Crown

Forum - Thread

ROAD-TEST: New 991 CarreraS

NEW PORSCHE 911 CARRERA S (991)

IN DEPTH – ROAD TEST

header-finished.jpg

After a weekend with the 991 CarreraS, I will try to give my personal impressions of the latest generation of 911, I will do it from the point of view of the previous generation 997 from which we come from, and also describing of all the new features and modifications. These are just my own subjective impressions and opinions as just a Porsche owner with 250,000 fun kilometers on 996 and 997.

First I’d like to thank the Centro Porsche Vigo for arranging a test drive so quickly and as always their collaboration and help, as well as taking care of all my Porsche needs.

FROM THE EXTERIOR

The first thing that calls your attention is that the proportions have changed more vs. the 997 than with the 997-996 transition. It gives the impression that it’s lower and wider, with the wheel arches more accentuated, giving it a more aggressive presence. In reality it’s not overall wider, but the front is wider than before. It also adds to this impression the fact that the windshield is more inclined and curved, and the roof line is lower and less rounded at the top. In general it gave me a better first impression than the 997 back in 2004.

laguardia-rear-top.jpg

baiona-side.jpg

The front end is maybe what has changed the least visually with respect to the 997, and there is little margin for change since the main identifying aspect, the headlights are still fortunately oval. But in the 991 the oval is stretched more which makes it look a bit sportier and more modern, although I really think only people like us will actually notice details like that, most people would have a hard time differentiating them from the front if they are not side by side.

baiona-front.jpg

In the rear however, the new lights is what jumps out more, more aggressive and modern in my opinion, and they make a very nice effect when lit by the contour highlighted by a led line all around the edge. However there is a bit too much lettering on the rear, more than one line is too crowded and tacky in my opinion. You can factory delete the “911 Carerra” or just the “Carrera” bit but not the “Porsche”.

baiona-rear.jpg

The rear spoiler of the 996-997 while being a functional element in the aerodynamics, it was never actually aesthetically pleasant when it was up. In the 991 it is completely redesigned and it’s not only even more functional (with its greater surface area and variable lift angle depending on the needs) reducing the buoyancy more than in the 997, but it is better looking now as well, it’s more elegant and the rear’s lines flow better when deployed. The spoiler can now open to different angles, for example when the sun roof is open the spoiler lifts up further to compensate, and it also happens when you opt for the -20mm sport suspension. And you activate the Sport Plus button or the Launch Control, the spoiler will lift yet even more.

spoiler.jpg

In the 996-997 you could not really see much of the engine like you could with the more classic 911’s, but in the 991 the engine bay is covered by a  plastic shelf with a couple of fans and the caps for the oil and coolant, that’s it. I don’t know why they decided to go burka on it but I don’t think it’s a good solution; this is a sportscar, not an AUDI A2. To access the engine now you have to remove the bumper.

engine-lid.jpg

The front of the 991 is now wider as a consequence of the wider track of the front axle, and if in the 997 the rear wheels protruded outward a bit more than the front, now they are practically in line if you look at the car from the front. One of the more obvious differentiating elements of the 991 is that the side mirrors are now on the doors, and while they seem pretty big in size this is more thanks to our EU legislators that have nothing better to do. Even so the more I look at them the more I like them on the doors than on the windshield pillar, they seem more natural there in the 911.

chain-front-side_low.jpg

You have two optional aerodynamic kits in the 991 Carrera, the SportDesign Kit which adds a lower and sportier front bumper and a fixed ducktail spoiler on the rear instead of the standard one. And the Aerokit Cup with further adds a lower lip in the front and a rear wing on top of the ducktail, which in my opinion looks to over the top and to exaggerated for a Carrera.

INSIDE THE 991

The first impression you get when you get inside is that if feels roomier then the 996-997, in my opinion this effect is due to the windshield now meeting the dash further forward due to its greater curvature, the dash itself seems more forward, and the new roof that now opens to the outside increases the headroom as well. One of the consequences of the longer wheelbase is that there is 25mm more travel for the front seats.

interior_01.jpg

The new sunroof design by opening to the outside also increases the opening by 30% compared to the 997 and can remain open up to 200km/h, although at speed above 80km/h it starts to get windy and noisy progressively. It looks awkward from the outside when opened, it’s like if they asked an orthopedist to design a sunroof for them. I much prefer the earlier solution even if there is less of an opening, I think that having it open to the outside was a wrong decision.

The second immediate impression is the quality and elegance of the interior, I never had much to object from the 997’s interior (not so with the 996’s) but the 991 takes it to one class higher. Even the doors make a sturdier “thunk” when it closes. Maybe there is a bit too much use of shiny chrome in the interior (rings, buttons, etc.) that while they give it a luxurious touch, it detracts a bit of sportiness overall. I guess you have to play closer attention to the configuration options of the interior in the 991 to influence that aspect to your liking.

interior_03.jpg

The driving position is perfect as usual, perfect combination between confront and sport-driving position, the new sport seats are very comfortable with great lateral support, even better than the sport seats in the 997, and although very similar to the 991 sport seats in design, the one in the 991 allow for more adjustments.

interior_02.jpg

The ascending center console is a welcomed change because the shift knob is closer to the steering wheel ala CarreraGT, not that it matters much in the PDK though. Speaking of the PDK stick, I would have thought they have redesigned it by now in the 991 for something more in line with its function, after all its just a selector lever that is mainly used while stopped and not during driving (for gear shifts during driving you have the buttons or paddles on the wheel) and not an actual shift knob. It doesn’t need to be this big and the console would look cleaner and more free with something more functional and smaller, it is nice quality and well finished, but something like that belongs more on a large luxury saloon than a sportscar in my opinion.

PDK-stick.jpg

Some people are overwhelmed by so many buttons along the console but I love it from an ergonomic point of view since while concentrated in driving, every function is easily and quickly accessed at the reach of a finger without having to distract your attention by having to dive into menus and submenus via joystick and wheels… “Form follows function”.

console-buttons.jpg

I remember the 997 also caused that same discussion with the all buttons around the PCM, but each generation has more functions and therefore needs more buttons. Grouping all those functions and buttons around a joystick or similar gadget may make the console cleaner, but this is a sportscar not a limo and the functionality while driving is more important that aesthetical considerations, there is a reason why race cars have everything layout out on the dash with buttons and switches. The buttons in the consoles are grouped together in families and the quality creates a very good visual solution in my opinion, and the console itself is more robust and solid than the 997 which feels cheaper.

center-console.jpg

And it’s those materials and finish that has taken another step forward in the 991, the interior design now adopts the general interior concept that Porsche is adopting in all its models like the Panamera and second generation Cayenne, and may give us an initial vibe of a more luxo-saloon through association with the Panamera especially, with all the chrome, wider inner door trimmings, more voluminous center console, etc.

door-buttons.jpg

The instrument panel does not change much in design of the spheres, with the RPM sphere (silver color in the case of the CarreraS) right in the middle as should be in a sportscar, but it does change in the distribution of content.

instrumentos.jpg

The sphere immediately right to the center is now a TFT display that can now show many different things like OBC, navigation, RDK, phone, etc. even a G-Force display if we have the Sport Chrono Pack.

tft-sphere.jpg

The climate control, is now two-zone and more powerful than in the 997, not that I ever needed to use the max setting much but I guess that depends on your climate. The PCM screen is now 7” with greater resolution. The seats can now be ordered fully electrically adjustable. In the 997 there were some settings which were still manual even in the electric seat options. The seats in this test car are the Sport Seats, and there is an Adaptable Seats options with even more things that can be adjusted. You can even have ventilated seats options which this test car also had. I prefer the sport seats and don’t care much about electrical adjustments, but all the options are there in the 991 should you want them.

seat-buttons.jpg

cuero.jpg

The rear seats are similar than in the 997, maybe more foot room but the problem is still the low roof make it impossible for an adult to sit up straight in the back, and measuring the vertical from the seat to where the head meets the roof, the 991 seems to be 1cm lower in that aspect than the 997. The trunk is the same as in the 997, 135L.

rear-seats.jpg

maletero.jpg

One of the new changes that I don’t like in the 991 at all is that there is no more hand brake, in the 991 it has been substituted by an emergency electrical brake, something that belongs more on a saloon or a SUV but not on a sportscar, more so if you prefer manual gearboxes in your 911.

NEW ELECTRO-MECHANICAL STEERING

For the first time they do away with the traditional hydraulic assisted steering and use an electronically powered assistance. The main advantages are that since it doesn’t need the hydraulic pump and lines down the car, its lighter and unlike the hydraulic system that is always working and using energy, this one only needs to work when you turn the wheel, helping save fuel.

The problem is that until now the electronically assisted steerings in the market resulted in artificial and numb steerings.  So this is perhaps one of the changes that had me most worried about how it turned out in the 991 because the steering is one of my favorite things about the 911. But Porsche says that this system, which took them three years to develop to their liking and in conjunction with ZF, is unlike any other electronic steering found in any other car, and it has to be, because Porsche knows that they have a lot hanging on this.

torrona-side-rear.jpg

In theory, this system allows for filtering of those frequencies that are considered “noise”, and on the other hand favors those frequencies that actually give information about the handling that the driver needs.

That’s the theory, in practice that means that while going straight, the irregularities of the road are more filtered than in the 997, making the steering less nervous and more comfortable and feeling more stable in normal driving. But on the other hand it also gives you the feeling that it’s giving you less feedback than we are used to in the 997 a bit less alive.

But don’t get the impression it’s the steering you’d see on something that came out the assembly in Detroit in the 80’s. When you start turning the wheel and making changes of direction, the steering feels connected and direct, and allows you to place the car were ever you want it with precision, even more so than in the 997, thanks to its chassis and suspensions as well. The car is very agile in changes of direction and it’s not a light steering, though in harder weight transfers it doesn’t get as heavy as my 997S-20mm’s. It’s less nervous and you may feel the road’s vibrations less but it’s just as efficient, it’s just different. I guess a lot has to do with being used to the 997S-20mm’s steering, which is much better than the 997 with regular PASM, so my comments are coming from that perspective. And for someone who is new to the 991 will probably not even notice that’s electromechanical.

At higher speeds like highway I would actually say that the new steering is better than the 997S, you are able to control the car better while having great feedback and precision. And in city driving it is also better because it’s more comfortable (this car had the Steering Plus extra). It is in spirited mountain roads type driving for example where I think if I had to choose I would pick the 997S-20mm, but probably not if it’s the 997S-PASM’s or 997TT’s, and only because the 997S-20mm’s steering may feel a bit more alive and heavier, but not because it’s more effective from what I could tell from my test drive.

laguardia-rear-side.jpg

So the new system gives a steering that is more bipolar than before, which seems to be the common theme with this car. And at the end of the day, the 991 is dynamically superior to the 997 and the steering does not hinder that at all, nor is it intrusive or artificial. I can see a lot of potential for this new steering, I can see it being tuned for the GT3 to make it an even more effective tool, and on the 991 Turbo it will fit like a glove, allowing ordinary drivers in ordinary streets to extract even more potential from that engine, the 991TT will be an absolute autobahn monster.

The test car had the “Electric Steering PLUS” option which is similar to the Servotronic of the Cayenne and Panamera models. At high speed it stiffens the steering to increase steering control, and at low speed it softens the steering to allow for easier maneuvers like parking. It’s true that you feel that in parking maneuvers the steering is more comfortable and light, and at speed it stiffens up but I don’t have a 991 without the extra to be able to tell the difference without it.

NEW CHASSIS

The chassis in the 991 is all new and brings important new changes. The most important one is the increase of 10mm in wheelbase. As a consequence the engine while still behind the rear axle, it’s now a bit less, the interior cabin grows slightly and the overall length increases only by 56mm, since the overhangs are shorter than in the 997, 32mm less in the front and 12mm in the rear. The overall width is the same as in the 997, and the roof is 6mm lower.

baiona-front-side.jpg

The new chassis makes more use of aluminum and its 80kg lighter than the 997’s. It’s nice to see that instead of getting more and more overweight as is the trend now with sportscars, the new chassis contributes to actually reducing overall weight of the car, by 35-45kg depending on the model and if it has PDK or not. The new chassis is also stiffer and both axles have been redesigned as well in the 991.

Another important change is that the front track has increased, something with which they have been experimenting with great success in the 997GT2RS and the 997GT3RS 4.0L. Specifically 46mm in the base Carrera and 52mm in the CarreraS, with the objective of decreasing understeer, along with the PTV system. In practice, the understeer has been greatly reduced in those situations that tend to provoke it in the 997. For example, if you entered a roundabout carrying speed, the front end will hold much more than in the 997, and its grip is higher. The rear end however will come out to play just like the 997 under throttle, that did not disappear, it’s just that the limit of grip is higher than in the 997.

The car also clearly gives the sensation of being more stable at speed, very noticeably, but I don’t know how much is due to the new steering feedback or the new longer chassis; the car’s balance does not get affected so much by expansion joints and irregularities in the surface and the front end is more stable and less nervous.

In general it’s not only more stable and has more grip than the 997, more notable is that it’s easier to drive at the limit, and that limit is higher than before. There will be things that some may not like here and there, but all that is forgotten as soon as you engage the 991 in spirited driving and see how it’s able to cope and with such ease.

When I had the 996-10mm/M030 I asked myself how were they going to improve it and then I was surprised by the 997. Now after many miles with the 997, the same thing happened with the 991. I haven’t had a chance to really test it at a track but the jump in handling is significant, more so than the 997 over the 996. If I had to choose something with which the 991 distinguishes from its predecessors, is its handling and performance.

PASM IN THE 991

The PASM has been modified with more sensors for better regulation of damping stiffness. Most of my experience with the 997 is with the -20mm sport suspensions so I don’t have as much reference with the normal PASM, but the PASM in “normal” mode in the 991 was amazingly compliant, more than the 997 in its “normal” mode.

chain-side-north.jpg

I went to roads that I knew very well and was surprised how it sucked up all the pot holes, expansion joints, irregularities etc. without the compromise of the suspensions feeling soft in the bends. And I hate soft suspensions, I always choose the sportiest option in my cars. So you can tell they are more efficient in the 991 as they are able to deliver better handling and a better ride at the same time. It’s unbelievable how compliant the ride is in “normal” mode for such a sportscar, and this is with 20” wheels on top of it.

With PASM in “sport” mode, the suspensions stiffen up a bit but they are still clearly not as stiff as the -20mm in my 997S. Most of the time I had the 991, I preferred to have it in “sport” mode myself.

The 991 also has the option of the sportier PASM -20mm suspensions (normal PASM is -10mm with respect to the standard suspensions of the base Carrera) analogous to the -20mm option of the 997. But in the 991 there are also some aerodynamic changes as well with the -20mm. The inferior lip of the front bumper is lower and the rear spoiler lifts higher than with the normal PASM, to reduce the buoyancy ever further, and also for the first time in a Carrera actually creates positive downforce in the rear at higher speeds.

PTV AND PTV PLUS

Standard in the CarreraS, the Porsche Torque Vectoring is a system that uses different sensors of speed, steering angle, throttle, etc. and modulates the brake of the inner rear wheel while in a curve to help it turn with more agility. It works in conjunction a rear differential, which in the case of the manual gearbox it’s mechanical, and in the case of the PDK gearbox its electronically controlled, hence the name PTV “Plus” in the PDK.

laguardia-rear.jpg

Since it’s electronically controlled, it can vary the lock completely and in emergency braking situations for example can disengage the lock and allow the ABD to work fully independently on each rear wheel. Even if you deactivate the PSM, the PTV always remains active.

THE NEW ACTIVE ROLL STABILISATION

For the first time in a 911, the 991 offers active antiroll bars to reduce body roll, the Porsche Dinamic Chassis Control, that is already present in the Panamera and Cayenne. However they system used in the 911 is not the same as in these, they were able to develop a lighter and more compact system that would fit in the 991 and be more appropriate for its intended use.

Besides reducing body roll, it should also make the steering more direct and quicker in changes of direction, but having not been able to test a PDCC fitted car I could not compare and evaluate its effect. I have though in the Panamera and Cayenne and if they are any indication of the positive effect on handling, it should be a welcomed feature in the 991, but what I don’t know is by how much yet.

PDK TRANSMISSION

Porsche knows that the PDK gearbox is now the most popular choice in the 991, at least 80% of the orders are PDK in the 997 nowadays, when it used to be the manual, so it’s now has the lead role. In fact, the manual gearbox on the 996 was a Getrag, in the 997 was a Daisin with shorter and more precise throws, and in the 991 the manual box has been borrowed from the PDK gearbox itself.

In the case of the manual, it’s the first one in a production car with 7 gears, the 7th gear being accessed only from 5th or 6th and it’s designed as an overdrive to save fuel on journeys. As an interesting note, Carreras with the manual gearbox now have an indicator in the center RPM sphere of the instrument panel which displays with gear you have engaged, just like PDK cars.

rev-sphere.jpg

The car tested had the PDK transmission. I’m not going to go into details of how the double clutch sequential works since we all know that already from the 997 MK-II. Before going into the PDK, I have to first say that my personal preference in a car like the 911 is the manual gearbox, because while the PDK is faster, more efficient in putting the power to the road, easier to operate with perfect shifts every time, and not only doesn’t lose any performance but increases it, even so, part of the experience of driving a sportscar for me is being able to manually intervene in the shifts and the interaction with clutch, stick, throttle, brakes, etc. Removing that part out of the equation may have its advantages but ultimately removes part of the interaction and fun for me. But that’s just my view. So each one needs to determine the pros and cons and see what weighs more in their case and use of the car, I’m just mentioning it so you can put my comments on PDK in perspective.

The PDK, in contrast to the Tiptronic has made that manual vs. automatic decision very easy now for a lot of people because hydraulic torque converted based Tiptronic like the one you would find on a Mercedes sedan was slow, had only 5 gears, was very heavy, and the feel of the throttle was like a rubber band and indirect. With the PDK that is all over.

You do not only lose performance to the manual gearbox, it also offers the typical advantages of automatic transmissions like the ease of use and comfort in relaxed cruising or city driving. Even being a manual gearbox guy, the PDK is so good that it makes me even consider the possibility of a PDK, but there is always the doubt that at the end of the day I would miss the manual shifting enough that I may regret it after a while. For city and relaxed highway driving, the PDK is better, but for all ranges of spirited driving there is no doubts the manual is more fun and involving. So it would be kind of like a leap of faith for me, but for others ticking the PDK box is a simple decision to make.

I didn’t notice a lot of difference with the PDK in the 997 MK-II, but I also don’t have everyday experience with the MK-II’s PDK to comment too much on the differences. What I know is that the transmission is so efficient that it makes the engine feel like it has more horsepower than it actually has, and with the Sport Plus activated, the PDK transforms completely. It’s much sportier and aggressive; it’s like having two different transmissions in one, for me the Sport Chrono Pack is an essential extra with the PDK. It’s is instantaneous in the upshifts, and in the downshift it matches the revs perfectly for the engaging gear. It’s flawless.

chain-front-side.jpg

Even though you can select the gears manually through the buttons (buttons that get on the way sometimes in the tighter corners with lots of fast wheel turning and lots of lock… I would have thought they would have made the paddles the standard equipment now that Wiedeking is gone), the “D” setting is so well worked out that I found myself leaving it always in “D” mode after a while, except for certain occasions where I would want to play with the gears for a little more involvement. In fact I would go as far as saying that I would be faster in a track in “D” mode than in “M” (manual).

A new feature in PDK cars it the coasting function. When you are cruising at constant speeds and you take your foot of the throttle, the PDK will disengages the gear leaving the engine running at idle, and therefore saving fuel by avoiding the engine braking reducing the inertia. Once you press the throttle or brake again, the PDK will engage the gear again. I thought that it was going to feel weird but it’s so seamingless that you don’t even noticed when it activates coasting if it weren’t for the RPM dial and the slightly less rolling resistance. Since you are already in 7th gear, when it goes in coasting mode, when you want to accelerate again, the PDK will engage 6th, 5th or even 4th if necessary according to the pressure on the throttle and it seems just like if you were on 7th gear and stepped on the gas.

Traditionally the automatic transmission version had slightly worse mileage than the manual version, but now in the 991 with PDK it’s the other way around. So much so that the base Carrera gives off less than 200gr/Km of CO2, not that I care if it weren’t for the fact that this makes it drop its registration tax bracket in Spain from 14,75% to 9,75% compared to the manual, that  makes the coming 991 Carrera PDK the same price as an outgoing 997 Carrera PDK now.

KIT SPORT CHRONO EN EL 991

The Sport Chrono Pack is now tied to more systems and features tan in the 997, and as I said before it’s a must have extra, and especially so if you have PDK, because the Sport Chrono basically allows you to have two very different behaviors and character and take maximum advantage the possibilities of the 911 in the different situations.

With the Sport Plus button activated, the throttle is more direct and quick responding, the PDK is quicker and more aggressive, the PSM threshold is increased so it becomes less intrusive, the Sound Symposer is activated, the Dinamic Engine Mounts are stiffened, the Start&Stop feature is deactivated along with the coasting feature, the PDCC is stiffened, the PTV is made sportier, and the rear spoiler lifts higher.

laguardia-side_01.jpg

It really gets sporty with Sport Plus activated, on a wet road stepping on the throttle on first gear it would violently accelerate and the tail would wiggle sideways a bit with each gear change until you passed 3rd gear, and with a noticeable kick in the back with each change. But when in normal mode, when doing the same thing, the car would lurch forward without any loss of traction and seemingly progressive. Again the 991 has two faces as with many other aspects (ride, steering, etc.)

The Sport Chrono also comes with the Launch Control feature which reduces in 0,2 the 0-100km/k acceleration.

THE 3.8L DFI BOXER

The engine in the CarreraS is the same one as in the 997-MKII, but with a bump in HP of 385 to an even 400. In the base Carrera however the 3.6L of the 997 is downsized to 3.4L and HP is practically the same, 345HP to 350HP with identical torque. A bit too timid HP change for a generational jump if you ask me.

ignition.jpg

The 400HP in combination with the efficiency of the PDK and the ability of the 991 to put them on the road makes the car seem like it has more power. The engine revs freely up to 7500 RPM now, and around 4000 RPM is where the engine comes much more alive.

engine.jpg

As to the mileage, I found that on spirited driving the mileage I would get from the 3.8L 400HP 991 was similar to the 3.8L 355HP 997S Mk-I, which is already an achievement given the difference in HP (the 997 had worse mileage than the 996 for example). But what took me by surprise is that in relaxed cruising, the 991 actually gave noticeable better mileage than the 997S, up to 20% better in mixed roads and up to 10% better in highway. I did not expect that.

THE SOUNDTRACK

With the change to the direct fuel injection in the 997 MK-II, part of the sportiness of the sound of the 996 and 997 MK-I was lost, especially below 5k RPM. And even more so if we compare the Sport Exhaust option in the two, which in the 997 MK-II is significantly more conservative than the one in the MK-I I have.

escapes.jpg

In the 991 they have used a conduit that communicates the engine with the cabin, Porsche calls it the Sound Symposer and it helps transmit more engine sound to the cabin without having to increase the exterior sound of the exhausts and comply with noise regulations. It’s activated only when you activate the Sport button and its effect is instantly noticeable as soon as you pass the first third of the RPM range and you step harder on the throttle. It sounds inside with the intensity or loudness of the of the sport exhaust on the 997, but very different sound. The Sound Symposer gives a sound more of engine and less of exhausts, a deeper growl without any metallic timber in it. It’s like is there is less insulation from the engine compartment but not as real though, as the sound spectrum is somewhat muffled and deep toned.

chain-rear.jpg

I haven’t had the opportunity yet to listen to the Sport Exhaust option in the 991, but it has been redesigned from scratch and has an extra connection now between the two mufflers that supposedly increases the aggressivety of the sound with respect to the 997 MK-II’s Sport Exhaust. So combined with the Sound Symposer, they should be interesting.

BRAKES

This CarreraS had the standard brakes, which in the CarreraS  have been improved with six piston calipers in the front instead of four, and the front disc have increased by 10mm. That said, the brakes on the 997 have never been a weak point anyway. They still have very good feel and resistance to fading compared to other brands compared to the 911. In the 991, the brakes do feel like they work with a bit less effort than in the 997S.

Optionally you can get the PCCBs in the 991 but personally I never found it to be worthwhile given their price and that the standard brakes already do such a great job and the improvement in unsprung weight of the PCCB’s is hard to quantify.

A new feature in the 991 is that in emergency braking or very strong braking above 70km/h, the rear lights will light up but intermittently instead to warn others behind.

laguardia-side-rear.jpg

As mentioned before, the 991 doesn’t have a hand brake anymore, it now uses an electronic emergency like the one you find on the Panamera or Cayenne. To avoid the car creeping backwards when on an uphill, it now features an Auto-Hold system that automatically detects when the car stops on an uphill and will apply the brakes on the car via PSM until you continue forward again. I found that the system worked very well and is not intrusive.

1323726441789e-brake.jpg

NEW SHOES

Just like the 996 jumped from a 17” wheel and optional 18” to an 18” wheel and 19” on the 997 Carrera and CarreraS respectively, the 991 comes with another inch jump in wheel diameter; 19” in the base Carrera and 20” in the CarreraS.  They don’t seem to worsen handling nor comfort since the 991 was design with these wheel sizes in mind unlike the 997, in fact, if you choose the optional -20mm Sport Suspensions in a base Carrera with 19” wheels, you are obligated to get the 20” wheels as well.

llanta.jpg

To reduce the weight of the wheels they used a new process called Flow-forming which reduces the weight, but what I don’t know is how they compare with 997 wheels.

I thought beforehand that visually the 20” wheels would look too exaggerated or out of proportion but that is not the case, they look good, sporty and proportioned. I guess that after a few years, the 997 wheels will start to look small. The brake calipers and discs however do not benefit from the larger wheels as they look smaller inside those wheels, especially the rear ones.

The car was fitted with Pirelli P-Zero tires of 295/30/20 rear and 245/35/20 front.

As in the 997, the Tire Pressure Monitoring System is a must have in the 991, with such low profile and stiff carcass tires you only notice you have lost pressure in one of them when it’s too late, even visually it’s hard to tell. And there is no spare tire in the 991, only the foam can, because where would you fit a 20” 295 rear tire in the 911 after you placed the spare? It won’t fit. And the TPMS is an option that you need to get from factory as you cannot retrofit it after delivery. Another thing I find useful in the RDK is that you can monitor the tire temperatures by looking at the tire pressures while driving.

baiona-side-rear_01.jpg

DINAMIC ENGINE MOUNTS

This extra in included in the Sport Chrono. It’s the first time it’s offered in a Carrera. Derived from the 997GT3, this system uses engine mounts that can be electronically modulated in stiffness monitored by sensors, so that the engine does roll so much in the hard cornering and weight transfers of spirited driving and therefore increasing stability and handling. But in normal driving, the engine mounts soften, thus discontenting the body from the vibrations of the engine increasing the comfort. If you activate the Sport or Sport Plus buttons, the system will pre-adjust the engine mounts accordingly. I have not tested a car without it so I cannot comment on how noticeable the effect is.

START AND STOP SYSTEM

Present as standard equipment not only in the PDK but also the manual, and for the first time in a 911. It’s something I cannot get used to. It’s OK to try to give an image of green, but in real life it’s really annoying to me, especially in city driving, which ironically it’s what it was intended for, in which you need to stop and start will agility and immediately. It’s not only a strange sensation that the engine stops right when you are sitting in front of a stop light waiting to take off any moment, but when you do want to move, there is a small delay while the engine turns on before it can accelerate, its small but very annoying in that moment.

Another annoying effect is that if you sometimes like to take off the seatbelt when you have to maneuver to park the car, and the engine switches off as you come to a stop and you take your seatbelt off, the engine will not come back on automatically, you have to put it in “P” and manually start the engine again, this is for safety reasons, but very annoying too in the scenario I mention. Fortunately there is a button in the console that kills it, the problem is that it comes back on again after you turn off and on the car again, but I suppose that could be disengaged permanently someway… it better.

baiona-side-rear_02.jpg

In the manual it works differently, it only turns off the engine when you engage neutral, and when you press the clutch again to engage a gear, it will turn on the engine again.

Even so, there are moments when the system is not active such as if you have the sport button activated, if the engine is still cold, if the engine is needed to maintain the AC, or if we are maneuvering to park or reverse gear for example.

imprenta.jpg

CONCLUSION

If the 997 came to be very well accepted and appreciated in all its variants, I’m sure that this 991 will be even more over time, since the jump the 991 makes over the 997 is greater than the jump the 997 gave over the 996 in its day. Logically it will have things that not everybody welcomes, and at the beginning there will be those for which it’s not the same anymore, its changed too much, and those that it hasn’t changed enough, that it seems to similar, etc. It happened with the 996 at the beginning, it happened with the 997, and will happen with the 991, but my overall impression after returning the keys and walking away from the 991, is that this latest version of the 911 is overall... simply the best 911 in history.

llaves.jpg

With this 991, Porsche has made sure once again that the 911 will be the benchmark for sportscars for the coming years, the sportscar that all others need to measure up against. So I can’t wait to see the different variants that will be born from this platform like the GT3, the TurboS, the GT2RS… the 991 is going to give a lot to talk about.

• Carlos
      RENNTEAM.COM

samil.jpg

--

Re: ROAD-TEST: New 991 CarreraS

Finally there it is, I wanted to be thourough tongue.gif Hope you guys like it! Smiley

BTW: If you click on the images you can see them in better quality since they are resized to fit in the thread.

--

wink

Thank you very much for a FANTASTIC review Carlos and for all your effort putting this together!! This is far, far, far better than any magazine and so informative regarding all options and so forth. You explained theh overal character of the car in a very informative way. Glad to hear that the steering get such positive feedback!

Regarding the Dynamic Engine Mounts - it's part of the Sport Chrono Package, so that option should be fitted in your test car kiss

Well done!

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

Carlos, so far the best review i`ve seen for the 991 S (press and personal reviews)!!! 

Thank you so much!!

wink

Thanks for the most comprehensive and useful real-life review of the 991 to date!  Smiley

Oh my gooooood!

Where to start? Ok, thank you! Muchissima gracias hombre!!!

EVO, Autocar, Pistonheads, etc, take notice, read Carlito's review and LEARN!

Fabulous write up, thank you so much for your time and effort!SmileySmileySmiley

Thanks you guys for the kind words!Smiley, I'm very happy you liked the review! Smiley

Lukas:

Regarding the Dynamic Engine Mounts - it's part of the Sport Chrono Package, so that option should be fitted in your test car kiss

Thanks for the tip Lukas!Smiley you are right! I will correct that. Thats probably yet another reason why the car was so stable at speed changing direction. If you take the 991S at highway speed and you start turning the steering left to right back and fourth, and you do the same thing with the 997S the difference is huge in the weight trasnfer back and fourth at that speed.

--

Futch:

Oh my gooooood!

Where to start? Ok, thank you! Muchissima gracias hombre!!!

EVO, Autocar, Pistonheads, etc, take notice, read Carlito's review and LEARN!

Fabulous write up, thank you so much for your time and effort!SmileySmileySmiley

Absolutamente !!SmileySmiley

Excellent review, definately the best we've read so far. RC what about yours ???Smiley

also, very nice photos !!..White is definately the colour. We have some weeks before our order is fully closed with no guture modifications, so far today we ordered in black colour, but these photos makes me wonder !!...

IMO those rims are not the best looking for the 991, but still it looks amazing !!Smiley

thanks again Carlos, really enjoyed it !!!SmileySmiley

--

Excellent review Carlos! Thanks a lot!
    --

There is no try. Just do.

Sol nicely presented and comprehensive, Carlos.  I am quite impressed with your talent, analysis and summaries.  What a fine effort for all of us--thank you!

Buenisimo, gracias! wink

Great review Carlos! kiss

That hand brake button looks pretty bogus thoughheart

Carlos, Thank you for a fantastic review.  Your effort in preparing this review  is greatly appreciated.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

Carlos - I remember your review of the 997.  I thought then that it was probably the best and most comprehensive we would ever get.. and it turned out to be just that!  I took much note of that review when I chose my cars of that genre.

To say you have surpassed that achievement with this review of the 991 would be an understatement...  

Thank you so very much for taking the considerable time and effort required to put this all together.  I'm sure everyone will benefit enormously from your labours - many congratulations..wink

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Excellent write-up Carlos 

Thanks for taking the time to post kiss

Thanks, Carlos!wink

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Carlos, thank you for your time to put such a nice review of the new 911 together. kiss

I enjoyed reading it all the way to the end. I think it provides a great perspective and confirms Porsche's new dynamic and innovative thought process despite some synergistic copy and paste elements which I have yet to warm up to.

Btw, the first photo is wicked!

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

Thanks! Excellent review.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

Wow Carlos! Simply the best.

Thanks.1323755044486respekt.gif

Thank you Carlos, very thorough and helpful review. The time you devoted is very appreciated kiss

If you came across rain during your time with the car please comment on your impressions of 991 vis a vis your 997.

--

"Form follows function"

Carlos: Great review, as usual. I see that you confirm the car is a great car, but different, different in its characteristic signature, as you say it performs better, more stable, easier to drive, more isolated... These differences do matter, at least they do for some drivers. 

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

Great review,thanks kiss

Great review, thank you for your time and effort! kiss

Carlos, excellent in-depth review.Smiley

I will drive new 991S this weekend in Austria. Only thing that I hope is decent weather.

Also, I am looking forward to members impressions/reviews about new 991 equiped with -20mm PASM or -20mm PASM/PDCC. AFAIK only few press 991S in Germany are equiped with these options.

What a great review Carlos SmileySmileySmiley

Seems you like the car Smiley

Enjoyed the read thoroughly! A great start to a day...

Gracias.

Very well done

Excellent! wink

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Thanks Carlos

excellent review!!!it seems to drive it...indecision

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

So you didn't like it smiley

Thanks for the review

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690790 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410050 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256146 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235371 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65734 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858712 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775011 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM