Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 as daily driver--experience/opinions?

My pal now drives his auto cayenne diesel virtually all the time and loves it, I think it may be An age thing as even manual guys start approaching 50 many seem to start enjoying autos more particularly as daily drivers and I think this is true in his case, but he has never been a car guy in the category of most of us on here 

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

+1 - I love automatic/flappy gearpaddles on every daily car - but the involvement in the RS is on another level and I couldn't care less if I am slower in shifting - just blipping the throttle a bit while backing out of a parking-lot for example is worth a manual.... I have not yet arrived in Playstation world for the "just for fun-car" Smiley

TB993tt:

My pal now drives his auto cayenne diesel virtually all the time and loves it, I think it may be An age thing as even manual guys start approaching 50 many seem to start enjoying autos more particularly as daily drivers and I think this is true in his case, but he has never been a car guy in the category of most of us on here 

It is definitely an age thing too but not necessarily only an age thing. I have two kids, I drive to work every day and drive back home tired and hungry. I have a wife, she does various sports, usually 2 hours per day but she hates sporty cars, she loves comfort when she is in a car.

To make it short: All my life circumstances demand a comfortable and easy to use car. I actually would drive a GT3 RS on a daily basis but I can't...work...family...etc.

So I have to adapt and make the best out of it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Auto's and diesel's definitely do become more appealing with age. Some guy's also just,, errrrrrr, mature more, can I say?. Also, you can have some awesome fun/performance from some vehicles with the right diesel.

Bring on the BMW M550 tri turbo, this will be another mega practical blast drive..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Actually, if I might drop my opinion, I just love manual gearshifters.

Its that mechanical connection with the car. .You become mates... I actually wouldnt mind if the gear shifts were slower and needed more heft. After a long drive, you park the car, switch it off, stick it in first, and say thanks for the nice drive my friend.

Thats the thing missing in autos and flappy paddles.. They are mind blowingly efficient, but more 'friends with benefits' than 'passion and love'

Automatics do have their place tho, but on big cars. The most enjoyable automatic I drove was the one on the Range Rovers. its got that majestic oomph as you roll on forward at a slow pace. You dont even know if its 2nd or 3rd gear, and you dont care.

I have my 997 S (2005) - 6 speed manual - NEVER considered an automatic, NEVER will.  I don't care how many clutches your PDK has (and I can pronounce it).

My other car, bad weather only and when I need to seat more than two adults, is a Sonata - ALSO with a six speed manual.  Prior to that I had a G-35 Inifinity as my 4-door, ALSO with a 6 speed manual.

I do use my 997 as a daily driver as I have all my 911s over the years.  Shifting has never bothered me in the least.  It is not tiresome.  I do it automatically (lol).  Had many dead batteries over the years - love knowing I can roll start.  Makes me feel old fashinoned knowing I can get the car started on my own in a pinch.

There is no replacement for a manual.  Porsche recently insisted NO PDK on the GT3 or GT2 - FOR GOOD REASON!  When Porsche stops offering the 911 manual I will stop buying Porsches - except for the old ones with manuals (I may have standards but I am not crazy!)

Hate the thought of the electronic parking brake on the 991!  Need that brake handle for my 180 degree power slides and ralley turns on gravel!

HeavyMetalThunder:

Its that mechanical connection with the car. .You become mates... I actually wouldnt mind if the gear shifts were slower and needed more heft. After a long drive, you park the car, switch it off, stick it in first, and say thanks for the nice drive my friend.

Thats the thing missing in autos and flappy paddles.. They are mind blowingly efficient, but more 'friends with benefits' than 'passion and love'

Automatics do have their place tho, but on big cars. The most enjoyable automatic I drove was the one on the Range Rovers. its got that majestic oomph as you roll on forward at a slow pace. You dont even know if its 2nd or 3rd gear, and you dont care.

I understand you very well, and had  the  exact same connection to my cars, or motorbikes . But you can not compare the auto in a RR and driving a Carrera PDK in sports mode, it  like saying I do not like cars , when you  only drive a Renault Kangoo.

The more I think about the manual the more it becomes something like a : nostalgia. Something very nice, but from the past.  There is evolution and it goes with the ' assisted' gear boxes. And there is lots of future in them. None anymore in the manual as it can not evolve . 

For me there are many ways to approach a PDK. And if you know how to use it properly, you do end up having quite a good and fun and involving relationship with it Smiley It took me more then 50'000 km to get to this point, but I think I am there now.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Has anyone with PDK tried left foot braking yet?

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Yes,  I have . It is vey fun and efficient once you master it. You can help to turn the car into corners ..... a real treat when you manage the perfect curve entry with exact amount of brake and throttle . Smiley

Quite hard to master properly when you have driven ' normally' for 25 years. But the challenge is a real pleasure.

I used to do it last year, then winter came, and I kind of lost it and forgot about it. I must do it again.

But..... I used it mainly on tracks, as I do find it a bit dangerous on open roads as you can easily make a mistake as old reflexes are always there. That's also why I stopped as I was not doing it enough.

Reginos might be doing it too.

Have you ?

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

Have you ?

I do it but I need to concentrate to do it properly. I cannot do it as a routine practice. The PDK is my first automatic on a sportscar and the habit of pushing the clutch pedal for many years often confuses the required sensitivity for smooth braking. When I get it right is very effective.

--

"Form follows function"

Gnil:
    HeavyMetalThunder:

I understand you very well, and had  the  exact same connection to my cars, or motorbikes . But you can not compare the auto in a RR and driving a Carrera PDK in sports mode, it  like saying I do not like cars , when you  only drive a Renault Kangoo.

The more I think about the manual the more it becomes something like a : nostalgia. Something very nice, but from the past.  There is evolution and it goes with the ' assisted' gear boxes. And there is lots of future in them. None anymore in the manual as it can not evolve . 

For me there are many ways to approach a PDK. And if you know how to use it properly, you do end up having quite a good and fun and involving relationship with it Smiley It took me more then 50'000 km to get to this point, but I think I am there now.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

After having bought a 997.2 C2S with manual gearbox, for the very reasons that HMT mention, I have to admit that I have converted to the dark side. Two days at the ring in a rented 997.2 C2S PDK with the factory power kit was a revelation. Not only did the bloody PDK shift gears quickly and efficiently at the exact right moment, it was... take a deep breath... more fun too! With Sport Plus engaged and manually overriding at a few corners by blipping the paddles... wow! I had never expected this connection to the car and feeling with the PDK. It is like a manual, but better.

Afterwards, when getting in to my car, it felt like stone age...

Sorry for getting off topic: So, the 997 is brilliant as a daily driver, and so much more. Let it effortlessly take you to work during the week, transport your groceries in the front boot and kids in the back seats, push it to the limit on a track day on the weekend, then put the ski rack on and drive up the alps for a day in the slopes. It will outperform all disciplines. Again and again. Period.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

reginos:
    Gnil:

Have you ?

I do it but I need to concentrate to do it properly. I cannot do it as a routine practice. The PDK is my first automatic on a sportscar and the habit of pushing the clutch pedal for many years often confuses the required sensitivity for smooth braking. When I get it right is very effective.

Also I noticed that the brake pedal on the PDK is fairly far to the right; requires a bit of a kink in left leg to left foot brake.  I normally use left foot braking on any automatic car just to keep the coordination and reflexes.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753157 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430752 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258603 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255469 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79520 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868351 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801910 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM