Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

458 vs Turbo S

I was gonna use my RS 4.0 for this test this weekend, but the weather was quite bad on the way there and my Cup tyres are pretty badly worn, so I decided to take my Turbo S instead and I think it was the better choice, clearly for road driving but also to compare it to the 458.

This was my first drive of a 458, finally! And it tuns out it is more Turbo S than 4.0, so we got lucky!

In a few words, I loved it! The steering is much better than the very poor 430 Scuderia, the power is amazing, the noise is great, although a bit too noisy at high speed motorway cruising, with the valve opened, the noise is unbearable. 

Looks are suggestive, I love the rear and the profile, the front is ugly with its japanese style and its silly moustaches (I think black and dark grey like this one are the best colors bc they hide the front details) and even worse, I realised the Ferrari sign is a cheap piece of plastic, disappointing.

The gearbox is fabulous, like the California in normal driving but more aggressive in race mode. The good surprise here was the Turbo S actually, I never drove the car before in manual mode in Sport Plus and the gear changes are just as good, driving both cars back to back.

Character are different obviously. The F car is more in "in your face" whereas the Turbo is more discreet but don't be fooled, what it lacks in high rev power it makes up with really ridiculous amounts of torque. 

The Ferrari feels quicker thanks to its noise and snappy gearbox in race mode but the Turbo S is more efficient, I'm sure it's quicker in numbers.

Surprisingly, the Turbo is stiffer in suspension in both modes, and yet more comfortable thanks to its adaptative sports seats.

I thought the 458 bucket seats were great but set too high, and I'm only 6ft! I can only imagine how bad it must be with the standard seats. The interior is great, very futuristic and high tech, I love it. The switches on the steering wheel are pointless but easy to adapt to.

In terms of handling, I'd say there's on par, I expected to 458 to feel nimbler but it actually feels just as heavy as the Turbo S, the steering is much better than the 430 but it's also very quick and sharp.

To sum up, amazing sports car, best Ferrari today I'd say. Not as feelsome as an RS 4.0, but more fun than a Turbo S without being faster. A great all round sports car!Smiley

CIMG1280.JPG

CIMG1283.JPG

Re: 458 vs Turbo S

Thanks! Great write-up as usualkiss I really enjoy reading your comparisons between different cars! wink

--

Thank you. Very great report.
    --
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Thanks Futch.  I also drove a 458 recently, and agree with all you have said with just a few additional comments.  A wonderful car, very snappy, attractive, fast and remarkable easy to drive fast.  I, however, thought the rear view was poor (especially noticeable in traffic); the interior had a plastic look, notably  the console which angles toward the driver; and the abrupt exhaust changeover from normal  to sport.as RPM increases.  This latter issue was particularly irritating as it seemed artificial.  Other than these rather minor issues, the 458 is one fine car...

Recently I sold my turbo S and bought a 458. Since then I never look back. Both awesome cars but the 458 is a step up.
    --

2011 Turbo S Cabriolet Guards Red/2tone Black Cream
    2006 Cayman S with goodies
    2005 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    2007 Toyota Hilux Bulletproof 

Thank you for the review Francois! I too agree with your sentiments in terms of styling. The plastic badge really put me off and not the mention the way it was mounted to the front of the car. It just looked really odd.

I almost felt a bit too game console like behind the wheel. Did the lack of indicator stalks irritate you as well? Smiley

I kept reaching for behind the steering wheel every time I turned into a road. Forgot everything is on buttons on the steering wheel Smiley

nice writeup....and lets put it into perspective.....the 997 is a few years old platform. the 991 turbo will be a better car than the 458....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Futch:

The Ferrari feels quicker thanks to its noise and snappy gearbox in race mode but the Turbo S is more efficient, I'm sure it's quicker in numbers.

Not really. Evo had clocked the 458 some 4s quicker than the Turbo S for the 0-150 mph sprint. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:
    Futch:

Not really. Evo had clocked the 458 some 4s quicker than the Turbo S for the 0-150 mph sprint. 

4 seconds!!! That is massive and very disappointing, and may I say, very surprising and dubious.

I've clocked my Turbo S with a performance box with 0 to 100 kmh in 3.2 secs and 0 to 200 kmh in 11.2 secs.

150 mph is about 230 kmh, so to beat 11.2 secs to 200 kmh, it means the 458 gets there in less than 10 secs, no sorry I think that is impossible.

I find it hard to believe that the 458 beats that by several seconds.Smiley

Anyhow, numbers are just numbers and at the end of the day, the 458 give a greater sense of occasion, no question, these two cars are great and the Spider version of the 458 looks even cooler.

I'd still keep the Turbo S though, a quiet storm.Smiley

Last night driving back in heavy rain at 180 kmh, supremely stable and speaking with a friend over the blutooth PCM interface, few hours before destroying a mountain road in Auvergne in Sport plus mode, four tyres glued to the tarmac. What a car!

Mike S:

Thank you for the review Francois! I too agree with your sentiments in terms of styling. The plastic badge really put me off and not the mention the way it was mounted to the front of the car. It just looked really odd.

I almost felt a bit too game console like behind the wheel. Did the lack of indicator stalks irritate you as well? Smiley

I kept reaching for behind the steering wheel every time I turned into a road. Forgot everything is on buttons on the steering wheel Smiley

Thanks guys.

I would have one in dark colors and get rid of the plastic Cavallino badge. It still looks the business overall!

The buttons on the steering wheel, I have no opinion, it's pointless but also quite cool in a way, yes a couple of times I reached for where should have been the indicator stalk.

I think it could be problematic if you own or drive other cars and need to indicate quickly like to overtake on a country road.

Futch:

I'd still keep the Turbo S though, a quiet storm.Smiley

Last night driving back in heavy rain at 180 kmh, supremely stable and speaking with a friend over the blutooth PCM interface, few hours before destroying a mountain road in Auvergne in Sport plus mode, four tyres glued to the tarmac. What a car!

That is the essence of Porsche. Substance and completeness over flamboyant show-off.

However, I wish Porsche did a mid-engined 458 rival to demonstrate how such cars should be properly done.

--

"Form follows function"

However, I wish Porsche did a mid-engined 458 rival to demonstrate how such cars should be properly done.

--

"Form follows function"

am sure they will....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Comparing the current 991 with the 997.2, I'd say that Porsche is on the right track and that, like intouch1 already correctly pointed out, the new 991 Turbo will blow away the competition.

There are however contradicting 0-200 and 0-300 kph performance numbers for the 458, so I'm not sure how reliable these numbers are. What I like a lot about the 458 is the interior (yes, there is some plastic but overall, it looks very nice) and like Francois, I love the electronic displays. Porsche introduced a similar technology (water, oil temp and oil pressure, turbo boost, etc.) to the 991 but I hope they are going to use it more extensively.

Oh, the sound of the 458 is just divine but I agree, it could get a little bit annoying if the valve is open all the time.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Futch:

Epic Smiley

I much more prefer the serious look of the 911 over the 458. Just too flashy and playfull, almost feminine to me Smiley

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Atzporsche:

I much more prefer the serious look of the 911 over the 458. Just too flashy and playfull, almost feminine to me Smiley

Actually, most women don't fall for the Ferrari look but prefer Porsche instead. You might be right. F's femininity puts them off.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Atzporsche:

Actually, most women don't fall for the Ferrari look but prefer Porsche instead. You might be right. F's femininity puts them off.

--

"Form follows function"

Haha, my wife is so opposite! She is not able to understand what's wrong with me to fall in love with PAG! Prancing horse anytime for her.... SmileySmiley

Nice comparison. Very diplomatic since you are posting on a predominately Porsche site.indecision

The Porsche Turbo is a hell of a car but for shear driving excitement nothing beats a Ferrari. 

--

dxpetrov:
    reginos:
    Atzporsche:

--

"Form follows function"

Haha, my wife is so opposite! She is not able to understand what's wrong with me to fall in love with PAG! Prancing horse anytime for her.... SmileySmiley

The exception that reinforces the rule indecision

--

"Form follows function"

nberry:

The Porsche Turbo is a hell of a car but for shear driving excitement nothing beats a Ferrari.

For a short spell of self-gratification, perhaps.

Try to do what expert owner/driver Futch describes above in a 430/458 Ferrari:

Last night driving back in heavy rain at 180 kmh, supremely stable and speaking with a friend over the blutooth PCM interface, few hours before destroying a mountain road in Auvergne in Sport plus mode, four tyres glued to the tarmac. What a car!"

You will either end up in a nasty crash or in a hospital from exhaustion, if you are lucky

--

"Form follows function"

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

reginos:
    nberry:

For a short spell of self-gratification, perhaps.

Try to do what expert owner/driver Futch describes above in a 430/458 Ferrari:

Last night driving back in heavy rain at 180 kmh, supremely stable and speaking with a friend over the blutooth PCM interface, few hours before destroying a mountain road in Auvergne in Sport plus mode, four tyres glued to the tarmac. What a car!"

You will either end up in a nasty crash or in a hospital from exhaustion, if you are lucky

--

"Form follows function"

To be fair to the 458, I think you could, both have the same tyres (potenza), what you couldn't do is speak over the phone bc of the open valve at 180 kmh, I was trying to emphasize the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde side of the Turbo here.

The sensitive steering of the 458 maybe wouldn't help either.

nberry:

Nice comparison. Very diplomatic since you are posting on a predominately Porsche site.indecision

Hi Nick!Smiley

I'd replace shear sense of occasion. The 458 hits the nail, the starter button, the hyper cool interior, the spaceship styling, the noise, all these beat the conservative 911 easy.

For shear driving excitment, I'll take a GT3 (any GT3) with TC turned off. I won't be the quickest, but I will certainly be the most excited!!!Smiley

RC:

Comparing the current 991 with the 997.2, I'd say that Porsche is on the right track and that, like intouch1 already correctly pointed out, the new 991 Turbo will blow away the competition.

There are however contradicting 0-200 and 0-300 kph performance numbers for the 458, so I'm not sure how reliable these numbers are. What I like a lot about the 458 is the interior (yes, there is some plastic but overall, it looks very nice) and like Francois, I love the electronic displays. Porsche introduced a similar technology (water, oil temp and oil pressure, turbo boost, etc.) to the 991 but I hope they are going to use it more extensively.

Oh, the sound of the 458 is just divine but I agree, it could get a little bit annoying if the valve is open all the time.

Maybe EVO that day had a melon of a Turbo S with no tyres left and a 458 on steroids?

All I can say from my experience is that they really are on par on normal roads.

I am sure the 991 Turbo will be ballistic!!!!!

I agree on the interior, I was actually very nice and a lot of leather everywhere! 

Futch:

Maybe EVO that day had a melon of a Turbo S with no tyres left and a 458 on steroids?

EVO results :

0-100km/h

997 Turbo S - 3.1s     458 Italia - 3,4s

0-200km/h

997 Turbo S - 10,4s   458 Italia - 10,0s

EVO had a solid unit of 997 Turbo S. It later did 3,1s and 10,0s in Autobild Sportscars.

Hi Futch.

I am certainly not one to argue with someone who owns as many cars as you do and has first hand experience.Smiley I drove a 997 GT3 and found it to be very manageable for my driving skills. A great track car I wasn't enamored with the exhaust sound. Too raspy for my taste.

The car I think would be exciting if I had better driving skills is the CGT. Whenever I drove it, I never had a sense of real control thus was inordinately cautious. Though it is a handful, the car provided as much if not more excitement than any Ferrari I have driven. I even prefer the sound of the CGT when under acceleration over a Ferrari.

If Porsche ever came out with a mid engine car with a similar exhaust as the CGT to compete with Ferrari, they would have a winner.

--

A couple of minor points on the 458. The Cavalino on the front is metal (I've cut my hand a few times on it washing dead flies from that area laugh) but the support bracket is plastic. I'm not sure what interior plastics people are referring to? The dash inlays are made from aluminium but sprayed with a dull silver paint to prevent heat build up and stop light reflecting .  You can always take the carbon option if you don't like the aluminium finish

Here are the dash inserts in their raw aluminium form before painting.

Aluminium dash inserts jpeg.JPG

The 458 is a great cross country car on winding roads. You just have to adjust to the width versus the turbo S, which feels much narrower from the driver's seat, and gain the confidence to push it hard. The grip is spectacular and the speed corners can be taken at is quite astonishing. The turbo S is far less dramatic but equally devastating in terms of it's pace. Both are great cars but the Ferrari ignites passion and adrenalin whereas the Porsche simply amazes at the speed and unflustered manner in which it got you to your destination.

Very true ISUK, I only had the 458 for about 30 min and that probably wasn't enough time to adapt to its width, plus the fact it wasn't mine!

The Turbo's size is easily more manageable.

I am referring to the little horse just under the front license plate, my mistake if it's not plastic, but it really felt like plastic, maybe because the metal is so thin (weight saving measures!!!!!Smiley)

Carbon inserts would look great, but you end up with a car costing a lot of money I guess, especially compared to a Turbo S!

I remember carbon trim options prices being ridiculous on the 599.

Your last phrase sums this twin test perfectly. Different toys for different tastes, thank god they both exist!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690298 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409625 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255913 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235160 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65630 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858323 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774555 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM