Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 as daily driver--experience/opinions?

hi folks,

interested in hearing from folks who use their 997 as a daily driver. i'm trying to simplify my life and go down to two cars (maybe ending up with our current audi A4 avant  and a 997). no kids but two fairly large dogs (german wire-haired pointers...). i have a 996 C4 as a third car currently (and snow tires/wheels). i do a lot of fairly long highway drives in the northeast US on a regular basis. will i end up hating the 997 and find it too confining day-in-day-out? i also ski and cycle which i'm thinking that i can handle easily with racks. my thought is that upgrading to a more recent 997 will give me a few more creature comforts (e.g., nav, sat radio, etc.) and tip or PDK ease--can't take lurching around urban traffic in a 6MT anymore... love to hear folks opinion/experience--as well as accompanying photos of dirty, well-used 997s as evidence of practical use :-) 

thanks! 

Re: 997 as daily driver--experience/opinions?

I have over 130,000km on my 997S and its a perfect daily driver, in fact its THE perfect daily driver, can't think of anything I'd rather have for daily use. I love sportcars too much to use a boring sedan o similar for daily driving, would make me miserable, buts thats just me. Just imagine the 996 with a nicer interior, a PDK gearbox, and ask yourself if you could live with it for daily use.

BTW, welcome to Rennteam Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:

Just imagine the 996 with a nicer interior, a PDK gearbox, and ask yourself if you could live with it for daily use.

+1.   Agree with everything Carlos said.  Driving should be very similar to 996, interior space marginally bigger, but better looking inside and out.

No dirty pics, my car is always clean.Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe #13;  2011 Panamera 4

I had a 997.1 C4S manual that was my daily driver . Did 65'000 km in 3 years. When skiing with it . Drove the kids around etc..

Now I have a 997.2 C2S , PDK. It has 60'000 km. It's my daily driver . I also go skiing with it 

For the long cruse on boring highways, the car can be a bit ' loud' inside, but otherwise , it is just perfect if you like sports cars,.

Here a few pics :

October0479.JPG

1323506468787a2.JPG

October0714.JPG

sale 1.JPG

132350657380323.JPG

w.JPG

1323506641024Décembre 2008 073.jpg

1323506672255Décembre 2008 184.jpg

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

hey Gnil. the 5th pic next to that precipice is an awesome pic!

kiss

Brokenladder:

hi folks,

interested in hearing from folks who use their 997 as a daily driver. i'm trying to simplify my life and go down to two cars (maybe ending up with our current audi A4 avant  and a 997). no kids but two fairly large dogs (german wire-haired pointers...). i have a 996 C4 as a third car currently (and snow tires/wheels). i do a lot of fairly long highway drives in the northeast US on a regular basis. will i end up hating the 997 and find it too confining day-in-day-out? i also ski and cycle which i'm thinking that i can handle easily with racks. my thought is that upgrading to a more recent 997 will give me a few more creature comforts (e.g., nav, sat radio, etc.) and tip or PDK ease--can't take lurching around urban traffic in a 6MT anymore... love to hear folks opinion/experience--as well as accompanying photos of dirty, well-used 997s as evidence of practical use :-) 

thanks! 

The best sports car daily driver ever...if you don't have to worry about customers, collegues, etc.

I would take PDK any time, it makes your life easier, especially during those moments when you are tired or even exhausted or in heavy traffic in the city. PDK is a must, I don't understand why so many people prefer manual. With PDK, you get both, manual and automatic.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Beautiful pictures! Thanks, Gnil.

RC, youre right about the benefits of PDK, especially in stop and go traffic. However, putting the transmission into gear and engaging the clutch, and the attending sensations, are still such an important part of interacting with the machine, and probably the only pure/ direct way that's left for doing so. Especially in the case of Porsche and the fantastic feel of their modern clutches and shifters. If i were buying a 335' say, i would avoid the manual with its rubbery clutch...

RC:
     PDK is a must, I don't understand why so many people prefer manual. With PDK, you get both, manual and automatic.

The other day I asked my dealer how many non PDK 997/991 he sells. He said : none !  And added : I had one customer who still wanted a manual, the guy is the owner off a very well know car forum .  After trying the 991 , he changed his order to a PDK.

I recall one of our friend from Cape Town saying that his GTS is the only manual  in the whole country.

So, actually , I don't think there are many people left who order it manual , expect those few hard core fans you find on these forums, but that must be less then the 1 % of the customers  Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I'm the "other" Cape Town friend that went for the PDK. I must admit, right now, I'm missing the manual - I've never even had an std auto in a sedan before. I find the pause before the change up quite frustrating, and although it's no doubt quicker than the process of doing it yourself, as you're not "busy in the process" if seems to feel longer... I haven't got used to the feeling yet - or the sense of not choosing the moment to change yourself. I'm trying not to use the paddles, and I'm sure I'll get used to it, but right now it's not happening for me...

I'm talking about the sensation during normal driving around town - of course foot straight down it's very impressive!

I'm sure I'll get used to it, and I have no regrets, as I'm sure it's simply a matter of getting familiar with!
    --

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Budster:
    I'm the "other" Cape Town friend that went for the PDK. I must admit, right now, I'm missing the manual - I've never even had an std auto in a sedan before. I find the pause before the change up quite frustrating, and although it's no doubt quicker than the process of doing it yourself, as you're not "busy in the process" if seems to feel longer... I haven't got used to the feeling yet - or the sense of not choosing the moment to change yourself. I'm trying not to use the paddles, and I'm sure I'll get used to it, but right now it's not happening for me...

I'm talking about the sensation during normal driving around town - of course foot straight down it's very impressive!

I'm sure I'll get used to it, and I have no regrets, as I'm sure it's simply a matter of getting familiar with!

It took me 50'000 km to get used to it  Smiley  Like you, I never, ever had an automatic tranny before and couldn't stand them.

I realized I got used to it when I went back to a manual GT3 for a day and was actually so disappointed by the so slow gearbox .

I  use the paddles  90% of the time( overrun ), even in the city , even if that means sometimes not getting the maximum out of the system.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil you and I have very common preferences and tastes, and since you have had both for many miles I would like to ask you, do you regret not having the manual a lot or even if you do regret it, overall you preffer the PDK in the end?

--

I love both, really!

I have 75000 km on my Carrera S 20mm suspension now and the manual gearbox is just so so good and a joy to use, it has the short throw option which is just fantastic, it's so precise and mechanical in feel.

The one from the GT3 is harder and sometimes I screw up my heel and toe but when I get it right, it's so cool. It needs time to warm up.

I have PDK on the Turbo S and it's also amazing! first I thought I'd get bored but it's a pretty amazing piece of kit, I use the paddles from time to time but the software in sport mode is usually pretty bang on and in sport plus mode, it's just insane and only for the track or mountain roads.

I feel very lucky to own both systems as I really wouldn't know which one to prefer.

Thanks for the input--and the great photos, Gnil! I love seeing dirty or otherwise well-used sports cars. A few years ago my wife and I were in Cortina when a local rolled up in a very well-used Gallardo--fly-specked and covered in road grime!

I'm also considering a new Audi S5 coupe when it comes out here in the US. I realize that it's really not the same car in that the S5 is more of a traditional GT-type offering. But it does have a bit more room and it's certainly less money and I'm not a track person anyway.... Truth be told I am also a bit worried that a 997 as my do-everything car might be a bit too flashy--which to my thinking leads me to something more stealthy like an S4/S5.... Decisions, decisions. But I really do want to get down to two cars in the household; it just makes life that much easier.

Again appreciate folks sharing their thoughts!

Carlos from Spain:

, do you regret not having the manual a lot or even if you do regret it, overall you preffer the PDK in the end?

Yes, I do sometimes regret not having the manual.  What I regret is feeling the gear changes ( out of one gear , then into another one ) in the palm of my hand  .  I miss that mechanical feeling.   And ''psychologically '', there is something ' I gave up' by going for PDK.

But..... now that I got used to the paddles , I must say I enjoy a lot changing gears instantly with the these paddles. And the contact with the aluminum paddles at the tip of my fingers is enjoyable too. ( with the buttons this is not possible )

As everything is so quick , the  car feels actually in a superior category ( speed performance wise )

The overall efficiency of the whole system  does now take over the loss  ( I think Smiley ) ( but, as said, it took me a  very long time to get to that )

Now when I drive a manual the enjoyment is more like : ''going  back to something of the past '' , a bit like driving an old timer and appreciating how it was ' before '.

It would be very had for me now to loose the speed and precision of the PDK.

For me to enjoy it, I have to drive it in manual mode + sport ( or overrun it ) . When I leave it in automatic it is only good for me when I am very lazy , or concentrating on something else, or  exceptionally when I want to do the fastest lap possible on the track ( but even then , I am often inclined not to resist shifting myself )

Strangely , the only thing I did not get used to, is not using my left leg ! Tha't still weird to me and the leg is bored Smiley

So in conclusion, I don't think I could actually go back to manual the day I will pull the trigger for the next 911.  I thought  I would go back to manual, but since my drive this summer with the  manual GT3 , I kind of let go of that idea , as the shifting was so damm slow Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Interesting reactions from PDK owners... who would say? angry

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

Thanks for your input Gnil. I just jumped today in the 997S or the first time after a weekend with the 991-PDK, and I enjoyed using the manual box again, the PDK is very eficient and fast but its just less involving. Maybe if I got used to the PDK after a long time I may grow so used to it that it would be easier to live without the manual like you, but I just don't know if that would happen, its just so much fun to drive the manual....
    --

Carlos from Spain:
    Thanks for your input Gnil. I just jumped today in the 997S or the first time after a weekend with the 991-PDK, and I enjoyed using the manual box again, the PDK is very eficient and fast but its just less involving. Maybe if I got used to the PDK after a long time I may grow so used to it that it would be easier to live without the manual like you, but I just don't know if that would happen, its just so much fun to drive the manual....

So if you were to order a 991 tomorrow you would opt for the 7 speed Manual?

--

"Form follows function"

Right now I think yes, but while with the 997 or any model before I would say that I was 95% in favor of manual vs 5% auto, with the 991 the I would say 60 to 40, and also realising that over time after a year or two driving with PDK instead of manual, that experience may change that ratio for me, I just don't if it would change in favor of PDK or manual...
    --

I would have to try both again...just in case, as I am about 53.5% for PDK, 46.5 % for manual , at the moment indecision

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Guys, try PDK on the new 991 Carrera S...you'll never look back. indecision

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I wouldn't buy a new 911 without PDK. If I wanted so much to drive a manual from time to time, I would buy an additional older/cheaper car for this fancy. Something like a Gen 1 MINI Cooper S facelift.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I wouldn't buy a new 911 without PDK. If I wanted so much to drive a manual from time to time, I would buy an additional older/cheaper car for this fancy. Something like a Gen 1 MINI Cooper S facelift.

Today I'm driving a VW Golf TDi with manual, not so much fun...I can assure you. Smiley

--

RC:

PDK is a must, I don't understand why so many people prefer manual. With PDK, you get both, manual and automatic.

Christian, this will take some time to fight out Smiley but us, the few remaining manuel guys, will enjoy changing your mind on this, trust us Smiley

--
    Off enjoying my car...

I was a manual guy too...not anymore. Surprisingly, it started with the Tiptronic S on my 997 Turbo but I'm a real sucker for PDK now and nobody will ever change that. Manual doesn't make sense anymore, even the race car industry understood, so why don't you ?! 

Being able to keep both hands on the steering wheel while doing crazy stuff beats manual by a long shot.

I bet you that the next 911 generation won't have a real manual anymore... indecision

--

RC:
    reginos:

Today I'm driving a VW Golf TDi with manual, not so much fun...I can assure you. Smiley

I agree. Our Audi TDI is a perfect match with the S-tronic (DSG).

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

I was a manual guy too...not anymore. Surprisingly, it started with the Tiptronic S on my 997 Turbo but I'm a real sucker for PDK now and nobody will ever change that. Manual doesn't make sense anymore, even the race car industry understood, so why don't you ?! 

Being able to keep both hands on the steering wheel while doing crazy stuff beats manual by a long shot.

I bet you that the next 911 generation won't have a real manual anymore... indecision

--

RC, I seem to remember you slurping the Porsche Kool Aid when the 997tt was being developed and launched and you were told by insiders that the Tiptronic S was THE set up to get for the 997tt since it worked perfectly with the electronics of the new 997tt and it was perfect for that car. After reading your "inside knowledge" I recommended a friend to get the Auto box and he still has his '08 Tip S 997tt he has never liked the auto box and likes to remind me he bought it on my recommendation, it is just like any other auto and if you don't like autos that box will not change your mind.....

I personally cannot get on with PDK, yes I can see its benefits but a fair chunk of driving pleasure for me is using the clutch and gearbox. One silly thing one can't do with any of the PDK boxes is cruise along in say 4th gear at say 50kph and as a derestricted sign looms slot it qucikly into 2nd gear and blast away on maximum attack, the PDKs have to clunk their way through and I hate all the waiting for a computer to do it all for you....

Having said all that the launch control on these PDK cars is something to behold, first time I used it properly on my Nissan GTR 2011 it had my passenger and I laughing out loud, 0-100kph in 3s is an hilarious experience Smiley

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

Let me get this straight...  without even trying the actual transmission himself frist (duh), he blames everybody else for not liking the decision HE jumpted to just based of what a friend recomended him which itself was only what he read that a third party said insiders told him? yes...brilliant, that makes a lot of sense rolleyes.gif  Smiley

--

TB993tt:

RC, I seem to remember you slurping the Porsche Kool Aid when the 997tt was being developed and launched and you were told by insiders that the Tiptronic S was THE set up to get for the 997tt since it worked perfectly with the electronics of the new 997tt and it was perfect for that car. After reading your "inside knowledge" I recommended a friend to get the Auto box and he still has his '08 Tip S 997tt he has never liked the auto box and likes to remind me he bought it on my recommendation, it is just like any other auto and if you don't like autos that box will not change your mind.....

The 997TT Tiptronic was the first Porsche auto that was faster than the manual in acceleration. It had the overboost function and the variable pitch turbochargers were linked to the gearbox electronics. Some people I know love the power delivery through the Turbo tiptronic, on top of the convenience. Some even prefer it to the PDK

Apparently, others prefer the manual gearbox interaction. That's life Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Carlos from Spain:

Let me get this straight...  without even trying the actual transmission himself frist (duh), he blames everybody else for not liking the decision HE jumpted to just based of what a friend recomended him which itself was only what he read that a third party said insiders told him? yes...brilliant, that makes a lot of sense rolleyes.gif  Smiley

--

Obviously he thought it was what he wanted but I think he saw me as being more informed about all things Porsche (compared to him) and I was reading RC enthusing about this new setup on the 997tt (I actually think I may have got RC slightly wrong as I sort of thought he was a manul guy like me who had been overwhelmed and convinced from his insiders at Porsche that this new auto setup on the 997tt was something very special - I could dig the posts up if I could be bothered but I'm sure RC will remember being very enthusiastic) so I passed on the enthusiasm...... Of course my pal doesn't "blame" anyone he is a big boy and makes his own choices Smiley

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

TB993tt:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

Obviously he thought it was what he wanted but I think he saw me as being more informed about all things Porsche (compared to him) and I was reading RC enthusing about this new setup on the 997tt (I actually think I may have got RC slightly wrong as I sort of thought he was a manul guy like me who had been overwhelmed and convinced from his insiders at Porsche that this new auto setup on the 997tt was something very special - I could dig the posts up if I could be bothered but I'm sure RC will remember being very enthusiastic) so I passed on the enthusiasm...... Of course my pal doesn't "blame" anyone he is a big boy and makes his own choices Smiley

I'm curious to know if has had chance to try the PDK and if he like that gearbox the best or is he a manual guy like us?

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691065 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410186 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256236 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235422 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858827 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775134 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM