviews. Smiley

Car that I drove was in Agate Grey with full Black leather. I took few pics and I will resize them and post them next week.

Hi Kreso,

Thanks for the nice review....Smiley

Road and Track times have always been quick, so until they test a 991, it is hard to compare. 

RC:
    mp:

cheers

A 991 Carrera S tested by a german car magazine did 0-100 kph in 3.9 seconds, Sport Chrono Plus and PDK. The best I've seen so far from the 997 Carrera GTS with PDK and Sport Chrono Plus was 4.2 seconds as far as I remember. Difference isn't big, Carrera GTS has 8 horses more  and is only 50 kg or so heavier.

Don't expect much difference in straightline performance though but on the track...different worlds according to reviewers.

RC, I would really like to shed that 50kg cheeky

Bitko:

RC, I would really like to shed that 50kg cheeky

Rip out the back seats, aircon, radio, carpets - for a start.  Smiley

Would have gone for GT3 if I didn't have an eight year old.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

I was given a surprise opportunity yesterday to take a 991 Carrera S for a very short (20-minute) test drive.  I should say upfront that this was a left-hand drive vehicle equipped with PDK - both of which are factors with which I am not acquainted on a day-to-day basis.  Also, I had just stepped out of my manual GTS, which is equipped with -20mm Sport PASM (and which I always drive in Sport mode with PSE on - but with suspension in Normal setting when not on a track).  Finally, the drive was mainly on a fairly straight piece of highway with smooth tarmac.

My first impression of the aesthetics was that Porsche has certainly tried to up the "luxury" factor in the interior.  The car I drove had the full leather interior in a cream/beige colour, which I must admit was a bit overwhelming - it felt like I was sitting in a mini Panamera.  A different 991 on the showroom floor had a black interior, which seemed less "in your face" and somehow more in keeping with the sporty nature of the 911.  The deeper slant to the windscreen was immediately apparent and added to the feeling that there was slightly less headroom (although this may have been an illusion).  In fact, while some have commented on the feeling of more space in the interior, I did not get that sense.  I did not like the electronic handbrake and would have struggled to find it without the dealer's assistance (it's hidden below and beyond the key).  Also, while some have commented on the more solid thunk when closing the door, I actually noted that the door felt a lot lighter (which is a good thing) and certainly didn't close with a more solid "thunk" than my 997.

On to the more important issue of driving impressions.  In Sport (or Sport Plus) mode, this car accelerates like a bat out of hell - one can actually feel the power and torque climbing in the upper rev ranges, i.e. beyond 5,500 rpm (which is something I think RC has previously commented on).  The sensation of rapid acceleration is accentuated by the absolutely glorious sound of the Sport Exhaust!  PSE in the 991 is an absolute pleasure (much more impressive than on my GTS) - it is raspy and throaty, and burbles and pops on the overrun.  In fact, it's worth changing down just to listen to the soundtrack.  Frankly, I don't care if this is "piped" into the car or not - I've heard it from the outside and the inside, and in both cases it's a pleasure.  So much for the positives.

My first impression of the suspension was that it felt surprisingly "soft" and seemed to filter out all the imperfections of the road surface - in line with Porsche's claim to this effect, I guess.  Bear in mind that I drove on fairly smooth surfaces, so I'm not sure how my view would have been affected on a more "interesting" surface.  This sensation was accentuated by the steering, which felt (dare I say it) somewhat "dead" - I missed the little tugs on the steering wheel with which a 911 usually communicates feedback from the road surface.  By contrast, the 991 just felt incredibly stable in a straight line, with a surprising degree of play around the centre line (as opposed to the 997, which reacts immediately and directly to any small steering input).  Again, bear in mind that this was on a smooth surface.  Finally, the brake pedal seemed to have a surprising amount of play before "biting" - which could perhaps have been a feature of this specific car, rather than of the 991 in general.

Bearing in mind that one ideally needs to spend a few days, rather than a few minutes, to properly evaluate a car, how would I sum up my initial, tentative impressions?  Porsche has clearly endeavoured to make the new 911 more luxurious, more accessible and easier to drive - and I think they've succeeded in this regard.  This car will be a huge success.  There is nothing wrong with the power delivery and the sport exhaust is just fantastic!  As someone who prefers his sports-car driving experience to be a little more on the raw side, however, I think that many 911 enthusiasts will be a little disappointed with the apparent loss of direct feeling and feedback from the steering and the suspension.  Driving the 991 left me feeling just a little more disconnected from the experience than in eiter the 997.1 or .2.  This is probably the key issue - someone asked the question here a little while ago: what is more important to you in a car, pure speed or the driving experience.  For those who prioritise pure speed, buying the 991 will be the obvious choice.  Those who love the 911 precisely because of its unique driving characteristics, however, may not be equally impressed.

From a purely personal perspective, I will certainly not be rushing out to replace my GTS with a 991 any time soon - but I will keep a very close watch on what Porsche does with the next GT3.

All so true and I feel exactly the same, still ordering the 991 though, actually did yesterday :-)
    but I still wish they did not fiddle with the steering and even the sound experience in the car, as great as the engine sounds, there is just nothing else anymore, gone the wind, the road noise which normally would be great but yet, just feels a bit less real and alive. in the test car I only drove with the roof slightly open, just to hear more. And maybe thats why you need the sunroof afterall :-)

Thanks for your review!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

thanks for the review PureBlue!

intersting how the perceptions somehow differ as we drive the car in different places and moments around the world! this is realy cool about Rennteam...Smiley

the conditions under which i drove the car for approx 1.5 hours where the exact opposite ( tight B road on the mountains partly damp).

in the first 20 minutes i had the same mini panamera impression (more luxurious and less raw than a gts) but after a while i got into the rythm, gained speed and started to feel the car much more. to me it did not seem to give less feedback than the gts at all. one might perceive that cause the car is just more stable than the 997 so  yes, it might feel less raw , but in reality it is just substantially better in its handling imo.  And therefore inspires more confidence (mainly at the front end), at least to me. I also felt very at ease with the steering, but i didnt swap directly from one car to another. Anyway, one can formally feel how amazingly this car will perform with a gt3 or turbo engine on board! Smiley

Seriouly, this impressed me as much as when i drove the gt-r for the first time some years ago. both have great chassis but only one is a Porsche..Smiley

--

turbolite

Turbolite, thanks for the alternative impression.  It is certainly possible that I could come to a different conclusion under different conditions and with more seat time - which is why I was quite tentative in framing my conclusions.

turbolite:

after a while i got into the rythm, gained speed and started to feel the car much more. to me it did not seem to give less feedback than the gts at all. one might perceive that cause the car is just more stable than the 997 so  yes, it might feel less raw , but in reality it is just substantially better in its handling imo.  

Couldn't have said it better myself. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Finally found time to read the whole thread - some really insightful reviews from RC, KresoF1 and PureBlue - thanks guys for sharing your driving impressions kiss

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

turbolite:

Seriously, this impressed me as much as when i drove the gt-r for the first time some years ago. both have great chassis but only one is a Porsche..Smiley

Your comment reminds me that I have wondered just how much impact the GT-R has had on the 991 development.  I know there are wildly contrasting views of Nissan's beast out there (and on RT) but it seems to me that Porsche's 991 team were very aware of the pros and cons of the Nissan design, including how it drives (adjusting of course for the AWD) and how easily testers felt comfortable probing its limits - the GT-R has a combination of easy-to-drive and raw, at the same time.   Chris Harris even mentions in the Evo test that the PDK now feels much more like the GT-R   dual clutch box, which he meant as a compliment.   So I am not surprised that the new 991 now has some of the elements that characterize the GT-R, and that these elements result in a much faster 911.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

I really doubt, and I say this with absolute confidence, that the Nissan GT-R had anything to do with 991 Carrera development.

It is however also a fact that Porsche looked at the GT-R closely, just to make sure that the 991 Turbo will be amazing. indecision Don't expect huge straight line improvements or power increases but the next gen Turbo will have a huge improvement in Nordschleife track time. Surprise, surprise... indecision

--

I see it the same way. The GT-R uses complex AWD system with very intrusive electronic control and extra undeclared HP on an otherwise front engined nose heavy big car to achieve its performance. Porsche while also using electronics (as do other makers as well like Ferrari, Lambo, etc) uses them in another way, unobtrusively helping the dinamics, decreasing weight, decreasing understeer, etc. via PASM, PDCC, PTV, dinamic engine mounts, electronic steering, etc. very different philosophies on how to use electronics to achieve the same objective. Its like comparing the PSM on the 911 with the ESP on other vehicles, both are electronic stability systems but very different behaviour in practice from the driver's point of view. Its just the natural progress that we have been seeing for years now, they get easier and easier to extract their potential with each generation and faster and more efficient at it.

--

RC:

Don't expect huge straight line improvements or power increases but the next gen Turbo will have a huge improvement in Nordschleife track time. Surprise, surprise... indecision

Great!  Have you also heard any such rumors about the 991 GT3 (RS)??  Appreciate any thoughts about equipment or performance...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

RC:

I really doubt, and I say this with absolute confidence, that the Nissan GT-R had anything to do with 991 Carrera development.

It is however also a fact that Porsche looked at the GT-R closely, just to make sure that the 991 Turbo will be amazing. indecision Don't expect huge straight line improvements or power increases but the next gen Turbo will have a huge improvement in Nordschleife track time. Surprise, surprise... indecision

You are perfectly right RC.

But i am thankful to Nissan for the Gtr as they pushed the envelope and showed what could be done - and that at a bargain price. It doesnt happen often in history that Porsche plays catch up ,but that is what we are witnessing now.

The relatively weak Nurburgring times of the 997.2 turbo (compared to the 991 and Gtr) clearly show that the potential of the 997 has teached its peak. That's why only a new chassis (with longer wheelbase and wider front) could do the trick. And very much to Nissans' credit Porsche took a page from their book... 

--

turbolite

Agreed. The more competitors there are, the better it is for us. It puts manufacturers under greater pressure to improve the product without this being reflected in price .... i.e. getting more performance for one's money. So, as a Porsche fan, I'm grateful to the GT-R for that!

--

997.1 C2S

I think people who feel that the GT-R is all about electronics are perhaps those that haven't driven them. I've owned 964/993/996/997 Porsches, mainly RS or GT2s as well as R32,33,34,35 GT-Rs.

The GT-R performed amazingly well for two reasons, the chassis and the gearbox. It bought a proper twin-clutch to the supercar market well before Porsche and the acceleration benefited in a way that Porsche only caught up recently. The GT-R engine is actually not that powerful stock and it feels slow above 100mph. The GT-R chassis is truly incredible I bought one of the first '09 versions and then Nissan sold it  for half the price of a 911 Turbo, yet it had bigger wheels, brakes, twin-clutch etc, as well as xenons/leather etc and not a single option available!

The best car to compare it to would be my 630PS Ruf Nardo-engined 996 GT2. At the ring the GT2 was frankly terrifying and on the edge of killing you every lap, in the wet it was truly a 'walk-with-the-devil'. The GT-R, although less accelerative, was utterly stable and composed and faster overall. It's weakness on track is that unlike the GT2 it is far too heavy and therefore quickly overheats the brakes/tyres/oils.

The GT-Rs electronics are not at all intrusive if the car is driven fluidly and can be fully switched off (unlike a 911 Turbo). I love that the 911 has embraced this technology but find it amusing that someone (Carlos) can say that the 991 has less electronics or is purer,  when it has has far more electronics than a GTR (PTV, PDCC, dynamic engine mounts and electronic steering have no equivalent on the GT-R).

I'm not saying the GTR is better, thats a childish debate for other forums, but I have found that much GT-R discussion is filled by opinions from people who have no real experience of the car. It's like reviewing a film you've never seen!

Guy: I love that the 911 has embraced this technology but find it amusing that someone (Carlos) can say that the 991 has less electronics or is purer,  when it has has far more electronics than a GTR (PTV, PDCC, dynamic engine mounts and electronic steering have no equivalent on the GT-R).

Re-read what I wrote again, you obviously didn't get it the first time around.

Re chassis vs electronics on the GT-R, a chassis in a 1800kg+ front engined foward weight bias sportcar is not the key to its performance , the complex AWD and intrusive electronics that has been mentioned in every single review of the GT-R is, and what makes the GT-R different than the Euroipean and American competition.

Re tranny, sure GT-R may have gotten the proper performance out of a dual-clutch before Porsche but then again Porsche would not have brought it out on its cars so soon if the tranny tended to blow up with a few LC launches without VDC (voiding warranty), or made you go back to boxes in limp-mode after a couple of laps around a track from overheating 1324739147488rolleyes.gif

Re GT-R not being so powerfull stock, guess you haven't heard of the "GT-R policy" regarding HP figures or maybe MIzuno also has no real experience with the GT-R either...  http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20293170/Truth_about_Nissan_GTRs_Power_output/page1.html

Its not about which is better, that will depend on what the owner is looking for, the point that is being made is that the GT-R and the new 991 have nothing in common in their use of electronics or philosophy.

--

Carlos - have you actually driven or owned a GTR?

No, but we are not discussing ethereal subjective driving impressions here but rather about comparing specs, hardware, engineering solutions, physics, etc. No one said the 991 has less electronics than the GT-R, just that the way Nissan and Porsche went about designing their cars and applying modern electronic systems to them are very different, and they have to be, since the Nissan GT-R and the Porsche 991CarreraS are completely worlds apart in chassis configuration and concept. Just like Audi applies AWD very differently than BMW, or McLaren applies electronics in the suspensions very differently than Ferrari.

Have you driven a 991?

--

Guy:

Carlos - have you actually driven or owned a GTR?

Maybe Carlos meant that the GT-R is just "another" japanese sports car people will forget in 5 or 10 years ? Smiley

Nissan sells a high performance car for half the money of the cost of the 997 Turbo S but Porsche still seems to sell more 911 Turbo than Nissan sells GT-R in the major markets. What does this tell you ?

The GT-R is a nice piece of technology and it may be fast but the design, you can't look at it anymore in 5 years and the whole car itself doesn't really inspire anything. It is just like a japanese camera: You buy a new one every year but a Leica for example is usually a keeper for a couple of years.

Or like a 997 GT3 RS driver I met, who owned one (and sold it after only 8 months), told me: This car has no soul.

Nothing more to add...

--

turbolite:
    RC:

You are perfectly right RC.

But i am thankful to Nissan for the Gtr as they pushed the envelope and showed what could be done - and that at a bargain price. It doesnt happen often in history that Porsche plays catch up ,but that is what we are witnessing now.

The relatively weak Nurburgring times of the 997.2 turbo (compared to the 991 and Gtr) clearly show that the potential of the 997 has teached its peak. That's why only a new chassis (with longer wheelbase and wider front) could do the trick. And very much to Nissans' credit Porsche took a page from their book... 

Hi turbolite,

I completely disagree what you say about the 997 being an too old chassis and so on..I cant hear this anymore. The 997 GT2RS has been tested by Sport Auto at 7:24 - the Mclaren at 7:27 and the 997 GT3RS 4.0 at 7:30 - These are facts - Period - this much too your words the 997 "chassis and so on..".

True is that the 997 turbo is a relatively weak performer in the ring...but mainly due to its weight..and by the way 7:44 for the turbo S is not really bad either. Compared to the Nissan however not enough .- agree - but the question is which Porsche to choose..a turbo, or a GT3, or an RS?

Yes, the Nissan is fast for its money, but may I remind you of a few tings:

1. Use the Nissan ever on Racetrack  (this is controlled by Nissan through GPS) = warranty gone

2. switch of Electronic stability = warranty also gone

3. 1L gearbox oil - that heats up after 2-3 laps = 150€/l

Just look a bit whats written in Nissan forums...yes around one NBR lap the Nissan is faster..but I heard voices that it cant sustain 3 laps without geaebox overheating..apparently Sport Auto also critised that..

So, not everthing that shines is "gold"..

take care,

RC:

Hi RC,

Now you spurred my interest..Smiley..what do you consider as huge improvement on NBR times? Gaining from 8:00 to 7:50 10 seconds is much easier than gaining from 7:40 to 7:30 10 seconds...

What Im trying to say, anything that is 7:40 or below is already very quick, getting close to 7:30 is another level..and breaking the 7:30 barrier is very very difficult..(only 3 cars have done that yet)

Of course Porsche will say certain things..but we just had the discussion here with the Nissan, so only independently verifiied values/times count (at least for me)..and I doubt that the 991 turbo will go below 7:33..because then it will be in Mclaren territory.

Anyhow, the future for current 997 GT or 991 (tubo, GTetc) owners doesnt look so bad..

take careSmiley

Have you driven a 991?

No, my dealer launch was only last week, so I haven't scheduled a drive yet. I'll buy one at some point since I've bought every iteration of both GT-R and 911 since 1989 and I'm a massive Porsche lover.

I'm not trying to persuade you to like the GT-R, but your comments on electronics are simply wrong. There's a myth that is perpetuated about how the car 'drives itself', it does not, but it needs more than simply reading a magazine to know that. The lack of reliability is also a myth, I know plenty of people who own GTRs and none have had any major failures.

Compare that to many of them who have had engine problems with RMS/IMS in Porsches. My own 996GT2 had a complete gearbox changed under warranty by Porsche at 18 months, so I just smile a little when people talk about Porsche reliability and GT-R failures.

I'm not blind to it's weaknesses though, they are too heavy and do not have adequate gearbox cooling for track use, I could only do 2 laps of the Nordshleife in my GTR before resting it as the gearbox oil reached 130c, whereas my GT2 would drive until I was exhausted!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806545 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449515 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267042 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90446 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7204 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887301 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836121 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM